test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

mmorpg.com Gives STO a 6.4

13»

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    Last time I even bothered to look out of 15 reviews, 10 said the game was mediocre at best.

I guess only the 5 that gave it a passing grade are ones you would trust right?
    edited February 2010
    If this is even true, its because of attitudes like yours. People don't have to settle for a sloppy product.

SW:TOR I think will be showing Sci/Fi MMOers how it CAN be done if done with care and patience.

Can you imagine the tumbleweeds rolling through the sectors if STO is still around?

I personally would wish that Cryptic can improve and stay alive long enough to compete, but what little faith I have in them falters with each new misstep.

Agree with this 100%
    SW is going to be a vicious beast. I imagine a lot of games will have tumbleweeds around when they release next year.
    edited February 2010
    gHz wrote:
    So you think you have read every post I make? Hrm, while my comments and topics of late maybe have been more negative I have been involved in many neutral and positive threads. Perhaps you should simply avoid characterizing folks and stick to the topic of the threads.

I love Ninety-nine's posts, he's one of the few people who seems to have an idea of just how upset someone should be that their video game isn't just to their liking. As for what he said about the 3 of you, I see the same thing, someone posts a negative thread and the usual suspects all jump in with a chorus of "yeah, it sucks!". To be fair, it can be the same story on the positive threads.

In short, I love NInetyNine, may he post forever.
    edited February 2010
    Been following MMO's over the last 10 years, and TOR is the first in at least the last 5 years that has got me really excited. I don't think Bioware will TRIBBLE up, they put so much into their games, they craft them lovingly. not churn them out.
    edited February 2010
    what STO getting lackluster reviews?

this thread is both new AND exciting!

seriously..we get it..

and before you think I'm a blind cryptic fanboy..I've canceled my account a couple weeks ago..so try again...

regardless these posts just to show how crappy reviews are coming in have gotten BEYOND old...even if I agree with the reviews
    edited February 2010
    i know a lot of ppl think mmorgp is full of **** but that guy did have a point about the lvl of content and everythign he said was true and to the point.
    edited February 2010
    I think this list of scores says everything you need to know about reviews on this site:

http://www.mmorpg.com/features.cfm/view/reviews/sort/score

Some pretty bizarre rankings.

I find it odd that the reviewer seemed to have any number of positive things to say and very few negatives and somehow that sorts out to a "Mediocre" rating.
    edited February 2010
    They have proved to be unreliable quite a few times. Some of their reviews have been more fiction than anything else. Some very obviously wrote and scored, because of a back hander. Money grabbers, basically. I could never recommend them for accurate reviews. Much better off getting them from elsewhere.
    edited February 2010
    UPDATE: right now there's a STO add on MMORPG.com. I guess any conspiracy theory that MMORPG.com gave it a mediocre score because STO isn't an advertiser are kinda torpedoed.
    edited February 2010
    This is more funny:

ok... Hellgate: London got:
    6.8 from IGN
    70 at metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...hellgatelondon (user score 6.2)
    3 stars from Gamespy
    7.0 from Gamespot
    1UP.com D+
    Bit-tech 7/10
    EGC Games 74/100
    Eurogamer 7/10
    GameDaily 7/10
    GamePro 60%
    GameTap 70%
    PC Gamer (US) 89/100
    PC Gamer (UK) 73%
    X-Play 2/5
    and this is a DEAD game now. It lasted 8 months.

STO got...
    6.8 from IGN
    2 stars from Gamespy (or a 44)
    65 from Metacritic http://www.metacritic.com/games/plat...startrekonline (6.2 out of 328)
    1up.com C+
    7/10 from Bittech
    cant find ECGgames
    Eurogamer 6/10
    gamedaily 0/10
    gamepro 0/10
    cant find the review section for gametap
    Gamespot: 55
    edited February 2010
    Tolliver wrote:
    lets face is it gets high marks from the casuals simplely cause they have no ideal what makes a great game and will settle for low quailty titles..these also tend to be the same ppl that settle for things in life as well such as hooking up with the ugo's and driving the beaters lol

That is extremely ignorant. There are many people like myself that were crazy hardcore back in EQ1 when hardcore really existed who have families and jobs now. We are casual gamers by a time investment dimension but are still min/maxers and seek to be efficient when we do play.

I think the only valid criticism that can be leveled against STO as a new MMO is lack of endgame content. However that is just a patience issue.
    edited February 2010
    Surprisingly few STO defenders talking about MMORPG.com being biased, not paid off, or whatever. Maybe later.

Why speak of what rational people know to be true..it's not EvE or WoW, Cryptic did not pay Stradden a TRIBBLE ton of money (living in a 4 mil home in Hawaii is expensive ya know) so the score is about what most folks predicted.
    edited February 2010
    SW:TOR I think will be showing Sci/Fi MMOers how it CAN be done if done with care and patience.

*gasp* Stop! Ribs hurting... side splitting....

Ok ok, I CAN stop laughing. Must stop laughing.

So then, let's re-cap. The je-di shall come forth from the mountain and lead the people from darkness. He shall part the seas, turn the water into soda, and transform the very sand into Hotpockets. That's what TOR is gonna do then, huh?

I feel sorry for Bioware. I really do.
    edited February 2010
    Battleunit wrote: »
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: 8.29
    (not when it came out, maybe now)

Dungeons and Dragons Online: 8.1
    (nice game, limited content)

Warhammer: 8.26
    (games with more PvP traditionally get a huge bump)

Age of Conan: 7.89

The main point is that quality of game rarely has anything to do with its review score in the entire MMO market segment. Plus, games that advertise with the site get an entire point boost in their reviews based on average score. Check the math.

Actually, the message is, look at how well 'those' games rated and how poorly they did. Now look at the rating he gave STO and make your guess at how long this game is going to last. If he thought those games were good, what does that say for this one?
    edited February 2010
    shadex wrote: »
    Actually, the message is, look at how well 'those' games rated and how poorly they did. Now look at the rating he gave STO and make your guess at how long this game is going to last. If he thought those games were good, what does that say for this one?

He learned his lesson? :p
    edited February 2010
    Dryan wrote:
    They have proved to be unreliable quite a few times. Some of their reviews have been more fiction than anything else. Some very obviously wrote and scored, because of a back hander. Money grabbers, basically. I could never recommend them for accurate reviews. Much better off getting them from elsewhere.

They pretty much say the same thing elsewhere too :p
    edited February 2010
    That is extremely ignorant. There are many people like myself that were crazy hardcore back in EQ1 when hardcore really existed who have families and jobs now. We are casual gamers by a time investment dimension but are still min/maxers and seek to be efficient when we do play.

I think the only valid criticism that can be leveled against STO as a new MMO is lack of endgame content. However that is just a patience issue.

I'd say that no persistent world would also be a faiirly valid criticism. I'm trying to figure out if there's truly anything is this world that is persistent beyond your gear.
    edited February 2010
    Casual gamers shouldn't be allowed to rate MMOs because they have no idea what makes a good game or not. They never delve into the mechanics or do anything that would justify anyone actually listening to their ratings. The idea that this game gets an 8 is beyond silly. It is ludicrous.

Maybe Cryptic was making this game for casuals. But God I feel like TRIBBLE these days because I'm hardcore. Every game that is coming out is becoming so dumb and easy a chimp could play it.

I also feel like TRIBBLE because it was gamers like me who built this genre. Now the only offerings we have are made by indie developers.

Enjoy your mediocrity casuals.
    edited February 2010
    AidenPryde wrote: »
    I also feel like TRIBBLE because it was gamers like me who built this genre. Now the only offerings we have are made by indie developers.QUOTE]

Face it you built nothing and are no better or worse than any other gamer.
    edited February 2010
    Battleunit wrote: »
    Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: 8.29
    (not when it came out, maybe now)

Dungeons and Dragons Online: 8.1
    (nice game, limited content)

Warhammer: 8.26
    (games with more PvP traditionally get a huge bump)

Age of Conan: 7.89

The main point is that quality of game rarely has anything to do with its review score in the entire MMO market segment. Plus, games that advertise with the site get an entire point boost in their reviews based on average score. Check the math.

Warhammer got an 8.26? Wow. Just goes to show that you can't take too much stock in reviews.
    edited February 2010
    I agree with the review.

I think Cryptic needs to do a lot to build on the game. However, they need funding to do that and it worries me when I see all of these sales and discounts on the main page. Makes me believe they are not selling enough games and subscriptions and are getting desperate. If sales are down, then there will be no funding avail to game enhancements.

Heck, I can't even give away that free Trial Key they gave me! None of my friends even want to be bothered to try the game!
    edited February 2010
    Judging on the game itself id say thats a pretty harsh score. I know theres a lot of things needed but 6.4 is pretty TRIBBLE. I mean considoring WoW expansions instantly get 10/10 just shows how biased most of the 'critic' sites are. I can honestly say as someone who enjoyed WoW at the start (I thought it was amazing by every means) I wouldn't have rated the first expac 10/10, probably 7/10 at the most.

Given that ive seen STO get 5.5 on other sites such as gamespot which is even worse and more harsh.

Again the game is missing a lot of stuff but I wouldnt take these scores literal. I dont see any less content in this game than AoC had on its launch and Gamespot gave AoC 8.5/10 or something very similar (possibly higher). Give it a few months and this game will be awesome so long as they keep working hard and push out a nice batch of content fast. We have all seen how well they do at pushing fixes out (best ive seen tbh) so with a spot of luck we will have a lot of content coming very soon. Hopefuly these new raidisodes will be awesome (i dont see why they wont be!).

In my opinion id give this game a 7/10. It has a LOT of potential that many other MMOs (with higher scores) have not.

I remain hopeful for STO either way.
    edited February 2010
    Reviews are based on the state of the game now and not what it's potential might be in the future. Giving STO a 6/10 at this point in its development is spot on.