test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek: Infinite

fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,977 Arc User
edited June 2023 in Ten Forward
I saw a trailer on YouTube's frontpage for what appears to be a new Star Trek game. It's called Star Trek: Infinite. It's advertised as a strategy game, set a few decades before TNG. Players will play as either the UFP, Klingon Empire, Romulan Star Empire or the Cardassian Union.

I'm not sure what the Borg have to do with it though.

See also this article:

https://blog.trekcore.com/2023/06/paradox-interactive-announces-new-star-trek-infinite-strategy-game/

And the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3cM3Rsh7lQ
[4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.

[6/12 9:59][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 24097 (13711) Physical Damage(Critical) to Elite Tactical Drone

Comments

• Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,896 Arc User
    well it can't be before TNG considering the promo has a Galaxy (only 3 were around when Enterprise launched) and several Intrepid class
    sig.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,257 Community Moderator
    If I had to guess... I think what it could mean by "before TNG", and based on the trailer, is that the game STARTS before TNG, then progresses through TNG era. Without more information I'm going to say we may see the latter stages of the era of the Ambassador going into the Galaxy and perhaps into the Sovereign in the late game.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The game looks like Star Trek: Stellaris. It is by the same publisher as Stellaris which likely explains the style.
  • Options
    smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    Guys. I preordered the game, a month ago, but NOW what do I do? I just made a steam account now (and it's leaving an AWFUL taste in my mouth, right now), and go no idea what do to. I never steamed or discorded.....I thought the game maker's site would have the download there, or some code....but nothing. :o

help? :s
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,257 Community Moderator
    @smokebailey Did you pre-order the game through Steam?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,216 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    The core gameplay is good and has a lot of potential but its needs a lot more polish. The UI and text are so bad as to almost make it unplayable at times. Its the UI that lets the game down big time.

The Borg will be the end game crisis for the empires to come together (or not) to fight off or be wiped out. Unlike STO the Borg will be deadly and require actual large fleets to fight off. Like the battle of Wolf 359 where it took 100+ ships to attack 1 cube.
  • Options
    horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    I only have 48 minutes in. It's built around the Clauswitz engine which has been the default grand strategy game platform for everything coming out of Paradox for about a decade. Like most games from the studio it's fairly content light on release. Is this case PDX is the publisher, not the developer, but for all intents and purposes a game in the mould of the studio's own engine should follow the same model which is rather content light, but functional with a DLC train that follows over years. You like the model, or not. Look at it as being nickeled and dimed, or as a game that will be supported for years.

The game start is set in the TNG/DS9 era with the opening following the Khitomer massacre that proceeded both. It's not the kind of game where you get to watch Riker's beard grow so a lot of this is is broad strokes/ top down you might not be accustomed to when you think about Trek. Grand strategy games are from the top end of an empire so it's a different perspective that takes to out of the captain's chair and places you on the throne, or the council chamber.

The game is can be played as single, or multiplayer and to make that possible your "canon" conceptions will be challenged. It''s Trek flavoured, but the Cardassians are nopt, and have never been a galactic power. The Romulans or Klingons would be rolled by a Federation that was suddenly taken over by a wargamer without the conscience and internal divisions of the Federation. The playing field has been levelled to a point where the "Big Four" are equal, but different. I think they have made some interesting choices to reflect the ideologies of each power and the PDX engine is a great choice for a challenging game with a lot of depth.

It's fun enough to make me Trek happy, but it has a ways to go before I'd say it's awesome. The difference is that most games don't see much attention from their developers 6 months to a year from launch and this will likely be different. If any of you remember Birth of the Federation from back in the day it should give you some idea of how the game feels although the implementation is more fluid and it has ideas of it's own.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• Options
    If you've played Stellaris, you'll have a bit of an edge in Star Trek Infinite. However the start is a bit slower than Stellaris, even if Stellaris starts you with only one system and Infinite has already established factions.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,216 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    If you've played Stellaris, you'll have a bit of an edge in Star Trek Infinite. However the start is a bit slower than Stellaris, even if Stellaris starts you with only one system and Infinite has already established factions.
    That's one of the features I am not keen on. It ruins the replayability with all 4 empires always starting the same way. It also removes the discovery/explore/expand early stage of the game which I would have really enjoyed.

After 3 hours I am on the verge of giving up and putting the game away to come back to in 6 months. I can see its potential but its just not fun with to many UI problems.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,996 Arc User
    Limited Federation Focus tree as well, would be nice if there was a focus tree to go down the dark side like there is in HOI, being able to flip government types led to massive replayability on HOI IV
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      Odds are focus trees will be expanded upon over time.
      Don't forget, Paradox is involved. And they love their DLCs. May get annoying at times, but just look at how long Stellaris and HOI4 have been supported. Although I kinda question the Sabaton music DLCs just a bit.
    • Options
      They've got such a rich library of history to go off, I'm sure the modders will work their magic to give us more once the game has been around for a bit longer.
      Starting at the Enterprise era would have been a better start tbh so you work your way through the various trek eras
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
        They've got such a rich library of history to go off, I'm sure the modders will work their magic to give us more once the game has been around for a bit longer.
        Starting at the Enterprise era would have been a better start tbh so you work your way through the various trek eras

They already did that for Stellaris - New Horizons, New Civilizations, pick your flavor...not actually sure what the actual differences are, but there seems to be bad blood between at least some of the team's members, so I assume one is a branch-off of the other.​​
        Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
        An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
        A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
        A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
        "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
        Passion and Serenity are one.
        I gain power by understanding both.
        In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
        I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
        The Force is united within me.
      • Options
        phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,687 Arc User
        edited October 2023
        That is assuming they can use any of the other eras. The all-era license that STO has is actually rather unusual, for example FASA was limited to TOS and early movie era for the most part, and most other games seem to be only licensed for one era too.

Also, as the first, and longest running, Trek spinoff TNG seems to be the safe default for Trek games nowadays, and in today's market game companies are playing it safe for the most part, even though TNG is a bit older than the sweet spot for nostalgia, (which runs about twenty years according to Hollywood statistical models), in fact it is entering ancient history territory from that standpoint.
      • Options
        legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
        Yeah, but there isn't anything between TNG/DS9/VOY and DIS they can actually use...except KT, but even after the merger there are probably way too many legal briar patches that would need untangling for games set there if you want to actually use already-existing stuff and not have to make basically everything up aside from what the three movies, shooter game and comics/books have already done.

And it's not exactly what anyone would call nostalgic, so Paradox wouldn't be pulling in very much from it even if the biggest money-and-time-sink has already been taken care of (coding an engine for the type of game you want if an open-source one doesn't already exist).​​
        Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
        An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
        A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
        A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
        "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
        Passion and Serenity are one.
        I gain power by understanding both.
        In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
        I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
        The Force is united within me.
      • Options
        The game has potential, so far I've enjoyed it.
        Interesting way of claiming systems as well, I might play a different Federation path and see how different decisions affect the timeline.

NMXb2ph.png