test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Event campaigns are awful.

whiteknight1xwhiteknight1x Member Posts: 194 Arc User
These event campaigns are not fun. Forcing everybody to play on normal mode is so frustrating. Even the people who can't play on the higher difficulty levels are upset because of players like myself who come in and just clean everything out. So this current strategy is a failure on both sides.

Now we have to do these no-win scenarios. Why don't you just give of the the rewards and be done with it. I'm being serious, they're no fun. I just find a spot in the map where I can camp take the hits and auto fire FAW. They can't do enough damage to take me out. Even if they do just wait and game will kick me out of the map.

Players like myself who been playing this game for a long time (open beta) with lifetime subscriptions it's just frustrating. Less not even talk about the fact that the newest TFO's only have normal difficulty level. Currently the only content in the game that I enjoy are the new hard patrols. But I have redesign my ship and change how I fly, so these are starting to get easy.

Currently, the only way to run a Elite queue Is through your fleet or a DPS channel. If you bring back the ability to see how many players are in these queues will help. Setting them so only the players whose difficulty levels are set on elite can access them. This would discourage players who can't play on elite to join those queues. My rant is done. Thanks
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,871 Arc User
    edited August 2023
    The flip side is that if the default difficulty is made to advanced you'll devastate players whose builds that aren't yet ready. Ideally all versions of the TFO should count. But if there's a choice to be made then normal is the obvious call to make. Having a few minutes of too-easy gameplay (which you can follow up by jumping into something hard, you're not obligated to ONLY do the daily during your login) isn't comparable to the frustration of newer/more casual players being thrashed around for a too-difficult run (which is an easy excuse for quitting the game, apparently making a hard-sale to force more build investment can be extremely off-putting).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    if you find the content too easy, maybe try it in a lesser ship. step down to a tier 4 or tier 3 ship unless/until the devs make multi difficulty in events a thing (they tried in the last one but I think the went the wrong direction) all the "l33t" players can do to challenge themselves ins handicap themselves, or just wipe the board and TRIBBLE off the other players
    Spock.jpg

• Options
    laman#4431 laman Member Posts: 5 New User
    Are you kidding me? They have it on normal event so that the limited player base including new players who are learning have enough players to start & complete the daily without any problems. If you are concerned about (Cleaning Up) why don't you get a private team together to avoid being teamed with players who are learning STO? Or better still get new players & teach them how to play STO instead of complaining about getting good decent FREE GEAR & SHIPS!!! 🖖
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,529 Arc User
    edited August 2023
    The current way the campaigns are done is handy for those who have a wildly varying amount of time to play the game. On those tightly limited days it is best to have an event that does not take too much time and on less busy days you can cycle a lot of characters through the event to keep them current (for things like avoiding getting kicked from fleets, etc.) and pick up an often-nice number of marks. Making numerous difficulties available for the events would slow things down for everyone by dividing the players between them.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,523 Arc User
    It's also handy for endeavors where you replace you Mk XV phaser/disruptor/etc. with random Mk XII <other energy type> gear to get that 50 / 150 / 500K damage.
  • Options
    sukhothaisukhothai Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    To quote Miles O'Brien "This game is supposed to be fun, not a life and death struggle."
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,529 Arc User
    edited August 2023
    valoreah wrote: »
    if you find the content too easy, maybe try it in a lesser ship. step down to a tier 4 or tier 3 ship unless/until the devs make multi difficulty in events a thing (they tried in the last one but I think the went the wrong direction) all the "l33t" players can do to challenge themselves ins handicap themselves, or just wipe the board and TRIBBLE off the other players

Intentionally nerfing yourself as a solution is a disincentive to improve or to earn any of the gear rewards from these events. As players become better equipped and more skilled, there should be content to challenge them.

That is what elite TFOs are for, along with the highest difficulty setting for missions.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,806 Arc User
    These event campaigns are not fun. Forcing everybody to play on normal mode is so frustrating. Even the people who can't play on the higher difficulty levels are upset because of players like myself who come in and just clean everything out. So this current strategy is a failure on both sides.

Now we have to do these no-win scenarios. Why don't you just give of the the rewards and be done with it. I'm being serious, they're no fun. I just find a spot in the map where I can camp take the hits and auto fire FAW. They can't do enough damage to take me out. Even if they do just wait and game will kick me out of the map.

Players like myself who been playing this game for a long time (open beta) with lifetime subscriptions it's just frustrating. Less not even talk about the fact that the newest TFO's only have normal difficulty level. Currently the only content in the game that I enjoy are the new hard patrols. But I have redesign my ship and change how I fly, so these are starting to get easy.

Currently, the only way to run a Elite queue Is through your fleet or a DPS channel. If you bring back the ability to see how many players are in these queues will help. Setting them so only the players whose difficulty levels are set on elite can access them. This would discourage players who can't play on elite to join those queues. My rant is done. Thanks

Yeah, they need to add - at the very least - advanced content for the missions that don't have them and enable it for events.

Also, give players the option to play the full mission, instead of a very limited thing that isn't even worth queuing for if it weren't for the event rewards.

I'm going to be blunt: it's stupid and dumb to promote the playing of a piece of content, only to then not allow players to play it. It makes no sense. You're not going to ask people to prepare for running a marathon, and then cut them off after walking a 100 metres.

It makes sense that there are easy and short-duration versions of the events available - it makes no sense that these are the only options and any and all challenge is removed. Cause indeed, they might as well just give us the rewards at this point the moment you log on. It's not like 7 rounds of Sompek is that much more demanding than just pressing the log on button.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    laman#4431 wrote: »
    Are you kidding me? They have it on normal event so that the limited player base including new players who are learning have enough players to start & complete the daily without any problems. If you are concerned about (Cleaning Up) why don't you get a private team together to avoid being teamed with players who are learning STO? Or better still get new players & teach them how to play STO instead of complaining about getting good decent FREE GEAR & SHIPS!!! 🖖

Those players could still play on normal if advanced were opened up for events.

There is no reason why we could have only one or the other - in this case, we can have our cake and eat it too.

In fact, most events used to have multiple difficulties in the past - and the Sompek/KM event even had multiple options active during events as well.

The current way the campaigns are done is handy for those who have a wildly varying amount of time to play the game. On those tightly limited days it is best to have an event that does not take too much time and on less busy days you can cycle a lot of characters through the event to keep them current (for things like avoiding getting kicked from fleets, etc.) and pick up an often-nice number of marks. Making numerous difficulties available for the events would slow things down for everyone by dividing the players between them.

(Emphasis added)

I doubt it would be that much of a problem.

For this event, I haven't had to wait for more than somethin like 30 seconds for the mission to start. Surely it wouldn't be that problematic if this waiting time doubled and we had to wait for a minute?

For most other non-event content, you're waiting much, much longer whenever an event is active. Often played missions like Azure Nebula, Infected Space and Tzenkethi Front take noticably longer to load whenever there's a Red Alert event or a campaign event built around other missions than those mentioned.

There is a problem of long waiting times, but event missions taking too long to load aren't part of that problem. imo.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    The trade off of shortening event queue times by only offering normal level event content causes a whole host of other issues. It intentionally forces players who are far beyond normal level to be put into matches with players who are not at their level. Those newer players "learning the ropes" are not learning anything when you have Red Alerts and such lasting less than 30 seconds. Even events with arbitrary timers have players hanging around doing little to nothing while players who are built for Advanced and Elite level wipe the map in literal seconds.

Yeah, to give just one example of that:

Yesterday, there was a Cnidarian. His bubble instantly destroyed everything the moment they appeared.

I didn't get an AFK penalty, but I'm not so sure that was true for everyone on the team.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,041 Community Moderator
    On the other hand... having a player who is NOT ready for advanced or elite accidentally queue for those would cause problems as well.

It goes both ways. You can't just cite elite players being "the problem" in normal queues without taking into consideration the opposite end of the spectrum of normal players in elite queues.

By giving so many variations of the same queues as options but with different difficulty levels, do you honestly think no one is going to accidentally queue for the wrong variant that they're not ready for?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,608 Arc User
    edited August 2023
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,990 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    On the other hand... having a player who is NOT ready for advanced or elite accidentally queue for those would cause problems as well.

It goes both ways. You can't just cite elite players being "the problem" in normal queues without taking into consideration the opposite end of the spectrum of normal players in elite queues.

By giving so many variations of the same queues as options but with different difficulty levels, do you honestly think no one is going to accidentally queue for the wrong variant that they're not ready for?

If a player who's not ready for advanced difficulty happens to choose to bite of more than they can chew it's really no big thing. A lot of intermediate players would be happy to assist the team in achieving success.

If "accidentally" queuing for the wrong difficulty was of any real concern I think the devs would have put an "are you sure" sort of warning in place for any TFO beyond normal difficulty many years ago.

rc0vo68c6bs9.png

Nobody has ever queued up for an ISA before they're ready..
  • Options

Accidents can always happen, you can't let decisions like these depend on that one person who might hit a wrong button or select the wrong thingy.

• Options

There are no advanced or elite versions of event content, so this is irrelevant.

Players would have to manually select Advanced or Elite difficulty to queue for those, so it is not an issue. Definitely much, much, much less of an issue (if at all) in my opinion. There have been quite a lot of threads on the forums here over the years about too much DPS and such. I cannot think of any thread I have ever seen here where it was the inverse - players complaining about beginners queueing for Elite TFO content and blowing the match for everyone. I personally have never seen this happen nor do I ever recall seeing it mentioned in any of the various DPS channels in-game either.

We used to have the 'worst STF experience' thread an eternity ago.

Which was mostly a (fun) complaining thread about players' lacking performances.

But yes, this is much less of an issue, certainly today. Overperforming players one-shotting everything on (for them, boring) normal content they're being forced to play is a much more serious issue than a player potentially queuing for something they're not prepared for. Not least because many newer missions tend to auto-complete after the time gate has disappeared anyway.

In fact, one might even argue that advanced and elite players being forced to play normal content is the main cause of normal-difficulty players encountering situations they cannot deal with.

• Options
    sierra078sierra078 Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited August 2023
    If its too easy in a queue try doing it solo. You can queue up a solo run in the private tab. I do it with Borg TFOs all the time. (Although admitadly on normal, I tried advanced once and kept getting one shotted by the pickles.) I tried the Arena alone once, went down a bunch of times but managed to get through it.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    Everyone who plays this game was a newbie and then a lower level player at some point.
    I am amazed at how quickly some people forget this. Although I'm not at all surprised by it.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    sierra078 wrote: »
    If its too easy in a queue try doing it solo. You can queue up a solo run in the private tab. I do it with Borg TFOs all the time. (Although admitadly on normal, I tried advanced once and kept getting one shotted by the pickles.) I tried the Arena alone once, went down a bunch of times but managed to get through it.

Yes, this is indeed more enjoyable. It's how I play the Sompek event because we aren't allowed to actually give the full mission a try if we wanted to.

Also works great for most endeavours, because there's a much better chance of being able to kill enough enemies of a certain kind in one go, if you're the only one shooting them.

That being said, this solution doesn't work for everyone. There's quite a gap between belonging in normal difficulty content, and being able to solo normal level content.
    That gap contains players who are:

- too powerful for normal content - and, hence, for whom normal level content is too boring -
    - capable of playing advanced content with four other people and doing their fair share of whatever needs to be done
    - yet not powerful enough to easily finish a mission by themselves (without dying or struggling more than they should have to for an event)

The easiest solution to the problem would be to simply restore the options that were always there, until a few months or so ago when they suddenly decided to (besides releasing only normal difficulty content for some missions) disable full missions in the case of Sompek, and only allow normal difficulty to be played during events.

Give players options. It's the best way.

• Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    @valoreah

I did read the content.

I fail to see the need to complain about players who have not yet reached Exalted Status as a way to get Events to have differing levels of challenge for players of differing skill levels.

Apparently, I'm allowed to have any opinion you want me to, lmao
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,517 Arc User
    …because of players like myself…

lol… I’m gonna get “filtered” for his one, but I “love” it when folks come into the forums and drop subtle brags and try to make the rest of the players feel incompetent…

CRM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,988 Arc User
    edited August 2023
    I'm finding it boring and tedious, I want challenge and being able to reduce enemies to scrap easily, I'm just getting bored of. I want something that can really test me on an event and just having the difficulty options in place would go a long way.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
      i agree that they need to add a advanced option to events as all but 2 of my captains are running gold maxed ships and ground the events are just too easy
      gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
    This discussion has been closed.