test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Racism in STO

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Lately, more and more often, i notice increasing racism and racist remarks in the public zone channels.

It usually starts with someone speaking german in a public channel, which is then followed by a bunch of people yelling at them to speak english, which is then followed by funny remarks about how all germans are TRIBBLE and that we should stop speaking german in the game because people are afraid to get invaded and stuff like that.

First of all: The game was also published in germany and has a german publisher, meaning that germans can speak german anytime they want to, and there is nothing you can do about it.
Second: TRIBBLE comments about germans are not funny, they are racist. So in making those funny comments, you make yourself a racist yourself.
Third: comments about germans starting wars are not funny either.
Fourth: There is NO rule anywhere that we are forced to speak english. Most of us do speak english because we are polite enough to do so, but imagine that, there are still a few germans, especially YOUNGER germans, that dont even know HOW to speak english. How many foreign language does the avergage american or brit speak, btw?

So, dear cryptic GM's, i expect a hard ruling against any form of racism in the forums or in the games. This is YOUR game, and you are going to be held responsible for what is going on there. If you think racism is ok, then please let us know.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Your Pal, Indigofyre
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    QLanatir wrote:
    Lately, more and more often, i notice increasing racism and racist remarks in the public zone channels.

It usually starts with someone speaking german in a public channel, which is then followed by a bunch of people yelling at them to speak english, which is then followed by funny remarks about how all germans are TRIBBLE and that we should stop speaking german in the game because people are afraid to get invaded and stuff like that.

First of all: The game was also published in germany and has a german publisher, meaning that germans can speak german anytime they want to, and there is nothing you can do about it.
    Second: TRIBBLE comments about germans are not funny, they are racist. So in making those funny comments, you make yourself a racist yourself.
    Fourth: There is NO rule anywhere that we are forced to speak english. Most of us do speak english because we are polite enough to do so, but imagine that, there are still a few germans, especially YOUNGER germans, that dont even know HOW to speak english. How many foreign language does the avergage american or brit speak, btw?

So, dear cryptic GM's, i expect a hard ruling against any form of racism in the forums or in the games. This is YOUR game, and you are going to be held responsible for what is going on there. If you think racism is ok, then please let us know.

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Your Pal, Indigofyre

Technically, the Germans aren't a "race" of people, so it's not really racism. It's that sort of thinking that got you guys in trouble in the past... I'm just saying.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    Technically, the Germans aren't a "race" of people, so it's not really racism. It's that sort of thinking that got you guys in trouble in the past... I'm just saying.

Way to be mature about a perfectly legitmate complaint.

Sorry OP, some people in this community just have no respect for others. I was noticing a bit of distaste with some of the zone chat as well...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    It's simple report anything you feel needs to be reported and let the people in charge handle it.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Let's do the Sprockets dance.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Sorry OP, some people in this community just have no respect for others. I was noticing a bit of distaste with some of the zone chat as well...

I stand corrected. It is racism.

As a New Yorker, I'd like to take this moment to complain about the racism that a southerner was spouting about my people the other night.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    QLanatir wrote:

That sounds kind of discriminating......but looking at these comments it's no wonder why people give you a hard time. :confused:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    nationality

Thank you.

And I thought you were leaving us...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you see anyone making inappropriate comments about any race or nationality in game, please right click on the users name in chat, and select "Report Player" A GM will view their chat logs, and take the appropriate actions.

No one at Cryptic takes kindly to that behavior.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    QLanatir wrote:

First - Racism exists in video games, period. It is just how it is. Anonymity gives people the freedom to behave in ways they would otherwise think twice about.

Second - There is no German race, it is a nationality. Telling someone to speak English is not being racist. Is it being rude? Yes. But not racist.

Third - Speak how you wish to speak. If you want to speak in your native language, go ahead and do so. Ignore everyone else and be happy.

Fourth - Just as you don't like being insulted by being told to speak English, don't come here and insult people's intelligence that had no part in such interactions. It only make you part of the problem and not part of the solution. Just as you feel generalized by "TRIBBLE" comments, we don't like to be generalized in with a group of immature children.

Have a nice day. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

Exacly!

/10char
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Whatever you do, don't mention the war! I did once, but I think I got away with it!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:
    I stand corrected. It is racism.

Well actually it is depending on whose definition you go by. Is it a race no, is it racism quite possibly.

the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.

U.N. definition.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    good point, but giving Germans TRIBBLE is not racisim if it was you could sue the BBC into a hole in the ground for half of their comedy shows

<german tourist> "will you please stop talking about the war!
    <Basil Fawlty> Well you started it
    <German Tourist> No I didn't
    <Basil Fawlty> Yes you did, you invaded Poland!

seriously, you need to tough it up, as you can see we Americans get TRIBBLE for our wars (you just gave us some) and I certainly dont consider it racist AS WE ARE BOTH WHITE!!!

yeah, history sucks, as does the actions of some of our ancestors, I can't say I'm proud of slavery or segrigation, both crimes of my country, but I dont yell racist when someone brings it up in either a humorous or mean context.

much as Germany would like to totally forget the war ever happened, the fact it it did, and you will hear about it for a long time to come, no matter how much of the national discussion is regulated and banned
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    NinetyNine wrote:

Considering the legitimacy of the OP's concern, you really did a good job to make yourself look like a (for the lack of a better term) punk. Seriously, the dude has good reason to be concerned, and seriously; how does your technicality make it any better?

People don't need/want to be lectured over trivial stuff. Prejudice is prejudice . . . racism is a type of Prejudice. Prejudice of any kind in any social environment should be met with a swift hammer; and in the case of Star Trek Online, that had better be a Ban Hammer.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Them wmd's? yup we found 'em in some oil barrels. gotta find the rest of 'em.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Yea that guy tends to call everyone out in most threads, ignore him.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    StormShade wrote:
    If you see anyone making inappropriate comments about any race or nationality in game, please right click on the users name in chat, and select "Report Player" A GM will view their chat logs, and take the appropriate actions.

No one at Cryptic takes kindly to that behavior.

Thanks,

Stormshade

I agree with the OP, there should be a "hard ruling" on these racist players and we should start with the OP himself.

Consider this my official Report Player of QLanatir. I am offended with his derogatory statements toward the American people. Please take the appropriate actions.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    So would you consider chatting about Hogans Heroes TV show racist? I love Schultzy and Klink.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    If you speak German on the chat, how do we know that you don't offend us in your language?

Also we speak many languages and English is just one of them, I for example speak fluently in 3, understand 2 and I had German somewhere down the road but I've forgotten almost everything since I don't use it.

Also Germans aren't a race, they are a nation.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Well i'm a brit ;>
    I dont see the point of learning any other language to be quite frank, only if im going on holiday granted thats only fair. But the english language is world wide hell even aliens prolly bloody speak it lol.

I dont agree with the racism in the chat channels however, but it would be nice to have mixed servers for language or it just gets confusing. or even other channels for foreign languages. :D

I'm bracing for the flmes now as im a brit lol
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I'm an American, and I agree you should be able to speak your language whenever and wherever you like. (Ich kann auch ein bisschen Deutsch, und freue mich drauf). Some people are just ignorant and stupid I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    swag-nyc wrote: »
    good point, but giving Germans TRIBBLE is not racisim if it was you could sue the BBC into a hole in the ground for half of their comedy shows

<german tourist> "will you please stop talking about the war!
    <Basil Fawlty> Well you started it
    <German Tourist> No I didn't
    <Basil Fawlty> Yes you did, you invaded Poland!

seriously, you need to tough it up, as you can see we Americans get TRIBBLE for our wars (you just gave us some) and I certainly dont consider it racist AS WE ARE BOTH WHITE!!!

yeah, history sucks, as does the actions of some of our ancestors, I can't say I'm proud of slavery or segrigation, both crimes of my country, but I dont yell racist when someone brings it up in either a humorous or mean context.

Umm No. Nobody needs to "tough it up". racism is wrong. Plain and simple. The rules of this game say, if youa re caught being racist, you will be banned. If you want to be racist, go out in the real world and be racist. See what happens.
    Agreeing with Racism makes you as bad, if not worse, than the people saying racist remarks.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Seadgir
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    There are too many isms in here.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tim_ploe wrote:
    All this post is was a excuse for some Eurotrash to slam American's and Brtis. Anyone notice that he trying to whine about people picking on his little German self, and then goes on to insult Brits and Americas in trying to make his point. Kinda odd huh?

Can someone ban this guy? every time he opens his mouth he talks nonsense.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    but hey Storm shade, action is good, but dont forget what racisim actually is, and its not coddling the German notion that the war should never be spoken of!
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    xDarkaix wrote: »
    Yea that guy tends to call everyone out in most threads, ignore him.

Are you still bitter about the skittles nonsense?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Meh, I turned off zone chat. Amazingly enough ...........it works.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    This is going to open a whole can of worms and I think Cryptic needs to address it ASAP. People speaking other languages on game chat and in the forums might be swearing or breaking rules and how is someone not fluent in that language supposed to know.

It's really not fair to everyone.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tim_ploe wrote:
    All this post is was a excuse for some Eurotrash to slam American's and Brtis. Anyone notice that he trying to whine about people picking on his little German self, and then goes on to insult Brits and Americas in trying to make his point. Kinda odd huh?

What he writes is up to him. Whether he insults someone the same way he has been insulted, doesn't make either side right in doing it.
This discussion has been closed.