test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time and Tide

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
On Thursday, January 28th, celebrate the sixth anniversary of Star Trek Online by enjoying our latest featured episode, “Time and Tide”, where captains will travel through time to witness the historical signing of the Temporal Accords.

Learn more about it here!

~Morrigan "LaughingTrendy"

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The "New Dawn" is actually supposed to be time travel all the way through? pig-9.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    So time is now the new 'final frontier'?

Would that be the old (past) frontier, or wait, the future (to be) frontier, or the sideways (might be) frontier. Been there, done that, will do that, might have done, or could have maybe will do or done that....

I'm so confused. ? :s ?
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    So there is a frontier beyond that which we originally thought was the final frontier :smile:

Let me guess: first week's mission reward is an alarm clock.

But jokes aside, I can't wait to see where we're going with this! :smile:
    We felt that this would be the best way to make an official first contact, not only with a time-traveling civilization, but with a potential Temporal Agent.

Am I seeing hints of a "Temporal Agent" spec tree coming down the pipe?
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User

Would that be the old (past) frontier, or wait, the future (to be) frontier, or the sideways (might be) frontier. Been there, done that, will do that, might have done, or could have maybe will do or done that....

I've noticed that "Final Frontier" has a better ring than "The before plus the future and sometimes the present but usually not... Frontier!"
  • danielhunter1991danielhunter1991 Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    This sounds like this is going to be a very memorable episode, I'm actually getting quite excited. Just hope I'm not disappointed.
  • dalolorndalolorn Member Posts: 3,655 Arc User
    This sounds like this is going to be a very memorable episode, I'm actually getting quite excited. Just hope I'm not disappointed.

My thoughts as well.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • danieluniversaldanieluniversal Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Based up on the lasts featured episodes that we had, this one will be amazing!

Counting down the minutes to the launch of it!

• thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    What did we do to become the historic captain? I wonder , will we see if we died? Lol

Mass genocide.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    First question: is this going to be a "solo only" mission, or is teaming encouraged. I'd love to join the "Temporal Instigations Bureau" with my son on my wing...

Secondly, I'm glad that Section 31 passed on me, now they can't force me into instigating temporal messes to "fix" their mistakes.

Thirdly, am I being given the keys to the TARDIS - I mean "temporal slingshot equations and/or a time travel device"?

Finally, what are the chances of me flying an "endgame strength" Connie/D7/T'Varo during those... instigations... that take place in the 23rd Century?
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • nrankonranko Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    I've disliked all the recent time travel stuff. That said, this might really be the titular New Dawn. Rather than stumbling through this badly fleshed out Temporal Cold War, not really knowing anything like Archer did, as a Temporal Agent we might be able to finally be an active force and shape the conflict, (within the boundaries of MMO storytelling, of course.)

I'm carefully optimistic that this might be the start of a good story arc for now.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

It's way worse that time travel invalidates everything we do that's not time travel. It doesn't make sense. Someone always comes back through time now trying to change things. We go further back, changing it back (instead of vanishing or whatever) and then they go further back and so forth. Everything that happens in the "present" is pointless because it already happened and if something happens to TRIBBLE with events is some temporal guy coming back to save the day, we just "play our part".

I hate time travel plots, at least in the way STO plays it. The Krenim story in VOY was kind of clever, for one episode though, not a whole season. And no, I don't hate time travel because of "headaches" because it's so clever and twisted, it just doesn't make sense. And yes, I love doctor who. And even there it makes no sense 90% of the time.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • storulesstorules Member Posts: 3,253 Arc User
    I love the storyline and can't wait for the event to take place.dino1-1.gif​​
    tumblr_ncbngkt24X1ry46hlo1_400.gif
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    All I ask for is an invasion from time travelers from the past, with leopard skin costumes and bone club weapons in the lock box. I'd tell you in advance how the Neanderthals really went extinct, but you don't have the Temporal Agent clearance for those sorts of spoilers yet.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Mass Genocide, when the heck did we commit mass genocide?
    lordgyor wrote: »

Well... we "accidently" wiped out the 'Sphere Builders' in that Iconian mission.

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Player beams down, does diplomacy, beams back. A piece of Trek history is made. Nothing will go wrong! :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User

You forgot your T-shirt and complimentary video of all the "Times" you've been.
    B)
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »

Well... we "accidently" wiped out the 'Sphere Builders' in that Iconian mission.

Wait, what ?
    So did we altered time, by wiping out the Sphere builders so that the attack on Earth by the Zindi, prompted by the Sphere Builders never happened?

OR ... Was the Zindi attack prompted by the Sphere builders, JUSTIFIED, by our little "accident" and occurred anyway....
    somehow.

I haven't enough bread crumbs to get home........ :s
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

edited January 2016

Wait, what ?
    So did we altered time, by wiping out the Sphere builders so that the attack on Earth by the Zindi, prompted by the Sphere Builders never happened?

OR ... Was the Zindi attack prompted by the Sphere builders, JUSTIFIED, by our little "accident" and occurred anyway....
    somehow.

I'm going to go with the second. We are the cause for the Xindi attack on Earth.

2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • tarran61tarran61 Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    With time travel, anything and everything can go wrong, Im so looking forward to this. And the rewards too..Thanks guys, Happy 6th birthday!!
    Positive thoughts.
    NeAC.gif
  • tenderbitstenderbits Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    So when I completed this mission 6 days from now, I really enjoy the way the mission will be written and how wonderful the rewards were. The only part that will not make sense to me is how when the where is to be when I was to be done with the thereafter. Other than that it is to be one of the best missions that could have been. Except for that one, remember?
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    I hope this doesn't devolve into some zany version of "I'm my own grandpa."
    klingon-bridge.jpg

• orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    I'm confused. I thought that the temporal accords were signed in the 25th century. Not in another time with a crew from the 25th century merely in attendance.

Please tell me I'm wrong.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    Jesus H. Christ ran three laps around the church, wasn't "Butterfly" and all the TRIBBLE time travel episodes before it enough of a goddamn lesson that every goddamn time you goddamn touch goddamn time travel, it burns?! That's for both the characters and the writer!
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lestrallestral Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    All you hillbilly and rednecks be careful now, ya hear! Ya don't want to end up your own grandpa doing the temporal agent thingie! :smiley: It could lead to all sorts of temporal paradox like having to wish your "Daughter-Mom" or your "Grandson-Brother" a happy birthday. :wink:

redneck.jpg
    Post edited by lestral on
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited January 2016

Wait, what ?

somehow.

I'm going to go with the second. We are the cause for the Xindi attack on Earth.

Could be. Daniels did say that history never recorded the war between Earth and the Xindi. Though if that war and the attack on Earth are a result of us changing history during Butterfly, then the effects of Butterfly hadn't reached him yet for some reason.

Meaning that because we are changing the timeline, we are the cause for the Enterprise NX 01's mission and eventually for the birth of the Federation. It might well be that the Sphere Builders are actually nothing more than a victim of changes we made, and which turned out pretty well for us.

Which makes you wonder, how can the timeline be monitored when those who monitor it are affected by the changes in that same timeline as well? Daniels himself and his role as a time agent might well be the direct result of our actions during Butterfly. And edit: Us being Starfleet captains might even be a violation of the timeline.
    starswordc wrote: »
    Jesus H. Christ ran three laps around the church, wasn't "Butterfly" and all the TRIBBLE time travel episodes before it enough of a goddamn lesson that every goddamn time you goddamn touch goddamn time travel, it burns?! That's for both the characters and the writer!

Although true, the fact remains that the mass proliferation of time travel by the 28th century is an unchangeable canonical fact. Obviously, Cryptic is extrapolating the rate of this proliferation from the increased frequency with which time travel occurred during later series and the early STO stories. :tongue:
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'm confused. I thought that the temporal accords were signed in the 25th century. Not in another time with a crew from the 25th century merely in attendance.

You're wrong. The Temporal Accords were in effect by 2769.

Infinite possibilities have implications that could not be completely understood if you turned this entire universe into a giant supercomputer.p3OEBPD6HU3QI.jpg
  • keletteskelettes Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited January 2016
    orangeitis wrote: »

AFAIK we have no information on when the Accord was actually signed, but it was definitely in place by the 28th century, and I'm guessing Starfleet's Temporal Prime Directive (and its counterparts in other factions) acted as its predecessor.

edit:
    And probably the Iconian War was the incident that eventually led to the conception of such an idea. I wonder if the Krenim had a hand in it too, realizing how dangerous a toy time manipulation / time travel can be. Heck for all we know they helped putting the darn thing together! :smile:
    "Ad astra audacter eamus in alis fidelium."
    -
    "To boldly go to the stars on the wings of the faithful."
    risian4 wrote: »

Wait, what ?

somehow.

Could be. Daniels did say that history never recorded the war between Earth and the Xindi. Though if that war and the attack on Earth are a result of us changing history during Butterfly, then the effects of Butterfly hadn't reached him yet for some reason.

Meaning that because we are changing the timeline, we are the cause for the Enterprise NX 01's mission and eventually for the birth of the Federation. It might well be that the Sphere Builders are actually nothing more than a victim of changes we made, and which turned out pretty well for us.

Which makes you wonder, how can the timeline be monitored when those who monitor it are affected by the changes in that same timeline as well? Daniels himself and his role as a time agent might well be the direct result of our actions during Butterfly. And edit: Us being Starfleet captains might even be a violation of the timeline.

Temporal shielding, perhaps?