test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

mmorpg.com Gives STO a 6.4

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Heres the review.

The reviewer thought STO rates a 7.5 with casual players, 5.0 with hardcore gamers, and 6.8 for the reviewer's personal tastes. That rounds out to 6.4, with the usual problems cited.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: 8.29
    (not when it came out, maybe now)

Dungeons and Dragons Online: 8.1
    (nice game, limited content)

Warhammer: 8.26
    (games with more PvP traditionally get a huge bump)

Age of Conan: 7.89

The main point is that quality of game rarely has anything to do with its review score in the entire MMO market segment. Plus, games that advertise with the site get an entire point boost in their reviews based on average score. Check the math.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    out of 50? (hopes it's out of 50)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I think that's fair, but I do want to stress that I have a great optimism that Cryptic, if they really want to, can grow this game into a 10.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The fact that it gets a much higher score among casuals than hardcores explains why I like it so much.

I don't have to devote 3, 4 hours a day to have fun or accomplish something in a GAME.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I generally agree with the reviewer, especially the part where the game can be fun for the casual gamer. However, as the reviewer notes, the casual player is still going to have a rough time figuring out the skills and abilities from the cryptic descriptions. I'd hit that a bit harder than the reviewer did. I'd still rate the game a 6.0.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mirai wrote: »
    Heres the review.

The reviewer thought STO rates a 7.5 with casual players, 5.0 with hardcore gamers, and 6.8 for the reviewer's personal tastes. That rounds out to 6.4, with the usual problems cited.

I think he is being very generous to think hardcore gamers (he explained more as traditional MMORPG fans) would rate this game at 5 or above a 1.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm a casual and rated the game in its current state a 4 in the Cryptic survey.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree with ratings of around 5-6 out of 10 for this game. Fun for a little bit, but overall very medicore. But Cryptic assures me I'm just not getting it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Raiden_STO wrote:
    I agree with ratings of around 5-6 out of 10 for this game. Fun for a little bit, but overall very medicore. But Cryptic assures me I'm just not getting it.
    :D:D:D
    hahahahhaa
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    lets face is it gets high marks from the casuals simplely cause they have no ideal what makes a great game and will settle for low quailty titles..these also tend to be the same ppl that settle for things in life as well such as hooking up with the ugo's and driving the beaters lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Raiden_STO wrote:
    But Cryptic assures me I'm just not getting it.

lol! :D

[need to type more to post this... Care Bears Stare]
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Battleunit wrote: »

The main point is that quality of game rarely has anything to do with its review score in the entire MMO market segment. Plus, games that advertise with the site get an entire point boost in their reviews based on average score. Check the math.

Do you have numbers for those games when it came out? I HIGHLY doubt DDO was over a 6 when it was released.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    My favorite rating comes from Game Ranking where the PS3 version of D-A-C beats out STO by 2%.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The reviewer, in my view, was spot on.

I am that casual gamer. With a demanding job and a young family, the current format of STO is exactly what I was hoping for. Due to the bugs and limited content, his score of 7.5 for casual gamers seems fair.

If you want hardcore, go play Eve. I did for six years, and it was a great game, until CCP started listening to the vocal minority on their forums.

I love your game Cryptic. Please consider your quiet contented subscribers' opinions as well as the rather vocal vitriol, that seems prevalent on your forums before making game design changes. Pretty please. ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Surprisingly few STO defenders talking about MMORPG.com being biased, not paid off, or whatever. Maybe later.
    I'm a casual and rated the game in its current state a 4 in the Cryptic survey.

Me too. My exit survey on the cancellation screen probably sounded to them like I gave it about a 2.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Really quite the shame that mmorpg.com uses the term casual in their reviews. Casual and hardcore are such arbitrary terms that they should never be used in any kind of legitimate review. I consider myself casual playing only three hours a day (NOT 7 days a week). Someone else in this thred says he enjoys being casual because he doesn't have to play 3-4 hours a day.

Obviously, there is a serious disconnect about what casual really means. Not to mention that just because a mmo is casual doesn't mean that it shouldn't have any complex aspects to it. Just because a game doesn't have raiding doesn't mean that it is any more casual than another game that uses raiding extensively.

So what's the point? You just should never use the terms hardcore and casual. They mean too many different things to too many different people to carry any meaning.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ummmm... I have been playing games for a long while , and as i have seen the trend in the last few MMO's that have come out they release unfinished , they taught us with things and they are not there. I can only wait for 6 months and see where we will be. I will say i like the game and there's alot that can be fixed and improved upon. Would i say its a fail, no. This is not a stand alone game its an mmo that will be fixed and updated for a long time. So all this railing on Cryptic, Atari or the next guy in line is not needed. Will the game be what people truly want ever , um mabey in the 23rd century. I know , all of the Flamers Cryo freze your selves and get woke up in the 23rd im sur all this will be fixed by then.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Raiden_STO wrote:

Cryptic, is very politely telling you that if you dont like the game, theres the door, and you wont be missed.

---

From this State of the Game, it seems to me that Cryptic is taking a similar stance to that of the devs for Fallen Earth: they know they are (going to be) a niche market and they are ok with it.

I rated the game an 8 (I think), and there are several things about the game that I really really hate, but ultimately they arent really game-breaking. Just ask my fleet-mates what I complain about the most. lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Raiden_STO wrote:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL :p:p:p:p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aisling wrote:
    Cryptic, is very politely telling you that if you dont like the game, theres the door, and you wont be missed.

---

From this State of the Game, it seems to me that Cryptic is taking a similar stance to that of the devs for Fallen Earth: they know they are (going to be) a niche market and they are ok with it.

Actually that is what you want to say but dont have the guts too so you stand behind cryptics name to do it.

FAIL for you
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Strombonni wrote:
    The fact that it gets a much higher score among casuals than hardcores explains why I like it so much.

I don't have to devote 3, 4 hours a day to have fun or accomplish something in a GAME.

I don't devote 3 or 4 hours a day and I am having fun and accomplishing gaining levels.

Although it's hardly an accomplishment since ANYTHING that can be trained to steer a "mouse" and push 1 button repeatedly will accomplish the same thing I do.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Raiden_STO wrote:

/fanboiiiiii raaaageeeee! :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slackjaw wrote:
    Actually that is what you want to say but dont have the guts too so you stand behind cryptics name to do it.

FAIL for you

Your avatars are getting more and more disturbing.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Your avatars are getting more and more disturbing.

And your avatar has entirely too much clothes on.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Aisling wrote:

---

The big difference is that Fallen Earth is not one of, if not the biggest, IP in SciFi and one of a very few coveted IPs ripe for this genre. So while Cryptic can take the 'nice' posture now all they want, not that I agree that is what they are suggesting, it represents a major failure for a supposed AAA game to end up a niche game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    pipvac wrote: »
    I am that casual gamer. With a demanding job and a young family, the current format of STO is exactly what I was hoping for. Due to the bugs and limited content, his score of 7.5 for casual gamers seems fair.

Perhaps. For my own personal enjoyment, I think I'd rate the game an 8.0. I lop off a whole point for the vague and confusing skill tree, 0.6 for the tiny number of character slots, and 0.4 for the character customization (due to disappointment with the uniform options). STO has become one of my top three favorite games. Still, I recognize the problems that many players are going to have with the game, so I stick with the 6.0 overall rating.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Battleunit wrote: »

ah... so games that are even BELOW those failed games are better... i see.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gHz wrote:
    The big difference is that Fallen Earth is not one of, if not the biggest, IP in SciFi and one of a very few coveted IPs ripe for this genre. So while Cryptic can take the 'nice' posture now all they want, not that I agree that is what they are suggesting, it represents a major failure for a supposed AAA game to end up a niche game.

Yeah the idea that a STAR TREK MMO could be niche by design is frickin hilarious.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Mirai wrote: »
    Heres the review.

Yes, but MMORPG.COM had to type wearing a helmet so they don't harm themselves.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Slackjaw wrote:

FAIL for you

lol

/10chars