Install Arc
Options

Season 5 Dev Blog #41

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    In a game that already has 0 content you only give people 24 hours to play a smidgen of new content you roll out? What is wrong with you? Some of us aren't able to log in every day.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Prays4u wrote: »
    In a game that already has 0 content you only give people 24 hours to play a smidgen of new content you roll out? What is wrong with you? Some of us aren't able to log in every day.

You completely ruined anything you said after by stating this game has 0 content, what game have you been playing?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    dstahl wrote: »
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6

What did you expect. STO has been nothing more then a joke since the original launch. A bit of advise to you, Take a look at how DC Universe Online is handling F2P and membership, especially since what you guys are doing is not exactly working and it pushing away people that were subscribers and LT members. And on other thing, finish the Klingon faction already.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    In defense of the kind soul who spent their own personal time making this mission quite some time ago but was asked if they would hold of publishing it so we use it for a fun little Friday the 13th event - that person doesn't deserve the TRIBBLE laid on them by this thread.

Since F2P launched we have seen one of the most intense 5 week Feature Episode series, a new fully produced KDF episode, a remade KDF Fleet Action, an updated FED/KDF Fleet Action, a Star Trek themed Holiday accompanied by a sale, entirely new worldwide missions on Defera, a fun little friday the 13th episode, and next week you are getting a level 51 shuttle 5 man mission.

On top of that Season 6 is under heavy development which will bring a new Defera like ground invasion, several new 5 man events, new 20 man Fleet events that take place at your starbase, along with starbase construction missions, the start of the PVP overhaul, new Foundry content and anything else like tonight's episode that someone on the team wants to spend their own after hours time making.

So while I can understand the frustration of the last year, since we launched F2P, it has been a lot more content and a lot more on the way.

I can appreciate skepticism, but the hate dumped on an employee who made something fun for everyone to do on Friday the 13th is a bit much.

p.s. lock boxes and rewards in them don't take "mission" resources - they take systems and costume resources (some of which can even be outsourced). Software and Content teams are doing nothing but making new game features and mission content every day = i.e. Season 6

I just want to say that this is the best dev response that I have ever seen on every MMO forum that I have ever read. People are always bashing developers by saying that there isn't enough for them to play. Or they don't like how this class acts or (perhaps the most famous one of all) PvP is not balanced.

I played this game in beta and even bought a lifetime subscription, but I left to play other games just two months into the game. It had nothing to do with game play or design, but the story line. I just didn't care for the path that the Star Trek Universe was taking. To me Star Trek is about the search for peace and the discovery of the unknown. Yet, this game seemed to be more about destroying your enemy rather then trying to understand your enemy.

Then I read the novel Needs of the Many and my mind got a little more open. I came back shortly after the release of Free-to-Play and have been enjoying it ever since.

I think the game came a long way since launch and added elements to the game that to me is what makes the world of Star Trek so unique. I for one would like you to know that I appreciate the effort of you and and your team and know that you gained a fan that was once disappointed.

The only thing I have to ask is: Is there any plans for another novel based on STO?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Xautos wrote:
    again its contructive comments, just take it onboard and learn from it. if you resolve some of the rough edges with the community, then you may even get a better response from the hardliners like myself.

The problem is, a lot of it wasn't constructive, there was a lot of people saying "The mission is awful, there's no way it should be in game," with no attempt to provide opinions on how to fix it.

Constructive criticism would have been along the lines of, "I thought it was an awful mission because..." or "It wasn't good but could be better if..."

It wasn't scary, it had awful writing, it was a buggy mess. <-- These aren't constructive, these are just people shouting out insulting things about the mission, to be constructive they need to say why they didn't find it scary (fear is subjective after all, one person may find spiders genuinely frightening, another won't be bothered), explain what you didn't like about the writing, detail the bugs and send bug reports rather than shouting about them here.

There's a massive difference between insultingly nasty comments and constructive criticism, the former are just nasty ways of shouting out problems with the mission, the latter is taking the time to give suggestions for improvement.

EDIT -
    Primus01 wrote: »
    What did you expect. STO has been nothing more then a joke since the original launch. A bit of advise to you, Take a look at how DC Universe Online is handling F2P and membership, especially since what you guys are doing is not exactly working and it pushing away people that were subscribers and LT members. And on other thing, finish the Klingon faction already.

DCUO has a larger dev team.
    DCUO charges for nearly every new addition to the game including the monthy blocks of content they put out.

STO has a smaller dev team.
    STO only charges for ships, services and cosmetic items.

Compare the two statements, then figure out what would vanish from Silvers if they adopted the DCUO model.

-Alternate ship skins - Paid content
    -KDF - Paid content
    -Episodic Missions - Paid content
    -Exchange - Paid content
    -Trading - Need to pay for that too
    -Chat - Rate limited, unless you pay
    -Mail - Basic service only, no items until you pay.
    -STFs - Paid Content
    -Fleets - We'll let you join, but not form one yourself, unless you pay of course.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    bluedarky wrote: »
    The problem is, a lot of it wasn't constructive, there was a lot of people saying "The mission is awful, there's no way it should be in game," with no attempt to provide opinions on how to fix it.

Constructive criticism would have been along the lines of, "I thought it was an awful mission because..." or "It wasn't good but could be better if..."

It wasn't scary, it had awful writing, it was a buggy mess. <-- These aren't constructive, these are just people shouting out insulting things about the mission, to be constructive they need to say why they didn't find it scary (fear is subjective after all, one person may find spiders genuinely frightening, another won't be bothered), explain what you didn't like about the writing, detail the bugs and send bug reports rather than shouting about them here.

There's a massive difference between insultingly nasty comments and constructive criticism, the former are just nasty ways of shouting out problems with the mission, the latter is taking the time to give suggestions for improvement.

EDIT -

DCUO has a larger dev team.
    DCUO charges for nearly every new addition to the game including the monthy blocks of content they put out.

STO has a smaller dev team.
    STO only charges for ships, services and cosmetic items.

Compare the two statements, then figure out what would vanish from Silvers if they adopted the DCUO model.

-Alternate ship skins - Paid content
    -KDF - Paid content
    -Episodic Missions - Paid content
    -Exchange - Paid content
    -Trading - Need to pay for that too
    -Chat - Rate limited, unless you pay
    -Mail - Basic service only, no items until you pay.
    -STFs - Paid Content
    -Fleets - We'll let you join, but not form one yourself, unless you pay of course.

KDF would not be paid content because it is a second faction which should have been complete a long time ago.

The fleets are that way now.

I think there should be paid DLC because it bring in money and subscribers would have access to DLC for free.

DC Universe treats there subscribers much better.

I know it would limit Silver member to the general content, but nothing in life it truly free, just different payment options
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    The fleets are that way now.

I'd check your information, after 20 hours play or if you get 1 C-Point off the exchange you get full access to chat and fleet functionality without paying a penny.
    KDF would not be paid content because it is a second faction which should have been complete a long time ago.

KDF would be charged for as it's incomplete and will take time and money to complete, also at least KDF is an original faction with it's own missions and not a reversal of the Federation missions as the villain missions are in DCUO to the hero ones.
    DC Universe treats there subscribers much better.

DCUO had no priority queuing when they went free to play which meant that I, a long time subscriber, was locked out of game for 3 hours waiting for all the new free players to log out which cost them my business. At least that functionality was in STO before F2P launched.
    I think there should be paid DLC because it bring in money and subscribers would have access to DLC for free.

I have little opinion on this issue myself being someone who intends to keep subbing come hell, rain or shine. You probably actually wouldn't care due to your lifetime sub, but I at least admire our devs for attempting to give us quality content on a regular basis for free no matter how you pay or don't pay.

And as someone who plays Alliance in WoW, yes, this is quality content compared to what we had last expansion over there.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Any chance in our sto community we could find a wormhole to suck us back a few days to get another go at it :p

Didn't get a chance to do it with all my captains due to work commitments :D

Much appreciated.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'd check your information, after 20 hours play or if you get 1 C-Point off the exchange you get full access to chat and fleet functionality without paying a penny.
    In my opinion chat should be limited as long as they are a non-subscribers. The current matrix is and has been nothing more then a joke.

KDF would be charged for as it's incomplete and will take time and money to complete, also at least KDF is an original faction with it's own missions and not a reversal of the Federation missions as the villain missions are in DCUO to the hero ones.
    Every MMO other than STO has 2 complete factions. If they did choose to make people pay, well then they will suffer the consequences.
    DCUO had no priority queuing when they went free to play which meant that I, a long time subscriber, was locked out of game for 3 hours waiting for all the new free players to log out which cost them my business. At least that functionality was in STO before F2P launched. I just took them a little longer to implement a priority queuing system. they do have on now and STO already has is so your statement is irrelevant.

I have little opinion on this issue myself being someone who intends to keep subbing come hell, rain or shine. You probably actually wouldn't care due to your lifetime sub, but I at least admire our devs for attempting to give us quality content on a regular basis for free no matter how you pay or don't pay.

And as someone who plays Alliance in WoW, yes, this is quality content compared to what we had last expansion over there.

I glad you are willing to continue to throw money at them, but many like myself have been with STO since close beta and have support them through the C-Store whether we were lifetime member or not have grown tired of the incompleteness of the game.

There is no issue with the Devs they do a decent job with their tasks, it is an issue in with the more management and the business decisions.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    It was a fine mission. I enjoyed playing it once. I dismissed the Doff because, frankly, I don't want him on my crew.
    My thanks to the author.

I'm sorry that this mission's release has been overshadowed by all the other issues with the game, especially the bad feelings regarding the new gachapon-based business model.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Saint_Luke wrote:
    Any chance in our sto community we could find a wormhole to suck us back a few days to get another go at it :p

Didn't get a chance to do it with all my captains due to work commitments :D

Much appreciated.

Agreed. My ISP picked a great time to have issues and compound it by not getting it running right until Monday. :mad:
  • Options
    edited April 2012

The game is something very different since F2P and I applaud anyone in the Cryptic team who gives trolls a direct public talking too.

The most recent content is top quality, it shows great things to come and as a player who slammed Cryptic plenty over 2 years I can now say I am overjoyed. That also means I'm putting more money into the game in support of what I call a hobby.

One dislike are the boxes but everything else is getting better. So why is it most of the trolls I find in the forum have blue names. They put the game down harshly, even abuse staff at times yet they paid a big sum for the game. That is a confusing one, lack of loyalty I suspect.

I feel Star Trek Online is at a point where it does not need these kind of players. Cryptic should begin considering asking the occasional player to stop playing based on feelings they expressed for the good of the player not just the game. Players who do not sum things up, they just slander and and troll while never taking the bigger picture into consideration. They aren't here to feedback, they just damage.

Well done to Cryptic on the fact the games going where we want it. I beg the community to not engage with trolling instead give constructive feedback now that the game is on a whole new direction. It has to be giving a chance, no?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Just posted a quote from Stahl's participation in this thread on my fleets website regarding fleet bases. I also have some questions on that page...

http://www.assimilatedinitiative.com/cryptic/d-stahl-season-6-quote/

If anyone could answer the questions on my post it would be very appreciated. I'm spreading the word about fleet bases, I surprised a lot of people in the game itself when I announced the quote. People are as excited as when the game was on beta.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    What annoys me the most, is the mission is only available for a couple of days then it's gone. It really annoys me like with limited rewards as if you miss it you can't get it again. If you're going to put the time, effort and money into developing the mission and rewards, then leave it up for the long-term, not do this limited run jokes of a mission. Cryptic you really need to get your act together, having limited run isn't going to make people play the game more, if they can't get on, then doing something like this isn't going to make them get on if they can't. Plus it just means no more full-time content and you might in the long-term loose players thinking of going gold.

I've already decided not to buy anymore c-points or go gold until the company pick it's act up. I'd rather go buy a gold account with a different mmo and stick to free for STO

The mission has been giving a purpose, to appear on Friday 13th. It's that simple, nothing to be debated or demanding from Cryptic.

They know best. They have added this content to return and keep our interest going which is a positive thing for the entire game.