test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scorpions abyss

Comments

• Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    They couldn't cut in "half". I didn't put a stopwatch to it so I don't know exactly how long it was or what the true halfway point was, but I think everyone that played it has an idea of "halfway".

But this episode is all we get for a while. It is how it is with any new episodes. They could not stop the episode when...
    we become borg. Then the episode ends and we go back to our regular routine where we are definitely not part of the collective, and then a month or however far down the road we get the next episode and suddenly we are infected again.

The narrative within the story has to be complete. What if, in the future, they made an episode where our ship is in spacedock for maintenance and a hostile force takes it over and our Captain and away team join the crew of our faction flagship to hunt it down, board it, and re-take command?
    They could not stop that episode right after our ship was taken. I mean, they could, but how does it make sense when, while we are waiting for the next episode, we are able to fly the ship that was just taken from us in the story?

They tried something a little different here. Yes, the episode was a little long, but I won't fault them for it.

My complaint is that my away team behaved stupidly.
    On a Borg ship, surrounded by Borg, and my team wanders off on their own, leaving everyone vulnerable? No. Not reasonable. I would have ordered my team to stay close and keep watch. Let an overwhelming force beam in and take us out, but to wander off in four directions leaving the Captain alone in the middle so everyone can be ambushed? Not good. There was just no purpose to it. It wasn't like I was assigning them some job, they just went sightseeing. Dumb.
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    Geez OP, SPOILER MUCH???
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »
    By far the BEST episode ever produced in the game. It is superb. Congrats to all involved.

I'm going to have to disagree. Didn't like that one part.

I am curious as to how the story will evolve though. Especially regarding
    whether the Aetherians can be trusted and if there was any truth to what the Borg King was saying.
    Just for caution, though I am only guessing, here...
    Absolutely not. I didn't trust them from the moment that they appeared. They are going to turn, it's just a question of when. Every episode has only further driven that point home for me.

But I don't get to do anything more than they write. I thought that my away team wandering off every which way was stupid and not something that I, as a Captain, would have allowed. I would have wanted all four of my team around me, watching my, and each other's, backs while I did what I needed to do. In an overwhelming force appeared and assimilated us, then so be it, but for my team to walk off in different directions and basically allow a small group of, if not a single, Borg to take us one by one? Stupid.

So yeah, I have to play dumb right now. I have to pick the choices I have, and the story will only go where the writer wants to go, not where I want to take it.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,344 Community Moderator
    thread /merged
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    vonestelvonestel Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I hated this episode. It is completely unacceptable for a Game Master to hit the 'you lose' button. It's amateurish and frankly quite insulting to my Captain and crew to think they are suddenly all going to just turn their back on the Borg in the middle of enemy territory. I won't ever play this mission again voluntarily. Frankly you owe us all an apology for this shoddy writing.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    I liked the story of the episode, and the Voice acting was good from all involved.

The above said, I will probably not run it on more than one or two alts because it is just TOO DAMN LONG for one contiguous episode. They could have DEFINITELY split it up into two or maybe even 3 episodes, and that would make it more manageable and replayable.

I have a good and solid internet connection, but I pity anyone who 'drops' due to internet issues.

And for those claiming: "But they have to tell the story all the way through..." <--- Please, spare me.

One of the BEST arcs they did in the 'early years' of STO was: The 2800
    ^^^
    You had a spot where DS9 was (in the story) taken over...yet after that episode ended and before the next installment, you could go back and use DS9 as needed - and no one was really complaining.

Hell, the same thing happened during the fairly recent Klingon Civil War arc that went a full year+

At one point you were labeled a traitor and supposedly being hunted by members of your own faction - yet again, in the time between that episode and the next installment, you could play all STO content, and other missions just fine and you weren't immediately 'arrested' or penalized in any way in game.

The design of this one will make it rarely replayed by the majority of the player base because of the length and sheer number of things you need tom kill and stuff you need to do. <-- And I'm trying to keep this spoiler free to a degree so only those who have done the whole thing will know what aspects I'm talking about.

From a technical and overall told story aspect, the episode is GREAT.

From an actual play through it all the way in one sitting, honestly, given the length and aspects of what you need to do and go through from a gameplay perspective <--- For me that made the overall experience sub par; and one I will not choose to repeat/replay much, except for my ,main of each faction who I decided I will play every episode through for the 'complete STO experience'.

YMMV.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,806 Arc User
    I don't think it was too long.

I like it when episodes are a bit longer, they need to keep me entertained for a while. And I'm sure it will be replayed often enough, even if only for the uniform reward.

Anyway, had the episode been short, people likely would have been complaining here that we waited so long and only got 15 minutes worth of episode content etc.

You can't make everyone happy. So I think it's better to release more content that takes longer to complete, than less, just to have it available as an option. No one is forced to play it after all, event progress can be obtained through other ways.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    I probably won't be playing it again though, because I dislike the specific part
    where we're assimilated.

I just didn't find it very believable. Like someone else has already pointed out: why are my officers, people who have at this time served with me for years and been through countless conflicts and fights, suddenly act so incompetent? And where's my vascular regenerator? Or nanite health monitor? You know, the stuff my captain has been using while fighting all those Borg in all those different instances over the years?

Starfleet has had countermeasures to assimilation since the beginning of the game - but here only Dax has it, for some reason.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    Right mate, you may want to put a spoiler warning in your thread title as you're spilling the beans on the story and not everyone may have given it a go yet.

I rather liked this new episode. I thought it was a lot of fun. I like the ground bits more than the space bits. The interior artwork for the environment is really ace. The end boss fight was a bit dodgy but kept me on me toes. I rather like having a bit longer of story missions with lots of stuff to do than patrols or TFO content that takes 30 seconds or less to finish.

I don't like the choice for the Borg King. Nothing against Harry Kim, I was just hoping for a bigger surprise like they got Sir Patrick Stewart or something for the part. Props to Garret Wang though.

Being assimilated was the most fun for me. Best part of the whole thing. Goes to show you could do a Borg faction despite all the folks who have been whinging about it being impossible to do.

I don't understand why Kumaarke is there. It's not like her people are a galactic power like the KDF, Romulans, Dominion and such. I think it would make more sense to replace her in this story, but I gather there's more to her being there given the ending.

Overall a fun story with major props to the art department on their work here. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Cheers.

Well, regarding that choice for
    the Borg King: I wonder if it has something to do with a throwaway line from Voyager. The Queen said something like 'we'll be coming for you Harry', even though she was talking to Janeway before that. Ever since, people have been wondering about what that was supposed to mean, since it was never picked up on again.

It wouldn't be the first time Cryptic built on such things that were left uncompleted. They generally do this well, so I'm hoping that they're going to do something with that line. It wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with a conflict between our Borg and the Mirror Borg - they need to assimilate after all and I see no reason why they wouldn't try to assimilate and take over each other's empires. They are very different after all and each have their own distinctiveness.

Perhaps - and this would be totally awesome - that is actually what the Aetherians are trying to do: unifying all Borg in all different universes and timelines (including ours in which, as a result of our temporal tampering during the Iconian War, has assimilated 'something powerful' - which, as far as I know, still hasn't been specified further).

Lastly: we don't know for sure yet that it was actually Mirror Harry Kim. It's only heavily implied, not confirmed. Even our Harry just assumes that it's him. It might well be Mirror Keten. xD .

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,043 Community Moderator
    I probably won't be playing it again though, because I dislike the specific part
    where we're assimilated.

I just didn't find it very believable. Like someone else has already pointed out: why are my officers, people who have at this time served with me for years and been through countless conflicts and fights, suddenly act so incompetent? And where's my vascular regenerator? Or nanite health monitor? You know, the stuff my captain has been using while fighting all those Borg in all those different instances over the years?

Starfleet has had countermeasures to assimilation since the beginning of the game - but here only Dax has it, for some reason.

I just want to point out that even the best officers can get surprised or caught off guard while working on something that requires more attention. NO ONE is infallible.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    where we're assimilated.

I just want to point out that even the best officers can get surprised or caught off guard while working on something that requires more attention. NO ONE is infallible.

I am! I'm the hero of Starbase 82!

• Options
    And I earned command of the Cerberus as an ENSIGN! (ORIGINAL tutorial when I started 12 years ago or so)
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,030 Arc User
    ORIGINAL tutorial when I started 12 years ago or so
    That was quite a different tutorial than what we have now. It'd be fun to have it re0instated as a holodeck simulation or something, along with other removed missions. Imagine just walking up to a Holodeck at Starfleet Academy and selecting a removed mission to play...

Anyway, I think most of us agree that that section of the mission might make little or no sense storywise, but boy did it add to the drama and gameplay - I loved it!
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    And I earned command of the Cerberus as an ENSIGN! (ORIGINAL tutorial when I started 12 years ago or so)
    ^^^
    Now..had you done that 15 years ago (in wave 1 Closed STO Beta - like me)... ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    sthe91 wrote: »
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    The Aetherians are more evil than hawaiian pizza and carrot cake.

I like Hawaiian pizza and I like carrot cake.

Me too
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    ORIGINAL tutorial when I started 12 years ago or so
    That was quite a different tutorial than what we have now. It'd be fun to have it re0instated as a holodeck simulation or something, along with other removed missions. Imagine just walking up to a Holodeck at Starfleet Academy and selecting a removed mission to play...

Well... its not too different. It took place at Vega Colony with the Borg attack. The big differences though were you starting as an Ensign, and actually going aboard the Khitomer before coming back to learn you're the highest ranking brass left on the ship. You weren't on a training cruise, and you weren't appointed to be First Officer. You were just an Ensign.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I'm pretty sure they put that whole
    assimilated crew section in just to riff on everyone wanting a Borg COLLECTIVE fraction by pointing out exactly what sort of gameplay you're going to be dealing with until you get liberated. Hopefully, that puts those requests to bed permanently, because GOOD TRIBBLE GOD that whole section was absolute trash
    .​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    dougglendowerdougglendower Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    By far the BEST episode ever produced in the game. It is superb. Congrats to all involved.

I deleted the game from my computer for good this time because of this. This game is dead to me now. For good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,330 Arc User
    edited January 26
    I liked the mission although
    Monster Play
    can be a bit awkward.
    Biggest regret is that the mission did not take into account that some people have Borg costumes or have Liberated Borg Characters.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,349 Arc User
    Right mate, you may want to put a spoiler warning in your thread title as you're spilling the beans on the story and not everyone may have given it a go yet.

I rather liked this new episode. I thought it was a lot of fun. I like the ground bits more than the space bits. The interior artwork for the environment is really ace. The end boss fight was a bit dodgy but kept me on me toes. I rather like having a bit longer of story missions with lots of stuff to do than patrols or TFO content that takes 30 seconds or less to finish.

I don't like the choice for the Borg King. Nothing against Harry Kim, I was just hoping for a bigger surprise like they got Sir Patrick Stewart or something for the part. Props to Garret Wang though.

Being assimilated was the most fun for me. Best part of the whole thing. Goes to show you could do a Borg faction despite all the folks who have been whinging about it being impossible to do.

I don't understand why Kumaarke is there. It's not like her people are a galactic power like the KDF, Romulans, Dominion and such. I think it would make more sense to replace her in this story, but I gather there's more to her being there given the ending.

Overall a fun story with major props to the art department on their work here. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Cheers.

Actually, I thought, whilst being an interesting part of the episode, it basically is Cryptic saying "Here you go, told you Borg 'Collective' would be totally boring as you've got to do as you are told". This is Cryptic clapping back at the suggestion....as they have from day 1. Playing as the Collective IS impossible because you've no individuality to make your own choices, and this highlights it perfectly.
    assimilated crew section in just to riff on everyone wanting a Borg COLLECTIVE fraction by pointing out exactly what sort of gameplay you're going to be dealing with until you get liberated. Hopefully, that puts those requests to bed permanently, because GOOD TRIBBLE GOD that whole section was absolute trash
    .​​

Exactly!

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode, and yes, it could have been split in two. Only one part was boring as hell, and it's the perfect reason why playable Collective should NEVER see the light of day because you can't do what you want....:lol:

Agree with others that our new found friends are not what they seem. The comments about their 'harmony' and 'unity' scream 'Iconian-Ori-Borg' to me. :lol:
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User

I deleted the game from my computer for good this time because of this. This game is dead to me now. For good.
    Bye.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    cipherblockcipherblock Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Johnny: This new episode was so long....

(audience: HOW LOG WAS IT?)

Johnny: It was so long I was disappointed there were no commercial breaks.
  • Options
    .​​

I was thinking the same thing.

• Options
    leemwatson wrote: »

Cheers.

Actually, I thought, whilst being an interesting part of the episode, it basically is Cryptic saying "Here you go, told you Borg 'Collective' would be totally boring as you've got to do as you are told". This is Cryptic clapping back at the suggestion....as they have from day 1. Playing as the Collective IS impossible because you've no individuality to make your own choices, and this highlights it perfectly.
    .​​

Exactly!

Thoroughly enjoyed the episode, and yes, it could have been split in two. Only one part was boring as hell, and it's the perfect reason why playable Collective should NEVER see the light of day because you can't do what you want....:lol:

Agree with others that our new found friends are not what they seem. The comments about their 'harmony' and 'unity' scream 'Iconian-Ori-Borg' to me. :lol:

Who knows... Maybe in the end we'll find out that the Mirror Borg and our Borg were just another of the Iconians' servitor species. :D

Iconians can't travel through time themselves, but that doesn't mean they can't perceive or understand time travel. They understand the danger it poses to them, as they made the Krenim a priority target.

The Borg are aware of alternate timelines, so maybe they are the Iconians' time travelling servitor species.

• Options

The Borg are aware of alternate timelines, so maybe they are the Iconians' time travelling servitor species.

Unlikely as the Borg cannot be coerced, bought, or otherwise manipulated into doing someone else's dirty work. Also the Iconian War is LONG over by now.
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    The main reason I consider it in the end a farce is
    making Mirror Harry the Borg King just turns it into yet another "the universe hates Harry Kim" event.

That said, I found it oddly heartwarming that Ezri is the one who saves you from assimilation.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,349 Arc User
    @legendarylycan#5411 I disagree totally mate. Given what happens in the story, it's made me more interested in having a
    Borg faction.

When we're knocking about assimilating people and such, I thought that was a right bit of fun and as a player, it's not much different than what we normally go about doing. We're taking direction from the game, performing tasks and progressing the story. Our captains don't really have free will here. We only have the options the game gives us. We're just along for the ride on the rails doing what we're told to do. No different than being a Borg really.

I know if I were really in control of me captain, I'd never have split up from the group in the Borg cube. That was just dumb. And shouldn't all of us have had that anti-assimilation hypo thing, not just Dax?

I think it might be a right bit of fun to have a faction and story that has us starting out as Borg then giving us the chance to get liberated and join the KDF/FED or staying in the Collective and wreaking havoc. Sounds like fun to me.

You can already play as Lib Borg, and the parts are available to those who aren't already. Doing this will be another two fingers to LTS players. Whilst we have some limitations, we still have the freedom to play whatever, the Borg won't.
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    vonestel wrote: »
    I hated this episode. It is completely unacceptable for a Game Master to hit the 'you lose' button. It's amateurish and frankly quite insulting to my Captain and crew to think they are suddenly all going to just turn their back on the Borg in the middle of enemy territory. I won't ever play this mission again voluntarily. Frankly you owe us all an apology for this shoddy writing.

this. my boffs ALWAYS stick close and suddenly they are wandering off??
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,665 Arc User
    I enjoyed it immensely.

me too. :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
This discussion has been closed.