What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

ATI - no anti-alias at all?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2010
    I didnt read all the post tbh but just like to say that AAA and AA work for me forced using ATI tray tools and I have a ATI 5770 1gb.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Loxanna wrote:
    I didnt read all the post tbh but just like to say that AAA and AA work for me forced using ATI tray tools and I have a ATI 5770 1gb.

What driver version are you using?

Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Kalibas wrote: »
    What driver version are you using?

Thanks.

yeha I just installed ati tray tools and tried it forcing it with that makes no difference nice waste of time -.-
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just be patience and wait. Its not like its going to give you a different type of game to play...
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    devilrage wrote:
    Just be patience and wait. Its not like its going to give you a different type of game to play...

8xAA makes a huge difference to how a game can look and feel for me, honestly if they don't have AA working by the head-start i'm going to be disappointed :(
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I'm sure ATI is working on the issue with their drivers. The Catalyst 10.1's have been held back for a reason after all. I tried the beta 2's of the 10.1's and there's still issues. Once the 10.1's are out in their final stage, I'm sure the issue(s) will be fixed.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    EDIT 2: New patch = YAY! .. AA fixed perfectly. Looks awesome now!! .. weeee thanks
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    jardel wrote:
    EDIT 2: New patch = YAY! .. AA fixed perfectly. Looks awesome now!! .. weeee thanks

Great, where are the ones now yelling at us "ATI HAS TO FIX IT, NOT CRYPTIC"
    well.. I hope they feel ashamed.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I have to say, I tried turning on AA (one of the first things I checked) and it looks HORRIBLE. It actually makes all the edges even more jagged. I already bugged it, interested to hear the response, but I turned it back off because the drop in graphics quality when I turned it on was so drastically bad.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    martothir wrote: »
    I have to say, I tried turning on AA (one of the first things I checked) and it looks HORRIBLE. It actually makes all the edges even more jagged. I already bugged it, interested to hear the response, but I turned it back off because the drop in graphics quality when I turned it on was so drastically bad.

Are you sure you did not enabled the double pixle option? I have yet to test it out, still trapped at work.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, new patch enabled the FSAA option for ATI/AMD cards, works perfectly and looks VERY VERY nice. All other bugs like shadow flickering are no more present, too, just looks like a completely different game! Great work Cryptic!

I stated "it's Cryptic task not AMD/ATI task" in the past days and it's good to see that they (Cryptic) have taken on this issue and didn't put it into the "not our fault"-bench. Have to play now, that's pure eyecandy now.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Yeah, new patch enabled the FSAA option for ATI/AMD cards, works perfectly and looks VERY VERY nice. All other bugs like shadow flickering are no more present, too, just looks like a completely different game! Great work Cryptic!

I stated "it's Cryptic task not AMD/ATI task" in the past days and it's good to see that they (Cryptic) have taken on this issue and didn't put it into the "not our fault"-bench. Have to play now, that's pure eyecandy now.

Want to see it NAU :) Screenshot please? :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here it is. It looks better in reality, used the Win7 integrated Snipping tool and STO window mode, costs a lot of quality (always use fullscreen for full qual).

Sorry for size, used TIF not to loss more qual due to jpg ;)

No FSAA
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2599/stonoaa.png

4xFSAA
    http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/8915/stoaa.png

And here is how the new scanning options with direction indictator for the next anomaly looks (its a 3 second anim indeed, just captured the final stage ;))

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9248/scanu.png
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    It's like a new game for me with AA enabled. Loving it.

My biggest gripe with the look of the game was the sense of scale. The ships just seemed small.... Now that the HORRIBLE jagged edges are gone, it looks so good!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Here it is. It looks better in reality, used the Win7 integrated Snipping tool and STO window mode, costs a lot of quality (always use fullscreen for full qual).

Sorry for size, used TIF not to loss more qual due to jpg ;)

No FSAA
    http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2599/stonoaa.png

4xFSAA

And here is how the new scanning options with direction indictator for the next anomaly looks (its a 3 second anim indeed, just captured the final stage ;))

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/9248/scanu.png

Thanks mate! wow looks smooth. Also loving the scan effect. Niceley done cryptic. Can not wait to get home.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    derFeef wrote: »
    Are you sure you did not enabled the double pixle option? I have yet to test it out, still trapped at work.

Logged in to figure out what you were talking about, and I don't even see a double pixle option. Where can it be found? There is definitely not a double pixle option under the video settings!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    well I get DC'd every 5-10min but what Ive seen the AA made a world of dif. Thx for fixing
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    ATi Radion HD 5750 ... working perfect, and set to 8X AA after last patch no other issues as of right now :) Just a reminder to all with this card make sure to set you card to allow programs to override card settings for AA .. other than that ... Warp Speed........
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    my father has a windows 7 64-bit box with crossfired 5750's and cant go more than 5 minutes on a ground mission without a CTD, space doesnt seem to have an issue. this is with the latest patch for STO and 9.12 catalyst drivers. the CTD's happen with AA on or off, with crossfire on or off.

Edit: after turning off dynamic lighting, crashes and slowdowns totally disappeared.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Set "Dynamic Lightning" to "off". If this helps, please create a bug report (in game, right from the upper right mini map there is a question mark icon, hit this and there you find "report bug") that states that dyn lightning causes problems. I still insist that the problems derive from a too close NVidia coding (i have a 8800GTS 640 and a 4870, so i am no fanboy of either company), as the Nvidia chips have some hard DirectX flaws and therefore they launched the "Way it is meant to be played" campaign...."helps" companies to get it "right" on a "wrong" card......but causing "wrongs" on a "right" card ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://yfrog.com/08screenshot2010012120022j

That is what anti aliasing is doing to my game. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Card, driver version, settings in CP and in game?!

Mine looks like that:
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    http://yfrog.com/08screenshot2010012120022j

That is what anti aliasing is doing to my game. Anyone have any suggestions?

That looks like your card is massively overheating. OR you have corrupt texture files on your game. Try redownloading it and see if it works.

That is NOT an AA issue at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Just wanted to drop back by this thread to gloat. Where are all you whiney *****es that said a major game studio couldnt enable AA on ATI cards now? You know who you are.

PS, the improvement in pq with this patch blew me away. there had to have been much more to it than just enabling AA. looks like a completely different game now, not to mention the UI polish.

4870X2 running 9.12 hotfix
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    I think the last patch made the game look much better on my 4870 at home.

But it made the game worse (both visually and performance-wise) on my Nvidia 9600 GSO card at work

:confused:

Of course, I mostly play at home so I'm not too bothered!
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    tedgp123 wrote: »
    That looks like your card is massively overheating. OR you have corrupt texture files on your game. Try redownloading it and see if it works.

That is NOT an AA issue at all.

See, my card is NOT overheating. I have internal sensors, and I'm not getting above 30 degrees Celcius MAX, usually closer to 24 or 25 degrees. And furthermore, when I turned AA off, it looks like this:

http://yfrog.com/elscreenshot2010012210531j

But once again, when I turned 8x AA on in the exact same location, it ends up looking like this:

http://yfrog.com/j7screenshot2010012210533j

So would corrupt texture files look just fine with no AA and messed up with AA? I'm not trying to be a smart TRIBBLE, I genuinely don't know. While I'm pretty good with computers, I don't have any formal training. So if anyone out there has any suggestions, I'm interested in hearing them. :)

EDIT:

I run an ATI Radeon 5870

Driver Packaging Version 8.66-090918a-089150C-Dell
    Provider ATI Technologies Inc.
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.961
    2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0700
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9017
    Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.0918.2132.36825
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Crash317 wrote: »
    Just wanted to drop back by this thread to gloat. Where are all you whiney *****es that said a major game studio couldnt enable AA on ATI cards now? You know who you are.

PS, the improvement in pq with this patch blew me away. there had to have been much more to it than just enabling AA. looks like a completely different game now, not to mention the UI polish.

4870X2 running 9.12 hotfix

http://rapidshare.com/files/339395031/star_trek_pic.jpg

Nice pic with everything on max.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    devilrage wrote:

It is so pretty :)

Can't wait until my new computer arrives, hope it looks like that. :D
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    So would corrupt texture files look just fine with no AA and messed up with AA? I'm not trying to be a smart TRIBBLE, I genuinely don't know. While I'm pretty good with computers, I don't have any formal training. So if anyone out there has any suggestions, I'm interested in hearing them. :)

EDIT:

I run an ATI Radeon 5870

Driver Packaging Version 8.66-090918a-089150C-Dell
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.961
    2D Driver File Path /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0000
    Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0700
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9017
    Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.0918.2132.36825

Well, that's certainly a unique kind of artifacting. One of the things that I've found with Cryptic's engine (and probably other games, too), is that ATI's additional features like Catalyst A.I. and Adaptive Anti-Aliasing can really interfere with the image quality. With Champions Online, I learned that it's best to turn all of those features off and let the in-game engine handle all of the pretty image processing.

Here are my settings:

Anti-Aliasing: Use application settings
    Anisotropic Filtering: Use application settings
    Catalyst A.I.: Disbled (i.e., the Disable Catalyst A.I. box is checked)
    Mipmap Detail Level: Quality
    Wait for vertical refresh: Always Off (though I think a game can override that)
    Adaptive Anti-Aliasing: Disabled (i.e., the Enable Adaptive Anti-Aliasing box is UNchecked)
    OpenGL Settings, Triple buffering: UNchecked

The other thing is that it appears you're running an older driver. I don't know if it's because you're on a 5000-series card, but I'm running the drivers from December 2009:

Driver Packaging Version 8.681-091124a-092499C-ATI
    Catalyst™ Version 09.12
    2D Driver Version 8.01.01.984
    Direct3D Version 8.14.10.0716
    OpenGL Version 6.14.10.9232
    Catalyst™ Control Center Version 2009.1124.2131.38610

I'm almost willing to bet that upgrading your drivers AND turning off the extraneous ATI features will fix it.
    Otherwise, you may actually have something physically wrong with the card.

Top things that could break physically:
    - Improperly seated. Remove the card and plug it back in firmly, verifying that the bottom edge of the card is even with the slot and there is no vertical give when you press down on it.
    - Power supply connector. For that matter, make sure you've got a beefy power supply to begin with. I'm not sure on the specs for the 5000-series, but for the 4000-series, they recommend a minimum of 500W.
    - Fan failure. Though gauging from your posted temps, that may not be the issue.
    - Bad card. Looking at the noise you're getting, I'm wondering if it could be just a bad card with a faulty texture processor. Does this happen in other games?

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited January 2010
    Hey Moxie, thanks for the reply! I just adjusted those options as recommended in the catalyst AI control center, and I'll check it soon. Would check it right this second, but the shard just went down.

To answer your question, this doesn't happen with any other game I have, so I don't *think* its a particular card issue or even necessarily a seating issue.

I'm going to try those things first, and perhaps upgrade drivers. Thanks for the advice. :) I really appreciated straightforward help like that.