Install Arc
Options

Server Problems

2»

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    <big list of things to check>

I've always enjoyed your common sense lists of things to be aware of when dealing with various issues. Will add a few more from the perspective of someone who usually plays STO on a laptop these days...
    • My non-gaming discrete graphics laptop can throttle heavily. Keeping it on a firm surface helps with cooling.
    • How is your power cord and/or power input jack? A worn power cord or bad connection can induce significant throttling.
    • Consider a re-paste after > 3 or so years of regular game play. Gaming works things pretty hard and this can help.
  • Options
    mephizton2092mephizton2092 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Have this issue now for 2 years. After an halloween update it started.Yes more people have this. No issues with other games (online), have a new router, and my provider has probally only issues with Star Trek Online. No other game or service. Offcourse its easy to tell players it is not serverwide, or when im not affected its not an issue, or simple it tips and tricks which are all done and not affecting the disconnections. And it is funny, I had no lagg or much last few months and other players had, so to be like an offical: there is no lagg, not all are affected.

It affects transporting between maps. Questing is pointless if you have ground missions. TFO joining often causes a disconnect when transfering to it. Even sometimes now when leaving the map (space to space).
    Often a red alert event makes it worse. It is not just that this is a crowded game, so nop the numbers arent the isse, and as LTSI have some stable guarantee. Which is not noticable.

Cute how people say it is not affecting them:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1271570/map-transfers-to-tfs-server-time-out
    https://account.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1270340/is-it-just-me-or-are-map-transfers-painful

Than again who needs to quest or play? Dailly event is enough for metrics
    "Reports of our depression are vastly exaggerated."
    "Anyaway, we don't often see a sense of humor in Section 31."
  • Options
    startrek414347#9616 startrek414347 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Now I find the server ain't workin' for me at all. I'll be back on the program once the server is workin' properly & its problems are permanently fixed.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Now I find the server ain't workin' for me at all. I'll be back on the program once the server is workin' properly & its problems are permanently fixed.

I hate to say it but you might be waiting a long time because MMOs are always evolving, and thus there will always be something that isn't playing nice with something else. Not only that, where one person may be experiencing connection issues, another may not, so you cannot say for certain that it is the server itself that is the problem. It could be any number of things between you and the server. There is no such thing as a bug free MMO because of the nature of MMOs and patches.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User

The servers are fine, it's something in between you and the servers.

• Options
    rocketman33#0665 rocketman33 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    "Server problem" may not be the best term to use, although servers do have problems that come & go. Cryptic (or whoever) can claim for example that all the map disconnects are not their servers or code = plausible deniability. My Tech Support and two engineers from my ISP found that there's a huge problem with one of the packet delivery services to the Arc servers, like 100% drops in my case.
    It boils down to who is responsible for selecting or using this middleman for packet delivery -- the customers, their ISP's or the game provider. I already know the answer, and it's not always the customer's PC's or ISP's!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Rocket, unless you live near Boston, there are a lot of so-called "middlemen" in the mix. When the big slowdown happened a couple of years back, that was the node belonging to Cryptic's ISP, over in MA. There have been other localized or intermittent slowdowns, caused usually by problems with one of the other nodes along the way. (One way to check for that is to try disconnecting and reconnecting - that will sometimes cause the pathing to go via a different node, bypassing the trouble spot.) Point is, there are generally more nodes involved than your ISP and Cryptic's. "Server issues" is occasionally a correct diagnosis, but if it's not a widespread problem it's probably not correct.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 22
    To anyone on PS4/5, there are general PSN problems today not STO problems.
This discussion has been closed.