Fox Already Ruining Orville

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @valoreah said:
    > rattler2 wrote: »
    >
    > ... Firefly got canned, and look what happened. Got a big blockbuster movie to tie up loose ends and give the fans what they wanted.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Not sure I would categorize Serenity a "blockbuster". The film was lucky to have broken even, if it didn't lose money.

Yes, unfortunately Serenity only made a little more than its budget. Good critical response, though.

I personally didn't know Firefly existed until after I saw Serenity, I'd imagine many others didn't know what it was either and didn't give Serenity a chance. I put the blame for the movie's failure on Fox as well.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    NASCAR was always an addictive sport like Indycar to American tv screens, but in the 70-80's when it was all so new it was just as exciting as it is today and yet today the cost of these sports goes into the billions, rather large waste for something that doesn't require such huge amounts of money thrown at it to make good watching.
    NASCAR has become stale and boring. Rally racing is a lot more exciting. :) Especially since rallies use real cars and not hollow shells that can't be driven on the street.
    Going off topic a bit (sorry about that):

Guess it depends on the sport really, Formula 1 is stale to me seeing Vettel of Hamilton always winning like Schumacher used to do in that Ferrari years ago, but i watch BTCC which is basically a different sized shells around a spec series of car component, it always produces close racing, tough contacts between cars and it's never lacking in excitement my two favored drivers are leading the championship into the final rweekened. I watch Indycar through youtube as an alternative for the often stale Formula 1 and good to see Newgarden take the title, he always had it in him.

Speaking of rally racing: GRC is starting to go stale, the VW drivers are always out in front with Foust and Speed, the Subaru's are coming of Atkinson and Sandell but the Andretti cars are almost always in front the past few seasons.
    Have you tried watching Motocross? Yes they do cars too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    NASCAR is also a fan supported waste.

I often am criticized for driving a 4x4 truck, yet 1 NASCAR race wastes more fuel and resources than I use in a year going around in circles with drivers that are worshipped for their skills, yet complain the entire race for adjustments to their cars so the cars pretty much drive themselves by the halfway mark.

Don't even get me started on the hypocracy of all cars must be identical, yet only a dozen racers always win. When I asked a fan they explained it's because they have better sponsors so better equipment. I was like, but.......

I had forgotten about the other Sci-fi casualties of Fox, why do they bother offering them to that network?
    Post edited by thlaylierah on
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    NASCAR was always an addictive sport like Indycar to American tv screens, but in the 70-80's when it was all so new it was just as exciting as it is today and yet today the cost of these sports goes into the billions, rather large waste for something that doesn't require such huge amounts of money thrown at it to make good watching.
    NASCAR has become stale and boring. Rally racing is a lot more exciting. :) Especially since rallies use real cars and not hollow shells that can't be driven on the street.

NASCAR can be best summed up by the following:
    Sweet Daddy: I know that, I just don't get it. A bunch of grown white men, goin' 500 miles in a circle! What the hell!? What kinda three and a half hours is this? [imitating viewers] "Look, they're making a left turn! Oh they're makin' another left turn! Oh they're makin' another left turn! I wonder what's gonna happen next!" [imitating commentators] "Let's go to commercials. Come back in 10 minutes - you ain't gonna miss a TRIBBLE' thing!"
    ​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    ROFLMAO good one Shadow!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Yes, unfortunately Serenity only made a little more than its budget. Good critical response, though.

I personally didn't know Firefly existed until after I saw Serenity, I'd imagine many others didn't know what it was either and didn't give Serenity a chance. I put the blame for the movie's failure on Fox as well.

Fox wasn't involved in Serenity: Mutant Enemy (Joss Whedon and Tim Minear's studio) jumped ship to Universal. I have heard poor marketing as a factor for the movie's box office failure, though.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options

Fox wasn't involved in Serenity: Mutant Enemy (Joss Whedon and Tim Minear's studio) jumped ship to Universal. I have heard poor marketing as a factor for the movie's box office failure, though.

I meant that I put the blame on them because the way they handled Firefly meant that not many people knew what Serenity was all about, and so didn't get excited for it. This would go hand in hand with your mention of poor marketing though.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User

Guess it depends on the sport really, Formula 1 is stale to me seeing Vettel of Hamilton always winning like Schumacher used to do in that Ferrari years ago, but i watch BTCC which is basically a different sized shells around a spec series of car component, it always produces close racing, tough contacts between cars and it's never lacking in excitement my two favored drivers are leading the championship into the final rweekened. I watch Indycar through youtube as an alternative for the often stale Formula 1 and good to see Newgarden take the title, he always had it in him.

Speaking of rally racing: GRC is starting to go stale, the VW drivers are always out in front with Foust and Speed, the Subaru's are coming of Atkinson and Sandell but the Andretti cars are almost always in front the past few seasons.

James "Bubba" Stewart used to be a thing coming up and i remember him well as it was during the era of Ricky Carmichael, more recently it falls to others like Ken Roczen and Eli Tomac. I admit i don't watch much AMA motorcross these days like i used to, youtube has videos of recent adventures but it it's not something that holds my interest like it used to.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,664 Arc User

NASCAR can be best summed up by the following:
    Sweet Daddy: I know that, I just don't get it. A bunch of grown white men, goin' 500 miles in a circle! What the hell!? What kinda three and a half hours is this? [imitating viewers] "Look, they're making a left turn! Oh they're makin' another left turn! Oh they're makin' another left turn! I wonder what's gonna happen next!" [imitating commentators] "Let's go to commercials. Come back in 10 minutes - you ain't gonna miss a ****' thing!"
    ​​

Yep, ya beat me to the Dunham joke. :) ~crams a cookie in your mouth~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options

James "Bubba" Stewart used to be a thing coming up and i remember him well as it was during the era of Ricky Carmichael, more recently it falls to others like Ken Roczen and Eli Tomac. I admit i don't watch much AMA motorcross these days like i used to, youtube has videos of recent adventures but it it's not something that holds my interest like it used to.
    I've not watched it much myself, one of my buddies once talked me into seeing it live. That was cool! It was a dirt track that squiggled a lot and had hay bales set out for obstacles and walls. The coolest part was the ramps. There was a fork in the track one part of which lead to a ramp, and then the two paths merged where the track went under the jump :D It was neat seeing people drive around it. Especially one part where two people decided to go through the gap at the same time and actually succeeded.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    My GF yelled at me for changing the channel on a NASCAR race.

Without her knowing I hit record on the box.

The next weekend I switched from live to the recorded show when she got up for something.

She watched the entire recorded race without realizing it and got up to make dinner after.

Orville is different in that I would notice if I was watching a repeat episode, Nascar not so much.
    Post edited by thlaylierah on
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I just want to apologize to America for the Fox Network and Rupert Murdock and hope both keep Orville running.

But you did send over to Australia Don Lane. Even when we begged you not too. So we parachuted in Rupert. Drunk as a Wombat in a empty beer vat. When you wasn't looking. Wa. Ha. Ha.

We have a saying here " Beware of smiling Americans bearing large crates smuggled through customs that try to interview you. "

We told you we'd get you back. Took awhile. But we did.

>=3

You realise he's buggering us as well. What did we ever send to Australia to ever deserve them?
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    artan42 wrote: »
    I just want to apologize to America for the Fox Network and Rupert Murdock and hope both keep Orville running.

But you did send over to Australia Don Lane. Even when we begged you not too. So we parachuted in Rupert. Drunk as a Wombat in a empty beer vat. When you wasn't looking. Wa. Ha. Ha.

We have a saying here " Beware of smiling Americans bearing large crates smuggled through customs that try to interview you. "

We told you we'd get you back. Took awhile. But we did.

>=3

You realise he's buggering us as well. What did we ever send to Australia to ever deserve them?

besides the original population of INMATES?​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator

Pretty sure that was England. Not the US.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    besides the original population of INMATES?

where do you think he's from?​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

Pretty sure I'm English :D.

But unless Crash is Aboriginal then he shouldn't be overly concerned with our little tidy up. They were mainly bread stealers and the Irish. Not really worth one of the Murdoch's never mind the lot of 'em.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• Options
    Atomic Weapons for testing.

Americans.
    Your unwanted elderly family members. ( I'd include my parents, only my mother seems to always know when I'm being a smart mouth towards her, 89 years old, and hits you like a runaway bulldozer. )

Okay, I'll apologise for that one.
    Marmite. ( you relabeled our Vegemite, admit it )

@thay8472 Did we?
    Pictures of your Queen to use on our money.

Please keep her, or give her to Canada to keep, either one.
    That god awful unfunny Hyperdrive sitcom.

Payback for Neighbours.
    Importing our Wombats and renaming them as Wombles.

I will never apologise for that.
    Your English accent mixing with my Australian one, and being asked how did I get such a strange accent or being asked " What country did you come from, certainly not from Australia, due to your accent. "

You wanna talk about mixed accents? Americans. They control all media (except Game of Thrones), we'll all be talking like Ranger Rick in a decade.
    You make a new Red Dwarf season, and I'll never mention the above again.

Stay tuned for this October then. And it's series, not season... American.
    Besides, we let you shove your dinky flag up in the tiny corner of our mighty big flag, cause we had to cover up something that our first Prime Minister did while running amuck after parliament passed the Happy Hour Bill. He climbed our first flag pole after 30 glasses of beer and wrote something about England there, fell off, said something that no one understood and passed out.
    They never did find out where the Kangaroos carried him off too.

I don't understand any of that, but if you want the flag you can keep it. The only flag I'd fly is green white and orange and it's not India.​​

#TASforSTO

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Uhhh ... maybe?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Fox have a terrible record, I've still not forgiven them for cancelling The Sarah Connor Chronicles when it was getting interesting
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User

Americans.
      Your unwanted elderly family members. ( I'd include my parents, only my mother seems to always know when I'm being a smart mouth towards her, 89 years old, and hits you like a runaway bulldozer. )

@thay8472 Did we?

Payback for Neighbours.

Your English accent mixing with my Australian one, and being asked how did I get such a strange accent or being asked " What country did you come from, certainly not from Australia, due to your accent. "

You wanna talk about mixed accents? Americans. They control all media (except Game of Thrones), we'll all be talking like Ranger Rick in a decade.

Besides, we let you shove your dinky flag up in the tiny corner of our mighty big flag, cause we had to cover up something that our first Prime Minister did while running amuck after parliament passed the Happy Hour Bill. He climbed our first flag pole after 30 glasses of beer and wrote something about England there, fell off, said something that no one understood and passed out.

I don't understand any of that, but if you want the flag you can keep it. The only flag I'd fly is green white and orange and it's not India.​​

We control Game of Thrones too......we just let you think it's yours.
      i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
      original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
    • Options
      What a surprise, just realized another SciFi show I really liked but was cancelled was also on Fox, Terra Nova.
      eaY7Xxu.png
    • Options

Americans.

@thay8472 Did we?

Payback for Neighbours.

Why you British folks even continue to put up with Queen Rat-Bag, and her can of elite, inbred mutants is beyond me.
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User

Americans.

@thay8472 Did we?

Payback for Neighbours.

Why you British folks even continue to put up with Queen Rat-Bag, and her can of elite, inbred mutants is beyond me.

Because she has no real power, is no real threat to democracy, and thus there's no real reason to get rid of her. In fact, that can of 'elite, inbred mutants' are some of the biggest charity workers in this country. Prince Harry has largely taken over from the late Diana Spencer's work promoting charities like Save the Children; Prince Charles is a big and prominent promoter of human rights and WWF (as is Prince William) and Prince William is literally a pilot for the East of England Air Ambulance Service (and a former RAF Coast Guard pilot). On top of that, Harry almost single-handedly promoted the Invictus Games a few years ago (a paralympics-style event for maimed war veterans). The Royal Family does some good work.
    • Options
      ryan218 wrote: »

Americans.

@thay8472 Did we?

Payback for Neighbours.

Because she has no real power, is no real threat to democracy, and thus there's no real reason to get rid of her. In fact, that can of 'elite, inbred mutants' are some of the biggest charity workers in this country. Prince Harry has largely taken over from the late Diana Spencer's work promoting charities like Save the Children; Prince Charles is a big and prominent promoter of human rights and WWF (as is Prince William) and Prince William is literally a pilot for the East of England Air Ambulance Service (and a former RAF Coast Guard pilot). On top of that, Harry almost single-handedly promoted the Invictus Games a few years ago (a paralympics-style event for maimed war veterans). The Royal Family does some good work.

And having so much land and do nothing with it.

Personally, some of the so-called philanthropists are the biggest criminals behind closed doors.
      dvZq2Aj.jpg
    • Options
      ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
      ryan218 wrote: »

Americans.

@thay8472 Did we?

Payback for Neighbours.

And having so much land and do nothing with it.

Personally, some of the so-called philanthropists are the biggest criminals behind closed doors.

Personally, I'd rather the Royals keep places like Sandringham House than priceless pieces of my national heritage being bulldozed to build a retail park.

On that second point, I'll agree; but many (if not most) are genuinely saints.

Something I forgot to mention: in Britain, political reform typically needs a practical reason. The only real practical reasons for the abolition of monarchies tend to relate to monarchic powers to attack democracy - the British Monarchy was stripped of those powers in the 17/1800s. Sentiment doesn't count for much over here: we're a nation of pragmatists and cynics.

Now as far as Mr Murdoch goes...let's just say there's a reason I don't read the tabloids.
    • Options
      ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
      Anytime I set a show to record on a Sunday, I add 1.5 to 2 hours because Football can't live within its means.

The Orville has now moved to its normal night Thursday, tonight.
      'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
      Judge Dan Haywood
      'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
      l don't know.
      l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
      That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
      Lt. Philip J. Minns
    • Options
      Heh, the whole point of the Revolutionary war was because the British Monarchy was being tyrants. :p too bad they didn't fix that problem before the war.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
    • Options
      mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
      Heh, the whole point of the Revolutionary war was because the British Monarchy was being tyrants. :p too bad they didn't fix that problem before the war.

I thought it started with a Tea tax? Up to that point there were British, French, Spanish, Dutch and some German settlers who just started settling that area. Those colonists rebelled against their leaders in the British sector and created a whole new problem leading to a war of indepenence backed by the French.

You're all as much our long lost brothers and sisters as your history books try to make us out to be foreigners. :smiley:
      T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
      Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.