What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi discussion [SPOILERS]

2»

Comments

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Actually... Yoda said that nothing was lost that Rey already posessed. Guess what she had? The books that were in the tree. You can see them when Finn opens a panel for a blanket at the end.

As to her being easy to manipulate... Rey seems to have a strong will, probably based on her history as a salvager in a desert junkyard. And that will is paired with some determination now. If Snoke got to her before her resolve was built up, like say around the time she was captured and taken to Starkiller Base... MAYBE she would have turned. But the Rey that he saw before him was a lot more defiant and idealistic from not only her time with the Resistance, but speaking with Luke.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I hope she's not. I'm tired of having a dynasty of chosen ones around whom everything revolves. IMO, the best heroes are the ones who aren't chosen by destiny, but rather happen to be in the right place at the right time and have the capacity to stand up and do great things.

And speaking of repeating past mistakes, Rey a Skywalker would be really, really weird given the romantic subtext between her and Ben.

The Powers That Be have said that the mainline movies center around the Skywalker family.

As for romantic subtext... could say the same about her and Finn (taking into account TFA) or to a lesser extent her and Poe. Even then... anyone forget the kiss Leia gave Luke in Empire Strikes Back?

I do remember Luke and Leia's kiss. Hence my line about repeating mistakes.

There's already plenty of focus on the Skywalkers. Setting aside Luke and Leia's roles, our primary antagonist is Ben Skywalker.

Let Rey's parents be nobodies. Heroes are not born, they're made.

Some think that this is the point of her parents being nobodies.

But Rey is still not "made a hero". She just has this random force gift, like so many other Jedi before. Maybe her force gift is even more special than that of any other (just like Anakin already had a stronger gift in the force like Jedi before him), but it is still something given her by random chance. It's not that she rises to the occassion due to the challenges she is facing. She was given an exclusive gift. She has a choice on how to use it, or to not use it all, but other people don't have this choice, because they weren't born with this gift.

If anything, they would need to stop with the idea of only particular people being force sensitive - instead show that _everyone_ could master the force, if they just had the dedication and conviction for it.

Also, not to forget: Jedi are seperated from their family in the time o the Old Republic, and are not supposed to have their own families. That means other than the Skywalkers, most Jedi that existed quite possibly were just random nobodies to begin with. Obi Wan, Yoda, they all weren't kids from a powerful Jedi dynasty.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    starswordc wrote: »
    The entire movie was a slow speed chase in space that didn't even make sense, because there was literally nothing stopping the first order from splitting up it's Star Destroyers, making short hyperspace jumps to surround the Resistance, and kill everyone except Rey, Luke, and Chewie. Thirty minutes in the entire Resistance should have been destroyed, but wasn't for some bizarre reason, and Finn and Rose's subplot was a pointless waste of everyone's time because it ultimately had exactly zero impact on the plot.

I've seen people complain about feminism ruining the movie and I wholeheartedly disagree with that notion, but the movie itself was just stupid and there was nothing 'very good' about it except for a few action scenes. It makes the worst of the 'Legends' books look amazing in comparison.

Now, to answer the non-Hollywood Tactics part of this post, i.e. why I think you've failed to divine the point of the movie.

The movie's central themes? Twofold: that even mythic heroes are fallible humans, and how to deal with failure.

Poe Dameron's arc, for instance, is about him, the stereotypical gung-ho "damn the torpedoes" ace pilot, learning to pick his battles better. At the start of the movie he's doing the typical one-man-fighter-against-a-superweapon thing. From a tactical standpoint, he succeeds, he destroys his target. Here's the problem: strategically, the target wasn't mission-critical. The objective of the Resistance wasn't to be Luke Skywalker at Yavin, it was to be Carlist Rieekan at Hoth: evacuate their stronghold while preserving as much of their forces as possible. He accomplishes this mission initially by diverting Hux's attention until the last transport can launch, but then he loses track of the mission objective, frontally attacks the dreadnought, and even though he succeeds in destroying it, the Resistance loses most of its fighter cover and all its bombers in the process. That's why Leia busts him: his forces suffered unsustainable losses to achieve an unnecessary objective, against a direct order from his superior officer.

Similarly, the Dameron/Finn/Rose plot. He goes off half-cocked again: against direct orders to stand down, he hatches this long-shot plan that succeeds only in ruining a less dramatic but more realistic plan hatched by his superiors. He tries it again in the battle on Crait, mission fails, and finally he learns to pick his battles and runs for it when Luke, Rey and Chewie give him an out.
    The problem seems to be a broken Aesop here.

At the time he decided to destroy the Dreadnought, it doesn't seem like it's mission-critical. But when they realize they are tracked and the enemy fleet is behind them, that Dreadnought would likely have caused a serious problem, since they were clearly extremely worried about its firing capability, and it took some time for the Rebels to get their distance to the other ship before their fire was ineffective.

Also, he didn't object to Holdo's plan. He objected to having no plan at all. Sure, maybe he should have just trusted her, but on what basis would he (or we) do that? If he had known the plan and decided it was TRIBBLE, then it might work a lot better.

And it's not really as if "failures" are new in Star Wars. Empire Strikes Back (and kinda the prequel trilogy) are all about failures.
    We also already know how to deal with them - you regroup and hatch a new plan.
    Failure, and learning from it. It's repeated again and again: Luke's failure to resurrect the old-style Jedi Order, Snoke's failure to turn Rey, Rey's failure to turn Ren and vice versa, Ren's failure to finish off the Resistance.
    Luke's failure however is completely undeserved. We never see how it came to be.

And failure of Snoke to turn Rey? Come on, we've already seen Palpatine fail to turn Luke, that's not something surprising or new in Star Wars.

Similarly, that heroes are only human? It's as good as stated in the scene where Finn tries to get off the ship to protect Rey: Rose is squeeing over meeting a hero of the Battle of Starkiller Base, right up to the part where she realizes (she thinks) that he's trying to desert after her sister was killed taking out the dreadnought. Then she's furious at him.

In this fashion the movie is at its base a deconstruction of much of the Star Wars mythos itself: it deals directly with the Jedi tendency to create their own villains in a way Revenge of the Sith didn't, and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords did. The Rebel Alliance didn't succeed only because it had Luke the hotshot "lost prince", it succeeded because a lot of people worked together. Lando Calrissian, Wedge Antilles, and Admiral Ackbar weren't even Force-sensitive but they were the ones who landed the killing blows against SSD Executor and Death Star II. Rey has no connection to the Skywalkers, she's just some random girl from a nowhere planet. Instead of being heir to a dynasty, she's a nobody, just like the Force-sensitive stablehand on Canto Bight in the epilogue. Force-sensitivity goes from being something almost aristocratic, to something very democratic: she's special because of who she is, not because of what she was born to. Instead of elite Jedi cloistered in temples, the new generation of Jedi arise from among the commonfolk.
    She still isn't just a nobody - she was given a unique gift that not everyone gets to have. It doesn't really matter if it'S random (like it basically must have been during the Old Republic, since the Jedi rules suggest that there would normally be any force dynasties usually), it's still not something anyone can have and so it elevates you over others.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Actually... Yoda said that nothing was lost that Rey already posessed. Guess what she had? The books that were in the tree. You can see them when Finn opens a panel for a blanket at the end.

As to her being easy to manipulate... Rey seems to have a strong will, probably based on her history as a salvager in a desert junkyard. And that will is paired with some determination now. If Snoke got to her before her resolve was built up, like say around the time she was captured and taken to Starkiller Base... MAYBE she would have turned. But the Rey that he saw before him was a lot more defiant and idealistic from not only her time with the Resistance, but speaking with Luke.

Rey is far from ready to confront a real problem dark side user who uses manipulation like an additional weapon to the lightsaber and force powers, i mean Luke was taught to build up his ability to resist the dark side and if Vader hadn't stepped in he would of broken since he was desperately calling to his father to help which was clearly his last card to play during the torture. whatever else Luke was taught, how to resist and how to act properly but Rey was never taught this, she had to build up her own strength. Ray would have no way of knowing if it is the type of strength she needs or if its the type of strength that can be used against her and it is a very deceptive thing without guidance, more than what some book provides.

Luckily for Rey, Kylo is unstable so while his powers are growing stronger, so is his ability to self destruct and take so many people with him in a rotten way. Rey doesn't need to be super powerful, just better taught, more disciplined, showing less weaknesses and more steely strength in herself without making it look like arrogance.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I hope she's not. I'm tired of having a dynasty of chosen ones around whom everything revolves. IMO, the best heroes are the ones who aren't chosen by destiny, but rather happen to be in the right place at the right time and have the capacity to stand up and do great things.

And speaking of repeating past mistakes, Rey a Skywalker would be really, really weird given the romantic subtext between her and Ben.
    The Powers That Be have said that the mainline movies center around the Skywalker family.

As for romantic subtext... could say the same about her and Finn (taking into account TFA) or to a lesser extent her and Poe. Even then... anyone forget the kiss Leia gave Luke in Empire Strikes Back?

There's already plenty of focus on the Skywalkers. Setting aside Luke and Leia's roles, our primary antagonist is Ben Skywalker.

But Rey is still not "made a hero". She just has this random force gift, like so many other Jedi before. Maybe her force gift is even more special than that of any other (just like Anakin already had a stronger gift in the force like Jedi before him), but it is still something given her by random chance. It's not that she rises to the occassion due to the challenges she is facing. She was given an exclusive gift. She has a choice on how to use it, or to not use it all, but other people don't have this choice, because they weren't born with this gift.

If anything, they would need to stop with the idea of only particular people being force sensitive - instead show that _everyone_ could master the force, if they just had the dedication and conviction for it.

Also, not to forget: Jedi are seperated from their family in the time o the Old Republic, and are not supposed to have their own families. That means other than the Skywalkers, most Jedi that existed quite possibly were just random nobodies to begin with. Obi Wan, Yoda, they all weren't kids from a powerful Jedi dynasty.
    Part of why I love the idea of her being descended from Palpatine. Granddaughter of the evil emperor, now the hero trying to destroy the remains of his empire...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

Part of why I love the idea of her being descended from Palpatine. Granddaughter of the evil emperor, now the hero trying to destroy the remains of his empire...

That was actually part of my theory going in, that Palpatine would have had a daughter that would have then hooked up with Luke at some point, perhaps even make her the Disney version of Mara Jade. But I also expected Rey to turn dark and Kylo Ren to turn light, which obviously didn't happen ...
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

It brings up the question if the Jedi have any children. Does each of the Jedi die without any children or is there some form of Eugenics going on where genetically compatible Jedi have a child with the child being taken and raised by the Jedi Council. So the Jedi parents have no idea which child is theirs.

It just doesn't make sense to rely on recruitment drives when Jedi offspring are usually Force Sensitive.
  • Options
    starkaos wrote: »

It brings up the question if the Jedi have any children. Does each of the Jedi die without any children or is there some form of Eugenics going on where genetically compatible Jedi have a child with the child being taken and raised by the Jedi Council. So the Jedi parents have no idea which child is theirs.

It just doesn't make sense to rely on recruitment drives when Jedi offspring are usually Force Sensitive.

The Old Jedi Order monitored newborns so that they knew when a Force Sensitive was born, and then they took them away from their family.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    monitor for a good long while, apparently, since they have records of every force-sensitive child in the galaxy - which actually ended up being a plot point in a clone wars mini-arc​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options

That was actually part of my theory going in, that Palpatine would have had a daughter that would have then hooked up with Luke at some point, perhaps even make her the Disney version of Mara Jade. But I also expected Rey to turn dark and Kylo Ren to turn light, which obviously didn't happen ...
    Well, it's more interesting if they don't have everyone being kin to everyone else. Also, Rey being good is more interesting if she's not descended from someone who is good. It's that whole thing about how you make your own destiny.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options

Of course it makes sense - The Jedi probably didn't want the force to be in the hand of a dynasty, since this would lead to an abuse of power by a minority.

It could even be that only Anakin Skywalker's descendants inherit the force talent, since he was created in a special way.
  • Options

Of course it makes sense - The Jedi probably didn't want the force to be in the hand of a dynasty, since this would lead to an abuse of power by a minority.

It could even be that only Anakin Skywalker's descendants inherit the force talent, since he was created in a special way.

Not wanting a dynasty wasn't the reasoning, it was all about the Jedi Order's fear of it's members falling to the dark side. Relationships are messy and involve all kinds of emotions, from happiness to anger to sadness, as does raising children, and those darker emotions have the potential to start a Force user down the path to darkness.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options

How would a dynasty be created if each Jedi offspring is raised by the Jedi Council and don't know who their parents are?
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Also, he didn't object to Holdo's plan. He objected to having no plan at all. Sure, maybe he should have just trusted her, but on what basis would he (or we) do that? If he had known the plan and decided it was ****, then it might work a lot better.
    'On what basis'? The basis that, A, she has an established war record that Dameron himself brought up when she was introduced, and B, that she's a freaking vice admiral and he's a mere captain (because in Star Wars captain is a lower rank than commander, because that apparently made sense to somebody at Lucasfilm). The very nature of a chain of command relies on the lower-rankers having faith that the higher-ups, if present and in contact, either have a plan or are developing one, even if what that plan is has not been explained to them. In fact, operational security often requires that details of the plan not be explained, especially in irregular warfare operations such as those practiced by the Resistance. You don't go off half-cocked and hatch your own plan without checking in with your superior, you fall back on training and discipline. Hell, if he had checked in, he might have been able to relay Rose's intelligence about the First Order's hyperspace tracker, which could have helped Holdo improve her plan.

Holdo's only real failure in the movie was not clapping Dameron in irons when he mouthed off to a superior officer for the second time in twenty minutes (the first time being to Leia).
    Luke's failure however is completely undeserved. We never see how it came to be.
    That's what the EU is for; specifics would just further stretch out an already 2.5-hour-long movie (it's the longest Star Wars film to date). We have enough details to make some decent guesses, and all we really need to know is, Luke went "Oh s**t, my apprentice has been talking to this Sith cultist*. If he goes dark, he could destroy the Republic and everything I fought for." *thinks for a minute* "I could head it off by killing him. Oh f**k no, that would be a terrible thing to do, why the flying f**k was I thinking--OHSHI--"

See again the theme of "heroes are still human": Luke may be a Jedi and have avoided falling to the dark side in the past, but that doesn't make him omniscient or infallible.
    She still isn't just a nobody - she was given a unique gift that not everyone gets to have. It doesn't really matter if it'S random (like it basically must have been during the Old Republic, since the Jedi rules suggest that there would normally be any force dynasties usually), it's still not something anyone can have and so it elevates you over others.
    Not everybody gets to be a naturally talented pilot like Wedge Antilles, Han Solo, or Poe Dameron, either. The point is, she's a hero because of her own abilities and what she does with them, not because of some dynastic destiny that comes with being a Skywalker. The OT is in large part medieval European high fantasy ported to a space opera setting and was an exploration of a cultural monomyth, the hero's journey and the power of a heroic destiny, and the "lost prince" who "reclaims his birthright". Rey has no birthright to reclaim: to continue the medieval European fantasy comparison, she's an ordinary peasant who happens to have a talent setting her apart from her peers.

* Or whatever Snoke was; it's not important. Snoke himself isn't important, he's just a plot device.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    I'm gonna go into some detail about how I would re-write the parts of TLJ that bother me the most.

1) Space would not have gravity. The bombing run would have a much closer resemblance to how the Y-Wings attacked in Rogue One.

2) Rather than stop in deep space to plan, the Resistance would go directly to Crait after escaping the First Order, and there would be no hyperspace tracker.

3) Leia would send Finn, Rose, and Admiral Ackbar to meet with the remnants of the New Republic fleet and talk them into joining forces. During this meeting, Captain Phasma would lead an attack on their location resulting in Ackbar's death.

4) Poe's flyboy attitude would somehow get the attention of a First Order probe droid, and lead them to Crait.

5) The First Order would arrive and surround Crait. Poe would try to put up a fight but would be ordered to land his squadron on the planet instead. Holdo would do her suicide jump in an attempt to slow the First Order down and buy time.

6) When Kylo Ren leads his forces down to the planet, Poe and the other pilots would fly X-Wings in their defense, but would be completely outnumbered by TIEs and, even with the Falcon's help, would eventually have to retreat.

7) The giant cannon thing wouldn't exist, the walkers themselves would destroy the doors once they got in range. Kylo Ren and Luke's saber battle would be more intense, and Luke would use his green lightsaber, not his father's now destroyed blue one. Just as the force projection is revealed, Finn and Rose would show up with a small New Republic force, not enough to defeat the First Order fleet but enough to rescue the survivors (who, in my version, would not all fit on the Falcon), and get out.

8) Throughout the movie, the slap-stick three stooges style comedy elements between Hux and his force wielding superiors would be removed. Instead, we would have scenes closer to how Vader reacted to failure in Empire Strikes Back. Snoke and Kylo Ren should be feared.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Space in SW has always had gravity intermittently and besides the bombs were obiously either magnetic or simply falling for the heaviest object around.
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    Personally I think Holdo would have worked better if she had been in command of the remnants of the New Republic navy. Everything about her seemed geared towards creating the persona of being ill suited to the situation, more politician than soldier.
    How would a dynasty be created if each Jedi offspring is raised by the Jedi Council and don't know who their parents are?

That anonymity only worked for the Jedi because they could separate the force sensitives from all their other relatives. It is a totally different scenario when the parents are also Jedi and are going to be in close proximity most of the time. They couldn't just rely on Jedi mind control to make them cooperative like they could with the muggles. It also leaves them vulnerable to familial attachments which the Jedi abhor, once you are a Jedi your life belongs to the Order itself.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    > @artan42 said:
    > Space in SW has always had gravity intermittently and besides the bombs were obiously either magnetic or simply falling for the heaviest object around.

I assumed they dropped using the ship's artificial gravity, myself: inertia would keep them moving once they exited the field. But I agree with evilmark44, that was definitely one of the weaker scenes. I mean, I see what they were going for—as I said, George Lucas loves old war movies, and even helmed one about the Tuskegee Airmen—but seriously, using grav-fall bombs against a spaceship and flying directly above the dorsal surface before dropping? They could've easily just pitched their ships straight "up" and dropped them along the dreadie's axis of travel.

(On the other hand, at least this time the Empire isn't the ONLY side with completely idiotic weapons...)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    'On what basis'? The basis that, A, she has an established war record that Dameron himself brought up when she was introduced, and B, that she's a freaking vice admiral and he's a mere captain (because in Star Wars captain is a lower rank than commander, because that apparently made sense to somebody at Lucasfilm). The very nature of a chain of command relies on the lower-rankers having faith that the higher-ups, if present and in contact, either have a plan or are developing one, even if what that plan is has not been explained to them. In fact, operational security often requires that details of the plan not be explained, especially in irregular warfare operations such as those practiced by the Resistance. You don't go off half-cocked and hatch your own plan without checking in with your superior, you fall back on training and discipline. Hell, if he had checked in, he might have been able to relay Rose's intelligence about the First Order's hyperspace tracker, which could have helped Holdo improve her plan.

Holdo's only real failure in the movie was not clapping Dameron in irons when he mouthed off to a superior officer for the second time in twenty minutes (the first time being to Leia).
    I think Holdo definitely needed to take steps to keep Poe in check. For example, as simply as involving him in the plan. After all, he's a pilot, he could have been one of the shuttle pilots that were preparing the ships. Or simply put him in the brig for his insubordination. *something*

Now, maybe that is just what the movie is about -failure all around. Unfortunately, failure without being able to take lessons from it are.. not very useful. Holdo won't learn her lesson, she's dead. WHat can Poe actually learn? That he should trust his superiors? What superior is left after this movie?
    That not every crazy plan succeeds? True, but.. So don't do the non-crazy plans. (If we even can Holdo respectively Leia's plans non-crazy. They are based on the assumption that the fleeing ships remain unnoticed because no one on the First Order considers scanning for cloaked shis. They are based on the assumption that the FIrst Order won't simply call for reeinforcements to intercept them, or reshuffle their troops.

Heck, even the idea that the First Order doesn't use its fighters to pursue and bombard the ships is pretty inconsistent in the movie itself, considering that a few minutes earlier we have seen a single fighter being able to disarm a Dreadnoughts entire point defense weaponry because there was no fighter screen - exactly the situation the Rebel fleet ends up in.

A problem of the movie is certainly that it doesn't seem to agree to its own lessons. Suicide attacks are bad if you're Finn, they are okay if you're Holdo.

That's what the EU is for; specifics would just further stretch out an already 2.5-hour-long movie (it's the longest Star Wars film to date).
    I think that if you want to make a significant character-changing development happen for a major protagonist in your movie franchise, you'll have to do it on screen, or simply not have that character development at all.

It would have been no different than having Luke fall for the Dark Side without showing us how that happened.

Random New Theory: Snoke was just a manifestation of Luke's Dark Side. He hasn't cut himself off the force, his Dark Side was taking all his force bandwith on the other side of the galaxy.

EDIT: I forgot to make sacrifices to the Edit Monster and nearly lost the post completely.
    ANOTHER SACRIFICE FOR THE EDIT MONSTER
    AND ANOTHER ONE
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    Space in SW has always had gravity intermittently and besides the bombs were obiously either magnetic or simply falling for the heaviest object around.
    Or there was a mechanism ejecting them from the bomb bays. SW has tractor beams that can move things around. Heck it'd even make sense if they use those to help load the bombs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    artan42 wrote: »
    Or there was a mechanism ejecting them from the bomb bays. SW has tractor beams that can move things around. Heck it'd even make sense if they use those to help load the bombs.

Microthrusters could accomplish the same thing without significant risk. The fact that they used an old fashioned bombing run is just idiotic. It was pure luck that it was successful since most of the bombers were destroyed by pure idiocy.
  • Options
    lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    I personally don't have a problem with how the bombers worked. Artificial gravity and inertia is all it would take to lob the bombs at the target. The problem I do have is how slow they are, the tight formation they flew, and that their entire run was within the blast radius of their own bombs. No matter how you cut it, those things were flying coffins against space targets.

Which loops back around to Poe's decision to make the bombing run... and his subsequent demotion.

Leia's decision to demote him was defying her order to retreat after his guns jammed and then the subsequent deaths of the bomber crews. The problem with this is that within minutes of the demotion Poe's decision was validated when it was revealed they were being pursued through hyperspace.

If he hadn't done it the Resistance fleet would have had that the Dreadnought pounding them from long range and they never would have had the chance to get to Crait. By that point Kylo had destroyed their fighters while they were in the hanger, and the sluggish bombers would have never been able to keep pace with the rest of the fleet and would have been lost anyway.

Poe's efforts in that opening battle were what ultimately saved the Resistance, not the other way around.

The mixed messaging of the movie also doesn't help... The movie repeatedly condemning sacrificial heroics ending with Rose sacrificing most of the Resistance's survivors just to save Finn doesn't sit well with me. It almost seems like the Rose subplot was lifted from an entirely different draft of the script and doesn't gel with the main plot.
  • Options
    Well... yeah. I think what they were trying to convey is that you don't want to sacrifice people to get the job done. Sometimes you HAVE to, but you never WANT to.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    Poe's efforts in that opening battle were what ultimately saved the Resistance, not the other way around.

And it was his efforts after that which doomed half the fleet by bringing that traitor with them. Of course, without that we wouldn't have that ground battle scene.