test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Protostar Omni Beam no longer allowed with other set omni's after todays patch?

2»

Comments

• Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »
    With players melting advanced and even elite content in mere seconds, I don't really see 'power creep' as a valid reason not to remove these restrictions anyway. Even if allowing multiple omni-beams would lead to more DPS being done (which is doubtful anyway, indeed).

If players want to fly a ship with four regular beams and four omni beams, or four DBB and four omni's, why not just let them? Sure, there might be a player or two who can find a way to increase their already very high DPS even further somehow - but they're going to melt everything anyway.

For the other 99.99% of the playerbase, it would be a welcome change that would make

1. Certain weapon types (like DBB's) more useful / more enjoyable
    2. Certain ship types that have been losing their edge more competitive again (like regular 4- fore cruisers compared to 5-fore battlecruisers - or sci ships with 3 forward slots instead of 4).

Battlecruisers are called battlecruisers because they have a tactical edge...and if you're depending on energy weapons with your sci ship then you really aren't very worried about doing damage

Who said anything about depending on energy weapons on a sci ship?

We both know that sci abilities require you to keep the forward part of your ship towards the enemy. That makes dual beam banks one of the logical weapon choices, regardless of DPS. Allowing players to combine those DBB's with omni's would finally allow sci ships to use a full beam build while using their sci abilities.

It's not about DPS, it's about not being forced to mix DBB's with entirely different weapon types like turrets.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    With players melting advanced and even elite content in mere seconds, I don't really see 'power creep' as a valid reason not to remove these restrictions anyway. Even if allowing multiple omni-beams would lead to more DPS being done (which is doubtful anyway, indeed).

If players want to fly a ship with four regular beams and four omni beams, or four DBB and four omni's, why not just let them? Sure, there might be a player or two who can find a way to increase their already very high DPS even further somehow - but they're going to melt everything anyway.

For the other 99.99% of the playerbase, it would be a welcome change that would make

2. Certain ship types that have been losing their edge more competitive again (like regular 4- fore cruisers compared to 5-fore battlecruisers - or sci ships with 3 forward slots instead of 4).

Battlecruisers are called battlecruisers because they have a tactical edge...and if you're depending on energy weapons with your sci ship then you really aren't very worried about doing damage

We both know that sci abilities require you to keep the forward part of your ship towards the enemy. That makes dual beam banks one of the logical weapon choices, regardless of DPS. Allowing players to combine those DBB's with omni's would finally allow sci ships to use a full beam build while using their sci abilities.

It's not about DPS, it's about not being forced to mix DBB's with entirely different weapon types like turrets.

You aren't going to do much with your beams...you're better off with torps...some great torps, some even use epgs

Besides even if you don't you can still use two omnis and a kcb if you don't care that you're just tickling them and that there are other ways you can be effective without even needing weapon power
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,508 Arc User

You aren't going to do much with your beams...you're better off with torps...some great torps, some even use epgs

Besides even if you don't you can still use two omnis and a kcb if you don't care that you're just tickling them and that there are other ways you can be effective without even needing weapon power

Still it would be better if they changed the rules to any two omnibeams and the KCB so you would have more flexibility with mixing sets and it would not be such a confusing mess for new players. Even 4/4 arrangements would not need more than those three since at least one aft slot usually goes to a torpedo or mine launcher, and the one extra set ability is usually more flavor-fluff than substance so it would not be a balance issue.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User

Players might not care about the damage potential of those omni-beams on a sci ship, but they usually do care about the visuals.

I would like to be able to use phaser beams on most of my Starfleet ships, not salvaged Borg tech. It's a matter of immersion.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    coaldust#7044 coaldust Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    The omni limit just needs removing honestly. If I can do turrets all in the back, I should be able to do omnis too
    "We've learned that friendship isn't always easy. But there's no doubt it's worth fighting for."
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,600 Arc User
    edited October 2023
    The omni limit just needs removing honestly. If I can do turrets all in the back, I should be able to do omnis too

and that is the real solution. limit omnis to the rear weapon slots, just like cannons are limited to the fore slots. the only other issue io can see would be if you had 4 set omnis you could potentially have 4 2 pc or more sets going on, especially with some sets combining other weapons, some consoles and some shields
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 257 Arc User

Agreed. Frankly, the restriction comes across as arbitrary.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User

and that is the real solution. limit omnis to the rear weapon slots, just like cannons are limited to the fore slots. the only other issue io can see would be if you had 4 set omnis you could potentially have 4 2 pc or more sets going on, especially with some sets combining other weapons, some consoles and some shields

You can do that with turrets in sets now, and have been able to all along. So, not a problem.
This discussion has been closed.