What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

mmorpg.com Gives STO a 6.4

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Do you have numbers for those games when it came out? I HIGHLY doubt DDO was over a 6 when it was released.

Yeah, DDO is same listed. Vanguard was the same. Not sure about the others.

DDO and Vanguard both advertised with MMORPG.COM, and I suspect this had a factor. Certainly they gave it (DDO) several awards in Beta and out. I think it got a best game award, but that may have been in Beta.

Of course, Vanguard is now an outstanding game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh god...DDO was terrible. I have no respect for MMORPG.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Battleunit wrote: »
    Yeah, DDO is same listed. Vanguard was the same. Not sure about the others.

DDO and Vanguard both advertised with MMORPG.COM, and I suspect this had a factor. Certainly they gave it (DDO) several awards in Beta and out. I think it got a best game award, but that may have been in Beta.

Of course, Vanguard is now an outstanding game.

STO was advertising on MMORPG.com. I don't know if they stopped before the review was written or after lol.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Strombonni wrote:
    The fact that it gets a much higher score among casuals than hardcores explains why I like it so much.

I don't have to devote 3, 4 hours a day to have fun or accomplish something in a GAME.

just because someone plays it more than you do doesn't mean you have to also, it doesn't mean you can't have fun playing it at your speed or they have fun playing it more, gtf off your high horse an drop the holy than thou attitude. However someone plays its their choice.

Just like here you choose to be a biotch.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    zaxxon23 wrote: »
    Really quite the shame that mmorpg.com uses the term casual in their reviews. Casual and hardcore are such arbitrary terms that they should never be used in any kind of legitimate review.

--snip--

So what's the point? You just should never use the terms hardcore and casual. They mean too many different things to too many different people to carry any meaning.

There is actually a Simmons and Mediamark research term that is used in advertising, media research, and the like, based on average hours played per day. The term casual and hardcore is not used, but you can figure light, moderate, and heavy is good enough.

You are otherwise right, game reviewers are not all that careful when they throw around terms.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    STO was advertising on MMORPG.com. I don't know if they stopped before the review was written or after lol.

Not sure. Definitely insider information one wishes one knew.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    pipvac wrote: »
    The reviewer, in my view, was spot on.

I am that casual gamer. With a demanding job and a young family, the current format of STO is exactly what I was hoping for. Due to the bugs and limited content, his score of 7.5 for casual gamers seems fair.

If you want hardcore, go play Eve. I did for six years, and it was a great game, until CCP started listening to the vocal minority on their forums.

I love your game Cryptic. Please consider your quiet contented subscribers' opinions as well as the rather vocal vitriol, that seems prevalent on your forums before making game design changes. Pretty please. ;)

eve is not hard core please its like auto-pilot for auto-pilot. a point and click spread sheet it not somthing that gets most ppl going lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    out of 50? (hopes it's out of 50)

3 forum trolls post on the first page of a review thread.. In the span of, I don't know, 18 minutes.

In the future, you should stagger the posts more. gHz and TheStreaker were two minutes apart. That's just sloppy.

I'm just quoting this guy because he has me on ignore until he can figure out how to punch me in the face through the Internet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    3 forum trolls post on the first page of a review thread.. In the span of, I don't know, 18 minutes.

In the future, you should stagger the posts more. gHz and TheStreaker were two minutes apart. That's just sloppy.

I'm just quoting this guy because he has me on ignore until he can figure out how to punch me in the face through the Internet.

I LOL'ed at your last line in fact i am still howling:p:p:p:p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

So I am a troll for agreeing with MMORPG's review of STO? Wow, more proof that around here a troll = not loving the game.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gHz wrote:
    So I am a troll for agreeing with MMORPG's review of STO? Wow, more proof that around here a troll = not loving the game.

No, that was a general comment on the fact that the three of you posted pretty quickly and pretty closely in the thread. I wasn't suggesting that you're a troll for agreeing with MMORPG's review. I was suggesting that the three of you either have negativity radar, or a shared office at Blizzard, or each other's IM's and a willingness to use the phrase back me up here, bro.

In short, I'm stating that you're a troll because of every post you make. Not because of your opinion of a review.

Finally, ditch that Zoot guy. Associating with him is dragging you down. He said on release day evening that, after giving the game a fair shot, he's decided not to sub. Then he challenged me to a duel, IRL, when I mentioned it. It was a sort of magical exchange that was equal parts lol and wtf.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    No, that was a general comment on the fact that the three of you posted pretty quickly and pretty closely in the thread. I wasn't suggesting that you're a troll for agreeing with MMORPG's review. I was suggesting that the three of you either have negativity radar, or a shared office at Blizzard, or each other's IM's and a willingness to use the phrase back me up here, bro.

In short, I'm stating that you're a troll because of every post you make. Not because of your opinion of a review.

Finally, ditch that Zoot guy. Associating with him is dragging you down. He said on release day evening that, after giving the game a fair shot, he's decided not to sub. Then he challenged me to a duel, IRL, when I mentioned it. It was a sort of magical exchange that was equal parts lol and wtf.

So you think you have read every post I make? Hrm, while my comments and topics of late maybe have been more negative I have been involved in many neutral and positive threads. Perhaps you should simply avoid characterizing folks and stick to the topic of the threads.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    gHz wrote:
    So you think you have read every post I make? Hrm, while my comments and topics of late maybe have been more negative I have been involved in many neutral and positive threads. Perhaps you should simply avoid characterizing folks and stick to the topic of the threads.

interesting quote there. Not something I'd have seen because I have that troll on ignore. However his lies are still interesting.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As the game is now I gave it a 5, I think it has a good chance just needs to shake off the bugs and work on growing in time

All good things come in time, very very very few games are ever released 100% ready and without bugs, matter of fact its almost unheard of in the PC world.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Demitrie wrote:
    As the game is now I gave it a 5, I think it has a good chance just needs to shake off the bugs and work on growing in time

All good things come in time, very very very few games are ever released 100% ready and without bugs, matter of fact its almost unheard of in the PC world.

I think most people would agree with you. I think the issue is that we have to pay 15 dollars a month for stuff that should have been in at launch but were not because they rushed it out the door in a blatent money grab.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

Work time is over. Shouldn't you be playing the game now?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Demitrie wrote:
    A

If this is even true, its because of attitudes like yours. People don't have to settle for a sloppy product.

SW:TOR I think will be showing Sci/Fi MMOers how it CAN be done if done with care and patience.

Can you imagine the tumbleweeds rolling through the sectors if STO is still around?

I personally would wish that Cryptic can improve and stay alive long enough to compete, but what little faith I have in them falters with each new misstep.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I love the fanboi response:

"every review site is wrong, I am right"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    MMORPG is a very unreliable gaming web site one of the worst on the internet so i wouldn't put much credibilty behind any kind of rating system they my have...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    SW:TOR I think will be showing Sci/Fi MMOers how it CAN be done if done with care and patience.

AAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAA

/breathe

HAHHAHAAAAAAAAHAHAHAAHAA

Sorry. that's funny right there.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Oh no, a 6.4.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mosinraf wrote:
    MMORPG is a very unreliable gaming web site one of the worst on the internet so i wouldn't put much credibilty behind any kind of rating system they my have...

in your opinion of course.

MMORPG has well respected journalists who put out well respected articles.
    The forum community may well be full of idiots and half-wits but hey, you don't have to look far to dee that's nothing unique.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Greyle wrote: »
    Work time is over. Shouldn't you be playing the game now?

I am. Alt+Tab.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

in your opinion of course...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mosinraf wrote:
    in your opinion of course...

Well, my opinion amongst others.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

The grass is always greener in the game you haven't tried yet.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    mosinraf wrote:
    in your opinion of course.

The forum community may well be full of idiots and half-wits but hey, you don't have to look far to dee that's nothing unique.

I have to agree it is a rag, but then I would say they are all rags. Such websites simply cannot be accountable to gamers because they rely on developers for advertising dollars. So they tend to gloss over issues even if they have to acknowledge them. Typically, you can bank on a game they score low having issues while you have to take any good ratings they give with a grain of salt.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well, my opinion amongst others.

I don't trust any reviewer of a game except myself. 6.5 is what I gave the game a while ago.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Yeah. That score is perfect. It will go up 2 points by the summer.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    As high as a 6.4? I don't get it!

:)

Closer to a 4.