test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STAR TREK DAY

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
edited August 2023 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We're celebrating Star Trek's upcoming birthday with a special in game museum of the Federation's history on all platforms!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11550753
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    What's so special about it? It's the same thing every year. Something different would be nice. How about adding the Enterprise G and J to it?
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,478 Arc User
    Also, would like the Protostar from Star Trek: Prodigy added with VO lines from the show even if the ship was not purchasable due to legal matters between Paramount and Nickelodeon.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    jcsww wrote: »
    What's so special about it? It's the same thing every year. Something different would be nice. How about adding the Enterprise G and J to it?

Well... its possible we MIGHT get the G.
    sthe91 wrote: »
    Also, would like the Protostar from Star Trek: Prodigy added with VO lines from the show even if the ship was not purchasable due to legal matters between Paramount and Nickelodeon.

Considering the fact we don't have a model for the Protostar at all?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    realdarklordrealdarklord Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

...nor the license to use it in the game IIRC
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator

I think the complicating factor is that it was a joint venture with Nickelodeon, which means having to negotiate with Nickelodeon. Paramount would probably greenlight it instantly, but Nickelodeon might not.
    The fact we're getting a set with the next event that references Prodigy does give hope though for more Prodigy content.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options

From my understanding. Nickelodeon did not want a ship from a children's show going in any type of lockbox, was the disagreement.
  • Options

From my understanding. Nickelodeon did not want a ship from a children's show going in any type of lockbox, was the disagreement.

That was my understanding as well, but licensing doesn't work that way.
    Cryptic either has the license or they don't.
    There isn't a license for NPC-ship, a license for playable ship or a license for lockbox-ship.
    It's an all-or-nothing thing.

If they had the license, they could do whatever they want, including putting it in a lockbox, if the don't they can't use it in the game in any way.
  • Options

There isn't a license for NPC-ship, a license for playable ship or a license for lockbox-ship.

If they had the license, they could do whatever they want, including putting it in a lockbox, if the don't they can't use it in the game in any way.

I think the license for Prodigy actually belongs to Nickelodeon. I could be wrong though but it seems likely, at least before it was canned.
  • Options
    lordtime2000#4947 lordtime2000 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    If you look at the Paramount app / web page, you will see Nickelodeon & a few other networks there. Now if I remember right
    paramount cancel Star Trek: Prodigy
  • Options

I think the license for Prodigy actually belongs to Nickelodeon. I could be wrong though but it seems likely, at least before it was canned.

No, the copyright belongs to Nickelodeon. That's a different thing.
    I'll try to explain that, but it's not 100% accurate. I'll try to keep it simple as this would go way beyond the scope of this forum.

When you create an original work, it is your intellectual property. You own the copyright.
    You can sell a copyright, but that's not a license. That's like selling you car. It's not yours any more.
    e.g. George Lucas, creator and copyright owner of Star Wars sold his copyright to Disney. They own it now. George doesn't.

But the copyright owner has the option to allow a third party (person or company) to create their own original works using his copyrighted material. That's a license.
    The copyright ownership stays with him, but someone else can use it and publish his own works based in it.

A license usually specifies a type of work (TV-series, PC-games, novels, comic-books, board games, etc..) the license-holder is allowed to publish.
    It can be given fow a specific amount of time or a certain number of works (e.g. 3 novels)
    Licenses for TV-shows are often given for one season at a time and then renegotiated.
    The license can be exclusive (the copyright owner agrees to not give the same license to someone else while you have it) on non-exclusive.
    e.g. Disney gave EA a 10-year exclusive license for Star Wars PC-games (resulting in a decade of crappy Star Wars-games)

No matter the details of the license-deal, one thing always remains the same:

The work created under the license is the license-holder intellectual property, not the original copyright owners.
    Therefor the license-holder owns the copyright of HIS work created under the license.

It also means the original copyright-owner can not control the content created under the license. Once the license is given, the license-holder can do wiht whatever he wants (within the scope of works covered in the license)

Nickelodeon has the copyright to Prodigy, even though it exist under a Star Trek license from Paramount.
    To use it in a game, you'd need 2 licenses from different companies:
    1. A Star Trek license from Paramount (necessary to publish any Star Trek game in the first place)
    2. A Prodigy license from Nickelodeon (to include the Protostar in your Star Trek game)

Crypic has the first, if they had the 2nd, the could use it any way they see fit, including putting it in a lockbox, and Nickelodeon couldn't do a thing about it.
  • Options
    Why wasn't the Enterprise-G included in the museum?
  • Options
    ...and why wasn't the Enterprise-F's appearance in ST:Picard mentioned in its bio?
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,523 Arc User
    edited August 2023

No, the copyright belongs to Nickelodeon. That's a different thing.
    I'll try to explain that, but it's not 100% accurate. I'll try to keep it simple as this would go way beyond the scope of this forum.

When you create an original work, it is your intellectual property. You own the copyright.
    You can sell a copyright, but that's not a license. That's like selling you car. It's not yours any more.
    e.g. George Lucas, creator and copyright owner of Star Wars sold his copyright to Disney. They own it now. George doesn't.

But the copyright owner has the option to allow a third party (person or company) to create their own original works using his copyrighted material. That's a license.
    The copyright ownership stays with him, but someone else can use it and publish his own works based in it.

A license usually specifies a type of work (TV-series, PC-games, novels, comic-books, board games, etc..) the license-holder is allowed to publish.
    It can be given fow a specific amount of time or a certain number of works (e.g. 3 novels)
    Licenses for TV-shows are often given for one season at a time and then renegotiated.
    The license can be exclusive (the copyright owner agrees to not give the same license to someone else while you have it) on non-exclusive.
    e.g. Disney gave EA a 10-year exclusive license for Star Wars PC-games (resulting in a decade of crappy Star Wars-games)

No matter the details of the license-deal, one thing always remains the same:

The work created under the license is the license-holder intellectual property, not the original copyright owners.
    Therefor the license-holder owns the copyright of HIS work created under the license.

It also means the original copyright-owner can not control the content created under the license. Once the license is given, the license-holder can do wiht whatever he wants (within the scope of works covered in the license)

Nickelodeon has the copyright to Prodigy, even though it exist under a Star Trek license from Paramount.
    To use it in a game, you'd need 2 licenses from different companies:
    1. A Star Trek license from Paramount (necessary to publish any Star Trek game in the first place)
    2. A Prodigy license from Nickelodeon (to include the Protostar in your Star Trek game)

Crypic has the first, if they had the 2nd, the could use it any way they see fit, including putting it in a lockbox, and Nickelodeon couldn't do a thing about it.

Technically, in theory Nickelodeon can exert a certain amount of control by refusing to issue a license unless certain requirements are met, such as an agreement to do or not do particular things with the material that is provisionally licensed, or some variant of that. Depending on what it is it may or may not stand up in court if challenged, but it is possible to layer in all sorts of conditions into one of those if the licensing party gets creative about it.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    edited August 2023

The game's ESRB rating (T) was stated to be the issue, not its monetization model, with Cryptic needing to build new corporate relations with Nick adding additional time and uncertainty about collaboration (Cryptic had to make a fresh case that working together would be worthwhile for Nick, with that needing evaluation and discussion at the pace an old MMO demands). Source: Ten Forward Weeklies.

People in the community *speculated* that lock boxes could be an issue (though Nickelodeon has run physical loot boxes themselves...) but no one with actual knowledge of the situation ever stated it was the boxes that were a problem. Nickelodeon didn't talk about it, Cryptic didn't talk about it. Our only source has been Kael and he's only referred to STO's T rating being a sticking point.

Loot box aversion is reasonable (especially with how we're seeing protostar weapon packs as event items rather than underpinning a prodigy themed loot box) but it's worth emphasizing that we never had this confirmed from any reputable source. A good guess is still just a guess, and at this point we may STILL see the Protostar in a promo box. Cryptic deciding to do something different with gear is a still viable alternative hypothesis (for explaining the current event rewards) to Nickeldeon setting conditions for how content is sold. So don't get your hopes up yet, because we've seen Cryptic be extremely resistant to any argument for putting a popular hero ship in a different format (they are explicitly applying a money first approach, to hell with any other human consideration) and Nickelodeon may not view Prodigy as something they need to cultivate like their other IP. Check their website, it's not listed among *their* shows.

Why wasn't the Enterprise-G included in the museum?

It's not in our timeline. The Enterprise in service is the F. You can headcanon this as the Enterprise F being fixed after the events of Picard and the Titan-A not being renamed, if season 3 occurred in STO's timeline at all.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    Okay. Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,870 Arc User
    edited August 2023
    Okay. Thanks for the response.

NP! The ENT-G was what caused as much of a firm split between timelines as we're likely to see. That won't keep Cryptic from incorporating characters/events/content from Picard and any follow up series. It'll just be massaged into our timeline, making integrations as close as possible. Ie. we may someday see the Titan-A in the fleet museum once its established in STO (and if they have the time to update the museum. It's a relatively low-priority event.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User

I think the complicating factor is that it was a joint venture with Nickelodeon, which means having to negotiate with Nickelodeon. Paramount would probably greenlight it instantly, but Nickelodeon might not.
    The fact we're getting a set with the next event that references Prodigy does give hope though for more Prodigy content.

So this suggests to me that we really are waiting for how Season Two is distributed. And that the legalese of that agreement doesn't interfere with the consumer products side of licensing. We would need another Protostar-class (as our season one hero ship was destroyed) to appear in season two to free that design up going forward. And for events of season one to get honorable mention somewhere in season two...for story plot points to be borrowed for STO.

/Janeway Facepalms
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
This discussion has been closed.