What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Please No Risa Casualwear!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    I still want my bikini on while fighting Borg.

Still can't quite justify it, gimme a while to rationalize something up! :D
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    zordar wrote: »
    Unfortunately, no one here said people in Star Trek only wear uniforms.

-1000 awesome points: ineligible.
    -1500 awesome points: logic fail.

Z

Actually, they asked for restrictions beyond what I've seen in any MMORPG in seven years. That would make this "Little House on the Prairie" online.

You may attempt to be witty again. Love the avatar, it suits you.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes Klingons SHOULD BE the anything goes faction which is yet another reason why Cryptic needs to get them out of beta asap.

I will agree with that.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yes Klingons SHOULD BE the anything goes faction which is yet another reason why Cryptic needs to get them out of beta asap.

yeah, I want my Kingon faction female to run into battle like Zena, all crazy-like with a slave suit on!

But I can definitely see limiting the Fed swimsuit to rec areas.

first things first though... Klingon faction outfit options are LAME. especially for females.. they can't even pick boot type? And the new hair styles STILL don't have classic wavy Orion female hair.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I am truly surprised at the prudish responses that are so prevalent throughout this thread. Admittedly I only read the first 4 or 5 pages at this point.

Here's the thing as I see it:

If characters are allowed to be portrayed in a certain outfit, allow players to use that outfit whenever they want. (This is especially true if they paid Real World Currency for it.) If an outfit is too risque, then it's too risque and not ever allowed - right? If it's no more risque than anything you'd see on a public beach in California during the summer, it's probably ok.

As for having your crew in bathing suits on an Away Mission, "Who cares?" Literally. It's you and your closest friends, or at worst four other random people. If anyone's that upset they can leave the team.

On Space Stations, I still don't really see the problem. Not everyone on station is "on duty", so if you're a roleplayer it still should not bother you.

I overheard a distressing conversation at Memory Alpha the other day that relates to this: Some people were getting on other people's cases because they were wearing their armor and thus, "Out of Uniform". Several people expressed that they should have the ability to exact some sort of punishment on people of lower rank who were "Out of Uniform". I shiver to think how such control freaks would react to characters in bathing suits on Memory Alpha.

Actually, I feel quite strongly that such power mongers should be exposed to bikinis as much as possible. These people are clearly trolling or have control issues that need to be dealt with. If they are sincere in their disdain for other players self-expression or their desire to punish others, they need to be shown that they are not, in fact, in any position to be making such demands and are powerless against those whom they would oppress.

Seriously, people. It's a game. Relax, and (most importantly) let others relax too.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    DarksunG wrote: »
    Oh hell no.. They NEED to have Orion slave girl outfits asap! well.. ok technically the NPCs have Orion woman's outfits allready.

And not just on Risa lol.

*sniffle* My main is denied the traditional garb of her people...
    dstahl wrote: »
    This is currently a topic of heated debate internally.
    • One side says that we must never allow casual wear on missions.
    • The other side says never restrict a player's costume choices.

I'm very curious to see what you think and what your arguments are for either side (or any compromises)

Never restrict. Trek canon is rife with examples of clothing that would turn more than a few heads walking down the street but were obviously fine for prime time TV.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay, so here are the proposed endings to "The Swimwear on the Edge of Indecent".
    1. No restriction. If you've got it, flaunt it.
    2. Total restriction. Swimwear only in 'swimwear' zones. Off-duty clothing okay in all areas.
    3. Compromise A - No costume restriction based on location. Penalties for wearing swimwear (-5% to 10% on all skills, or cannot use shields/armor/heavy weapons).
    4. Compromise B - No costume restriction based on location. Enable client-side toggle to enable or disable viewing non-uniform costumes.
    5. Compromise C - No costume restriction based on location. Swimwear is treated as a kit instead of a costume, or is a "consumable" purchased on Risa and only usable there.
    6. Compromise D - Designate costume slots for specific types of costume pieces (uniform, off-duty, swimwear) and limit those slots from being active except in designated zone.

If I missed any of the proposed solutions let me know.

Z
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sooo.. you've never fought Orions in a Ground mission, huh? Or maybe you just missed the outfits that the women you fought were wearing.

Anyway, I'm still all for bikinis and swimwear only being allowed in casual social zones like Risa. Other, not-so-reveealing casualwear should be allowed everywhere else though.

And you have obviously missed the dozens of posts Ive made regarding my feelings about this issue. Let me reiterate it since you have a hard time keeping up.

Off Duty Uniforms - (not swimwear, but civilian attire) allowed EVERYWHERE.....Let me say that again for ya. EVERYWHERE.

SwimSuits - Risa. Not SpaceDock.

Is this more clear to people? Im not demanding people be restricted when it comes to Off Duty Uniforms. Only asking that you make a compromise in one tiny aspect of Off Duty Uniforms. Which is restrict the swimsuits.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Okay, so here are the proposed endings to "The Swimwear on the Edge of Indecent".
    1. No restriction. If you've got it, flaunt it.
    2. Total restriction. Swimwear only in 'swimwear' zones. Off-duty clothing okay in all areas.
    3. Compromise A - No costume restriction based on location. Penalties for wearing swimwear (-5% to 10% on all skills, or cannot use shields/armor/heavy weapons).
    4. Compromise B - No costume restriction based on location. Enable client-side toggle to enable or disable viewing non-uniform costumes.
    5. Compromise C - No costume restriction based on location. Swimwear is treated as a kit instead of a costume, or is a "consumable" purchased on Risa and only usable there.
    6. Compromise D - Designate costume slots for specific types of costume pieces (uniform, off-duty, swimwear) and limit those slots from being active except in designated zone.

If I missed any of the proposed solutions let me know.

Z

The option to use a uniform default client side filter has been suggested since Beta. It's mentioned several times in this thread.

This would also remove the offense of non Klingon KDF from people offended by it. It coud also anything else people decide to be offended by.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Laylyn wrote: »
    The option to use a uniform default client side filter has been suggested since Beta. It's mentioned several times in this thread.

Yeah, that's why it's in the list.

-500 awesome points: redundantly obvious redundancy.

Z
  • Options
    edited March 2010

This would also remove the offense of non Klingon KDF from people offended by it. It coud also anything else people decide to be offended by.

I agree with this, I mean if you don't like seeing the bathing suits just use uniform default. DON'T ruin it for everyone, it just makes you sound like a pathetic prude trying to ruin the fun in the game.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I think it's pretty much impossible for someone who is seeking a community feel in the game to support a client-side visual filter on clothing.

Being able to strip everyone else's clothes off and dress them the way YOU want them to look has nothing to do with a community. It's a choice that comes entirely (and forcibly) from single-player game territory, at least in my estimation.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yeah, that's why it's in the list.

-500 awesome points: redundantly obvious redundancy.

Z

4.Compromise B - No costume restriction based on location. Enable client-side toggle to enable or disable viewing non-uniform costumes.

Takes care of the KDF race debate too? The original proposal from beta took care of all of these things. You didn't articulate that.

-50,000,000 awesome points for having less reasoning and reading skills than the average Pakled.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    4.Compromise B - No costume restriction based on location. Enable client-side toggle to enable or disable viewing non-uniform costumes.

Takes care of the KDF race debate too? The original proposal from beta took care of all of these things. You didn't articulate that.

-50,000,000 awesome points for having less reasoning and reading skills than the average Pakled.

I'm sorry. This is a casual wear thread. For illogical troll threads, press 1. For angry troll threads, press 2. To return to main menu, press space bar forcefully with your forehead several times.

Z
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I'm sorry. This is a casual wear thread. For illogical troll threads, press 1. For angry troll threads, press 2. To return to main menu, press space bar forcefully with your forehead several times.

Z

I think I saw the first version of that post in 2003. Thanks for the memories, it is like watching a pilot in 2010 quoting Top Gun.

You may now return to telling everyone what they are allowed to wear. We have no idea what you are doing when you are misquoting others compliments.

This is your moment. Don't let the rest of us get in the way...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Yatakedeze wrote:
    I am truly surprised at the prudish responses that are so prevalent throughout this thread. Admittedly I only read the first 4 or 5 pages at this point.

Here's the thing as I see it:

If characters are allowed to be portrayed in a certain outfit, allow players to use that outfit whenever they want. (This is especially true if they paid Real World Currency for it.) If an outfit is too risque, then it's too risque and not ever allowed - right? If it's no more risque than anything you'd see on a public beach in California during the summer, it's probably ok.

As for having your crew in bathing suits on an Away Mission, "Who cares?" Literally. It's you and your closest friends, or at worst four other random people. If anyone's that upset they can leave the team.

On Space Stations, I still don't really see the problem. Not everyone on station is "on duty", so if you're a roleplayer it still should not bother you.

I overheard a distressing conversation at Memory Alpha the other day that relates to this: Some people were getting on other people's cases because they were wearing their armor and thus, "Out of Uniform". Several people expressed that they should have the ability to exact some sort of punishment on people of lower rank who were "Out of Uniform". I shiver to think how such control freaks would react to characters in bathing suits on Memory Alpha.

Actually, I feel quite strongly that such power mongers should be exposed to bikinis as much as possible. These people are clearly trolling or have control issues that need to be dealt with. If they are sincere in their disdain for other players self-expression or their desire to punish others, they need to be shown that they are not, in fact, in any position to be making such demands and are powerless against those whom they would oppress.

Seriously, people. It's a game. Relax, and (most importantly) let others relax too.

Not entirely true. There are a few away missions where you are randomly paired with people in open instances. This is one of the concerns. Sure they can leave the team but that is forcing an offended player to have to go out of their way to get out of a situation they don't want to be in, thus catering to what you want while totally ignoring what they want out of the game.

People should really avoid trying to paint all the people that have raised concerns as "prudish" and "power mongers". That is akin to the earlier attempt to label them all fascists and an insult to everyone that has expressed their opinion. Whether you agree with them or not they are entitled to their opinion on this. People are trying to find a work around compromise that the community can agree on. A few great alternatives like client side filters, outfit penalties, and special outfit slots have been offered. To just brush aside and assume people that have objections are doing it because they want to control what you are doing is foolish. Dismissing all the objections, and saying TRIBBLE you I want to do what I want to do and I don't care how you feel about it is not the right way to go.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Z

So what do you think you are doing??
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    As long as it is not something really in-decent, meh, let people have their fun.
    Star Trek Online is not just for the hardcore fans or hardcore players.
    If it is something that would get the rating hammer layed into it, then yea, then there would more than likely be a cause for some serious concern.

If it is a big issue for the players, then let the players handle it in their own way through various realistic avenues like telling team members/fleet members to dress appropriately or be denied access to groups or lose fleet privalages.

If they allowed us to wear shorts, I wouldn't, I have my own reasons for that.
    If It becomes an issue, let the players handle it in their way.
    After all, the game for the most part is soloable, about the only time you may be forced to see it would be at a space station or some team/fleet activity.

Alot of the uniform issues should not have a ton of restrictions, as there is nothing else to do other than fly a starship and do exploration missions.
    So of course people are going to want to wear that stuff on duty as well, there isn't much that takes place off duty to warrent such restrictions.

If anything, they could set up some behind the scenes mechanics to check for your attire and dock you points on your missions if you are not dressed in starfleet approved duty gear.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nymph19 wrote:
    So what do you think you are doing??

Um, posting a list of the suggestions made in this thread to address the potential problem of unrestricted swimwear? I did. It's a few posts up. Really.

Z
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I know DOMO allowed you to make it so everyone showed up in their 'default' clothing. Of course, it also made YOU show up in it so really...

Honestly, if you can't handle some people running around in bathing suits, I mean this in the nicest way possible but... it's just a game people. You don't have to interact with those players if you don't want too, and I doubt you will suffer any sort of long-term emotional or mental damage from seeing one.

I won't lie, I probably will do it myself. I'm not 'SRS BSNS RPER' 24/7 all the time after all. I like to just have fun, unwind and have some laughs once in a while.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    krisslanza wrote: »
    I know DOMO allowed you to make it so everyone showed up in their 'default' clothing. Of course, it also made YOU show up in it so really...

Honestly, if you can't handle some people running around in bathing suits, I mean this in the nicest way possible but... it's just a game people. You don't have to interact with those players if you don't want too, and I doubt you will suffer any sort of long-term emotional or mental damage from seeing one.

I won't lie, I probably will do it myself. I'm not 'SRS BSNS RPER' 24/7 all the time after all. I like to just have fun, unwind and have some laughs once in a while.

I completely agree with this, people are acting like if they see a player wearing a bathing suit on earth spacedock they will have some sort of mental breakdown. It's a game let it be fun
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nymph19 wrote:
    I completely agree with this, people are acting like if they see a player wearing a bathing suit on earth spacedock they will have some sort of mental breakdown. It's a game let it be fun

The sad reality is, they might very well have a mental breakdown. To many people are way to puritan.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can understand what they mean by 'immersion' however, as I have some RP roots of my own. I however am only annoyed by those whom actively try to "ruin" the immersion. If people just want to dress up silly or goofy though? I don't mind at all, they aren't going out of their way to ruin it for me.

It's if they start stalking you around and bugging you, then it becomes an issue. Heck, names bug me TONS more then the way people dress or create their characters.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

Way to make your arguement look invalid because you cant respect other peoples views....SRS BSNS RPER...how was that putting it in the nicest way possible?

How about this one?

If you cant handle SRS BSNS RPERs ripping on you, dont show up at Sol in a bathing suit.
  • Options
    edited March 2010

I completely agree. The whole thing seems silly enough to me that I'm betting half the people here are joking.

My grandparents went to a beach and had a swimming pool. They were also conservative and went to church every Sunday. They weren't bothered by this.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    AtomicFB wrote:
    The sad reality is, they might very well have a mental breakdown. To many people are way to puritan.

Yeah, but these people go to the beach and the swimming pool. What do they wear a three piece suit?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Way to make your arguement look invalid because you cant respect other peoples views....SRS BSNS RPER...how was that putting it in the nicest way possible?

How about this one?

If you cant handle SRS BSNS RPERs ripping on you, dont show up at Sol in a bathing suit.

Capslocks in that way is the most 'funny' way too put it. If you think it's offensive then well... that's unusual.

And really, RPers are supposed to be pretty mature. We do a lot of things normal players do not, I consider us to be rather tolerant and open-minded. I only really dislike people whom bash on people who try to enjoy any sort of RP in a game, if they want to do what is fun for them... let them. They have just as much a right to enjoy the game their own way.

It only becomes a problem if they try to harass you of course.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I can understand what they mean by 'immersion' however, as I have some RP roots of my own. I however am only annoyed by those whom actively try to "ruin" the immersion. If people just want to dress up silly or goofy though? I don't mind at all, they aren't going out of their way to ruin it for me.

It's if they start stalking you around and bugging you, then it becomes an issue. Heck, names bug me TONS more then the way people dress or create their characters.

Sorry Captain Picard, you can't use the holodeck. Your private detective costume is ruining Mr. Worf's immersion...
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I completely agree. The whole thing seems silly enough to me that I'm betting half the people here are joking.

My grandparents went to a beach and had a swimming pool. They were also conservative and went to church every Sunday. They weren't bothered by this.

Unfortunately, we're not talking about the beach or a swimming pool.

Did your grandparents go to work on their day off in nothing but a swimsuit? Did they go shopping in nothing but a swimsuit? If the answer is 'no', then using them as an example in the context of the OP is pointless.

Z
  • Options
    edited March 2010

How about this one?

Your having a breakdown about seeing some players in bathing suits its quite pathetic.

I mean really how is this in any way going to ruin the RPER community? Its a game

If it makes you feel better when I am running around in Sol in my bathing suit ill just tell everyone im taking a vacation from your constant puritan nagging.