What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #16: Undine vs. Borg Story Arc

Comments

• Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    looking forward to these, glad they now play into the story line in development the past year. now just the old romulan and cardi arcs are left in an outdated antiquated state
    I'd guess they'll revamp the Romulan story arc when they make Tovan Khev optional.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    looking forward to these, glad they now play into the story line in development the past year. now just the old romulan and cardi arcs are left in an outdated antiquated state

Honestly, I wish they'd update the Deferi/Breen Featured Episode series. It just feels... off.
  • Options
    damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Great, now they're actually removing mission content from the game. I can't say thats encouraging

They said (Priority One Podcast from this week - Al Rivera "Geko") they will bring "State of the Q" at some future time. That mission is stand-alone and had nothing to do with borg/undine story flow.
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They should just rename Season 9: The New Accord to Season 9: The New Rehash. It would seem that STO reaches a new low when they name a season based on reworking content that was already in the game and also removing one of the best missions in STO, State of Q. Maybe they are just saving it up for Season 10 to re-add with all of the other missions they have removed over the years that have yet to make a return.

The season is named after the new political situation we presumably reach through teh new FE, not the remastered content obviously.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This sounds great. Can't wait to try out the new missions!
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    damix4 wrote: »
    They said (Priority One Podcast from this week - Al Rivera "Geko") they will bring "State of the Q" at some future time. That mission is stand-alone and had nothing to do with borg/undine story flow.
    I heard that one.

Hope it has something to do with bringing those Wolf 359 kitbash ships to STO.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Great, now they're actually removing mission content from the game. I can't say thats encouraging
    I can understand why you're saying this. But I'd remain open about why/what is planned instead.

SPOILER about "State of Q": (highlight to view)

"State of Q" involves the U.S.S. Saratoga, Wolf 359 and then-Commander Benjamin Sisko.

I have a strong suspicion Avery Brooks has been (or is being) approached to reprise the Benjamin Sisko role. Or perhaps Sisko sound bites are being added from DS9 episodes (if that's contractually possible) into a revamp of "State of Q".

We players are getting a LOT of content updates with Season 9. I wouldn't be surprised to see "State of Q" brought back as a special event mission.
  • Options
    tucana66tucana66 Member Posts: 710 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Something I really enjoyed in “Fluid Dynamics” was meeting the Hylasa.

It will be interesting to see if they're still connected to the Gekli, or completely removed from that aspect of the STO storyline.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ran mission 1 and 3 over the last 2 days. mission 2 was inaccessible, i suspect tribble downtime is to correct that one right now. still, mission 3 made the borg -undine connection a bit more believable with the jars, and the appearance of an active cube, i think there is still a little more they could do to make the cube look more lively, event so though. mission 1 was just "meh" and i never got around to mission 4 in fludic space.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is awesome news! I will be sure to try these out. I'm sure the updated missions will be far better. Looking forward to fighting the Borg Undine again. That has always been one tough area to deal with.

Best part is you got rid of the Q mission. I hated it, and thought it was TRIBBLE.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tucana66 wrote: »
    Something I really enjoyed in “Fluid Dynamics” was meeting the Hylasa.

It will be interesting to see if they're still connected to the Gekli, or completely removed from that aspect of the STO storyline.

As of now, there are no Hysala in Star Trek Online.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Cardassian arc will be addressed when the next Cardassian season comes around; Romulans no idea.
  • Options
    xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Not the first time, nor even the second time for removing content. With the advent of LOR we saw the removal of the mission in Eta Eridani that you got when you collected [computer core] x 10 from running the Alhena station mission so that they could recycle the map for the rommies to have all to themselves (and yes, I still have computer cores in my banks because when asked about it a dev responded "we would never remove content without telling you" and was never heard from again on the subject). And then let us not forget the removal of the "Treasure Trading Station" mission which was the best place to farm Nausicaans for the ground kill accolade. So, this is starting to look like a trend. Remove content and revamp old content (i.e. rehashed fed missions to then call a kdf storyline). But hey, now that Cryptic has found the ring to turn all the factions/fractions into one big fluffy happy family, pretty sure removal of pvp should be coming in season 10!
  • Options
    notaris7notaris7 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This looks really good! As someone who's just coming up to playing the borg & undine story episodes for the first time, this looks fantastic! I can't wait for it to be released in Season 9.

To someone who's played this on tribble, do you know what the rewards are for playing these episodes? Will they be on a limited time event thing, or permanent rewards to get from playing the missions at any time in the future?

Looks good anyway.
  • Options
    klaituklaitu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cool, glad to see old content remastered.

How many *new* missions will there be?
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    klaitu wrote: »
    Cool, glad to see old content remastered.

How many *new* missions will there be?

1. The Featured Episode. It takes six weeks (according to interview) to remaster each of these missions and longer for an FE. Time constraints. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I hope the ground gameplay of Assimilation hasn't been changed too much - it's actually one of my favourite ground missions.

I wonder if the Hylasa and Gekli will return in the future.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Hylasa have been removed
    But... Extremely minor or not, they were one of the few pieces of neat Cryptic-Trek... (Like the Deferi!)

:(
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    orangeitis wrote: »
    I'd guess they'll revamp the Romulan story arc when they make Tovan Khev optional.
    I just wanted to make a comment on this: you do realize that the revamping of the Romulan missions has nothing to do with the Romulan Republic, I hope. The revamp is for the Federation missions that have to do with the Romulans themselves, like the missions in Alpha Centauri block, Psi Velorum, and Iota Pavonis blocks.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    mvp333 wrote: »
    But... Extremely minor or not, they were one of the few pieces of neat Cryptic-Trek... (Like the Deferi!)

:(

Are you being sarcastig?

I consider both the Deferi and the Hylasa to be abominations. At least we got rid of the Hysala. :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    namreefnamreef Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is good. They are making the STO-story more cohesive by retconning and cleaning up things. It's good to start with episode arcs because they are what many players get to before the endgame content. [So chill on the episode/content removal hype.] I'm sure it will make sense and flow even better now.

Also, listening to developer interviews (on podcasts like PriorityOne) might help elimate concerns, which can become silly posts, so check them out sometime.

Looking forward to enjoying the S9 update!
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I consider both the Deferi and the Hylasa to be abominations. At least we got rid of the Hysala. :rolleyes:

Why? The Deferi have a decent cultural hook which gives them a unique perspective of the galaxy - I don't see why they would be considered "abominations."

The Hylasa are less fleshed out, but I hope we see them again. Their symbiotic relationship with the Gekli is interesting.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    nyx219nyx219 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can't say I'm heartbroken, the Undine missions always felt "off" to me, not very Trek. Celestara Mex rubbed me the wrong way more than the Hylasa did, she seemed like an unnecessary addition whereas a Betazoid or another established telepathic species would have been more than sufficient. IMO, an Aenar would have been a perfect fit for the role.
    xablis wrote: »
    And then let us not forget the removal of the "Treasure Trading Station" mission which was the best place to farm Nausicaans for the ground kill accolade.

Huh?? I just played that one a few days ago, Marta's still being kept in the cargo bay. I think you mean "War Is Good For Business", that one was removed in January.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Why? The Deferi have a decent cultural hook which gives them a unique perspective of the galaxy - I don't see why they would be considered "abominations."

The Hylasa are less fleshed out, but I hope we see them again. Their symbiotic relationship with the Gekli is interesting.

I just don't like them.
    The Deferi are to whiny for my tastes, and the Hylasa? I don't like the looks (too humanoid, too standard for such a strange realm), and of course they aren't fleshed out enough... but I despise the idea of standard humanoids living in fluidic space alongside Species 8472.

I can get along with Gekli living there. But humanoids? Nah, I don't like it.

Of course, if Cryptic would make a good story... I can always change my mind. At this stage I am just glad they are gone.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I just don't like them.
    The Deferi are to whiny for my tastes, and the Hylasa? I don't like the looks (too humanoid, too standard for such a strange realm), and of course they aren't fleshed out enough... but I despise the idea of standard humanoids living in fluidic space alongside Species 8472.

I can get along with Gekli living there. But humanoids? Nah, I don't like it.

Of course, if Cryptic would make a good story... I can always change my mind. At this stage I am just glad they are gone.
    where is it stated that the Hylasa are from Fluidic space at all? I don't remember reading anything like that in the lore from doing the missions, so, where is it stated that they're originally from the Fluidic space?
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    where is it stated that the Hylasa are from Fluidic space at all? I don't remember reading anything like that in the lore from doing the missions, so, where is it stated that they're originally from the Fluidic space?

So they are immigrants? Great. Settle the realm with the omnicidal, hyper advanced killer species. Smart move.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ltdata96 wrote: »
    Awesome, thx ;)

If I remember it correctly, the Hylasa state that the Undine enslaved them and the Gekli and many other species. Implying that Fluidic space has a diverse population of life forms. While never outright saying it, it certainly implies that the Hylasa are from fluidic space.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    If I remember it correctly, the Hylasa state that the Undine enslaved them and the Gekli and many other species. Implying that Fluidic space has a diverse population of life forms. While never outright saying it, it certainly implies that the Hylasa are from fluidic space.

That's another reason I don't like them.
    They break one of the few established things about fluidic space and Species 8472. They communicated telepathically to Kes that they destroyed every other lifeform in their realm.

Of course they could have been wrong or it's their form of propaganda, yes.
    But Cryptic doesn't even handwave that out of the way. They are introducing us the the Hylasa without good reason, and it was poorly executed as well.

So we have a species without any merit to its own, without a good story and that breaks established canon.
    That's the ingridients for a proper abomination in my eyes. :P

The symbiotic idea with the Gekli is okay. But they need to expand upon it, or scratch it entirely. How it was just doesn't work.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    State of Q is my absolute favorite (non Foundry) mission.

I dearly hope it's just a temporary removal and they're going to add it back with John de Lancie voice overs or something. As it is, I can't play that mission withOUT hearing his voice for all of Q's dialogue.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tangolight wrote: »
    State of Q is my absolute favorite (non Foundry) mission.

I dearly hope it's just a temporary removal and they're going to add it back with John de Lancie voice overs or something. As it is, I can't play that mission withOUT hearing his voice for all of Q's dialogue.

Wrong Q....
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!