test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Time and Tide

Comments

• Options
    willdojinnwilldojinn Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    I'm still annoyed nobody bothered explaining why we needed to bury a sunkiller/restorer in a hole in the ground BEFORE bothering to even attempt to fix where the tholians turned off the sun for Nak'hul. Will we get any sort of anything on that? Why did the tholians do it? Why did anyone think burying it in a hole in the ground was a good idea? why didn't we even try using it to undo the damage?
  • Options
    dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    willdojinn wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed nobody bothered explaining why we needed to bury a sunkiller/restorer in a hole in the ground BEFORE bothering to even attempt to fix where the tholians turned off the sun for Nak'hul. Will we get any sort of anything on that? Why did the tholians do it? Why did anyone think burying it in a hole in the ground was a good idea? why didn't we even try using it to undo the damage?
    I dunno. In theory, doing this would TRIBBLE up the timeline, but the thing is never discussed, and it has been bugging me for some time. It is even pointed out in the mission itself, when the Na'kuhl are pissed off about it.

It would definitely do a lot of damage to the timeline. The Na'kuhl seemed to be a major player in the Temporal Cold War (even going so far as to escalate it into a full-out conflict before Archer and company fixed things), and we know of at least one non-ENT instance where they attempted an incursion.

Remember, in the Doomsday Device mission, K'valk said B'vat had found the planet killer using information given by the Na'kuhl in the 22nd century. The bulk of this information has apparently been used by B'vat's predecessors to guide the Empire's development - it is conceivable that removing the Na'kuhl incursion by restoring their homeworld would significantly impact the way Klingon history (and by extension, the history of the quadrant/galaxy) plays out.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • Options
    sotsogmsotsogm Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    shevet wrote: »
    Oh noes! [name redacted] has stolen the super-ship!

Whatever can we do about this? We can't go back in time half an hour and take the key out of the super-ship's ignition. We can't go back in time twenty years and book [name redacted] into a high-quality anger management course. We can't even go back in time five minutes and whack [name redacted] over the head with a length of lead pipe....

... wait a minute, actually we can do any and all of these things, because we have got *bleep*ing time machines.

This is the problem with time travel as a plot element; two minutes of thinking through the implications, and you can come up with ways to break the story.

You go run around doing what Captain Walker tells you. Me, I have a length of lead pipe and am shortly going to have an appointment with [name redacted]. (And if some skinny twerp pops up, ranting about "fixed point in time" and "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry", I'll just whack him over the head as well.)

Yeah, but, but, but, see, De Nomolos can then go back in time to right before you got the lead pipe, and keep you from hitting him in the head with it, except you could go back in time to right before he kept you from hitting him... but then... but then... but then you could also go back in time to before he went back in time, and....

Look, bottom line is that this can only end one way: you go back in time with the Princesses, learn how to play good, and then return to the present to win the San Dimas Battle of the Bands and launch a golden era of peace and understanding with a cover of Argent's "God Gave Rock & Roll To You." WYLD STALLYNS!!!1!
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,514 Arc User
    STATION!

love that movie.
  • Options
    dalolorn wrote: »
    It would definitely do a lot of damage to the timeline. The Na'kuhl seemed to be a major player in the Temporal Cold War (even going so far as to escalate it into a full-out conflict before Archer and company fixed things), and we know of at least one non-ENT instance where they attempted an incursion.

Remember, in the Doomsday Device mission, K'valk said B'vat had found the planet killer using information given by the Na'kuhl in the 22nd century. The bulk of this information has apparently been used by B'vat's predecessors to guide the Empire's development - it is conceivable that removing the Na'kuhl incursion by restoring their homeworld would significantly impact the way Klingon history (and by extension, the history of the quadrant/galaxy) plays out.

then discuss it in the game. Relying on prior knowledge not handed out in the medium itself is pretty sinworthy to me. It's like every avatar fan ever pointing at the extended bible for the movie for their counter arguments over anything about the blue smurfs not being standoffish and sneering at humanity's attempts at peaceful 'hey we kinda need this stuff.'

As is I outright side with the guys who got their sun murdered and nobody lifting a finger to fix things. Give me justification beyond 'well it has to be this way.' Let my captain protest, even if it falls on deaf ears at least make it feel like the character I'm playing can at least attempt to go 'hey guys this is kinda messed up and you completely hosed those people. Not cool.'

• Options
    djxprimedjxprime Member Posts: 522 Arc User
    Trash can... Remember a trash can!
    Kkerp5u.jpg?1

"No matter where you go...there you are."
  • Options
    posianposian Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    would be nice to complete this mission but hey kinda hard when the lag is so bad I havent been able to get to past the space battle, at "New Kitomer.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    just boring: Annorax is back with an other name. the lack of imagination is pitiful
    Well, not with another name. Or back. Annorax had an understandable motivation: He wanted his wife back, someone he had an actual connection with. Noye only knows that in some alternate timeline, he had a wife, whom he has no actual emotional connection to because in THIS timeline, he never experienced that. This places his current motivation in the same category as DDOS Guy: A guy who's irrationally angry because his disagreeable personality keeps him from getting laid and is determined to take it out on everyone else. Not exactly the material of an epic villain, really...

Point to consider: Annorax and Noyes basically have opposite arcs. You really can't use the motivations of one to judge the other. Noyes' lost his civilization, saw his work subjugated and "misused" by the alliance, and was pushed over the edge by finding out abstractly he lost a personal life too. Annorax restored his civilization, didn't have to share power with another faction, but was driven on past the point of reason by a total fixation on a former life he actually knew. For Noyes it's about everything, while for Annorax it was really just about one thing.

They definitely both work, just in different ways.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    just boring: Annorax is back with an other name. the lack of imagination is pitiful
    Well, not with another name. Or back. Annorax had an understandable motivation: He wanted his wife back, someone he had an actual connection with. Noye only knows that in some alternate timeline, he had a wife, whom he has no actual emotional connection to because in THIS timeline, he never experienced that. This places his current motivation in the same category as DDOS Guy: A guy who's irrationally angry because his disagreeable personality keeps him from getting laid and is determined to take it out on everyone else. Not exactly the material of an epic villain, really...

Point to consider: Annorax and Noyes basically have opposite arcs. You really can't use the motivations of one to judge the other. Noyes' lost his civilization, saw his work subjugated and "misused" by the alliance, and was pushed over the edge by finding out abstractly he lost a personal life too. Annorax restored his civilization, didn't have to share power with another faction, but was driven on past the point of reason by a total fixation on a former life he actually knew. For Noyes it's about everything, while for Annorax it was really just about one thing.

They definitely both work, just in different ways.
    there is one commonality. They both know that they had a wife who no longer exists. But... Noye now wants to restore the TUTERIAN civilization.... and apparently he doesn't even have a firm grasp on HOW to do that yet.... Annorax at least had a good idea what he was doing even if his device didn't actually work as well as he hoped it would.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    there is one commonality. They both know that they had a wife who no longer exists. But... Noye now wants to restore the TUTERIAN civilization.... and apparently he doesn't even have a firm grasp on HOW to do that yet.... Annorax at least had a good idea what he was doing even if his device didn't actually work as well as he hoped it would.

Also, one's bald and had no facial hair and the other has a full head of hair and facial hair. Layers upon layers! :P

You can basically view them as foils of each other. There's definitely a theme at work but cryptic's done well in finding new angles in re-using the Krenim for STO.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    ^ good points. The writers really need to work a fleet fleeing in terror at the mention of (OUR NAME) into one of the episodes :)
  • Options
    bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    ^ good points. The writers really need to work a fleet fleeing in terror at the mention of (OUR NAME) into one of the episodes :)

I am reminded of this ... https://youtube.com/watch?v=RaSmassvv4w
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    What I wanna know is where Noye finds his followers: He's so disagreeable that there's only one timeline in which he manages to get laid, but somehow, he can still attract followers. Followers who, after he openly announces who you are, are still willing to fight YOU: Someone who has slain thousands in personal combat, including one Iconian, destroyed thousands of ships, and killed billions of people. You have personally killed more than anyone in the history of the universe. You are Death Incarnate.

Somehow, despite openly revealing who you are in an open hail, NOBODY thinks to run for the hills. How does he find so many fanatically loyal followers willing to face an avatar of death, but not one hot chick willing to marry him?

This would be a very good point to tackle in the next episode. There's definitely a story there (Noyes can't be the only Krenim who's unhappy with how they fared through the Iconian War, and trying to marginalize our contribution would definitely fit into that psyche), we just need to see at least part of it in-game.
  • Options
    keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    bberge1701 wrote: »

I am reminded of this ... https://youtube.com/watch?v=RaSmassvv4w

A bunch of enemy ships turning tail and running after a few lines like that from the Player Character would be an awesoooome sight XXD

Or something similar
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • Options
    megawolf0megawolf0 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    So that must mean the Fleet Admiral is so well known, enemies flee in terror at his/her warp signature coming in.
  • Options
    that would be kinda hilarious.

"Oh TRIBBLE it's (Ship name.) We didn't sign up for this TRIBBLE Noya. We're out.'

'But... but fame. Glory. rewriting the timeline.'

'Dude do you even know what this guy has done, what he WILL do? Worse, he's in that buzzy little ship of doom he's got that solo's the tal shiar, elachi, borg cubes, the undine, Vaudwar, and even took on an iconian FLEET alone... We're out.'
  • Options
    Hmm and add to that the Klingnon and Romulan captains and you have three masters of life and death.
  • Options
    megawolf0 wrote: »
    Hmm and add to that the Klingnon and Romulan captains and you have three masters of life and death.

My KDF captain killed the lord of the Klingon underworld. You can't get more metal than that :)

• Options
    megawolf0 wrote: »

My KDF captain killed the lord of the Klingon underworld. You can't get more metal than that :)

Dude you got me there. All my romulan did was beat the TRIBBLE out of the Tal-Shiar after suffering forced brainwashing. Then blew up the puppetmasters behind the tal-shiar. Then shot Hakeev in the face.

Taking on Klingon Satan is way more metal. Hats off to you.
  • Options
    aliguanaaliguana Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    and you got to Klingon underworld, Worf was all like "Dude, that looks nothing like Satan. We totally got lied to on our Klingon Opera covers.." lmao
    LUKARI GUERILLA GARDENING MILITIA - Glowing fingers are Growing fingers!
  • Options
    tinyfistedtinyfisted Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    *grin* I'm currently playing a KDF/Rommie who's partnered up with a KDF type. I did _all_ those things, including cleaning out Klingon hell with electric Q-tipped batleths. :smiley: Now who's metal? :tongue:
    86B6EC45459D17DB8AE6CD5F51C13A90CDC00A85
  • Options
    aliguana wrote: »
    and you got to Klingon underworld, Worf was all like "Dude, that looks nothing like Satan. We totally got lied to on our Klingon Opera covers.." lmao

For I am Fist!... of the House of DIO!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    What I wanna know is where Noye finds his followers: He's so disagreeable that there's only one timeline in which he manages to get laid, but somehow, he can still attract followers. Followers who, after he openly announces who you are, are still willing to fight YOU: Someone who has slain thousands in personal combat, including one Iconian, destroyed thousands of ships, and killed billions of people. You have personally killed more than anyone in the history of the universe. You are Death Incarnate.

Somehow, despite openly revealing who you are in an open hail, NOBODY thinks to run for the hills. How does he find so many fanatically loyal followers willing to face an avatar of death, but not one hot chick willing to marry him?

That's the "Hulk" effect - there's always one redneck bandit left assuming that he will succeed attacking the Hulk with a bar stool when everybody before him failed pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    What would be nice if someone in the future we meet, depending on your faction, mention some of the stuff you did in the past.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    tinyfisted wrote: »
    *grin* I'm currently playing a KDF/Rommie who's partnered up with a KDF type. I did _all_ those things, including cleaning out Klingon hell with electric Q-tipped batleths. :smiley: Now who's metal? :tongue:
    The funny part is where Kahless talks about how my Orion is an honorable warrior. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    Kahless listens... to Slayer!