What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Delta Recruitment

Comments

• Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If there is a 2.5 times XP event i assume most ppl prefer to lvl their current main chars spec points.

And i dont think cryptic will give us anything less than the max bonus no matter how many ppl actually play the event because everything else would be a tell that only a few bored crazies are playing the event.
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Damn.

I should have waited to roll my Talaxian. Now all those good BOffs I used on her are wasted, not to mention than dil I sunk into my fleet just to try to get her the Odyssey uniforms.

Nobody's fault, obviously, but irritating nonetheless.

Ah well. I may take this opportunity to finally roll and play a Reman...
  • Options
    starblade7starblade7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If new characters are going to be Delta Recruits, shouldn't that make all of the existing characters who've reached level 60 and completed all of the existing story missions Delta Veterans? Hmm?

I have 6 characters - my main, and 5 alts that have been neglected since the release of Delta Rising. I am currently only playing very casually, as I have been for a long time now, and I have no desire to throw my precious free time away grinding with them since it's already a tedious task just on one character. Depending on the benefits of this event - which have yet to be fully explained - I might roll up an alt with the free slot just for the rewards, and then not bother with it after that.

Quite frankly, though, it can be read like a slap in the face to long-time players, so the developers and publishers ought to tread very carefully here or risk driving off a significant portion of the player base for good.
    Forget the possibility of PvP, for so much has become pay-to-win, never to be balanced. Forget the promise of exploration and research, for in the grim dark future of Star Trek Online there is only war. There is no peace amongst the stars, only an eternity of carnage and slaughter, and the laughter of thirsting publishers.
  • Options
    joel1974joel1974 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I need to have more information on this before do anything with it. My main and my main alt are the characters I do most stuff with. Others are for grinding for dil.
  • Options
    sillybootssillyboots Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    How about that... another big Eff U to the players who have kept the game alive for this long. Great idea!
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why does Starfleet use 1940's propaganda? I know this is just a marketing gag for the game, but your in-game fluff makes no sense. But it never has. All this "WAR IS COMING; ITS WUUUUUAR, FIGHT FIGHT AND KILL!" nonsense that you get slapped in the face even during the tutorial (everything the Starfleet recruits blabber on about is to fight for king and country) really doesn't make me want to start a new character ever. I am glad that my veterans never had do play those awful tutorials :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    nagilum88nagilum88 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    more grinding yay
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    War is coming, and recruits are needed for the fight! It's time to sign up to protect the galaxy from the Iconians. If the badge fits, wear it!

Report in for more information!

~LaughingTrendy

Wow Trendy,

what a cool Dev blog. It’s very well written for a change and one gets the impression that the fate of the whole galaxy is at stake. Actually more than that. One even gets the feeling the whole game is at stake.

I have been around for 3 years and made 8 chars I love and I invested a lot in. I don’t know if I can get myself to make another alt to fill your upcoming summer gap. If the last event participations of CC and Mirror are any indication this summer is going to be a dry dry desert unlike anything seen before in Star Trek Online.

I am a team player not a repetitive solo grinder. I really hope you do something about that because I could imagine others play mmopgs because of the same reason I do.

Keep up the laughing!
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    piotrtiberiuspiotrtiberius Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hm, well this might be worth a shot.

I'm curious about what the plot changes they've come up with are. Grinding aside, Cryptic has really improved the writing quality of this game since I first signed up - Even the Delta quadrant arc was alright when the plot was present. It'll probably be worth making a new character just for that. After all, the Ensign-Rear Admiral mission chain is the easy part.

I'm getting tired of the doomsayers, though. The game has problems, but it's held up so far.
  • Options
    drowrulesupremedrowrulesupreme Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hmmm...

I've got spare slots already, and just rolled 2 new toons in the last month to enjoy the revamped content and I've got to say, just using DOFFing and the missions they level pretty quickly. My new Liberated Klingon is lvl 51 and has just reached the Romulan mission Frozen. I've only repeated Alpha (once to save the Romulan and crack the code myself, once to beat the Romulan for the code and then hamstring him :D) and Mine Enemy (for the Horta). I've a feeling he'll hit 60 long before he reached the Delta Quadrant so that's good.

I wanted to roll a couple more toons to take advantage of ships I've got in storage and one of them is a Temporal themed Klingon so this will work out nicely for me.

As it stands, I like this idea. I get to roll the new toon AND get some new content (what that is remains to be seen). I even get to earn an exclusive starship trait for all my toons by doing it.

I get that people are invested in the toons they have had since day one, and I have that too. I just enjoy playing something different every once in a while and alts are a way to do that without playing a different game entirely.

People could look at it this way, it's just another event to earn a reward by grinding. The only difference is it has to be a new alt doing it and the reward is a starship trait for every alt on that account. Since KDF and RR get fewer starship traits already (thanks to fewer T6 ships) it really should be something those players do if only to get another trait to play with.

I'll wait for more info before getting too excited (or angry) but I'm okay with this so far.
    "...we are far more united and have far more in common with each other than the things that divide us.”
    Jo Cox 22.6.1974 - 16.6.2016

• Options
    johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    while i think this whole event is the dumbest and lamest idea ever. maybe i will make the joined trill i have thought about, especially with the free slot. well i suppose i ahve a month to think up a new name for my character

otherwise meh, what a dumb event. so pointless and lame. what will happen now, people won't bother making new chars until antoher of these comes along

also bonus dil for kills. lol.
  • Options
    eurialoeurialo Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have 4 fed toons and 2 kdf and one romulan kdf aligned... before DR I used all of them, after I was able to level only 2 of them and still I have not finished because of the huge amount of exp and resources to complete specializations and upgrade items. Yes, we have had the anniversary event... but I want to play real content not log in for grinding because I need grinding to level my toons.
    Now you are asking me to create a new toon to play new content... do you really think I enjoy grinding? Do you think I have enough free time to grind all of the resources and exp I need for specializations, reputations, acquiring fleet mark to buy fleet items, biying again the traits and items I have in others toons, upgrading consoles and weapons... for what? Playing the same way I do using some other toon of mine?

And my old toons? What about my klingon ones? I used huge amount to develop them and devolope a starbase and its holdings... at least 30-40 millions of fleet credits in 2 toons.

No thanks... I spent 3 years to develop my toons, I do not want start developing a new one and if I should do that to acquire mew traits, items and whatever for my old toons... I quit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Playing STO spamming FAW is like playing chess using always the computer's suggested moves
  • Options
    spacedreamer78spacedreamer78 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We spent years investing in the characters we now have. The first thing most of us in our fleet read is: "Great, my current toons just went obsolete because they are missing certain characteristics" or "They will always be inferior to the delta toons". Also, those toons might have one-off gear, ships, accolades people tried so hard to get. Does this now go with the trash compared to the new delta recruits?

Wat would be OK, if you had the option to transfer your current toon to delta recruit in some way. This is what comes to mind first.

Maybe things aren't that bad when it gets implemented (I'm betting on a nerf or two along the way). Nothing much we really can do at this point.

The nice sausage they hold is shiny new ships, account abilities etc. But did you notice you will need to create 3 new additional toons just to get all 3 new ships and possible specific gear? I already have a FED, KDF and Romulan/Reman toon, thank you very much!

The biggest problem with this game is that it's grinding only. What I would love to see is more engaging gameplay. I'm thinking in lines of 20-40 man fleet exercises (Group PvP), maybe with 2 stages; space & ground. Basically, a similar setting/system like Warthunder. And it fits in perfectly with the direction this game is going (story wise).

When DR came out, we loved the challenge, we loved not being able to not complete the STF's. We had to rethink, we had to find new ways of working together and we had to really be thinking about the abilities/tactics we took with us and when to use them. It was fun and engaging. Then they nerfed it.

The mistake PWE is making is they react to the whiners too much ("its too hard", "I can't complete the mission", etc., etc.), which results in the people at the end-game stage left out in the cold. People want a challenge, they want to be engaged. And our "friends" of PWE are going the opposite direction. Which doesn't bode well... Neither do the new delta recruit characters...

*Throws 2 cents into the pool*
  • Options
    krowsyskrowsys Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Awesome, Even though I have 19 characters already, I also have 9 unused character slots I was looking foward to using. I'm concidering the Max of 3 careers per Faction = 9 Captains if the rewards are good enough, otherwise 1 per faction will suffice. You choose your level of participation.

We don't have to do the event, it is our choice and I also hope this will not render my current characters obsolete but I welcome the event and any other events the Dev's give us and have given us in the past. It keeps things new & interesting after years of playing.

Thank you and keep up the great work.

Admiral Krow
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    I think the info posted is to summary for me to get to a conclusion.

I understood that we get a free slot and we can make a new char.
    But from here what happens exactly ?
    I read the blog but there are no exact figures

I would like to know more before deciding what will I do.

PS:2.5 XP points is what we had before DR so it is not a big improvement i guess.Why it isn't something like 4 XP ?
    That would be double as before DR probably close to mirror invasion XP bonus before DR
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like the event as its constructed.

If it turns out to be fun awesome, if its not i sure aint gonna post a novel about how sto is dying and everything as we know it will be fuuukct lol
  • Options
    revan232revan232 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    szim wrote: »
    Don't you mean: Winter is coming? ;)
    I am partial to Magic is Coming (Once Upon a Time)
    I am a fan of this however and cant wait to see what they have to offer.
    I do like this game and you do not have to play it if you do not.
    ============END COMMUNICATION=============
  • Options
    davinalove#9367 davinalove Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Really Cryptic???

First lemme explain that I was one of the players that left the game IE: having the alternate account deleted. The account I am posting with was from a previous PWE title that no longer exists after a failure of level 60 Game play, Armor Updates, etc, I don't need to go into details about that game, but only to say that I have seen similarities of practice on the part of Cryptic to that Beta Test game I played some years ago.

4+ years of playing STO and putting up with BS nerfs, and updates of satisfying hard core gamers whining on how the game should be. Here I am not going to bore people with the Hundreds of problems I found with the game that don't get addressed or properly addressed. But i will say that the final draw for me was the "Tachyon Beam' enhancement.

Fact of the matter is the game is NOT fun any more, used to be, but unfortuately here lately Cryptic has done nothing but fail with their idea's; and a good example would be "Make Optionals or else you get kicked out":rolleyes::rolleyes: Really?? How this working out for anyone else out here who has to play PUG STF's? Cause I was getting sick and tired of failing at every turn, I would much have rather put up with not making optional and finishing the event than just getting kicked off because one or more players screwed it up.

Now that I know that I am not the only one that got fed up with Cryptic's TRIBBLE and left, I feel alittle better. But as many have observed, the players have been dropping off, which I noticed too. I sure would have at least liked to play the Mine Trap one last time. . But there is no real generated interest in it.

Okay so I get the notion to come on and view the news of the Memorial and whatever else is going on. . Then I find this...

Well now that players are dropping out the game and the BS, they come out with more BS to bring players back. . . Interesting, but not enough to bring me and many others back to Cryptic/PWE's titles.

So i''ll be brief, You wanna bring me and my money back to the game?, after I have gotten rid of an account that I spend 1000's of hours grinding and spent a $1000 or more on stuff on?

Here's just a small list which can also be up for speculation on the part of the existing community.

- Instead making new content (Or at least hold it off for a time.) Fix in game bugs that have been plaguing the game since it's inception.

- Myself and many other players have built characters around favorite Race/Ships which are now mostly considered obsolete in the grand scheme of Season 9 DR. Instead of a T5-U Fleet, C-store, Lock box or Lobi Store Ship/s, Revamp them to T6 with Intel, Command or Intel/Command depending on the ship type and how new the ship is. Otherwise I am not seeing any real Diversity starship wise, having only a T6 Jem'hadar Attack ship is disgustingly unfair.

- People on the this forum past an present have constantly expressed their opinion on the issues of "Grinding" to the point of exhaustion or frustration, and "Balanced Game Play". These are issues that seriously need addressing. One of my main issues is with new players.characters getting Neural Processors etc, on Normal STF's to build up to/gear up to going into Advanced, Elite STF's. During season 5 we at least got a random chance to receive one of these Rep items to work towards getting a gear. Also the fact that game play of a Normal vs Advance springs allot of confusion as many expect that having played certain way on Normal transfers similarly over to an Advanced or Elite game, this needs addressing.

Now of course and once again we don't have all the info, as the company likes to keep you at the edge of your seat with little bits a time, (Some thing which by the way is over done, yawns). So I will be back around April or alitte before to see what transpires. I don't presume to hold my breath long enough in hopes that things will be made right to get me back on the game any time soon.
  • Options
    candeloro1candeloro1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Do you know what I read when I got through this thread...

Whine whine whine. Blah blah blah. I'm so entitled. I poured money into this game.

So what! Most of us have. I bought an LTS as I enjoyed the game and the fact it was star trek. I didn't care if it is a grind or whatever. I just enjoy playing a star trek game! People have asked for new content. And here some comes. Oh wait I forgot people are never satisfied.

I read a lot about people complaining I can't handle my own alts now let alone a new one. But who says you have max out this new one? It's your own personal choice. I've got about 9 alts all at varying levels. Why? Because I enjoy playing the content at my own pace. You don't have to have the maximum of everything all the time. If you did there would never be anything left to achieve.

Everyone take a chill pill and wait for some more info!

Ps I don't think cryptic cares if any of you have left the game or not. With three million players I think they've got plenty more fish in the sea.
  • Options
    ryuuenjinryuuenjin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wow so many negative Nancies and Debbie Downers in this thread. Lets try to look at some "silver linings" to this shall we?

1) To everyone that's whinging about how the event "only looks at new players" or "is desperate for getting more players". This event isn't exactly a full fledged recruitment drive, it's a full fledged "go make a new character" drive.

In a hypothetical scenario, if they get 0 new people to sign up, but every single current player goes and makes a new character for this, the event doesn't magically end up not giving those guys the delta buff. So again, not a whole hearted campaign for fresh players.

2) To everyone that's just drained at the upkeep of their x number of alts, you ever iunno, just think of gaming the system? No one (so far) is holding a gun to your head telling you to keep the delta recruit you made for all eternity. Just keep em and slog until you get all the account wide unlocks, then delete. There, now you never have to worry about maintaining that guy you made for the sole purpose of an event.
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cidstorm wrote: »
    And now our characters themselves fall victim to planned obsolescence.

BINGO !

... seems our lockbox ships were not enough ...
  • Options
    darthpostaldarthpostal Member Posts: 245 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    candeloro1 wrote: »
    Ps I don't think cryptic cares if any of you have left the game or not. With three million players I think they've got plenty more fish in the sea.

It seems to me that the very nature of this event shows that fish got endangered.
  • Options
    iggygreeniggygreen Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    April 2nd to May 21st
    So on April First the day before its due to "start" they will go :D:P APRIL FOOLS We Got YA:D

Seems Obvious Prank to me
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nah......

Contrary to what you may believe. leveling up a new is not fun anymore. You have thoroughly killed that joy with the rep system (not account wide...) and the massive xp grind after 50....
  • Options
    khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    All hands, bend over and brace for 'Season 10: The Final Shaft to Veterans with Alts'.

reynoldsxd wrote: »
    Nah......

Contrary to what you may believe. leveling up a new is not fun anymore. You have thoroughly killed that joy with the rep system (not account wide...) and the massive xp grind after 50....

The Rep system doesn't bother me on alts nearly as much since they added the sponsorship tokens. It only takes 20 days to gain all reps now on alts which is not that bad. The R+D system and the new Spec Trees on the other hand, those are the new alt killers. Hell, the rate of gain on the Spec Trees alone has pretty much killed my interest in playing.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • Options
    iggygreeniggygreen Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In case you have to eat your post, would you like fires or mashed potato as a side order? :P

I would like fries and a Dip aswell thank you good sir:P
  • Options
    valenn1valenn1 Member Posts: 842 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    Nah......

With the sponsorship tokens the Reputation grind is acceptable. (just 20 days, less if you do the hourly projects too).
    And the progessions "wall" isn't there with a new char, especially with bonus XP, i bought a round of vaadwaur themed equipment for me and a friend and we started a "theme-char" Fighter Pilot during the last Bonus-XP event.
    When the event ended we got the chars to lvl 51 and 53 ... in the middle of the nimbus questline.
    Beta, LTA, CE, Multiple preorder Versions, all Addon Packs except AoY, nearly all KDF/Rom and ~50% of all Fedships, over 25 LockboxShips, Endurer of Atari's "Year of Hell", but...
    unfortunately:

NOT LOYAL ENOUGH!!!
  • Options
    tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cryptic seem to think they are entitled to my money... nobody put a gun to their head and forced them... blah blah blah

my concern isnt about 'the grind'. if it was purely another grind-based event i could easily enough skip it, despite any strong incentivisation or negative consequences for nonparticipation. my fear is seeing the t6 ship mechanics adopted into toon characteristics. i fear what somebody referred to earlier as 'the t6 ubertoon'. the toon that has special mastery traits that allow it to share 'benefits' such as xp with the other toons on the account. in other words, my intended new main. i can easily see this delta recruit thing as a test rollout of such a system; a test of both the tech and the users adaptation. the idea of being 'heavily incentivised' (some would call 'forced') into using a new toon as my main and having it be lauded as an answer to alt fatigue is very unappetising.