test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game Will Not Launch Without -console

Is this a common problem? For the last several years, I have been unable to launch the game (whether from the Arc launcher or the desktop) without adding -console to the command line.
I've been through three computers, Windows XP, 7, 8.1, and 10, and several reinstalls of the game, and still I have to include -console on the command line or it just will not launch.
--

Coffee, chocolate, bacon, and phasers. What more do I need?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,482 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    What do you mean by it will not launch? Can you be more specific? I personally don't have this problem but a different one where if one uses Arc, one gets stuck at the Cryptic screen and does not move. Standalone launcher solves that problem.

Also, in the Options menu of the launcher have you turned off On Demand Patching, turned on Force Verify, let it patch, and tried again?
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    yinepuhotepgamesyinepuhotepgames Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    By "will not launch" I mean that SOMETIMES it goes to the Cryptic screen (but without the loading progress bar), but more often it will either go to a black screen or return to the Arc launcher (if I use the Arc launcher) as if I hadn't attempted to launch at all.

As for your other questions, given that I've gone through three computers, four different versions of Windows, and multiple re-installs, I've tried all those ineffective solutions.
    --

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,482 Arc User
    > @yinepuhotepgames said:
    > By "will not launch" I mean that SOMETIMES it goes to the Cryptic screen (but without the loading progress bar), but more often it will either go to a black screen or return to the Arc launcher (if I use the Arc launcher) as if I hadn't attempted to launch at all.
    >
    > As for your other questions, given that I've gone through three computers, four different versions of Windows, and multiple re-installs, I've tried all those ineffective solutions.

Have you tried running STO in Safe Mode? As for the black screen or the Cryptic loading screen's bar not moving, that can be resolved by using the standalone launcher not the Arc one.
    Also, if you do reinstall STO you have to make sure that On Demand Patching is still off since by default it is on when STO is first installed. To be fair, in your opening post you never said that you had tried these solutions. I am sorry that they were of no help to you. :(
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    yinepuhotepgamesyinepuhotepgames Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    Is there some launcher that DOES NOT involve launching the game directly from the Windows Desktop, as I mentioned in my original post?

I was pretty sure I'd tried launching in Safe Mode, but I tried it again after you reminded me, and got the same outcome.

Yes, I have On Demand Patching set to off. In fact, it's one of the first things I do when doing a clean install of the game.

Regardless of what I do, though, unless I use -console when I launch it, it still goes either to a black screen or the Cryptic loading screen with no loading bar.
    --

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,526 Arc User
    One kludge is to bring up Task Manager, launch the game via ARC as normal, then if it hangs on a black screen kill it via the Manager. Then, immediately relaunch the game via ARC and it should work. The downside is that it is not a permanent fix and you have to do it every time it hangs on the black screen (which can be every time you launch it at the worst, though it varies from patch to patch).
  • Options
    leoclarkleoclark Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    Hey uninstall ARC and then Reinstall it. THe problem is that there is a missing file that is ".dll". I had to do that inorder to get the ARC launcher and STO to work on my computer. If you have NVME drive on the computer for some reason files love to go corrupt on it and cause alot of issues. It seems that there is always a ".dll" file issue lately with the more modern hardware set ups compared to the old fashioned hardrive.