test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 9 Dev Blog #16: Undine vs. Borg Story Arc

pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Hailing All Captains! With Season 9: A New Accord, we are excited to announce that we have gone back and reworked Borg and Undine story arcs! Jaddua Ross, Content Designer explains the updates we've made to previous episodes that come with special new rewards! Read more about the changes in the latest entry of the Season 9 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.

~LaughingTrendy
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    boogieman624boogieman624 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    More Tuvok, Yay!
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited April 2014
  • Options
    ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    We have reset the mission completion so you will earn special rewards even if you’ve completed the previous versions in the past.

Awesome, thx ;)
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Cool! Thank you!
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    rifter1969rifter1969 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Really nice!

And awesome timing as I have three new captains getting ready to move into that part of the story line.

Thanks!!!!
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Telling us what these rewards are would be nice
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Why am I helping Tuvok to rid fluidic space of a Borg invasion fleet when this would in effect be helping the Undine who are invading normal space? Yep, the Federation is totally in league with the Undine and the Empire wants no part of helping these fools help the Undine to conquer our space!
  • Options
    sirboulevardsirboulevard Member Posts: 722 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robeasom wrote: »

You guys could just pop onto tribble... Just saying the rewards are there. The big one being the one-off Mk XII [Borg] Transphasic Torp.
    xablis wrote: »
    Why am I helping Tuvok to rid fluidic space of a Borg invasion fleet when this would in effect be helping the Undine who are invading normal space? Yep, the Federation is totally in league with the Undine and the Empire wants no part of helping these fools help the Undine to conquer our space!

The Klingons sent a fleet too. You get the IKS Klinzhai as a party ship :P

Basically its to get the borg to stop provoking and assimilating Undine. Also you find out WHY they're attacking normal space (new retcon, yay!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TRIBBLE Hydra! Hail Janeway!
  • Options
    damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Good to hear Tuvok will appear in those episodes too :)

You should be patient and play those missions to see what is the story.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Loving the new missions, though I wish this particular arc was longer, even if it does roll into the STFs.

This looks great, and I'm hoping that the vista you're talking about is that sweeping hollow Borg cube view like at the opening of First Contact.

So what you're saying is that you want to fight Assimilated Undine regularly? You want the Borg to acquire the most powerful biotech in history.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Even though diplomacy with the Undine is highly unlikely, keeping the Borg from making any headway with them is still good strategy. Even if the Undine don't appreciate it, I'd much rather fight the Borg and the Undine separately than fight Borg Undine. They'd curbstomp us all.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    But I liked “State of Q” and “Light in the Dark.” :( Hopefully they'll comeback remastered in the future. Oh well, when you gotta retcon so things make sense then you gotta retcon.
  • Options
    dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    looking forward to these, glad they now play into the story line in development the past year. now just the old romulan and cardi arcs are left in an outdated antiquated state
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,414 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I won't spoil the surprise yet for all of those who have not played it at tribble.

To the devs i would like to point you to a bug report i made earlier today regarding one of the revamped missions. I'd be unfortunate if that would slip though the cracks.

B.t.w. i love the new layout for the borg cube in assimilation, but the missions feels a lot easier than the original including the Borg-undine mini boss.

I would like to see the original assimilation mission return. I always loved testing anti borg tactics on elite difficulty on that mission.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that you want to fight Assimilated Undine regularly? You want the Borg to acquire the most powerful biotech in history.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Even though diplomacy with the Undine is highly unlikely, keeping the Borg from making any headway with them is still good strategy. Even if the Undine don't appreciate it, I'd much rather fight the Borg and the Undine separately than fight Borg Undine. They'd curbstomp us all.

Exactly, both the Borg and the Undine are the enemies of the Federation, therefore....
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I'd much rather fight the Borg and the Undine separately than fight Borg Undine. They'd curbstomp us all.

Pity. I would really like to see the Iconians confronted with Borg Undine.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Exactly, both the Borg and the Undine are the enemies of the Federation, therefore....

Therefore what? You really "think" like a Klingon, don't you? :D
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • Options
    boogieman624boogieman624 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2014

No Borg, Kdf Alliance.
    No Borg Alliance Period.
  • Options
    colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ive played thru some of it on Tribble and I have to say it is better and you do feel like you are in a Cube. Only criticism is that in the old version you fought a lot of Borg. The new version just felt a bit sparse on mobs. Saving the other parts for live...

Hope they did rework some of it because being Klingon and Romulan it just didnt seem plausible that we'd be doing so much for a weak alien race. It was just too helpful and like many other missions just felt shoe horned into the KDF storylines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    quasar0541quasar0541 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    And they did it again: Removing missions with accolades which are now never to get. I hope at least the accolades in the remasterd missions are not lost!:(
  • Options
    starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Absolutely Fantastic!

Speaking as someone who hasn't played though this story-arc I now feel like we're getting a new feature episode series with this update, in addition to the Surface Tension episode!

Well done to all involved, you really are pulling out all the stops with these season updates! :)
  • Options
    xlocutusofborgxxlocutusofborgx Member Posts: 1,376 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is great, you guys revamped old missions that we can now replay over and over again. STO REPLAY ONLINE, should be the new title of the game, since it seems all you guys do is go over old content over and over again....:rolleyes:

just some feed back
    borgsignaturecopy2-zpse8618517.png
    R E S I S T A N C E - I S - F U T I L E
  • Options
    crichtonsrcrichtonsr Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a question that I hope doesn't sound antagonistic or negative - why does season 9 remove content? I read the blog and it doesn't answer this question really. Can you please help me understand the reasons for why State of Q and Light in the Dark were removed?

I am kind of looking for an under-the-hood answer, whether it be a positive change to story flow with teasers or process of changing the story as was in the game previously, or a system compatibility reason, or an art corruption reason, or something that would help me and the rest of the STO-story craving community understand the grand-plan for how this improves our experience.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited April 2014
    Ill miss the Q missions I thought that was an interesting time hop plot. That said Im looking forward to replaying these a lot. Its nice to get an episode chain thats been fixed up and updated. Now if only youd add new episode chains like that instead of grindfest plot snippets at reputation tiers.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    This is great, you guys revamped old missions that we can now replay over and over again. STO REPLAY ONLINE, should be the new title of the game, since it seems all you guys do is go over old content over and over again....:rolleyes:

just some feed back

So the fact they want to fix the story because it was a jumbled mess is something you don't approve of?

These four missions are almost nothing like their original versions. 2 of them are completely different than the originals to the point only some vague similiarities are the links between them.

And if this trend continues - thats a good thing. The Cardie arc has some pacing issues (bouncing between Mirror U & True Way) and the Romulan Arc has some truly atrocious issues (the one with Admiral Zelle, anyone?).

They're trying to fix what was broken by them having to make the game in a year. They're giving the story more cohesion and once its all done - guess what? They'll have the story in a good place to start progressing it again.
    crichtonsr wrote: »
    I have a question that I hope doesn't sound antagonistic or negative - why does season 9 remove content? I read the blog and it doesn't answer this question really. Can you please help me understand the reasons for why State of Q and Light in the Dark were removed?

I am kind of looking for an under-the-hood answer, whether it be a positive change to story flow with teasers or process of changing the story as was in the game previously, or a system compatibility reason, or an art corruption reason, or something that would help me and the rest of the STO-story craving community understand the grand-plan for how this improves our experience.

State of Q was removed because they felt they couldn't do it justice. Geko talked about it on Priority One. They may bring it back later (they want to get Avery Brooks for it as Sisko).

A Light in the Dark doesn't fit the changed story at all. It just had to go for the sake of maintaining better continuity. There's still elements of it though in the remaster.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    robeasom wrote: »

Some green and blue junk TRIBBLE that will be recycled lol.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2014

Nuh-uh. I've seen them on TRIBBLE, they're pretty good IMO. Especially with what "Fluid Dynamics" nets ya.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It's some pretty interesting timing for this revamp. Not a few days before the revamp was introduced on Tribble, I was complaining to my buddy that the old Borg missions suck and that I skipped them on my new alt. I know that this was in the works long before that, but I just find the timing to be amusing. Although now I'll go back and do these missions on that alt. :P
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Its all Purple Mk XI or better gear.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,529 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    They should just rename Season 9: The New Accord to Season 9: The New Rehash. It would seem that STO reaches a new low when they name a season based on reworking content that was already in the game and also removing one of the best missions in STO, State of Q. Maybe they are just saving it up for Season 10 to re-add with all of the other missions they have removed over the years that have yet to make a return.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • Options
    lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Some episodes were removed (“State of Q” and “Light in the Dark”)

Great, now they're actually removing mission content from the game. I can't say thats encouraging