test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Launcher still running in background after game exit

I've noticed these past few days, I think after the latest patch, that when I launch the game from the launcher, Play the game, Exit the game, the Launcher is still running in the background preventing me from relaunching the game unless I force the Launcher to close using the Steam [ X Stop ] button.

Steps I take launching the game:
Loading the game via Steam or Steam shortcut Icon
Launcher appears, click on "Engage" the Launcher disappears from a Foreground App to a Background App

Viewing Task Manager is where I'm seeing the Game Launcher Running (5 times) after the game has been closed.

Anyone else having this happen?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    splattysplatty Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    Yes, I posted a comment about it in the launcher updating looping thread. In Win11 it also sometimes leaves an icon in the system tray you can not interact with. Or like right now, I actually have two icons and several threads running as I needed to relaunch the game.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,266 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    Yeah I've had this happen to me once, also for some odd reason Discord is detecting Neverwinter when I launch STO even though I never had nor do I currently have Neverwinter in any shape or form.
  • Options
    stlheestlhee Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    Same here, yes.
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    I'm having this problem for the last few days I'm on win 10 i think it might of started after last patch but am not sure about that. I logged out of the game to do some jobs and left my computer on. when i came back 1hourish later and tried to start the game i get a pop up from steam saying Error Star Trek online already running. So its not just taking a bit of time to stop running its just not stopping correctly.
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,343 Community Moderator
    /moved
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    alienfrombeyondalienfrombeyond Member Posts: 141 Arc User
    I am also seeing this on Windows 10. I've been manually ending the tasks through the task manager to resolve it but it is quite annoying to do after every daily log in.
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,022 Arc User
    It might be best to try launching the game from outside of Steam.

Have a look for the following file and make a shortcut, perhaps on your desktop
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Trek Online\Star Trek Online.exe"

(It might be in a different location if you installed Steam somewhere other than the default location, or if your Steam library is located on a different drive.)

Although this doesn't solve the problem, it might be a useful workaround until the problem is fixed.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,369 Arc User
    edited July 2023
    I launch from a desktop icon, not through Steam, under Win11. Currently, every time I try to launch the game I get a "file locked" error. After seeing this thread, I went into Task Manager, where I appear to have a number of Cryptic Game Launcher instances active. I'm currently in the process of closing them all, in hopes I'll be able to launch after that.

Update: Nope, still getting "A file was locked that cannot be opened for writing." Any clues? I really don't want to have to delete and reinstall...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,526 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    I launch from a desktop icon, not through Steam, under Win11. Currently, every time I try to launch the game I get a "file locked" error. After seeing this thread, I went into Task Manager, where I appear to have a number of Cryptic Game Launcher instances active. I'm currently in the process of closing them all, in hopes I'll be able to launch after that.

Update: Nope, still getting "A file was locked that cannot be opened for writing." Any clues? I really don't want to have to delete and reinstall...

If you search your game files for one with a ".lck" suffix does anything come up? Sometimes file locks are done with a file with the same name as the actually locked one but with that different suffix.

Also, if you have OneDrive running it is possible that the file is being locked for synchronization but for some reason the sync is hung up. If you can clear whatever is holding it up, then it should resolve itself. I had a similar problem with ESO and had to make sure the part of the game files it stores in the Documents folder were homed on my machine, not the web, by using the "keep files here" (or called something like that anyway) command in the context menu on the local side files.
  • Options
    scorpwanna#3529 scorpwanna Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    I uninstalled my 3rd party Firewall to test something and the game completely closed. Haven't reinstalled a Firewall yet to test it again. Dunno if that is relevant.