test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Massive Lag issues back?

doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,190 Arc User
I remember a year or two ago we had some serious lag issues in the game on going for a few months and I feel we got the same problems all over only it hasn't been that long yet. I don't know what is going on but TFO's become at times unplayable and I know we had a emergency server restart a few days ago but the root of the problem is not fixed. If anything its getting worse for me.

Also people from my fleet who come from all over the world have the same issues and we do have the same issues when we go and team up for random tfo's.
C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,796 Arc User
    I don't know what counts as 'massive', but I've been suffering from rubberbanding since yesterday. Under normal circumstances, it's not an issue, or only at some places like the Dyson ground battlezone.

Since yesterday, however, I'm constantly dealing with my character shooting back and forth, abilities going on cooldown without the effect triggering, torpedo charges being lost without the torpedoes firing because I probably moved my ship too soon to let the game account for three seconds lag - and so on.

It's pretty annoying.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    thehnthehn Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    Been awful for the last 2 days for me.
    Even the R&D menu is lagging
  • Options
    cathach#9669 cathach Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    The rubber-banding is terrible today. I lose connection about every 15 minutes of playtime. Can't play the game until this is solved.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,511 Arc User
    I too noticed rubberbanding on ESD though not on Drozanna or in space or TFOs as yet. There were more weapons malfunctions (especially the "mushroom gun" ability from the Klingon revolution space equipment set which seems to be especially sensitive to interruptions) than usual as well, which is annoying.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    FWIW, I haven't experienced lag lately, so it's probably not an issue with Cryptic's server farm this time. Probably.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    tribbulatertribbulater Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    In general, incidents of lag/rubberbanding/SNRs/disconnects increase every year during Omega events. I see most reports of it from social hubs and common Omega particle farming areas, although it can extend anywhere. It doesn't normally appear to be a "server" issue since some people get it and some don't, but more zone based.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    In general, incidents of lag/rubberbanding/SNRs/disconnects increase every year during Omega events. I see most reports of it from social hubs and common Omega particle farming areas, although it can extend anywhere. It doesn't normally appear to be a "server" issue since some people get it and some don't, but more zone based.

So it's probably case of population density then, places that get popular get more lag, that said I haven't gotten major lag issues
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I've definitely been noticing it the last few days
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »

So it's probably case of population density then, places that get popular get more lag, that said I haven't gotten major lag issues
    Last night I was thinking this was the smoothest its been in a long time. This morning when the servers are at the lowest population point in the day its a lag rubber band mess. So I don't think its the serve population problem. My twitter feed is also full of people saying over the night while I was sleep saying its the worst lag in a long time.

Something happened in the past 12 hours. Went from silky smooth to rubber banding.
  • Options
    edited February 4
    It's only getting worse. I mean, I was encountering serious lag and rubberbanding in stuff like Guillotine before.

But now even older TFO's where I never suffer from these issues are unplayable. I just had to leave a Khitomer Vortex Elite because everything was lagging like hell and not a single attack, ship movement or counter could properly be executed:

Enemies are warping in way too late, after my buffs - activated in anticipation - have expired.
    Abilities and weapons go on double cooldowns without the effect triggering (meaning you can't even properly buff your weapons, counter attacks, heal your ship or use stuff like mixed armaments synergy).

And so on. There's no point in queuing for anything or trying to complete a mission when it's like this. I'll come back when the issues have been resolved.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    If the cause is, once again, the Omega stuff, they need to seriously consider abandoning it for next year's event. Just add the rewards such as the Party Popper to the TFO's or episodes.

There's no good reason to keep a certain option when it makes the game as a whole unplayable for large parts of the playerbase. The game's overall stability should take priority and it's been suffering from this event for years now.

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    edited February 5
    If the cause is, once again, the Omega stuff, they need to seriously consider abandoning it for next year's event. Just add the rewards such as the Party Popper to the TFO's or episodes.

There's no good reason to keep a certain option when it makes the game as a whole unplayable for large parts of the playerbase. The game's overall stability should take priority and it's been suffering from this event for years now.

I don't support abandoning the stabilization of Omega molecules for next year's event. I would instead support fixing it.

I miss the Party Patrol mission when that was a thing.

As for this problem, except for one day when I noticed some lag on DS9, really have not noticed it on my end though I am doing the TFOs and not really doing much of the Omega Stabilization game.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    sthe91 wrote: »

I don't support abandoning the stabilization of Omega molecules for next year's event. I would instead support fixing it.

I miss the Party Patrol mission when that was a thing.

As for this problem, except for one day when I noticed some lag, really have not noticed it on my end though I am doing the TFOs and not really doing much of the Omega Stabilization game.

Sure, fixing is always the preferred solution.

But since they have tried to do this for many years (including reducing the number of particles that spawn on each map), I believe they should seriously consider (emphasis on consider, meaning a fix should be part of the equation too) just dropping the whole thing.

To me, it is undefendable that the 99% of the game's actual content - the part where we fly our ships and play with our toons - has to suffer each year, just to keep a certain mini-game active.
    Especially if said mini-game is limited to pushing two buttons for a minute or moving one's mouse up and down. It's not the most engaging content and the content that is actually engaging, shouldn't therefore become unplayable because of issues that persist, despite many attempts at fixing them.

(I'd like to restate again: all of this was written under the assumption that the Omega game is causing the lag.)

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    rubberbanding real bad during guillotine and really really bad on ds9. i stopped playing it was so bad
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    edited February 5
    I haven't been spending a lot of time in social hubs lately, but the short times I've been there, yes DS9 has been one of the worst locations for lag, rubberbanding and SNRs. (During this event)
  • Options
    I haven't been spending a lot of time in social hubs lately, but the short times I've been there, yes DS9 has been one of the worst locations for lag, rubberbanding and SNRs. (During this event)
    Hm. That does lead one to suspect that it may be due to the population of NPCs wandering the station, the population of players seeking to run the new episode (which starts on DS9) during the event, and the Omega molecules popping up on board. I wonder if it would be possible to turn off the molecules specifically at DS9, just to test the hypothesis?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    Hm. That does lead one to suspect that it may be due to the population of NPCs wandering the station, the population of players seeking to run the new episode (which starts on DS9) during the event, and the Omega molecules popping up on board. I wonder if it would be possible to turn off the molecules specifically at DS9, just to test the hypothesis?
    Its not likely a population problem the current event was running fine for a long time without lag and the lag is no better when the server population is at the low point in the day. I am in zones with no event content and still have lag even at the lowest population points in the day.

What ever the problem is it only started around 24 ish hour ago.
  • Options

turn off the NPCs that wander around. PERMANENTLY
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    edited February 6
    Well, I decided to get into the game at around 1:30 or 1:40ish PM ET, working on my temporal agent when I got stuck in a loading screen where the connection timed out. As soon as I logged back in, things went swimmingly. I usually play at night and don't have that happen when I am doing Wolf 359 or Guillotine but mostly Wolf 359 since that bug was fixed without a notice.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited February 5
    (Trolling comments moderated out. -BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • Options
    silentwitchersilentwitcher Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    The serious rubberbanding still exists! This is especially noticeable during popular periods, and popular events/TFOs/areas I guess it's related to server capacity...?
  • Options
    edited February 6
    The serious rubberbanding still exists! This is especially noticeable during popular periods, and popular events/TFOs/areas I guess it's related to server capacity...?

It's hard to pin down to specifics. Server usage seems to have something to do with it of course, as does coding changes, since we tend to get the biggest lag/banding effects right after a large game update, or during the time while everyone is downloading the latest large patch, or during higher-activity events (like Omega, Winter etc.) I personally don't notice much of it during the summer Risa event but some people do. (Mostly during the surfing races, for me.)

It can be based on different things. When it's "large download" related, it might be bandwidth. When it's "new patch code" related, it could be because they've left something messy in the code. When it's "high event traffic" related, it could even be something not on Cryptic's servers, like they pay an outside service to "filter" their incoming packets to prevent DDOS attacks and suchlike, and that service just doesn't keep up with the increased faster packet flow. So it drops or delays packets and that leads to the issues.

One thing people can do when it's particularly bad is run various network diagnostics to see where the delays and dropped packets are occurring between your end and Cryptic. There's some help for that in this post:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1162154/pc-network-and-other-technical-issues-read-this-first-before-posting
  • Options
    Anne has been having the game crash to the point it locks her computer up. oddly enough it crashed on a toon she was tweaking in the ship customization. thats not a huge hit on CPU or GPU
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited February 7
    (discussion of moderation removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • Options
    edited February 7
    (quote of discussion of moderation removed) - darkbladejk

It has been omnipresent for you - perhaps. It has clearly not been so for most, or even many. Have you run a tracert?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 7
    It has been omnipresent for you - perhaps. It has clearly not been so for most, or even many. Have you run a tracert?
    I don't know about that. Based on the dev comments, live streamers and my own experience along with local chat I would say its been pretty wide spread and consistent rather then not most or not many. Tracert is not showing anything up and often doesn't even when the servers are the problem of lag.

If someone is experiencing full on rubberbanding and lag 24/7 week in week out I would say its more likely to be something local. The lag that happened over the past few days is not local but server based of some sort and wide spread. It seems to be clearing up now although its still there a little bit.
  • Options
    doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    What is really awkward is that I play ISE massive lag issues and 30 - 40 mins later I play ISE again and almost no lag at all. But mainly I experience lag and not just a little bit. Killed me once today in HSE. Even using bank, mail ect... I have instances where its really bad. But the really bad and then almost nothing at all is what is weird to me.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,716 Community Moderator
    Hey folks, I get that lag is a pain for folks. Believe me I get it and I don't like anymore than you folks do. However attacking the dev team and such doesn't help. There's a thousand different things that can cause lag, some with your own rigs, some with the servers, and alot dependent on what's going on between your rig and the servers that's outside of both of your control. The internet is still largely wired, and all it takes is something going wrong on the route your rig takes between the servers and your rig to cause problems.

Now there are some things that you can try for now to potentially reduce lag and see if it's the route you're taking. You can try one of the proxy connections on the launcher itself if you already haven't, or try disabling it if you're using one now. You can also make sure that you're not limiting yourself artificially in your setttings such as taking the framerate cap off. I would also advise disabling on-demand patching as that can cause issues too. If you have a VPN you can try using it to route your connection a different way to get to the servers. If you're using an ethernet connection (hard lined) you can check your cable and make sure there are no issues with it. I had one die on me before and it was a pain in the aft shuttlebay until I got a new one. If you're on wifi, make sure your router/modem is up off the ground higher so the signal doesn't have to travel through so many objects to get to your rig and isn't next to any microwaves.

With that in mind I would advise folks to run tracerts and see what you can see with that. That will tell you what's going on along the route. Run them at different times of the day, especially if you're noticing lag. This can tell you where the most likely issues are.

I get that folks are frustrated, but you can voice your frustrations while still being civil and constructive.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
This discussion has been closed.