Install Arc
Options

Make Caitians a TOS race

2»

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I have to admit, I wish it was an option to choose the transporter/warp effects. You can choose the hud colour. I mean. I fly the Donnie and don't have a comm badge so the Disco visuals would be much more relevant. Now we can fly Klingon ships, having the Klingon effects as well would be nice for characters with Klingon ships. It doesn't seem that this would be difficult to implement.

The problem though is apparently the Transporter Effects and communicator are bound to the faction. An artifact of the way the game is built from day one.
    I'd love to have the Wrath of Khan Transporter Effect from the Genesis Device for one of my TOS characters

I would like to be able to use the TOS Klingon "flame" style transporter effect for some of my Klingon characters who have a background of being from then, but that faction lock would get in the way even if they did come out with the effect linked to a subfaction like the DSC transporter effects on the Fed side.

For that matter, even using the Dominion transporter effect for my faux-Vorta characters would great and the effect is even in the game except for the faction-level lock (though the best way to fix that in the case of the Vorta would be to have them available in the faction they are supposed to be from in the first place).

Unfortunately, neither TOS nor DS9 are well supported character-wise in the game despite TOS having its own starting arc and DS9 having the station and wormhole.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,778 Arc User
    I have to admit, I wish it was an option to choose the transporter/warp effects. You can choose the hud colour. I mean. I fly the Donnie and don't have a comm badge so the Disco visuals would be much more relevant. Now we can fly Klingon ships, having the Klingon effects as well would be nice for characters with Klingon ships. It doesn't seem that this would be difficult to implement.

The problem though is apparently the Transporter Effects and communicator are bound to the faction. An artifact of the way the game is built from day one.
    I'd love to have the Wrath of Khan Transporter Effect from the Genesis Device for one of my TOS characters

I would like to be able to use the TOS Klingon "flame" style transporter effect for some of my Klingon characters who have a background of being from then, but that faction lock would get in the way even if they did come out with the effect linked to a subfaction like the DSC transporter effects on the Fed side.

For that matter, even using the Dominion transporter effect for my faux-Vorta characters would great and the effect is even in the game except for the faction-level lock (though the best way to fix that in the case of the Vorta would be to have them available in the faction they are supposed to be from in the first place).

Unfortunately, neither TOS nor DS9 are well supported character-wise in the game despite TOS having its own starting arc and DS9 having the station and wormhole.

All I'm getting is that DSC Klingons should've just gotten their own faction, so they can have the green transporter effects and a full DSC Klingon crew, but instead we got the lazy version of Disco Klingons.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited October 2023

All I'm getting is that DSC Klingons should've just gotten their own faction, so they can have the green transporter effects and a full DSC Klingon crew, but instead we got the lazy version of Disco Klingons.

The subfaction thing was only mentioned because transporter and comm effects are hardcoded to faction (or even subfaction as the DSC Federation stuff shows), this branch of the thread actually started with ussvinovia asking for an option to either use the ship's faction effects on a ship-to-ship basis or possibly pick those effects on a dynamic character-per-character basis instead of it being fixed by the character generator the way they are now.

The rest replies were about why it was not possible to do so complete with verbal illustrations and clarifications, along with some wishes for particular effects not supported in the game (like the Wrath of Khan effects and the TOS Klingon transporter effect).

The TOS one was only seen in one episode, Day of the Dove where it was revealed that Klingon transporters were whisper-quiet at the time and had a kind of "flame" looking effect instead of the glitter effect of Federation transporters or the splotchy color mix of the Mirror Federation transporters. The sole example of the Klingon one is in this clip at about the 1:26 point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nginTLjRTgI
This discussion has been closed.