Install Arc
Options

Massive Lag issues back?

13»

Comments

• Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    My playtime tends to be between 7pm and 9pm GMT (11am to 1pm Pacific). And several people have been complaining that the issue is constant, and denying the experience of anyone who says otherwise.

Is it possible that those times are simply busy times on your local networks? I have no idea which time zone you're working from, of course. (And if you're basing this on zone chat, remember that the only people complaining are those who are in fact experiencing lag; everyone else is busy flying their pretend spaceships or firing their little zap-guns. So this may not be a representative sample.)
    Its 100% not a busy time on my local network. While I agree the lag is not 100% constant, I am 90% sure its server lag. A lot of people are unware of what lag is and either don't spot it or don't know its lag. But that doesn't mean there is no lag.

What I do know is based on my team mates, live streamers and other sources the lag is real and appears to be server side. With the lag simultaneously appearing for everyone at the same time then clearing up for everyone at the same time.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    My playtime tends to be between 7pm and 9pm GMT (11am to 1pm Pacific). And several people have been complaining that the issue is constant, and denying the experience of anyone who says otherwise.

Is it possible that those times are simply busy times on your local networks? I have no idea which time zone you're working from, of course. (And if you're basing this on zone chat, remember that the only people complaining are those who are in fact experiencing lag; everyone else is busy flying their pretend spaceships or firing their little zap-guns. So this may not be a representative sample.)
    Its 100% not a busy time on my local network. While I agree the lag is not 100% constant, I am 90% sure its server lag. A lot of people are unware of what lag is and either don't spot it or don't know its lag. But that doesn't mean there is no lag.

What I do know is based on my team mates, live streamers and other sources the lag is real and appears to be server side. With the lag simultaneously appearing for everyone at the same time then clearing up for everyone at the same time.
    Not everyone. Unless I'm not part of "everyone".
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    pottsey5g wrote: »

Not everyone. Unless I'm not part of "everyone".
    Everyone as in everyone who is online when the lag wave hits. Take the live streamers just before that server restart everyone following the livestreams in game was hit by lag at the same time and it cleared up for everyone at the same time. Not once but multiple times and for different groups of streamers. Same for the devs 10 forward streams they have been hit by lag on the livestream and all the people watching the stream and in game are saying they have lag as well.

Same for when I am in a group we often all get hit simultaneously and it clears simultaneously for us all. This happens time and time again even though we are all from different places around the world.

If you are not experiencing any lag what so ever, perhaps you are either not online when the lag hits or this is like the past few times we had server lag and you said you never experienced it and you don't think its server lag only it turned out it was server lag. Perhaps you have lag and are just not noticing it?

You might not be experiencing it but the lag is there and it is widespread. Another possibility is you are just not in the zones/areas that are suffering from lag. As you know server lag can be in one area of the game and not another area. I can run x3 Peril Over Pahvo in a row lag free then do an ISE and it turns into a lag fest slideshow for 20seconds for the entire team.

The one thing I do agree with is the people saying they have constant 100% lag are more likely looking at a localized problem or a problem between the server and themselves, things like a weak local wi-fi signal. The lag is not always there and is not consistent. I can run a perfectly smooth ISE then the next ISE will be a lag mess for the entire team then back to smooth for the entre team again. Anyone who has 100% lag problems should if possible try to rule out localized problems.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Somehow, I'm never online when it hits, despite playing during that precise time when you say it hits "everyone"?

I dunno, man, between this and a couple other threads I'm starting to think that maybe some folks just like complaining about Cryptic and don't really care whether anyone else in fact shares their issues.

And when it was an issue on their end, yes I did experience it. Mentioned it at the time. Ran a tracert, like so many others did at the time, and helped to figure out what the issue was. I'm just not seeing the issue that I have been repeatedly assured is happening to everyone, everywhere, constantly. I chimed in because it seemed to be that perhaps the idea that it was constant and widespread came from nobody ever going into those threads and pointing out that it isn't. I suppose that was a fool's errand.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,986 Arc User
    I'm just not seeing the issue that I have been repeatedly assured is happening to everyone, everywhere, constantly.

Here's the way in which I've interpreted the last few posts...

The lag can clear up for "everyone" at the same time.

It can happen to players who are geographically located "everywhere".

It's not happening "constantly" but is episodic.

This matches my experience over time. There are other times though that when playing an event map that there's so little going on with respect to game play that perhaps I'm just not seeing (or noticing) the issue.
  • Options
    “And when it was an issue on their end, yes I did experience it.”
    That’s not how I remember it, see Risa comment below. In this case it was an issue on the server end and you denied it was real just like are you doing in this thread and others.

Somehow, I'm never online when it hits, despite playing during that precise time when you say it hits "everyone"?
    This reminds me of the Risa lag thread from years back. We had the broken Risa zones with widespread lag across all zones with many zones being unplayable and the playable ones had high levels of lag due to a misconfiguration. But somehow you never experienced it.

You spent the thread arguing with me there was no lag and no problem with server-based lag. I think you even did the same as this thread blaming the players. Despite the fact it was 100% server-based lag and widespread effecting all Rise zones.

“M'm just not seeing the issue that I have been repeatedly assured is happening to everyone, everywhere, constantly.”
    That is not what we are saying. I am not saying it’s happening to everyone, everywhere constantly. It is not constantly happening and it is not happening everywhere.

When I said everyone, I didn’t mean everyone as in 100% of the player base 100% of the time in 100% of areas. I meant everyone in that situation. Everyone in the team, everyone in the zone or TFO, everyone taking part in the live stream. That’s how we know its server-based lag, real and widespread.

I agree with you if someone is experiencing lag everywhere all the time and constantly. Then its very likely that is not server based lag but something local. What ever the currently problem is, its not consistent and perhaps not even caused by 1 single thing.

“I chimed in because it seemed to be that perhaps the idea that it was constant and widespread came from nobody ever going into those threads and pointing out that it isn't. I suppose that was a fool's errand.”
    It’s a fools errand because it’s not correct. The lag has been demonstrated and proven to be real and wide spread. The devs did a live stream with I believe it was 1000’s of players following in game. They all experienced the lag together with the devs. No matter where they are based in the world. The lag suddenly came in a wave effecting them all simultaneously.

I can name at least 3 player live streamers more if I look up some names who have done live streams recently with their followers following in game, experiencing lag alongside the live streamers. Then I have my own experience where everyone in the same zone and same team is experiencing the same lag as myself.

Ok you might not be experiencing lag or perhaps not noticing it. But I don’t see how you can say its not widespread when it’s been demonstrated as wide spread across multiple live streams both from the official dev streams and player streams. These are not local problems.

Its certainly fair to point out the lag is not effecting everywhere constantly. But it is real.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    I haven't been experiencing much lag lately, but when I do see noticeable levels of it either of two things seem to be happening:

One, it does seem to be happening across a whole scenario-instance because people who were consistently firing in particular patterns before it hit seem to have gaps in their rotations all of a sudden at the same time that I start having a lot of ability misfires, and in one Pavo space run a jellyfish's bubble failed to come up (or came up late) several times when an enemy group was definitely in range of it while it was in jellyfish mode, when the lag was the worst.

While implying that it is happening to everyone at that particular time and place there does not seem to be any obvious visible cause for it, so I am not sure how useful that observation is.

The other case seems to be when there are an unusual number of mines or those Tholian crystals (and/or purple chunks that could be torpedo fragments from the new torpedo) up. That type seems to cause more rubberbanding than the first type but that may just be some variant of the same cause, especially since regular mines are almost impossible to see at a distance and there just may not be any close enough for me to see when they home in on their targets.

It makes me wonder if the sound and lights from too many crystals could be causing some sort of additional bottleneck since sound generally has a higher priority packet-wise.
  • Options
    scotty74321scotty74321 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited February 28
    (Hate speech removed. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    Laddy, don't you think you should... rephrase that??
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,189 Arc User
    There is good day and bad days, still experiencing the issues but not as much or as common as it was when I made the post.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    husanakxhusanakx Member Posts: 1,593 Arc User
    edited March 1
    The current server issues imo can be blamed on new items released into the game. One of which has been "fixed"... but is still a terrible idea. The second being completely bugged and the worse yet less common of the two. (having said that I guess most people are probably finishing up their Pavo event now... expect the server to cry more)

The console from the new carrier is a terrible idea. It doubles pet haste pretty much at all times. If you have 2 players on a Map using that console with an Unconventional systems build. The amount of server load is insanely higher then it was previously.

Adding to that the 3pc Pavo set is bugged and reducing ALL cool downs 50%... this includes weapon fire rates, consoles, torpedo and mine cool downs. With this set if you were to load even 2 mines you can flood the map with mine entries. Everything is firing twice as fast at default... combine this with something like the poorly thought out carrier console and again the server is under a massive amount of load it wasn't under previously.

To prove the point to myself... I setup a carrier with 2 wings of Nausican pets yesterday with a spam fleet support setup (4-5 fleet calls per TFO), mines and torps. I ran one Cure Elite... parser reported 15 THOUSAND entries from my ship alone. For reference a few weeks ago without the new busted items a parse on essentially the same build would have been in the 4k range. Even if the average player using the console/pavo set is going from 2-3k entries to 5k. Multiply that by 5 people on a map and the server is going to complain.
  • Options
    edited March 6
    The latest 10 forward dev stream they confirmed the lag is caused by a combination of problems in the local game code and the servers. Despite Jonsills arguing otherwise they also confirmed that like I said before entire zones/areas everyone in that section was effected at the same time . In turn it cleared up for everyone in that effected area at the same time.

“This is also affected by how the game partitions maps, and people use powers in those partitions.”

So the server was doing calculations and if it was too taxing is would cause lag for everyone split into that server partition zone.
    Organic Nebula is an example they rebuilt it which is not live yet. Due to the server load issues it caused. It sounds like this was one of the powers causing entire zones to lag out.

husanakx wrote: »
    To prove the point to myself... I setup a carrier with 2 wings of Nausican pets yesterday with a spam fleet support setup (4-5 fleet calls per TFO), mines and torps. I ran one Cure Elite... parser reported 15 THOUSAND entries from my ship alone. For reference a few weeks ago without the new busted items a parse on essentially the same build would have been in the 4k range. Even if the average player using the console/pavo set is going from 2-3k entries to 5k. Multiply that by 5 people on a map and the server is going to complain.
    High entries have been causing problems for years. Its one of the reasons why I fly Friagtes and Tricobalt mines as the difference between that compared to fighters with normal mines is massive in terms of entries limits and performance problems.
  • Options
    shokun1002shokun1002 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Is there anyone who was able to solve the problem?
    I've been having terrible lag since January. I could barely play TFO today.
  • Options
    edited March 18
    shokun1002 wrote: »
    Is there anyone who was able to solve the problem?
    I've been having terrible lag since January. I could barely play TFO today.
    The game client and server lag has for the most part been fixed. If you are still having 24/7 lag it is highly likely the problem is something more local or between you and the servers rather the the servers and game client.

There are still a few problem areas like the first area in ISE with the first wave of Borg often lags out with to many powers being triggered. If you are getting lag everywhere in game in all areas try to rule out local wireless or wired problems.

The main game client and server lag problems from the past few months seems to be resolved.
This discussion has been closed.