What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 5 Dev Blog #41

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    At the rate Cryptic is going, I was kind of afraid I'd wake up this AM, log in, and find all of my DOs in Sickbay because the clone went rogue...

In any event, a free DO is nice, but this whole lock box shell game needs to go...I don't understand how licensing can permit you to not directly sell a ship, but sell you a chance at a ship...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Katic wrote: »
    Dan (you've yet to confirm I may call you Dan), you know I can get.. Er.. Passionate.. So please forgive me if I've come across as disrespectful, but surely you can see how this kind of thing can be frustrating?

There is something important to be noticed here, but it's not the frustration of a particular player.

You can be passionate without being disrespectful. People on this forum seem to have seem to have gotten used to being able to use this term as a crutch, and it needs to stop. Passion is no excuse for bad behavior.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ah so the lock boxes are the reason then the 700 day androids STILL aren't out?

So may things I want to say right now... SO MANY THINGS.

but I won't because it will be futile.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    interesting the STF changes, naturally if there is a bit of map modification it will need 1 or 2 elite runs to get right, otherwise if the team works together on kage, then there wont be much of a problem. brutal DPS will needed as a good defense is a strong offense.

the space missions are already touched on by everyone else, the insta-death torpedo and the slightly overpowered weapons damage.
    dstahl wrote: »
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6

That depends when you can get the dev group to fix these bugs you are overlooked since the game launch, i was wondering how long it took for you to realize these bugs must be fixed. the content or the mission is not the problem, its the problems you get when playing these missions. thats where the TRIBBLE is laid on top of them and it was meant to be a constructive point. step up to the plate or leave it.

Work doesnt stop like time and no way around it in the end. i do hope the PVP does get a real balance out, right now its rediclous and that start of raid type missions are coming? well that will at least keep the former WoW/Rift type players quite for a bit, but then again that only lasts as long as the content keeps coming, again work doesnt stop...

again its contructive comments, just take it onboard and learn from it. if you resolve some of the rough edges with the community, then you may even get a better response from the hardliners like myself.

doesnt matter, its generally accepted as a money grab rather then being respectful of the community. couldnt you of spend those 'resources' on other matters that are more important?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Kyuui wrote: »
    Ah so the lock boxes are the reason then the 700 day androids STILL aren't out?

So may things I want to say right now... SO MANY THINGS.

but I won't because it will be futile.

Um...I got my 700 day android...long time ago...do you not know where you get them from?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Um...I got my 700 day android...long time ago...do you not know where you get them from?

I believe he means the other variations, I think there's supposed to be 12, and only one is available, because they haven't made the costumes yet.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

Hmm...interesting....let's hope these statements don't wind up here, where most of your other "promises" have...
    http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrine_Falcon#The_History_Of_The_Klingon_Empire_With_Cryptic_Studios
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I believe he means the other variations, I think there's supposed to be 12, and only one is available, because they haven't made the costumes yet.

Ah...so they too believed what they were told about them before they were released, only to be disappointed in the actual released product...bummer...
    Sounds like just another day in the Empire to me.
    http://www.stowiki.org/User:Peregrine_Falcon#The_History_Of_The_Klingon_Empire_With_Cryptic_Studios
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    played it...

if this was a foundry mission i would have given it 1 star (ok maybe 2, because it was bugfree, 1 star is really for the *OMG this is so broken, stay away from it*-missions)

- simply put, it's short and a bit boring
    - not scary at all
    - the unique music is the only positive point about it, it gave the mission *some* atmosphere, but the Music didn't feel very Trek, hmm i guess not every little thing has to feel 100% Trek?

- it's an badly lit map (i had to look hard at the mini-map to even find the doors!)

- again, *only 1 additional away team member*... i have to wonder why i keep giving my BOffs good Items if i never get to use those guys?
    (and of course if i only get one, i take the Medic, just in case.)

Of course this is not a foundry map so there is a reward to grab, which on it's own makes it worthwhile.
    A Rare Unique DOff and another Lirpa.
    I guess the DOff was worth spending the 5 Minutes.

But no, this is not the kind of content i am looking for to be "entertained" by this game.
    This is what i call a item grab mission.

Also it should be noted that i did almost miss the mission because there was no in-game notification / advertisement for it (none that i could see anyway).

//edit:

ok after reading a bit and putting this mission into context i can see how this mission is intended as a neat little gimmick instead of a full blown Mission Event.

In that case i apologize for my, maybe too harsh criticism, i thought the whole Cryptic Team was behind this.
    If i really try to look at it from a Foundry Perspective, instead of full blown Cryptic content, then i'd say "it's a nice Hello World mission".
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

Unless you are a casual player who can't reliably get more than 1 or 2 people to do things with, then you aren't going to get the content cause that type of play isn't wanted anymore?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    "Star Trek: Online" is a fantastic game. Since I had enjoyed myself, I ended up playing two full characters and buying tons of c-points.

Here is where it gets sticky... Once you hit the level 50 cap, complete all the episodes, and obtain at least the recruiter MACO and Omega gear, the game gives you no reason to keep on going. Even though the elite level gear looks neat, the process to obtain them is boring. Grinding Borg salvage and dilithium is a nuance experience, which leaves you feeling mentally drained. Ironically, the elite gear is also sooooo rare that its next to impossible to obtain; thus, the rewards for grinding after the level of 50 is ridiculous insufficient

This is what I don't get... If its sooooo important for people to buy the VA ships, why are consumers buying them without any meaningful reason for needing them?

If the new direction of Cryptic/Perfect World is to: release temporary locations, make STFs slower, reduce the reward system, create quick money grab schemes, overcharge on digital items, not expand beyond level fifty, not fleshing out more than one faction, weaken already sold ships to accommodate new ones, and... to release cheesy dialogue and voice acting missions, the end result will be a disastrous end to what started out as an awesome gaming experience.

Approximately three days ago, I ended up buying an Odyssey Science vessel. Outside of grinding out more Borg salvage, what the heck am I suppose to do with a 2,000 C-point ($25 USD) digital ship? Since I have already hit level fifty and completed the missions, what other substantial reasons are there for me to have this new vessel? There are none.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6

Oh stop with your crazy logic. Logic has no place in feedback on a Star Trek game, it seems.

If you eliminated the complaints based on misinformation, the size of these boards would be reduced by 75%.

Keep up the good work, the amount of effort and the speed at which so much of it happens is far and beyond any MMO I've ever played. Those of us that know that generally are having so much fun playing because there is so much to do we don't post as often as we should, to balance out some of the people who only seem to play Forum Trek : The Wrath of the Perpetually Disgruntled MMO Player.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Unless you are a casual player who can't reliably get more than 1 or 2 people to do things with, then you aren't going to get the content cause that type of play isn't wanted anymore?

You serious?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Funny little mission. I have to say I liked it
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Am I the only person who wasn't disappointed?

I went in expecting nothing, came out with nothing, got back to my homework. :p.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm sorry, but that was very disappointing.

It should have been given more development time to do it justice. I can imagine a lot of foundry authors reeling over this one.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh stop with your crazy logic. Logic has no place in feedback on a Star Trek game, it seems.

If you eliminated the complaints based on misinformation, the size of these boards would be reduced by 75%.

Keep up the good work, the amount of effort and the speed at which so much of it happens is far and beyond any MMO I've ever played. Those of us that know that generally are having so much fun playing because there is so much to do we don't post as often as we should, to balance out some of the people who only seem to play Forum Trek : The Wrath of the Perpetually Disgruntled MMO Player.

Yeah, I often wonder why people are so mad on these forums. At the very least, I've played enough MMOs to know how they work. Most MMO's that are F2P, add a major content patch every 5-10 months, this will usually (not always) include a neat system (e.g. doff system) and a new endgame raid accompanied by gear -- perhaps even a level cap increase. They also very rarely add little stuff in between. That is *far* less than Cryptic adds to STO.

It saddens me at how rude some people are to the devs, people need to learn to be civil. I feel kind of bad, for whoever developed this mission. It was completely free, it gave us a cool unique doff, and a melee weapon. It didn't hurt anyone... at all. It didn't cost anyone anything. It was just a nice little thing they thought they'd add.

I'm not saying Cryptic is perfect, but people need to learn to just chill. I for one, would like to say thank you, to whichever employee made that mission. I enjoyed being able to just hop in and play a fun little mission and then get back to life.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Yeah, I often wonder why people are so mad on these forums. At the very least, I've played enough MMOs to know how they work. Most MMO's that are F2P, add a major content patch every 5-10 months, this will usually (not always) include a neat system (e.g. doff system) and a new endgame raid accompanied by gear -- perhaps even a level cap increase. They also very rarely add little stuff in between. That is *far* less than Cryptic adds to STO.

It saddens me at how rude some people are to the devs, people need to learn to be civil. I feel kind of bad, for whoever developed this mission. It was completely free, it gave us a cool unique doff, and a melee weapon. It didn't hurt anyone... at all. It didn't cost anyone anything. It was just a nice little thing they thought they'd add.

I'm not saying Cryptic is perfect, but people need to learn to just chill. I for one, would like to say thank you, to whichever employee made that mission. I enjoyed being able to just hop in and play a fun little mission and then get back to life.

This.

The way so many people freak out over a video game is just sad. If you don't like it, don't pay for it! Simple as that.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This.

The way so many people freak out over a video game is just sad. If you don't like it, don't pay for it! Simple as that.

The irony being they don't even have to pay for this mission in anyway makes the complaining even more silly
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    along with starbase construction missions

i'll believe starbases are coming when I actually see them. we've heard it before. as for the rest of it, you can forget casuals or anyone involved in pugs having any real access to any of what you said there
    and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

so...you don't even know what your own staff is doing then? sure sounds like you don't even have a solid design plan in place if you're making statements like this. to say nothing of the poor quality of this friday the 13th mission. it was utterly pointless.
    "Star Trek: Online" is a fantastic game

no it isn't. if you actually believe that you need to try other games

did you actually play this mission? I did. i've seen low quality foundry missions that were better and had more purpose than this one did. and by the way, why exactly was it held off till today? its not actually friday the 13th related. I don't see a connection. and the 'kind soul' can defend himself if he wants to. you don't need to speak for others.

and I don't buy the 'this was made some time ago' TRIBBLE either. we heard that same line with the last FE that you yourself claimed to have been playing months before release, despite official statements later that directly contradict it
    Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series

one of the most intense? it was the lowest quality and most quickly rushed and buggy FE yet.
    a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale

a sale is content now?
    a new fully produced KDF episode

yeah. one in nearly two years. you're really burning the midnight oil on them. we've also seen you yourself say the faction is all but abandoned.

uh huh. we've been fed this line for two years straight. just a little longer, right?
    Keep up the good work, the amount of effort and the speed at which so much of it happens is far and beyond any MMO I've ever played.

what good work? and the amount of effort and speed at which it happens is considerably lower than any commercial mmo on the market. and i'm being generous with that statement.
    To the lockbox complainers. They generate revenue for the devs to make content

don't call people 'complainers' when its a legitimate issue. and it doesn't generate squat. that money has gone straight to PWE. what have we gotten out of that? more lock boxes
    most of that content is in the form of Season 6 which is only - like what 2 months away from release?

uh huh. sure buddy. 2 months away. there isn't a chance in hell dstahls claims about all those things being released on time are actually going to happen. they never have in the past (where did we get all that stuff in season 4 that we were suppose to get, hmm?)
    They can't put these ships in the C-store because CBS don't want people flying around in Ferengi and Cardassian ships like it's normal.

I don't believe statements like this because they don't make sense. its not stopping people from doing that. just costing them money to do so. if enough people won them there would be just as many people flying these things around as there would be if they had just sold them
    Lockboxes allow the devs to put out a few of these ships while making some money in the process. It's a win win

the only people winning from these things is PWE they are a scam. they are gambling. they contribute nothing to the game except spam and headaches.
    How on earth did you get that from what Stahl said? He specifically stated that the software and content teams - the people who put missions into the game - are doing nothing but working on Season Six.

The people who make the lockboxes and the people who make new missions are completely different. You're just seeing what you want to see, and the taking it out of proportion.

dstahl has a habit of saying alot of things that are not true. i'm not inclined to believe it. there is no reason to outsource a ship model and a box model and a handful of tiny things such as are in the boxes. its more hassle and money than its worth
    It wasn't very scary... I don't know why people think it should've been.

when someone calls something 'horror themed' the implication is that it is scary. thats why horror movies are called horror movies. the mission was a joke at best.
    Jeez people, it was a free doff and weapon giveaway that just required a little more than walking up to a guy in ESD like you did for the free IDIC tribble last time. Was it ground breaking? No. It was just a little extra thing you had to do for the giveaway this time.

it was advertised as something that it was not even close to being.
    I think Cryptic spent more time writing the Dev Blog about the mission than they did creating the mission

they were more creative in the blog. thats for sure
    What you are getting out on the forums right now, is largely a response to the new lockboxes and continued Master Key sales

no, what he is getting out of the forums right now is a culmination of two years of being bs'd repeatedly by cryptic and their half hearted attempts to do anything
    I don't see why there is so much NERD RAGE about it. Thats all it is, spoilt kiddies throwing dummies out of prams

there is no rage. you are either not paying attention or intentionally trying to provoke people. its pretty telling that they know its low quality when they won't even say who was involved in it
    Do you really need anything more though?

yes we do. TRIBBLE like this only wastes what they already admit to being limited resources. we are paying customers. yet they can put out anything except content it seems. then we get this, its hyped up into being something its not even remotely close to actually being and told to be thankful for it?
    The game is rated T

which allows for quite a bit as far as blood is concerned. read the ratings
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Matri wrote: »
    Well either the crystal drop rate need to be drastically increased, or the crystal shop prices need to be drastically reduced. The only thing that was even worth the time I wasted looking in the store was the bridge officer, and I for one am not going to spend $337.50 - $375 for the crystals necessary to purchase it.

As for the "set" items: Really? You're really asking $675 - $750 for the whole thing?

This. While I'm not a fan of the lockbox mechanism, when I first read about the rewards I decided I was going to open some, especially considering the Lobi crystals.

Then I saw the prices of the items in the store and read about the drop rates (seriously, you can spend 100 CP on a lockbox and get a single crystal?!) and changed my mind.

One poster in another thread mentioned purchasing 111 keys and received 490+ crystals. Compare the prices on the crystal store and what you can buy to the cost of the game and comparable items from the C-Store and does anyone think that $138.75 is even vaguely reasonable?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    You must really be angry after 2 years to be that rude Rhodes
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Starfish1 wrote:
    I'm sorry, but that was very disappointing.

It should have been given more development time to do it justice. I can imagine a lot of foundry authors reeling over this one.

And you missed the part where this was done on a dev's own personal time, right?

That dev didn't have to do it and we were told up front that it was a short mission. Maybe the dev blog was a little overhyped for what it was, but that doesn't excuse some of the vitriol aimed at the author.

The Lobi crystal/store rate is a problem. The Friday the 13th mission isn't.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Lionheart wrote: »
    And you missed the part where this was done on a dev's own personal time, right?

That dev didn't have to do it and we were told up front that it was a short mission. Maybe the dev blog was a little overhyped for what it was, but that doesn't excuse some of the vitriol aimed at the author.

The Lobi crystal/store rate is a problem. The Friday the 13th mission isn't.

The title of this thread is Dev Blog 41, which is about the Friday the 13th episode not the lock boxes.

The fact that it was created in personal time is irrelivant. It was put out as an advertised mission, with a dev blog and a calendar entry, so it should have been to an acceptable standard.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Starfish1 wrote:
    The title of this thread is Dev Blog 41, which is about the Friday the 13th episode not the lock boxes.

The fact that it was created in personal time is irrelivant. It was put out as an advertised mission, with a dev blog and a calendar entry, so it should have been to an acceptable standard.

I fail to see what was 'unacceptable' about it? The length? The plot?

I found the mission abundantly acceptable.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Agreed. Thanks to the dev involved in this mission. It was fun to play :)
    And to DStahl (and the rest of Cryptic's STO devs)... I appologize on behalf of us true Trekkies who believe that the civility, tolerance and kindness shown in the 23rd/24th century should be carried back to the 21st century as well. This negative and rude behavior (although rampant on the forums) does not truly reflect the opinions of your loyal fanbase. Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see what you guys have in store for Season 6.

Sincerely,
    - Andrew (Jakyre)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Thanks Dstahl!
    I agree with you completely some people can be total jerks in the forums, the mission was a fun little way to obtain a cool doff. People complain they want content you give them some and they act entitled and snobby about it.
    Thanks for the content!

To those who make a big deal that the foundry has better missions go play the foundry then.

I for one will enjoy the short fun mission and collect my rewards.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Rhodes85 wrote: »
    no it isn't. if you actually believe that you need to try other games

Rhodes, I don't mean to be rude, and I recognize and respect your opinion. But I personally feel that STO is a very good MMO. I have played *many* MMO's; ask about "LongHaoKan" in 12sky2 (particularly Guan/Fuj main town... if they still exist, it's been a while), I haven't played it in over a year, and I bet people will know who I am (former FL of the Guans). I have been max level in dozens of MMO's (S.U.N, Rappelz, Cabal, SW:TOR, LOA [as close as anyone got, at least], and Vindictus come to mind), I have played most MMO's that are out. I am *very* experienced with MMO's, I've been playing them for 9 years. Sure, some people may have more experience than me, but I am wholly qualified to speak on what is a good game, and a bad game. My opinion is worth just as much as your own. I believe STO is a good game, with a large amount of context being shipped out in a timely way.

Play Rappelz, see how many years it takes you to hit max level without gPotatoes, then see how strong you are when you do hit max level (you won't be strong, you'll probably have a decent leveled Orc or Hawk). How about you try to obtain a full elite set in TS2 without spending any cash? Cabal... just lol. These are all good to great games, yet even though STO has less content, it is *not* reliant on cstore items, you can be deadly without spending a dime. This game may not be the best on the market, but don't try to pass your very much subjective opinion off as if it were fact. The foundry alone keeps me playing this game and enjoying it highly for extended periods of time.

Please, approach these things with less hostility, and at least try to be objective. STO has a lot going for it, and it has a lot that needs improvement.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Starfish1 wrote:

The lockbox comment was merely to give perspective to the "issue."

As noted: The story was done as a nice gesture by a dev. We were told up front it was short. It gave us a little wrapper for a doff mission (instead of just pressing a button and telling a doff to go find us another doff). It certainly is not worth the vitriol that is being spewed in this thread.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I particularly liked the part where the player would get trapped in a room being flooded with deadly gas.
    Sadly, the puzzle stood 1 step ahead of me, so I eventually died - only to find, to my great disappointment (not disappointed by the map, but my own perceptive skills), that I could simply have blasted the console away - as I did upon respawning.

I'd -really- like to see more hazardous situations like that. (and I'm not too sure I like the idea of wearing an EV suit to evade it, that spoils the fun)