What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #16: Undine vs. Borg Story Arc

Comments

• Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is what I'm most excited for in season 9.:)
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Wrong Q....

I know it's Q Jr. but I still hear the voice in my head with John de Lancie's voice.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    sisteric wrote: »
    If I remember it correctly, the Hylasa state that the Undine enslaved them and the Gekli and many other species. Implying that Fluidic space has a diverse population of life forms. While never outright saying it, it certainly implies that the Hylasa are from fluidic space.
    Enslavement doesn't mean they're originally from Fluidic space. It's the same as saying that the Lazon II penal colony had Klingons and other races on the planet and that those people were originally from there. So, just because the Hylasa were enslaved by the Undine while inside Fluidic Space doesn't mean the race is originally from that space.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Enslavement doesn't mean they're originally from Fluidic space. It's the same as saying that the Lazon II penal colony had Klingons and other races on the planet and that those people were originally from there. So, just because the Hylasa were enslaved by the Undine while inside Fluidic Space doesn't mean the race is originally from that space.

And you have any indication that the Hylasa migrated to that lovely realm?
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tangolight wrote: »
    State of Q is my absolute favorite (non Foundry) mission.

I dearly hope it's just a temporary removal and they're going to add it back with John de Lancie voice overs or something. As it is, I can't play that mission withOUT hearing his voice for all of Q's dialogue.

I'd really like toe see de Lancie voice some sstuff for STO but in February at a convention, he stated he would not do anything more Trek related. I do hope the mission returns sooner than later.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    nyx219 wrote: »
    Huh?? I just played that one a few days ago, Marta's still being kept in the cargo bay. I think you mean "War Is Good For Business", that one was removed in January.

I stand corrected, those two were fairly close together in the fed story progression if I recall correctly, and it has been a couple years since I last leveled a fed toon.
  • Options
    zeuslegion1zeuslegion1 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Stop violating the Temporal Prime Directive!!!

(seriously though, these retcons sound awesome)
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Since you're going back and retouching all of the Borg missions, would it be possible to make the infected complexion a full body skin for all the Liberated Borg Captains?
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    speaking of lost content....

you know what I really miss.... The DS9 True Way Action. That was so fun. Now that's something I would play over and over.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I need to know if/when the lifetime subscription sale is going to happen, that usually coincides with a new season release?

Also, what kind of a mark down can i look forward to seeing? If MSRP is $299 USD, its gone as low as $100's in the past.

Thank you, any info or redirect would be appreciated
  • Options
    adwynythadwynyth Member Posts: 369 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why specifically are we losing our only Q episode?

Are we getting another one to replace it?

We love Q! Don't take him away.
  • Options
    revandarklighterrevandarklighter Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, the old concept...

Instead of adding new missions they change mission that were at least all right... if not awesome (sorry, assimilation was still one of the best missions in game, no need for change) instead of adding new ones.

I don't get that logic.

Yes, the new missions may be better then the old versions, but that was hardly more effort then just adding NEW missions and keeping the good old ones.
    Also, just removing missions is the continuation of a habit that makes NO SENSE AT ALL.

All that makes me question the mental state of the "person in charge" to put it nicely.

I can't repeat it often enough: We finally need an executive producer that knows what he is doing before we can even thing of any gameplay specifics. This is only one more of dozens of proofs.
  • Options
    derrico1derrico1 Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So, the old concept...

Instead of adding new missions they change mission that were at least all right... if not awesome (sorry, assimilation was still one of the best missions in game, no need for change) instead of adding new ones.

I don't get that logic.

Yes, the new missions may be better then the old versions, but that was hardly more effort then just adding NEW missions and keeping the good old ones.
    Also, just removing missions is the continuation of a habit that makes NO SENSE AT ALL.

All that makes me question the mental state of the "person in charge" to put it nicely.

I can't repeat it often enough: We finally need an executive producer that knows what he is doing before we can even thing of any gameplay specifics. This is only one more of dozens of proofs.

if im correct they stated they wanted to make it over adding commander ben sisko in that mission so untill then we may have to wait
  • Options
    markdbmarkdb Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well that sucks about the state o Q mission. It was my favorite in these missions. :(
  • Options
    mli777mli777 Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    In regards to State of Q. Perhaps we wouldn't have John de Lancie, but perhaps his son, John Keegan de Lancie, who plays the Q of this mission. It's a far shot, but would be hilarious. :cool:
    USS Canada
    N.C.C. 171867
    Sovereign Class
    Saint John Fleet Yard
    "A Mari Usque Ad Mare"
  • Options
    furiousfeenixfuriousfeenix Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm somewhat sad to see the last mission in the Undine Advance go, playing it stinks but what you find at the end of the mission really excited me and brought everything together for Legacy of Romulus. It really sparked my imagination and excitement for what I thought was to come story wise.

I am sad to see that is being revised...

I'm trying not to drop any spoilers so I have to be vague, but when you find out why the Undine became hostile and moved beyond fluidic space, bringing the 'understanding' between the Federation and the Undine to an end, That was a pretty cool moment.

Of course I guess overall storyline wise it only worked well if you had completed it before the release of LoR.

Anyway, I suggest you play it before it goes, then try to set your mind back to before the release of LoR and look at it from that perspective.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Season 9 should not be called A New Accord, it should be called Recycled.

Not only did they recycle a portion of what we should have got in Season 8, they "revamped" missions and revamped ESD.

Its sounds to be me that the Devs are running low on ideas or starting to put their eggs into bigger baskets and giving us piece meal new content.

The only new content we are getting is new kits, a new rep, a new lockbox, and three new missions.
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Season 9 should not be called A New Accord, it should be called Recycled.

Not only did they recycle a portion of what we should have got in Season 8, they "revamped" missions and revamped ESD.

Its sounds to be me that the Devs are running low on ideas or starting to put their eggs into bigger baskets and giving us piece meal new content.

The only new content we are getting is new kits, a new rep, a new lockbox, and three new missions.

Goooooooooooooooooood.
  • Options
    firkins27firkins27 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mli777 wrote: »
    In regards to State of Q. Perhaps we wouldn't have John de Lancie, but perhaps his son, John Keegan de Lancie, who plays the Q of this mission. It's a far shot, but would be hilarious. :cool:

I think he works for the US State Department now.
    Find me in game @firkins
    On twitter: @The_Firkins
    Or on twitch: www.twitch.tv/firkins1234
  • Options
    notaris7notaris7 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This looks really good! As someone who's just coming up to playing the borg & undine story episodes for the first time, this looks fantastic! I can't wait for it to be released in Season 9.

To someone who's played this on tribble, do you know what the rewards are for playing these episodes? Will they be on a limited time event thing, or permanent rewards to get from playing the missions at any time in the future?

Looks good anyway.
  • Options
    irwin109irwin109 Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Looking forward to seeing what the revamps look like but it's a massive shame State Of Q has gone, it had some nice subtle mentions of the Iconians, if you read it. I loved the idea of helping the Saratoga reach it's 'true' demise too.
    IrwinSig-1.jpg

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    so ep2 was stealth fixed on tribble as suspected because there is nothing in the patch notes about it. so got around to missions 2 and 4.

mission 1 was just "meh" and didnt enjoy the person who did Andrews VO in the dominion FEs who did the romulan commander, that Canadian accent which could mistaken for scottish is there and makes the romulan commander very unbelievable, i think PWE should have someone else do that part at some point.

mission 2 is alright, nothing special but it does explain what happens in mission 3. one person makes their return and one i wouldnt protect in a million years.

mission 3 was better althought there are some improvements to the borg ship maps that could make it more enjoyable, especially at longer range, above and below.

mission 4 is a ride into fludic space, no gekli or that alien gen race. but as we all know the iconians were upto something with the 8472 you get to find out what. The Venture may have a part to play yet (honestly i thought that ship was added to this mission strictly for the galaxy class fan boys).
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The retconning is getting strange now. We're going back and explaining future connections (in the story) by changing previously existing, important connections. (Ie. the Iconian agitation of the Undine). Surely changing this sort of stuff now is just going to add confusion?

I'm sure it'll work out in a solid replay from start to finish, I'm curious to see how.
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Shame about losing State of Q but hopefully it'll come back even better later on.

Does anyone know where these fit in the timeline? Like, are they still shortly before sphere of influence? Or are they now supposed to happen after the new feature episode?
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The retconning is getting strange now. We're going back and explaining future connections (in the story) by changing previously existing, important connections. (Ie. the Iconian agitation of the Undine). Surely changing this sort of stuff now is just going to add confusion?

I'm sure it'll work out in a solid replay from start to finish, I'm curious to see how.

try to remember this whole 8472 stuff back then was very basic, just weak mud to the cracks in a mudbrick wall, they finally got around to it, knocked out the wall out and replaced it with something that makes sense, bricks and cement. back then the idea of the iconians being the bad guy was very new and lack of resources and engine limitations, artists and such. but with all upgrade going off, the developers can right the wrongs. this may have been their intent in the first place, its only now its got the upgrade the devs wanted from the start.

the cardassian section of the galaxy will likely be the next target after the expansion later this year, its the only major part of the trek arc missing on STO that needs its upgrade.

it doesnt confuse anything, it just makes each connection a lot more clearer.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    teklionbenrashateklionbenrasha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No doubt this is already sorted...but isn't a Light in the Dark where we <spoilers>destroy an iconian gate in Fluidic Space</spoilers> which Tuvok talked about in ASBS?
  • Options
    kianazerokianazero Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Why? The Deferi have a decent cultural hook which gives them a unique perspective of the galaxy - I don't see why they would be considered "abominations."

The Hylasa are less fleshed out, but I hope we see them again. Their symbiotic relationship with the Gekli is interesting.

They look funky and their Hat doesn't make much sense. "If you cannot agree to fight the Borg as one, then we will Balance that out by not fighting the Borg at all. We consider cultural suicide to be preferable than joining an uneven, and therefore unBalanced, coalition."
  • Options
    grtiggygrtiggy Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    as awesome as this is... why are missions being "Removed"... surely removing content is a bit counter productive.. unless its being reworked but there should be a mention of it at least.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I need to know if/when the lifetime subscription sale is going to happen, that usually coincides with a new season release?

Also, what kind of a mark down can i look forward to seeing? If MSRP is $299 USD, its gone as low as $100's in the past.

Thank you, any info or redirect would be appreciated

Lifetime subscription sale price is $200, normal price is $300. I bought my lifetime sub November 24, 2013 when it was on sale and I don't recall there being a sale since. Usually it goes on sale 2 or 3 times a year, so I'm guessing it will go on sale sometime in the next few months, also possible when season 9 launches in a couple days. They're due for it soon.