test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

COMMAND THE CONSTITUTION III!

baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,737 Community Moderator
The Constitution III, seen in Star Trek Picard as the Titan-A, is coming this week to the Infinity R&D and Duty Officer Promotion Packs!

https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11545743
GrWzQke.png
Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
----> Contact Customer Support <----
Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,667 Arc User
    Another RD ship. :'(

YAY, said no one ever. :(
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • cmneverwherecmneverwhere Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I would love to know just what the design philosophy behind this ship was.

When looking it over, I dived first for the seating, then the trait and console, as is my preference. Noted the new weapons on the way.

All of these things screamed that turn radius was going to be an issue with this ship, so I perhaps naively assumed it was going to be a battlecruiser with similar turn to the various Galaxy BCs on offer, because why else would you need all that...

And scroll back up to find it's a normal cruiser with a decent (for a cruiser) turn rate and 4/4 weapons for broadside rather than a 5/3 weapon layout and weaker turn rate like I was expecting.

As I said, I'd love to know why the choices here were made, because the ship seems confused. Was it just that too many BCs were released lately, or some lore reason?
  • mariqa#4594 mariqa Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited June 2023

Not the biggest shock this, the main question was always going to be which kind of lockbox/non C-Store way it was going to get released as. So many of the ships from Picard S3 are likely to go this way though I really hope that a 'Shrike' is this years Summer Event Prize (one can dream).
    As I said, I'd love to know why the choices here were made, because the ship seems confused. Was it just that too many BCs were released lately, or some lore reason?
    I think it's due to trying to match out that canonically the Connie-III class is an Exploration focused vessel to what they have decided before. Closest is the Exploration cruiser so they may have gone with that as a 'fit' for what they wanted, it's a fairly OK attempt at doing so. I'd have swapped the Pilot/MW specializations and have a Pilot Cruiser, which is fitting for both La Forge legacies of Engineer and Pilot but that's a minor nitpick.

Post edited by mariqa#4594 on
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,312 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,980 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    I would love to know just what the design philosophy behind this ship was.

When looking it over, I dived first for the seating, then the trait and console, as is my preference. Noted the new weapons on the way.

All of these things screamed that turn radius was going to be an issue with this ship, so I perhaps naively assumed it was going to be a battlecruiser with similar turn to the various Galaxy BCs on offer, because why else would you need all that...

And scroll back up to find it's a normal cruiser with a decent (for a cruiser) turn rate and 4/4 weapons for broadside rather than a 5/3 weapon layout and weaker turn rate like I was expecting.

There was a stream last night where Jonathan went on at some length about his design philosophy with the C3. Link below to segment.
    https://www.youtube.com/live/HpGv11W1laU?feature=share&t=2270

TL/DR: it absolutely wouldn't have been a 5/3 because nothing in the show suggested it was a battlecruiser. Other ships Cryptic has some latitude to create what they want for pure gameplay but here they had a full season worth of footage and explicit dialog characterizing the ship. They're selling the ship *per* that characterization and that is going to be paramount (no pun intended) in design. A more nimble (pilot) science-leaning cruiser with some tanking ability (MW) was the optimal path to follow from the show. That's then massaged into what they think will be a fun and synergistic set of stats. It's a long and very carefully considered process balancing on-screen presentation with STO gameplay.

I'm *actually* slightly temped by R&D packs getting cheaper and coming with advanced console materials. There's utility in those now and in the first few weeks getting all the advanced consoles you need for every character is going to be a major grind (especially if you want materials for a elite queue that doesn't get traction with the general zeitgeist). The incredibly small chance for a ship's just a weak bonus to me, which is a much better dynamic to play with here than "here's junk that's just papering over a pure gambling package."

Once the market saturates that dynamic isn't going to hold, but for the short term this isn't in *too* bad of a place (ie. R&D packs being desirable just for the R&D pack).
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    Can't say I'm thrilled about it being promo pack, but honestly the ship's stats exceeded my hopes--cloak I thought was a reasonable possibility, battle cloak did not occur to me. Slap a T6-X token on, and this ship will more than meet my minimums.

Currently saving up all the EC I can in the hope at least one will turn up on the Exchange; failing that, I will happily choose it as my reward in next year's event campaign. Gotta say, this is the first promo ship I've found exciting enough to go to this much trouble for since the T6 classic Connie. Bravo, Cryptic. Sincere thanks for making this beautiful ship mechanically worth flying.
  • megas#5499 megas Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Another 4/4 Miracle Worker cruiser...pass.
  • fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    . . . .
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,788 Arc User
    While I do like the ship's design, as a Sci-Magic / Torpedo Boat player, this is about as close to the opposite of useful as a ship can get for me. I had money set aside to get it but after seeing its stats, I am going to have to pass since I would never use it.

Looks nice for Beam Boat players. I do question the 4/4 Broadside design paired with Narrow-Angle Beams, though.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    So... I have one still packed up. Today's patch notes say the ship should be bigger than it currently is in-game. I just saw one, and it was rather small, similar in size to the original Enterprise.

How big will this ship be after maintenance? Comparable to a Sovereign or an Odyssey?
  • mariqa#4594 mariqa Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    Based on canon info, the Connie-III is 560.5m in length. Compared to the Galaxy at 641m and TOS Connie at 288.6m
    So should be a bit smaller than a Galaxy. No where near the Sovereign at 685m and no where near the Oddy at 1,061.1m.
  • fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 5,051 Arc User
    Based on canon info, the Connie-III is 560.5m in length. Compared to the Galaxy at 641m and TOS Connie at 288.6m
    So should be a bit smaller than a Galaxy. No where near the Sovereign at 685m and no where near the Oddy at 1,061.1m.

Thanks.

I hope they'll make it a bit bigger than in the show then. :p
  • bwbriscoebwbriscoe Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    Apologies for my ignorance...but how do I get the Connie III?
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,170 Arc User
    bwbriscoe wrote: »
    Apologies for my ignorance...but how do I get the Connie III?

Read the blog at the start of this thread
    So, let me get this straight. I've just bought four lots of R&D boxes (16 in total) and not one of them had the ship in it.. (just lobi crystals). It's a lottery as to whether you get the ship or not...?!
    So, let me get this straight. I've just bought four lots of R&D boxes (16 in total) and not one of them had the ship in it.. (just lobi crystals). It's a lottery as to whether you get the ship or not...?!

Welcome to the world of lock boxes. You are not guaranteed the ship on opening one box. might take a couple of hundred. Other players it might take 10. It's all to do with luck.
    eazzie wrote: »

Welcome to the world of lock boxes. You are not guaranteed the ship on opening one box. might take a couple of hundred. Other players it might take 10. It's all to do with luck.

Wow, that's ludicrous. Forces you to waste money (that I don't have!) to try and get the ship. I can see others have it in game and I've just wasted £60 on buying lock boxes with no effect.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,762 Arc User
    eazzie wrote: »

Wow, that's ludicrous. Forces you to waste money (that I don't have!) to try and get the ship. I can see others have it in game and I've just wasted £60 on buying lock boxes with no effect.

The other way to get it is to use the premium ship token from the event campaign, though you have to use the one from the year AFTER the ship comes out and not this year's token. With the token there is no gamble, you simply select it from the list-tree you are presented with when "using" the box.

It may also be possible to buy it off the EC exchange, though that is iffy (and the price may be too high to use the exchange at all even if the box is tradeable).
    edited June 2023
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,762 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    (Flaming, trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

There actually is a chance to get a neo connie from the pack, it just is not good odds by any stretch. R&D packs are not quite as dismal as the odds for elite phoenix tokens, but it is considerably worse than regular lockbox odds and seems to be meant to price the ships at around Mudd's Market three-digit "regular" prices to wring as much cash out of potentially most popular ships as possible.
    How do I get the Neo-Connie now the R&D pack promotion is over?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,447 Community Moderator
    How do I get the Neo-Connie now the R&D pack promotion is over?

Either wait for the next Promo event, hope to the Great Bird of the Galaxy you can afford one off the Exchange, or wait for next year's event campaign.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    I don't think it's been released on the exchange yet has it?
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,312 Arc User
    I don't think it's been released on the exchange yet has it?
    It'll only be on the Exchange if other players have listed it.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
    As it's not on the Exchange, I assume there's no way to get hold of it at the moment?
    As it's not on the Exchange, I assume there's no way to get hold of it at the moment?

As @inferiority has already stated ONLY if players put it on the exchange.
This discussion has been closed.