test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Al Rivera(STO's first developer/employee) has left Cryptic Studios after 20 years

thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
edited February 15 in Ten Forward

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Not sorry to see him go myself. YMMV.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,328 Community Moderator
    thread /moved
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Not sorry to see him go myself. YMMV.

I, too, will shed no tears. I just hope his replacement is a step up.

Maybe the replacement will see the Exploration opportunity in this game that is hiding in plain sight.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited February 16
    Jesse Heinig was recently promoted up to lead content designer. Not sure if anyone's filling the "creative director" role at STO, but I would think it would just fold into Paul (writer) and/or Jesse's and/or Thomas's wheelhouse.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    The investment company shenanigans triggered an unnecessary upset across the games industry. However, even without such shenanigans change can be good for a development team. I didn't always agree with Rivera's design decisions. But he did lead the team over many years toward many successes being implemented. Not all of us player's can be pleased all of the time.

I hope professional change for Al Rivera is good for him. And I hope that change is good for Star Trek Online.

That said, this change started months ago for the company. Now if player's of Cryptic Studio games can get more direct press and Executive Producer livestreams to address the elephant in the room? That would be refreshing. Visibility of leadership in game companies is a thing. Even if streaming isn't their thing personally, IMO, it's part of the job in this current age. Step up to it.

I'm tired of Ambassador Kael having to push through STO livestreams with one (or both) hands tied behind his back. Because, apparently, he can't talk about much of anything unless it's game mechanic or near release (the week of usually) content. Community management for ALL of Cryptic Studios games? People wonder why the man gets testy? His critics need to save some of those shoes to throw toward others. It's past time for the executives of Cryptic Studios to step it up. WHO runs the company these days? WHO are the Executive Producers for each game from the studio? This used to be much more common knowledge to excited player's. Some of us know. Most of us don't. We should hear from them every business quarter. Quit evading conversation with their player base. Make themselves available to participate and respond to player's direct questions.

It's set a bad tone and this perception won't improve until they do.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    The investment company shenanigans triggered an unnecessary upset across the games industry. However, even without such shenanigans change can be good for a development team. I didn't always agree with Rivera's design decisions. But he did lead the team over many years toward many successes being implemented. Not all of us player's can be pleased all of the time.

I hope professional change for Al Rivera is good for him. And I hope that change is good for Star Trek Online.

That said, this change started months ago for the company. Now if player's of Cryptic Studio games can get more direct press and Executive Producer livestreams to address the elephant in the room? That would be refreshing. Visibility of leadership in game companies is a thing. Even if streaming isn't their thing personally, IMO, it's part of the job in this current age. Step up to it.

I'm tired of Ambassador Kael having to push through STO livestreams with one (or both) hands tied behind his back. Because, apparently, he can't talk about much of anything unless it's game mechanic or near release (the week of usually) content. Community management for ALL of Cryptic Studios games? People wonder why the man gets testy? His critics need to save some of those shoes to throw toward others. It's past time for the executives of Cryptic Studios to step it up. WHO runs the company these days? WHO are the Executive Producers for each game from the studio? This used to be much more common knowledge to excited player's. Some of us know. Most of us don't. We should hear from them every business quarter. Quit evading conversation with their player base. Make themselves available to participate and respond to player's direct questions.

It's set a bad tone and this perception won't improve until they do.

The main reason this game has survived is because Trek fans are (perhaps even to the point of irrationality, ironically) very attached to the franchise on an emotional level.

That is not to say that the team has done a bad job or anything - I'm just saying they have a well known name and a loyal fanbase to build on. That has certainly helped keeping the game afloat.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    With that being said, I do believe we are close to the game's end - at least the moment when active development ceases is clearly approaching.

There are just too many signs to ignore this and keep pretending otherwise. Even if we're not very rapidly approaching STO's end, we're clearly already in the process of its demise. I wish I were wrong, but I'm not going to fool myself with those wishes.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Lets not go into doomsaying in any way guys.
    From what I've heard Thomas is still with STO, he's just looking around. Doesn't mean he's absolutely going to leave. So lets just be patient and see what happens.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Yeah. I didn't take away from the Reddit conversation that the game is being sunset anytime in the near future.

My primary complaint above was lack of communication above the Community Manager position. And I'm pleased the player's are now getting something over nothing. During a delicate - and somewhat tedious - transition.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    From what I've heard Thomas is still with STO, he's just looking around. Doesn't mean he's absolutely going to leave. So lets just be patient and see what happens.

He hasn't left yet, no. But he most likely has his reasons for reconsidering his future at STO.

Recognising that and everything else that's happened isn't 'doomsaying', it's facing the facts. Which are piling up, note that (besides other devs) JamJamz had already been layed off as well.

When even the ship design team - the people responsible for the thing that brings in most of STO's revenue - is thinning out, things are bad.

• Options
    We are at the point where it's getting hard to say that it's just an opinion that things are bad. Cause only irrational denialism of what's happening in front of one's eyes can lead to a different conviction at this point.

Everyone has of course the right to their own opinions and determine their own state of mind, but I doubt the facts can be interpreted any other way:

Absent some radical intervention and a complete turnabout of the current situation, we'll remain on the path that is leading us to STO's end as we currently know it.

Feel free to disagree though, but please don't cling to desperate hope too much. It'll only make things harder. We all share our passion for this game and I'd hate to see any of you experiencing total shock when the final announcement is made.

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    It is almost a tradition in the software industry to distrust and dislike dancing the corporate-subsidiary-shuffle, so many people in it tend to look around as a CYA precaution while it is happening. And for the more highly skilled people it also works to strengthen the person's bargaining position a bit in case the company tries to renegotiate salaries under the "new" ownership as a cost-saving measure.

At this point the best thing is to take a wait-and-see attitude instead of panicking and assuming the worst.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 7
    We're still *likely* to lose more folks in the process, but a takeaway here is that DECA was primed to step in and save STO. Had the publisher not been available, I don't think Gearbox would have been keen on retaining Cryptic after all its other games were canceled. It's bringing in money, but long term that's going to be a diminishing pipeline with another round of reinvigoration cut short. So under the status quo we're either looking at 1) Cryptic getting closed down late last year or 2) slow peeling off and death as Cryptic could no longer reasonably provide job security for folks long term (via moving onto new games) and how long it goes is a pure function of entropy and inertia around STO/NW.

The focus is going to be on what DECA does here but the fact we're looking at a new team with stated invigoration, aligned structurally with the aspirations of DECA to grow, is far from the worst case scenario. If it goes well, STO and NW could have longer lifespans than they might have had under Cryptic (newbies fighting to prove themselves finding new paths that the status quo likely wouldn't). But at the very least it probably bought the games a little more time compared to the worst Embracer could have done.

Overall its a messy situation with any change weighted against the limited options Embracer/the industry provided, and the somewhat decoupled interests of players and STO developers. STO will continue, but the story telling platform the team had is being taken away from them by rough circumstance. They've put so much into the game for so long. The community's been there with the Foundry sunset, with a creative platform for some being lost even as the game continues in a new normal. So even as we push for the game's survival, and potential reinvigoration, there's massive sympathy to throw at the team and the tough choices they're being forced to make re. new development structures and a new company.

All food for thought in community interactions. A balance is needed between mourning an era, helping to build a better future for STO/NW/Champs in eventually interacting with a new set of devs (while some may remain, we're absolutely going to hear from new folks), exhibiting patience with transition issues, while offering emotional support and appreciation the existing devs, and reserving ire for those that really caused this to happen (eg. Embracer, rather than DECA as yet). It's a community test for being human.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User

He hasn't left yet, no. But he most likely has his reasons for reconsidering his future at STO.
    That reason quite probably being that DECA is headquartered in Europe (Germany, as I recall), and they didn't just purchase the right to publish Cryptic's properties, they purchased Cryptic. Meaning that they're going to directly take over development (Phil did mention that they're building a dev team locally), and Thomas likely doesn't want to start work at 8am in UTC+1 (11pm Pacific), nor to move to Germany. (And frankly, if I were seriously dating Catrina Dennis, I wouldn't want to move away either!)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »

That reason quite probably being that DECA is headquartered in Europe (Germany, as I recall), and they didn't just purchase the right to publish Cryptic's properties, they purchased Cryptic. Meaning that they're going to directly take over development (Phil did mention that they're building a dev team locally), and Thomas likely doesn't want to start work at 8am in UTC+1 (11pm Pacific), nor to move to Germany. (And frankly, if I were seriously dating Catrina Dennis, I wouldn't want to move away either!)
    My understanding is DECA didn't purchase Cryptic. They are having 3 of Cryptic games transferred over to them leaving Cryptic to remain without those 3 games. Which in turn will likely lead to Cryptic being sold to someone else or shutdown. Cryptic and STO are separate things, DECA have STO not Cryptic.
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »

My understanding is DECA didn't purchase Cryptic. They are having 3 of Cryptic games transferred over to them leaving Cryptic to remain without those 3 games.
    A distinction without a difference, as those three games are the entirety of Cryptic's current output. Unless you think they're somehow going to get CoH back from whoever owns the rights currently, Cryptic is now DECA.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »

My understanding is DECA didn't purchase Cryptic. They are having 3 of Cryptic games transferred over to them leaving Cryptic to remain without those 3 games.
    A distinction without a difference, as those three games are the entirety of Cryptic's current output. Unless you think they're somehow going to get CoH back from whoever owns the rights currently, Cryptic is now DECA.
    There are important differences if I am understanding this correctly. DECA did not purchase STO or Cryptic. None of Cryptic buildings, people, assets, overall systems or anything outside of the 3 games belonging to Cryptic are being transferred to DECA. This could even include the game severs and infrastructure with a very real possibility they will be transferred into the EU or UK or kept in the US but changed.

It matters as its not just a case of the devs don’t want to work in a different time zone. The STO team are not being automatically transferred as they work at Cryptic which is not being transferred to DECA.

The STO team are staying with Cryptic. People are leaving not because they don’t want to work in a different time zone. They are leaving because they can see what is likely going to happen which is Cryptic is going be sold or shutdown.
    It matters as we are going to have an entirely new team. As in a completely different set of people running the game.
    I don’t feel its right to say DECA is now Cryptic. When Cryptic is still running as a separate studio with the same staff. (at least for now)

It feels like some people are under the impression this is just DECA taking over with a many of the same STO team still running the game. That is not what is happening. This isn't like the move from when Cryptic left the last people and joined Embracer. Its nothing like that.

Overall I am hopeful and feel positive about the change but I expect the next year+ is going vey bumpy and then over time it will get better then what he have now.

• Options
    Everyone at Cryptic was apparently offered the opportunity to work for DECA. But given the fact that the pay is higher in the US and they already live here, why would they take the company up on that? Similar in a way to when the customer-service company I worked for moved their offices from Auburn, WA, to Ciudad Juarez, in Mexico (don't know the name of the state, but it's across the Rio Grande from TX). They offered everyone the opportunity to keep their jobs by moving to Ciudad Juarez - but why would we?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png