test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Making Hunting viable in the long-term

araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User
Now that I've had time to farm some trophies and lures, I've gotten to like hunting. As far as repetitive tasks it's much more entertaining than fishing. I won't comment on the mechanics and drop-rates, but there are some obvious limitations that will unfortunately see this dying off pretty fast.
  1. The Chult campaign isn't that long. I've done everything except the two and three star lures task and technically I wouldn't even need to come back there ever, except to farm keys. Since as a TR I'm not wanted for ToNG groups, I already have enough keys.
  2. It does take some time to farm 1-star lures, but after a few I already have almost everything I could want from them.
  3. Two and three star hunts have some very interesting items, but it is exponentially harder to get them and at that point probably not worth it for most. I can't even imagine how much farming would be needed for the 4-5 tries needed to get the KOS armor. I'd like to get it, but not for potentially 100 smops if I just paid for a few lures.
  4. So if KOS is meant to be a group grind, it's going to be dead as soon as players move on to another campaign.
That being said, you need to find a find a way to keep players coming back for more hunting with rewards that can acumulate, like the demonic heroic encounters. How about giving seals of the Brave as a reward for each hunt?

If you want to discourage group farming, then give them out in a chest when you can get a max of one chest of 10-20 per day. IMO that would give players an incentive to keep coming there for a while.

Comments

• Options
    asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    edited September 2017
    araxelven said:

Now that I've had time to farm some trophies and lures, I've gotten to like hunting. As far as repetitive tasks it's much more entertaining than fishing.

That being said, you need to find a find a way to keep players coming back for more hunting with rewards that can acumulate, like the demonic heroic encounters. How about giving seals of the Brave as a reward for each hunt?

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying hunts! I wrote up the original plans for the hunt system over a year ago now, and it's exciting that everyone, both PC players and console players are now getting a chance to experience it.

About the long term viability of hunts—there will be new hunts coming in the not too distant future, and we do have some plans to add things to give the system some legs, but we're actually not necessarily interested in making hunts something people feel like they should be doing forever.

Long ago, there was an internal idea that every campaign zone had to have repeatable tasks that had players wanting to come back forever, and that somehow they were all going to be directed at progressing different areas of your character (thus the various flavors of refinement item that were once available, e.g. thaumaturgic stones, etc.)

We feel like this approach is actually overwhelming and detrimental, we'd rather everyone be able to enjoy the new content, and only certain things like queues will remain "evergreen." This is why the hunt system was designed to feel very specifically like an activity in the zone that's optional. Once it becomes largely a novelty much later on, it shouldn't feel like a system that you are awkwardly being directed to despite their being largely no participation. And we'll make adjustments to ease the restrictions to match the desirability of the items.

All of that said, if people enjoy these sorts of zone activities, we'll absolutely consider adding activities like this in future modules. (For example, there was a lot of positive feedback on the treasure maps, so those have returned a few times.) So please keep providing feedback on what you enjoy, thank you!
  • Options
    tom#6998 tom Member Posts: 952 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

araxelven said:

Now that I've had time to farm some trophies and lures, I've gotten to like hunting. As far as repetitive tasks it's much more entertaining than fishing.

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying hunts! I wrote up the original plans for the hunt system over a year ago now, and it's exciting that everyone, both PC players and console players are now getting a chance to experience it.

About the long term viability of hunts—there will be new hunts coming in the not too distant future, and we do have some plans to add things to give the system some legs, but we're actually not necessarily interested in making hunts something people feel like they should be doing forever.

Long ago, there was an internal idea that every campaign zone had to have repeatable tasks that had players wanting to come back forever, and that somehow they were all going to be directed at progressing different areas of your character (thus the various flavors of refinement item that were once available, e.g. thaumaturgic stones, etc.)

We feel like this approach is actually overwhelming and detrimental, we'd rather everyone be able to enjoy the new content, and only certain things like queues will remain "evergreen." This is why the hunt system was designed to feel very specifically like an activity in the zone that's optional. Once it becomes largely a novelty much later on, it shouldn't feel like a system that you are awkwardly being directed to despite their being largely no participation. And we'll make adjustments to ease the restrictions to match the desirability of the items.

All of that said, if people enjoy these sorts of zone activities, we'll absolutely consider adding activities like this in future modules. (For example, there was a lot of positive feedback on the treasure maps, so those have returned a few times.) So please keep providing feedback on what you enjoy, thank you!
    hey asterdahl,

it would be great if the +5 rings or whatever legendary drop u want to put into those hunts werent only avaible there. I know a lot of folks who dont think the system is very fun after they did 100+ hunts but thats the only way to even have a small shot at a +5 ring (my group is at 432 hunts now and we havent seen 1 :/) So pls consider to also put that stuff into the newest endgame dungeon or smth like that.
  • Options
    brewaldbrewald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 212 Arc User
    Hi @asterdahl

The hunt concept is good, mecanics too, one negative feedback come to me everytime: Lot of time to find rare creatures and never drop the component, I think this is why you haven't more positive feedback.

Globaly on activities:
    - Fishing:
    Was great on Sea of the moving ice, before the refinement nerf, not before, and.. not really after.
    In Chult, it's just to complete the collection, so, not attractive for players

- Hunt:
    Nice concept, nice system, but now it's became boring for players due to the non-drop on rare kills.

How to give them more attractive?
    Don't know, can give only sugestions like;
    - Add rare loots on fishing and hunt in specifics area who can be used on mastercraft (for a rare receipe) not for classicals ones.
    Maybe to craft an item lvl 515 for exemple for characters or for companions.
    - Same things for unique skins
    - Possibility to craft fashion clothes...

Thx,
    Brew.
    Brewald - GWF 18.3k
    Eleonore - CW Mof Renegade 17.5k
    Harlgard le Vieux - OP Prot 18.3k
    Valrik - DC AC 18.2k
    Furiela - SW Temp 18.1k
  • Options
    lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

We feel like this approach is actually overwhelming and detrimental, we'd rather everyone be able to enjoy the new content, and only certain things like queues will remain "evergreen."

On that topic: Any chance of the chest keys for old content starting to use more modern currency? Providing a way to spend modern currency on old chest keys, or trade modern currency for older currency? Or for the old chests to start using their specific keys *or* Epic Dungeon Keys, the way they can use specific keys or Legendary Dragon keys?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

asterdahl said:

We feel like this approach is actually overwhelming and detrimental, we'd rather everyone be able to enjoy the new content, and only certain things like queues will remain "evergreen."

On that topic: Any chance of the chest keys for old content starting to use more modern currency? Providing a way to spend modern currency on old chest keys, or trade modern currency for older currency? Or for the old chests to start using their specific keys *or* Epic Dungeon Keys, the way they can use specific keys or Legendary Dragon keys?
    This is a good point. (Plz add some kind of global key to VIP rewards.)

Also, Strongholds means many of us are still not free of the need to farm old zones seemingly forever. Can we take this to mean that you're less likely to inflict something like that on us again?
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Since no-one really needs to do the lure manufacture campaign tasks if they have someone in the guild who's done them... maybe add a feature to the higher tasks...

Rank2) Enables the manufacture of 2 star lures and increases chances of taking a trophy from a 1 star hunt and/or rare beast.

Rank3) Enable the manufacture of 3 star lures and increases chances of taking a trophy from 2 star hunt. Rare beast trophy now has 100% chance to drop.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    arod7932arod7932 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

but we're actually not necessarily interested in making hunts something people feel like they should be doing forever.

Explain the +5 Ring achievement then please.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    @asterdahl
    the thing i love about hunts is that they provide gear with different stats arrangement,
    for example is the only gear in game providing deflection for my TR who is by definition a deflect based classed.
    Please in next mods dont kill this, dont stick to your classic stats arrangement.

Moreover, those pieces can be weared by every class so finally i m not being penalized stat wise by being a tr which for some reasons has always the lowest amounts
  • Options
    commanderdata002commanderdata002 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    We want to make dungeons and raids "VIABLE IN THE LONG-TERM". Not hunting, fishing, map searching, mini lairs and heroic farm!
    Still inferior compared to pre mod4 profit!
    stock and stone I can master, but there's a Wizard to manage here!
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    arod7932 said:

asterdahl said:

but we're actually not necessarily interested in making hunts something people feel like they should be doing forever.

I think they still don't understand that putting achievements in the game means a large chunk of console players feel obligated to do ALLLLLL of them. The devs view achievements as optional. (Which, bloody hell, of course they are, but that's not how gamer psychology works.)
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    fuzzmeisterjfuzzmeisterj Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited September 2017

arod7932 said:

asterdahl said:

I think they still don't understand that putting achievements in the game means a large chunk of console players feel obligated to do ALLLLLL of them. The devs view achievements as optional. (Which, bloody hell, of course they are, but that's not how gamer psychology works.)
    Heck yeah we do. I got 1000+ hours in this game and feel good when I complete the list for a new mod. MSVA flawless sucked, but It felt good when it happened. This is pure RNG and you can't plan on getting this without playing it forever,
  • Options
    araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    asterdahl said:

araxelven said:

@asterdahl This is actually sort of disapointing. The hunts are are nice break from other activities, even if (as others have said) the T3 lures are wayyyy to expensive to earn in relations to their value. Now that I've completed Chult (except for ToNG, because even 15k TRs are unwanted there), I really have no incentive to go back there ever again even though I like the zone. I'd love to get the Amiculum because I think it's an absolutely gorgeous design, but there's no way I'm doing that alone without another incentive, even if it's over the long-term.

Compared to other weeklies and dailies at least the Hunts feel logical. Do I really have to kill Baphomet every week? How many times are Tiamat and Demogorgon going to be ressurected? Malabog, Valindra, Orcus, etc... Yeah, that's the repetitive nature of MMOs but at least the Hunts are something real people do everyday in real life. To eat or (yuck) to collect trophies.

How about this:

1) Allow us to stack the trophies. That should be obvious by now. Keep them tradable and not sellable, like cards in other games.
    2) Keep the RNG as it is. It's not very favorable, but it keeps things interesting.
    3) Give us another reward for T2s and T3s that will keep us coming back. Like a few Seals of the Brave (please!).
    4) Consider expanding the system for other zones, with new exclusive rewards or titles, and introducing rare versions of common ennemies. How about hunting for Giant King ears, Drow Matron insignias, Demon Lord fangs, etc...

That way it's a bit like an updated version of the zone rewards that have existed since vanilla, but in an updated and hopefully more interesting format. It's also another incentive to keep older players interested when we've completed every campaign and every boon, like I have.

Oh and please consider putting a priority on updating the TR!
    Post edited by araxelven on
  • Options
    thefabricantthefabricant Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5,248 Arc User
    I intensely dislike the hunt system and quite frankly I think the fact that legendary rings are gated behind it is a terrible design decision and here is why:

1) Legendary rings are aimed at the 1%ers, the people who want to be absolutely and unequivocally best in slot. They want to chase every last percentage they can get out of their character and they want the item made out of unobtainium.
    2) Hunts are aimed at the solo player, who doesn't enjoy farming dungeons and spends most of their time in open world areas.
    3) Your 1% player, is, for the most part, not a solo player and prefers to spend their time in dungeons and raids. This means that the type of player who will grind for these rings is being forced to do something they hate to do, which is ultimately making them not enjoy the time they spend playing, which may make them want to stop playing.

@asterdahl and @nitocris83 I think the inclusion of legendary rings as hunt drops is a terrible design decision and they should either be included in the drop table of dungeons, or better yet, the method of obtaining them should not be left to chance. Every hunt you do should give 1/200th of a ring, then after 200 hunts you have your ring. It is still a massive grind, but at least you are able to feel some sense of progression while you are hunting. I know people who have done over 400 of 1 type of hunt and not got the item they want and they feel terribly discouraged by it, because unlike legendary rings in dungeons, you literally have a better AD return opening lockboxes then you have by doing hunts.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    I think the inclusion of legendary rings and extremely rare drops was a mistake in this game in general. With so little engaging content, the only goal in the game is to get to BIS for most people. Having a .0000000000001% chance of a ring drop, compounded with multiple varieties of rings with different states....is nothing but a carrot on a stick in a game where the carrots are the only goal.

Put a cap on bad RNG, with seals, ring pieces, easter bunnies I don't care. Observer bias aside, people spending hundreds of pwards and running dungeons hundreds/thousands of times.....thats just not healthy.
  • Options
    masterogamasteroga Member Posts: 474 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    @asterdahl @nitocris83

0% of people enjoy the RNG aspect of this game (outside of lockbox junkies). Putting the best items, or even just these trophies, behind an RNG wall is infuriating. Myself and a friend each grinded demo/edemo almost the exact same amount....I got 11 orange rings, and he got 0. He didn't have much desire to play after that

Every single item should be obtainable for everyone with the same amount of grinding. Create a new seal currency that takes a while to build up...and harder content pays MUCH more of them