Options

prepatch download happens everytime I log out and back in

13»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Aha, I think I figured out this 16MB patch issue. Files that are not in the prepatch are being deleted from the main hoggs, so you have to redownload them. Fix incoming!

Which is probably also re-triggering the pre-patch download after those are patched back in. Thus causing the endless cycle of patch, pre-patch, patch, pre-patch we keep having.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay, new launcher (CL_2010_03_19) has been pushed live so you should see it shortly. This should eliminate the 16MB patch. Hopefully this will fix both issues, so please report back :-)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Okay, new launcher (CL_2010_03_19) has been pushed live so you should see it shortly. This should eliminate the 16MB patch. Hopefully this will fix both issues, so please report back :-)

Ahhh, no more 16 MB patch! Yay! Thanks CR!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I downloaded the new launcher and it patched 16MB then got laggy again once I got in game. So I left the game and tried again and the second time it didn't do the 16MB patch but my lag starts on the char screen instead of once I get in game now so game is still unplayable, I just can see the lag sooner.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ahhh, no more 16 MB patch! Yay! Thanks CR!
    Does it prepatch repeatedly still?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:

Trying to find that out now.

Unfortunately as I mentioned each time it tried to repeat the prepatch procedure it started by overwriting the files I already downloaded earlier, so that kinda put me back to square one in terms of actually 'having' the prepatch (silly me for not backing it up, i know).

So it'll be about 20-30 minutes for me to redownload a full version of the prepatch. Then I'll have to log in, quit the game and see if it goes into a prepatch loop again. I do hope you fixed it now. :o
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:

I originally had the repeating prepatch problem and then it suddenly fixed itself 2 days ago. So I can't say as I am no longer having that problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yay! It seems to be fixed, at least for me.

When I exit the game now the launcher still comes up for a brief moment, but then closes down without any further patching. The prepatch I downloaded on the last round is still in tact. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Took awhile to get the new launcher, kept opening and closing by itself but no 16MB repeat patch on exit this time.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    currently patching the 2 gb patch for the 5th time so not fully fixed >.<
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:

This seems to have fixed the 16 meg live download and the 2 gig prepatch download for me. It did both once after the new launcher installed and hasn't repeated. Thanks Coderanger!
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:

After re-pre-patching because I'd canceled it the last time it was stuck on the cycle, I relaunched and am happy to report that it didn't re-patch the 16mb again, nor did it re-download the pre-patch. Upon exit, the launcher did pop-up for the pre-patch, did it's check to see if I had pre-patched then closed without starting a fresh download.

Good job fixing this issue and thanks for getting the fix to us as quickly as ya did.:):)
    franchizai wrote: »
    currently patching the 2 gb patch for the 5th time so not fully fixed >.<
    Did ya cancel the pre-patch last time it started before finishing it, before the launcher update?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    It seems to be downloading a 13mb patch constantly now.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    To everyone in this thread: please make sure you have an up-to-date version of the launcher (not one of the old test ones from SuperMartin) and please post what you see as the ct IP on the debug dialog (press X).

OK! I mean, huh? :confused:

CL_2010_3_19_15_04

That is not the number everybody is telling me to look for, but it's the one I have....

What do I win!?

I keep getting this little patch that everybody is complaining about, but the big one doesn't follow it, although the DL popup jumps up after I log out of the game for a second. I thought I had downloaded it successfully, now I am not sure.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:

I've got launcher CL_2010_03_19_15_04 and ct = 208.95.185.166

I downloaded and ran star_trek_online_setup.exe

The 16 meg patch before the game lets me engage seems to be gone, but when I log out, the launcher comes up again, starts to patch, and then just vanishes. As best I can tell, I still don't have the new content.

Any help?

Thanks for looking into this issue,

Eric
  • Options
    edited March 2010

The 16 meg patch before the game lets me engage seems to be gone, but when I log out, the launcher comes up again, starts to patch, and then just vanishes. As best I can tell, I still don't have the new content.
    I have he same problem. The launcher will update my version 225a.8 to version 316a.0 but the update failed.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    If you're not sure if you've got the prepatch or not then go to the following folder:
    - Cryptic Studies / Star Trek Online / Live and r-click on the 'prepatch' folder and select properties.

What does it give as the folder size? It should be about 1.6gb with the full prepatch.

If your folder size is significantly smaller than that and your patch cancels when it tries to download after closing down the game, then try the following:

- check all the files in the prepatch folder to see if they're not read-protected ( r-click on each -> properties, make sure read-only is unticked)
    - before closing down the game disable your antivirus, as well as any advanced features like kapersky ad-banner
    - make sure you don't have a proxy set for patching (click on Options in the launcher and make sure 'proxy = none' and 'patch via proxy' is unticked). If you do rely on having a proxy set to connect to the game then you might want to try ticking that box if it was previously unticked.

If none of the above works, try contacting tech support and sending in a bug ticket. If you have a friend nearby who also plays STO you could always copy the prepatch folder from his PC to yours. WIll save you some downloading too. :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Amarinth wrote:
    If you're not sure if you've got the prepatch or not then go to the following folder:
    - Cryptic Studies / Star Trek Online / Live and r-click on the 'prepatch' folder and select properties.
    What does it give as the folder size? It should be about 1.6gb with the full prepatch.

Thank you, although now I feel stupid. I've got 1.6 GB in that folder, so apparently the launcher is quitting because the download is already done.

So we have the prepatch, but issue itself hasn't launched yet, so the patch hasn't been applied yet? I wonder how I missed it downloading, and I wonder how I got it in my head that the client should be applying the patch? I'm guessing old age.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    ambience wrote: »
    I ran it and it worked fine; it didn't re-download the game for me. I ran it hoping it would fix the stupid 16MB patch issue I get every time I start the launcher, but it didn't.

I get the pre-patch window popping up every time I exit the game, but it just goes away after a minute or two after it realizes the prepatch data is already there.

I have same issue but more - the prepatch started to download manytimes twice it made it about half way the there was a "sorry the launcher program" crashed notice to report to microsoft... right.

Anyway it keeps doing the 16 mb patchwhen I start the launcher then when I log out it starts the pre-patch again but now closes on its own after 20 seconds or so.

How about just making the prepatch downloadable without the launcher?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Renko wrote: »
    Took awhile to get the new launcher, kept opening and closing by itself but no 16MB repeat patch on exit this time.

I'll partially take that back, what it's doing today when I exit, the launcher opens again by itself, thinks about patching and then closes.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    wrote:
    I'll partially take that back, what it's doing today when I exit, the launcher opens again by itself, thinks about patching and then closes.
    Thats what it should do, since the prepatch is already up to date.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    coderanger wrote:
    Thats what it should do, since the prepatch is already up to date.

Should it be downloading a 16meg patch everytime though?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    noyjitat wrote: »
    Should it be downloading a 16meg patch everytime though?

I don't get this EVERY time but it seems to happen a lot.. it's only 16mb so it only takes a few seconds for me but i'd imagine it's very annoying for other players.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    My client doesn't ever download the pre-patch.

*shrug*
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Mine finally did the download about the 18th (prior to that it closed normally), and it does check in on me after a session on the Holodeck (as opposed to the Tribble ;)).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Same here what's up with that?:confused:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Ok, so I am getting some in-game issues (rubber-banding) and I think it all started around the time of the prepatch. Also, everytime I close the game, it downloads the prepatch. So, I think that these are connected. How and where do I go to get the information you need to help me CodeRanger?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am still running into rubber-banding and getting random "server not responding" messages. What used to be causing it was my anti-virus, but I fixed that a while ago. The ticket I have open is #763208.