test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The reason why STO is the best MMO out there!

I'm a physician, so my gaming time is limit. I've been playing MMos along time. I was hardcore mmo player, but now cant really do it anymore. STO is so far the most enjoyable mmo for me. I've been playing since its beginning. I guess a part of it due to my trekkie side. However, imo STO f2p system / gameplay is one of the best.

1. There is no restriction for players unlike other mmos where they put restrictions unless a premium is paid.
2. The game play is rather fun and relax. I guess the federation philosophy plays a major role in that lol.
3. There is no sense of left-behind after a long absence. Hence, STO is probably lasted a very long n long time - Live long and prosper!
4. Although I spend 90% of time playing space STFs, I do enjoy the change of scenery of ground combat.
5. Space combat experience is best.

pOST your opinion why STO is best!!

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    VERY F2P Friendly... when the DL economy isn't going crazy like it is now. Even a F2P player can get their hands on just about everything with some work.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    VERY F2P Friendly... when the DL economy isn't going crazy like it is now. Even a F2P player can get their hands on just about everything with some work.

And then all of a sudden....space hippies

startrek_hippies.jpg
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User

startrek_hippies.jpg

I'm gonna crack my knuckles and jump for joy, I've gotta clean bill of health from Dr McCoy...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Personally I prefer subscription models to f2p, they are less prone to obnoxious money grabs. Plus, cryptics f2p model leans heavily into the pay-to-win category.

But, STO has great space combat and decent story telling, which is the only reason I keep coming back
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User

startrek_hippies.jpg

How I wish.
    <3
  • Options
    shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User

-image redacted-
    They should add these as purchasable tailor options for the next summer event. Bonus points if the 'play harp' emote is included.
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    ^^^ THIS ^^^

Let loose the Summer of Love man!

Let it loose...
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,026 Community Moderator
    Personally I prefer subscription models to f2p, they are less prone to obnoxious money grabs. Plus, cryptics f2p model leans heavily into the pay-to-win category.

I'm gonna have to disagree. Its not P2W. Its Pay For Convenience. Pay to Have Now.
    I was crazy enough to GRIND out a Delta Pack. Burned myself out doing it, but if that's possible then I don't see how it can be considered P2W. The ONLY thing available to subscribers really is Vet perks over time, and Lifers get access to Veteran Destroyers and a little used social zone as well as Vet perks instantly.

Compared to games like TOR, STO's model is the best out there. I mean... in TOR you don't even have BANK access until you give EA at least $5 real money. Here... we can get pretty much anything with some effort on our part. While it is getting a bit harder with all the sales pushing the demand for Zen up, it is still possible.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2016

startrek_hippies.jpg

Herbert! Herbert!

Edit: Considering Gene Rodenberry's vision of a happy, united humanity, it's amusing seeing what he thought about Hippies B)
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    chompothal78chompothal78 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    STO is my favorite MMO because 1) Star Trek 2) some really good stories and actors. They got Nimoy to freaking launch the game. 3) Two different game systems (ground and space). If I get bored of ground, I can go to space. If I'm burned out on space, well there is always a pretty standard MMO in ground combat ( I don't use shooter mode). 4) Zone chat....typically a bit better than your average MMO, as long as people don't talk politics, the worst thing you'll probably run across is Gorn chat (minus the occasional bad seed). Some pretty good conversations happen though. The only thing I would change off the top of my head is bringing back exploration clusters.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    borg0 wrote: »
    I'm a physician, so my gaming time is limit. I've been playing MMos along time. I was hardcore mmo player, but now cant really do it anymore. STO is so far the most enjoyable mmo for me. I've been playing since its beginning. I guess a part of it due to my trekkie side. However, imo STO f2p system / gameplay is one of the best.

1. There is no restriction for players unlike other mmos where they put restrictions unless a premium is paid.
    2. The game play is rather fun and relax. I guess the federation philosophy plays a major role in that lol.
    3. There is no sense of left-behind after a long absence. Hence, STO is probably lasted a very long n long time - Live long and prosper!
    4. Although I spend 90% of time playing space STFs, I do enjoy the change of scenery of ground combat.

to me i do not find star trek online to be in the top 10 of games i have played. i mean if they got rid of that grind to level 60 once you reach level 50. it becomes a little easier to deal with. i got multiple characters that are still level 55 since this was added throught DR, but of course the players love it, dont they?

i can not put up with this grind taking days to make a level, so i decide to do other things instead of complaining about it all out.

i do have two level 60 characters one is a DR the other is my main, but thats it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    ...i mean if they got rid of that grind to level 60 once you reach level 50. it becomes a little easier to deal with...
    You must not have heard of the admiralty system. What a shame.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    The reason why STO is the best mmopg around for me is that it’s the only Star Trek mmopg around.

The only other advantage that works for cryptic is that I feel home at it after close to 4 years and enjoy it with a cool fam of players, even RL friends, for quite some time.

If they would get competition in the ST universe and/or pull of something similar to DR (which caused a lot of my friends to turn their backs on the game) ever again I intend to make a new game home elsewhere without hesitation.
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    ...i mean if they got rid of that grind to level 60 once you reach level 50. it becomes a little easier to deal with...

wow, i must not eyes any more to see? if that is your best, you are far from the mark. try better next time.
    just so happens, admiralty system is useless without good ships and a lot of them to make it work, and doing it on every character? i dont care for the grind as stated, like i said, i must not have eyes, right? wrong.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    The Best MMORPG is the one that YOU enjoy playing. There really is no other way to explain that. I play FFXIV/A Realm Reborn and Star Trek Online and I Find them to be the best ones for my personal taste.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User

wow, i must not eyes any more to see? if that is your best, you are far from the mark. try better next time.
    just so happens, admiralty system is useless without good ships and a lot of them to make it work, and doing it on every character? i dont care for the grind as stated, like i said, i must not have eyes, right? wrong.

This is not really true. If you have the free event ships you can solve the level 10 mission. Even if you don't have any of the event ships and have only free starter ships you can still go through and do high exp missions with very low requirements and just fail all the high requirement missions with 1 ship.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

I'm gonna have to disagree. Its not P2W. Its Pay For Convenience. Pay to Have Now.
    I was crazy enough to GRIND out a Delta Pack. Burned myself out doing it, but if that's possible then I don't see how it can be considered P2W. The ONLY thing available to subscribers really is Vet perks over time, and Lifers get access to Veteran Destroyers and a little used social zone as well as Vet perks instantly.

Compared to games like TOR, STO's model is the best out there. I mean... in TOR you don't even have BANK access until you give EA at least $5 real money. Here... we can get pretty much anything with some effort on our part. While it is getting a bit harder with all the sales pushing the demand for Zen up, it is still possible.

Yes, you CAN grind out dilithium for big zen purchases, but make no mistake that's not really the "intended" way to make the purchases. The only reason that's a thing is so Cryptic can justify their P2W intentions by arguing, as you did, that anything can be obtained for free.

Also, what's wrong with requiring a small payment to access some features? This is something most F2P games do, and in every one I know of a single month sub unlocks all of them. F2P MMOs are all free to download, so that's only $15 for a full featured game, as opposed to $60 for a full featured non-MMO title. And since you mention TOR, I'd like to point out that they have very similar cash shop and lockbox/pack models, but everything THEY offer is purely cosmetic, whereas everything Cryptic offers has better stats than comparable items that do not require Zen, and frequently have new gameplay mechanics as well.

If it was up to me, F2P models would not exist, because I personally feel they do more harm to the MMO experience than good. Maybe I'm just an old MMO purest, idk, but unfortunately since WoW came out no other MMO has been able to stay afloat with a sub model, which is a real shame.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    It gives you the ability to create your own storyline with Captain's log. Diverse character possibilities, including complete alien, open up the possibilities to limitless. The game has many different aspects, BOFF, DOFF, Admiralty, Space, Ground, Accolades, Exchange, Crafting, Specializations, Queues, Sector Space random encounters and Alerts, Fleet, Solo. Expanded sector space travel gives a vast feeling (although I hope it gets even bigger!), pay or not (up to you). Also, they haven't even begun to flesh out aspects of this game world that they could. For example, they could decide to create a Ferenginar that you can beam down to and run around on. Expansion possibilities are huge!
    Post edited by goodscotch on
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• Options
    mmps1mmps1 Member Posts: 381 Arc User
    There are lots of things I like about sto.

Sometimes I get in a Connie and orbit K7. Then I go to the Connie bridge and play the TOS theme tune. Can't do that anywhere else I know of.
    "Mr talks down to the peasants."
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    borg0 wrote: »

to me i do not find star trek online to be in the top 10 of games i have played. i mean if they got rid of that grind to level 60 once you reach level 50. it becomes a little easier to deal with. i got multiple characters that are still level 55 since this was added throught DR, but of course the players love it, dont they?

i can not put up with this grind taking days to make a level, so i decide to do other things instead of complaining about it all out.

i do have two level 60 characters one is a DR the other is my main, but thats it.
    What "grind"? Most of my toons hit 50 before I even finish the Romulan arc; I've got one that's sitting at 55 and waiting to go do "Frozen". (Due to my time limitations, missions are in abeyance until I finish the current event and get my new FREE ship.) None of my toons have finished all the storyline missions; my main's been doing Featured Episodes, but utterly bypassed the Borg and Breen sections of the storyline in the process. (Might go back and pick those up sometime, too.) On three accounts, the majority of my toons are at 60. And I haven't spent any money on this game. (Sometimes I feel a little guilty about that, and when I actually have some money, assuming such a happy day ever arrives, I might drop some of it here, but it hasn't happened yet.)

If you want a "grind", try getting those last five levels in CO, especially if you do the Vibora Bay Apocalypse. Gods, that one gets to be a drag about the third time through...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    I cannot say that STO is the best MMO out there because it is the only MMO that I play. However, at least I can give my reasons why I like playing it.

#1 - It is a sci-fi genre game that mostly involves space combat. I enjoyed playing Star Trek: Starfleet Command back when Interplay was still around and STO reminded me of that game. In fact, I think I am going to buy ST:SC Gold Edition from GOG.com for $6. I have more or less lost interest in playing fantasy games; the exception is probably The Elder Scrolls.

#2- It is a F2P game. Since it does not cost any money to try out the game there is no risk involved. I do not PvP in STO and it seems most do not either. Therefore, I do not consider this to be a P2W game, it more Pay for Convenience than anything else if grinding is too tedious / do not have enough time to grind as in the case of the OP.

#3 - STO is primarily a single player game. Yes, what drew my attention to this game was the fact that most of the content revolves around single player missions. Though I do participate in the queued missions when I wanna work on my reputations / grab elite marks.

#4 - Free starships. I think STO is pretty generous giving players the opportunity to earn a free top tier starship (T5 before Delta Rising / T6 after Delta Rising) 3 times per year. It may not be the exact ship a player wants, but it means that if a person absolutely does not want to spend a penny on the game, that person can still get a free T6 starship by just spending a bit of time doing the Daily Mission which only takes 3 - 10 minutes depending on the mission itself and if traveling between star systems is required (like the current omega particle daily mission).

#5 - Grinding refine dilithium means I can shave a few dollars (Zen) off of purchases from the Z-Store. That is a good balance between paying the full / sale price and grinding all the refined dil necessary to get things for free.

• Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    And I haven't spent any money on this game. (Sometimes I feel a little guilty about that, and when I actually have
    Hah, and here I am, feeling guilty about all the money I have spend on this game. :) (Without saying I dislike the game. It's not flawless, but no game is, and it scratches an itch no other game could scratch so far.)

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    The thing that keeps me hooked to this game is the tailor/character creator. I can always go back to the tailor and completely overdo my character. I have several alien characters and they started as aliens, but had careers as vulcans, orions, klingons, romulans. Our traits can also always rechosen. Where do you get that. In most games you have to pay for tokens so you can overdo your character. It is the main reason I left Neverwinter alone. I get bored with a character and I have no interest to pay for a change.

Further, I have a starbase for myself and work on it is a grind, but it is a magnificent grind, because it is not holding me back to do other stuff.
  • Options
    storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I like STO...a lot but the "BEST"? far from it. Just a few simple reasons:

-Bug City. This is probably one of the worst MMO in terms of QC. They have bugs in here since beta launched and been hardly fixed at all. A very good example is Defera Ground. Some of the maps in there have remained broken for years and years...even when there are multiple tickets/forum postings describing the issues.

-Grindfest. Most MMOs have this component. However, STO takes it to an extreme level and makes it boring to an extreme way. Same maps...same PVEs...basically same content (except for a couple of expansions). Fewer maps or story content makes so boring to grind the same stuff

-F2P model and the BOX. Some might like it..others might question it. One of the main reasons why STO is still running its servers is the box model. Ever since this MMO went F2P there has been 3/4 boxes per year. People like to have the latest shiniest and they market it well. Exploiting the human emotion to attain the latest shiniest goodies. Do we blame them? Up to you. However, they have mastered this to a science and a way to pay up for those Devs and severs with a buggy product. IMO to some degree this does create an "I win button". If you have the money you can bypass all the grind and copy "extreme DPS" builds. I have seen rich whale noobs doing a successful DPS build in less than a few weeks from starting to play. The box model had brought up the DPS race to an extreme level.

-PvP Broken...Need I say more? Then, again for those who don't PvP no need to dwell on this one. However, for some brief time it was working well. Then became the red hair stepchild of STO. Now, it is just way beyond dead since DR launched.

These are only a few from a long laundry list of bugs that anyone who has been long enough could see as well. IMO STO is a good MMO...but the "BEST"...far from it. Have you checked EVE, SWTOR or others? Some might not be pure F2P but the quality and design of those are so much better than STO. Of course, being F2P you probably will get what you paid for.​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    storules wrote: »
    I like STO...a lot but the "BEST"?
    I am working on a software that, by many magazine tests, is the best in the field.

Sometimes, on critical days, I think: "Best doesn't need to mean good"

The question is - does Star Trek, overall, actually stand worse than other F2P MMOs? Sure, it has bugs, it has its grind element and what not. But if you spend most of your time playing an MMO, wouldn't you realize all kinds of annoying flaws there, too?

And of course, there is also a lot of subjective aspects in it. Maybe there is another F2P with less grind, less bugs, more missions... but maybe it's in a setting or world you don't care the least bit about?

I guess ultimately, "best" is a subjective thing, depending on priorities and personal preferences.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    darkhorse281darkhorse281 Member Posts: 256 Arc User

You must have forgotten the Dil exchange was not season 5 CRAZY high when DR came out it was much more realistic that you could actually grind the Delta pack. Now it'll cost you about 4million Dil for that same pack, not really all that realistic that most people would be able to grind bundles of this nature anymore. If you burned yourself out on the delta pack then you wont get close now.....
  • Options
    trygvar13trygvar13 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    STO is the only game I always come back to. I can't stay away from it for long. Spent most of the past 6 years on the KDF side and just started really grinding the blue side.
    Dahar Master Qor'aS
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    There is no "best" MMO out there, and trying to say there is is only flame bait. That said, here are a few reasons why *I* like STO:

1) customization: excellent character/bridge officer/ship customization allows you to create something fairly unique

2) space and ground: while some people do not enjoy the ground combat in STO, I actually do, and the space combat is even better IMO. The combination of space and ground combat in a single game makes a great experience for me.

3) the foundry: at this point there are hundreds of excellent player made missions, meaning you can always find something new to enjoy even if you have played all of the official/dev made content.

4) solo friendly: like the OP said. I can play the game on my terms, at my schedule. I don't have to look for a group or ask other people to help me beat some hard boss. I can group if I *want* to, but I can also play everything I want alone.

5) it's 100% free: you can play every single mission in the game for free, and you can eventually earn anything you want in the game store by grinding. Yes, grinding. If it was fast or easy to earn zen, the game wouldn't make any money, so I have no problem putting in time to get things for free.

And the best part is, I don't care if anyone else agrees with my reasons. I don't care if you think there aren't enough customization options, or ground combat sucks, or player made missions are garbage, or the game is too easy, or the game is a cash grab. I don't play for you, I play for me. I enjoy the game for my reasons, and I couldn't care less whether you agree or not :D

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    Star Trek. The end.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary