What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 5 Dev Blog #41

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    I thought it was OK, and having the minipuzzle going while the gas is killing you was a nice touch. Yes it was kinda short, but seeing those rows of clones and hearing the decanted ones chanting at you about logic was pretty freaky!

I do hope the Dev continues the story, after all how do we know we killed all the clones, or that the dead Sibek we saw was the original? It could become a mini-FE series, with replays and a new mission released every Friday 13th (there's two every year) . Clones could appear anywhere, working for any faction. I was convinced it was going to be a zombie themed mission, bu clones are close enough!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    dstahl wrote: »
    p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced).

I think you'd have received much less anger and hostility if these systems and costume resources had been used for items that went directly into the C-Store. We've seen many times that costumes are a popular purchase and would have guaranteed you sales, but instead you chose to put them in a chance box.

Not only that, you introduced yet another currency/token into the game! The consolidation of merits/honor/badges/medals into dilithium was a good idea, but you then added over a dozen different tokens for STFs/Defera invasion, taking up finite bank/inventory space.

During season 5 development, one of the devs (I believe it was jHeinig) talked about energy credits and latinum, how people had amassed fortunes, and needed things to sink them into. You began to address this with transwarping to missions, but there has been nothing since. The transwarp consumable pack you introduced a while ago, which should have cost EC, instead went into the dilithium store. :(

The GPL store has seen no new additions, GPL is the perfect currency for Ferengi vendors, yet you chose to open a new store for a new currency.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I enjoyed the mission. it was fun for what it was, a short patrol like mission. id like to see more of them. i liked the doff reward as i like to collect those.

I must admit i do prefer permanent content over limited time events. however im also not opposed to events themselves so its not a big deal. my only criticism is that i think it could have been here for the whole weekend at least. i know its a friday 13th thing but some people wont be able to make it on that given day and a weekend just gives people a little more of a chance.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission

i do appreciate anyone who goes above an beyond. it is important to remember that things made in their own time are extra's that we only get because of their dedication. so thank you for that. i hope your team dont feel too shot down by some of the comments and continue to show dedication beyond normal working hours.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Is this the new trend? Doing episodes that aren't available purrmeownently? Why do cute content if it's not really playable? At least not for longer than a few days a year (like the invasion zone too).
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6

I'm one to give someone TRIBBLE but I'd give this one 10 stars If I could :) It was very well done and would like to see more like this to come out. Possibly maybe they could do one for memorial day of the battle of Wolf 359 and the Destruction of Romulus... maybe a special liberated borg who was taken at 359, some other type of survivor, and a doff hellbent on revenge from Romulus.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It'd be cool if the exploration clusters were done this atmospherically.

That's the gist of the mission: a really good exploration cluster but with several custom assets (music, VO, character/environment art).
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Fun little episode.

But, did the clones start conducting experiments on the original? thats a little more Twilight Zone then Star Trek. ( I would agree that the unvaling of the clones should have been more of a shocking moment)

Over all the mission we got was good, and the Dev team that did this should get a pat on the back. Season 6 sounds pretty good, but that also sounds a little far off. I'm hoping that we get a few more of these “one-off episodes” before then.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ok, I'm going to be brutally honest here, because if I don't bring up things I feel are wrong, they are certainly never going to be addressed.

SPOILERS HERE!

I just played the mission, and I didnt really feel threatened, there was no human instinct of being hunted or anything, it just...wasn't scary. The addition of the horror sound when you scan thee guy's body was a nice touch and all, but the rest just felt as if I was walking around a dimly lit station, and that somehow doesnt terrify me.

In What Lies Beneath, there was a feeling that the place was definitely haunted, the destroyed look as well as the total darkness allowed you to feel isolated and vulnerable, there was also a lot more of an "unseen enemy" type of feel towards it. I'm sorry to rip you guys on this, but I just was not scared.

I feel some of the assets however, such as the dim lighting, could be helpful in the Foundry, and maybe someone can make a truly terrifying mission, but as it stands, it just felt like I was looking for a mad Vulcan, and I killed him. Job done. Go home, have a Raktajino.

My advice? Get some of your content designers to play games like Scratches or Amnesia, powerful atmospheric horrors that elicit that feeling of true terror that I should have been feeling.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Fun little episode.

But, did the clones start conducting experiments on the original? thats a little more Twilight Zone then Star Trek. ( I would agree that the unvaling of the clones should have been more of a shocking moment)

Over all the mission we got was good, and the Dev team that did this should get a pat on the back. Season 6 sounds pretty good, but that also sounds a little far off. I'm hoping that we get a few more of these “one-off episodes” before then.

What?
    Did you play a different mission than me?

The ONLY "interesting" thing in that mission was the "Trap" (As I said earlier, I simply used my EV Suit...).
    There was NO Story to that mission, just some text that absolutely didn't matter at all and then "Clones"...

The Mission was nothing more than 5 Minutes of shooting the same character model over and over again.

All that PR Stuff about being "an event", "being Horror", being "The Pursuit of knowledge gone awry", "Science gone wrong" is complete BS...

If anything it is just someone that couldn't complete his experiments because he died and the "experiments" are now left to themselves...
    There is nothing gone wrong... there is nothing "scary"... there are no "twists"... there is nothing fun or horror but pressing 1 and 2 on my keyboard.

It would have been "scarier" if they at least TRIED it...
    Like, that old Vulcan hiding in a dark, partly destroyed (due to his experiments) base with no energy, stalking us while we roam the base to find out what happend, having his shape pop up several times in the dark, hearing voices etc. and having him attack us at the end, forcefully mindmelding with the player character and we are left in a mixture of our and his subconscious forming nightmares around us that we have to "fight" through to regain our mental state or something like that...

It is even more disappointing with knowing that this mission was made and hold back until now... so they HAD the time to do something right...

It is sad to say but this time whoever made this in their personal time would have been better off spending that time watching butterflies in the woods...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Well, it wasn't terrifying, but it was quite amusing.Enjoyed it! ^^

Shame the cooldown is so long, I would have loved to play it again (even it it had no rewards) :D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I can;t even seem to find it I got to the dontu system and won't even allow me to enter. Criptic need to get these bugs sorted
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Fear, it is a painful mission I go it is necessary to be three days without sleeping. There are missions mas authentic in the foundry are a hoax.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6

Ahem, while we're on the subject of costume resources
    Do me a favor and outsource my klingon's hair to someone, anyone. All the hair options except for bald and ponlytail are ugly because they clip on all my uniforms and it makes me not want to play a kdf. Never mind that I only have 7 total hair options to choose from with my liberated borg klingon race just make the few I can choose not clip on everything please and thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Jeez people, it was a free doff and weapon giveaway that just required a little more than walking up to a guy in ESD like you did for the free IDIC tribble last time. Was it ground breaking? No. It was just a little extra thing you had to do for the giveaway this time.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!! *jumps out of his chair in joy, hits both knees on the desk* OUCH! :D
    YAY FOR SHUTTLE MISSION!

*reads the season 6 predictions* Nice, another place to fight it out with (insert race name, but i'm kinda hoping it's not more Borg, they're a bit overused in endgame). What kind of events? Speaking of which, why can't we have a bigger STF team, like 2 teams of 5 cooperating or something (kinda like some/most/all fleet actions)? Love the starbases :D. PVP overhaul, don't really care much for that, though it'll be nice. New Foundry content as in more capabilities, or just more stuff to put into our current Foundry missions? And as for tonight's episode, it sounds like something that'd take MULTIPLE people to do, considering the fact that there are new rewards, new doffs, new maps, new scripts, new VOs, etc. etc. etc.

P.S. You do realize a lot of people would like the Klingon Captain suits worn by B'vat and similar characters? I certainly would :D (which reminds me, I WANNA BE ABLE TO CHANGE CAREERS D:D:D:D:)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm sorry but I just don't believe this.

For two years it was more just over the horizon, but we just don't have the money.
    Then it was PWE has all these great resources and we'll be able to make so much and get the KDF up to speed.
    Then F2P happened, and we got loads of events & lockboxes, and more C-Store. We did get an FE (pre-F2P planned and ultimately not very awesome.) And are told we'll be getting not as much as they previously said.
    And still its "just over the horizon."

I think they have established a very poor pattern of behavior.

I've been here since the beginning and i'll be here to the end. Because I have a sub and once in a while there is something fun to do. However, I hold to my belief that Cryptic is not a very good developer, if they don't want people to think that they need to change.

But I can always change my mind IF they change. Until then, I hold to my beliefs, if they want me to change that public view, they have to work for it. I want to like STO, I really do because Star Trek is so dear to me. But I don't just like something due to its name, it is about its substance that matters.

*Gives WIlliams a Cigar* now you are looking at it as a paying customer and client who isn't fooled by window dressing. I will have to say for the first time in a while, proud of you Capt.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Armsman wrote: »
    As has been said by soe above:

- New mission content is GREAT.

- Mission content like this that only pops up on a couple of days a year, and is also only available for a VERY limited window (not even 48 hours) is IMO, somewhat of a waste of resources when we here that that there isn't enough Dev time to do a loot of FEs ; KDF content, etc.

Withg all the talk about having to justify 'Drev time spent' to PWE and saying that MANY popular things that were stated over and over by DStahl and others to be 'coming'; I really have to wonder how content like this which would only appear on a VERY limited basis for an EXTREMELY limited time (in MMO terms) was first justified and then so wholeheartedly endorsed by Cryptic/PWE upper management who seem to okay stuff like this at the drop of a hat (being we've had 3 limited time events since F2P launch) - YET - don't see the 'value' in expanding the PvE portion of the KDF so that they can also have a 1 - 50 PvE leveling experience; and NEVER see the Federation based tutorial or have to create/play a Fed character to unlock KDF play - and who also don't see the value in continuing a story narrative with FE series - but instead want massive repeatable story-lite reppeatable events that allow players to 'grind' that all important Dilithium Ore

(And to this day, I STILL don't understand why regular storyline missions don't also give some small Dilithium Ore reward on top of everthing else as Dilithium Ore was supposed to be a 'time based currency for doing thing in game - and as much as I love the Doff system - ho does clicking 5 -7 times and then waiting 30 minutes to 2 days where you effectively can do nothing more and get a Dilithium Ore reward - but ACTIVELY playing a story mission from 20 minutes to an hour ore more nets zero Dilithium Ore - and in effect gives a dis-incentive to playing story missions in general - and then the STO Dev Team wonders why data mining shows players play the story missions less then the content that easily gives Dilithium Ore...)

In general lately a lot of what's being said as to how development decisions are justified, compared to what we actually see entering the game just doesn't add up or make sense in many areas, IMO.

Well said. Agree 110%.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Foxstab wrote: »
    Such a huge let down!!!
    What a crappy delivery.

They set it up so nice.
    Drummed up as a dev blog.
    Open it with a neat trap (good thing I had the hazmat suit in the backpack).
    Talk about Fibonacci (I thought here I'm gonna have some fun kiddi math entering half the series as an entry code - NOPE).
    All this...for what? for nothing.
    5 minutes nub-dungeon blitz-through.
    I could've ran around with tsukase-whatever blades and just yawned at it all.

No sci-fi.
    No horror.
    A tweet about questionable morals.

And then it was all over.

...I barely got to move my head around to see what's in there.

YAWN.

VERY MAJORLY DISAPPOINTING CRYPTIC!!!!!

:(

As high the expectations, as deep the fall.
    Then subsequent body slam into the ground as the sudden stop arrives. 3Gs squeeze machine.

I think Cryptic spent more time writing the Dev Blog about the mission than they did creating the mission.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

So what you are basically saying is, you have so much of your team working on the stupid crappy and unwanted lockboxes, that your own staff have to work in their own time to make something fun and useful to the game? :rolleyes:

Get rid of the stupid lockboxes, add some decent mission content to the game, use the c-store for what it was meant to be used for, vanity items that you pay a one time fee to unlock in the game, and then we will let you get on with your jobs.

Once again I am seeing a lot of big words and name dropping from the EP, yet no action......

Simples :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Really liking all the content that you've been pumping out lately for events like this - they aren't major things but they make the world seem more alive and something to do while waiting for Season 6.

I'm waiting patiently for season 6 and have complete confidence in the dev's abilities :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    A few things:

- Gore has nothing to do with horror ;)

- unfortunately the mini-mission has also nothing to do with horror, a few clicks and a bit of pew pew, that´s all :p

- so far, the only mission that creeped me out was "what lies beneath", that Bonnie Kin stuff terrified me the first time :o
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ashur1 wrote:
    A few things:

- Gore has nothing to do with horror ;)

- unfortunately the mini-mission has also nothing to do with horror, a few clicks and a bit of pew pew, that´s all :p

- so far, the only mission that creeped me out was "what lies beneath", that Bonnie Kin stuff terrified me the first time :o

Gore can sometimes be used to effectively in some situations to create a horror atmosphere though I don't believe STO has ever done so, or tried infact. It was a nice of enough mission, true it wasn't truly horrifying but that is more due to the fact that the amount of crazy stuff we've seen in Sci-fi already diminishes the shock value :P

I did like the timelimit mechanic for the isolinear puzzle, made me feel more rushed and desperate to find the solution quickly.

To be honest I wouldn't mind more of these type of mini-missions. There are so many planets in the game were nothing really takes place in apart from the rare patrol mission. Having a few more of these missions might spice up the universe a bit more and make planets seem a bit less pointless on the map.

To the lockbox complainers. They generate revenue for the devs to make content - most of that content is in the form of Season 6 which is only - like what 2 months away from release? They can't put these ships in the C-store because CBS don't want people flying around in Ferengi and Cardassian ships like it's normal. Lockboxes allow the devs to put out a few of these ships while making some money in the process. It's a win win - the ships aren't even that special so if you spend money on trying to get it then on your own head be it, otherwise just ignore the lockboxes like everybody else and quit complaining.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    SatansHell wrote: »
    So what you are basically saying is, you have so much of your team working on the stupid crappy and unwanted lockboxes, that your own staff have to work in their own time to make something fun and useful to the game? :rolleyes:

Get rid of the stupid lockboxes, add some decent mission content to the game, use the c-store for what it was meant to be used for, vanity items that you pay a one time fee to unlock in the game, and then we will let you get on with your jobs.

Once again I am seeing a lot of big words and name dropping from the EP, yet no action......

Simples :rolleyes:

How on earth did you get that from what Stahl said? He specifically stated that the software and content teams - the people who put missions into the game - are doing nothing but working on Season Six.

The people who make the lockboxes and the people who make new missions are completely different. You're just seeing what you want to see, and the taking it out of proportion.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

I think you should try to understand the frustration of this year too.

New Featured Series... was the weakest one yet. Play the first two missions of the 2800, then play the first two missions of any of the other FEs and the difference should be clear

"A" KDF Episode? The KDF fans don't seem that impressed with "a" mission...

Fleet actions? We still have those?

The holiday event was neat

Would love to get in on more of the Defera action... shame it's timed and I don't have the work schedule of your typical MMO-er.

Forced team content... yippeeee... can't wait... More missions to PUG... that's going to appeal to the majority of the players definitely.

And Season 6 is being touted as more of the same??? I understand wanting to put variety into the game but how about focusing on making some MORE great Star Trek themed missions? Give us some rich Trek experiences in the game. There are lots of games out there to provide contrived MMO-esque gameplay features but only one that can deliver on putting the player in the Captain's chair...

I want to be optimistic about the future... but I have really, really been missing the old Star Trek Online lately. The PWE Free To Play version sucks...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Details about our Friday the 13th event are revealed in this entry of the Season 5 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the news article.

haha, I will have to sit and watch the wife play this one in the dark lol. should be entertaining. :)

Better have my popcorn and camera ready! I remember the halloween one she shriek out at that voice echoing through the house on my big speaker set.:D

Priceless.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This is great! More content is always good. The switch to free to play has really helped the game in my opinon. There is a TON more people running around now at all levels of play. I'll be playing this mission tonight and trying for that new Ferengi ship which is BADASS. The crates thing is good too. It worked for Team Fortress 2 and it looks like Cryptic is seeing success with it too. This is still an amzing game and if we keep getting more stuff like this neat mission and the new Alpha mission for the KDF the future looks bright!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I think much of the hate this has gotten has been misdirected rage, to do with the other release of the day. I've got plenty of that myself, which is why I refrained from commenting. As far as I'm concerned I'm not dealing with different people or groups of people within Cryptic, I'm dealing with Cryptic as a whole, and I did not want to go pay Cryptic any kind of compliment considering the other thing. The Ferengi Fiasco. Take the edge off, and the message doesn't come across...

But cause I now can't get the image out of my head of Dan having to console some kind soul who refuses to come out from under his or her desk, I'll say this, just so long as you (Dan) understand I'm still mad at you! :mad:

I liked the mission. I liked the fact that I wasn't made to fly through an empty space instance to get to my beamdown coordinates, I liked the environment, atmosphere and absense of long winding corridors and cavernous brightly lit rooms. I liked the ticking clock on the puzzle, that first time at least when I didn't cheat and put on the spacesuit. I liked shooting first. (What? Talk to him? No, Franklin sent me!) I liked the premise of it, and the mission reward. Not the first clone on my crew, though. Maela outnumbers him 7 to 1.

It wasn't very scary... I don't know why people think it should've been. Friday the 13th isn't about scary, it's about bad luck. Halloween's about scary. And it wasn't very long. But that can hardly be a bad thing, if you take a mission that's playable only every once in a while, and people with lots of alts have to run through it. People who complain its short now, would complain it was too long or didn't stick around long enough to get all the characters they wanted to get through it, though it, if it had been longer.

So, uh, thanks.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    That made no sense in why they did that.
    Who is going to use up their dilithium to buy a ship?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm not angry, nor raging, just... disappointed.

This mission was being touted as a horror mission... it wasn't. Not at all. What lies beneath? that's a horror mission. This wasn't scary, or suspenseful, I wasn't frightened shocked, nothing.

And then there's the length. Mini-Episode, or Mini-mission however you wished to call it, is an overstatement. I can do this mission in 2-3 minutes. While reading everything. The Isoliniar chip puzzle takes me about... 5 seconds, the turrets take about 7, bugs 12, final room 30 at most so half the mission is shooting, the other half is running around and reading 2-3 things + a cutscene that's not very exciting.

I can appreciate that someone took free time to make this mission. But the way this was touted, and made an event mission, and treated so special while dozens of longer, well written, and exceptional Foundry missions sit on the foundry, providing little XP and no rewards, is a bit of a shot to the gut of both players and foundry authors.