test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What old content would you like to see restored/revamped?

serioushughieserioushughie Member Posts: 10 Arc User
I'll admit, as somebody who pre-purchased Star Trek Online and played at game launch, I've no doubt I look back on the early years of the game through rose-tinted nostalgia goggles. While the game has made leaps and bounds in the thirteen years since then - ships, mechanics, graphics, stories, voice acting and all-round quality of life - there are times where I long for the content from yesteryear.

Now, the newest mission, 'Wish Upon A Star', felt like the most 'Trek' story we've had in a long time. A lot of it was devoted to science shenanigans and in the combat stages we were actually shooting to disable rather than see how far we could push the limitations of the Geneva Convention/Khitomer Accords. I realise that the older missions - including entire story arcs that have since been cut from the game - couldn't manage this because of the gameplay limitations in the early game. However, as we are currently waiting for the Fed-Klingon War story arc to be revamped (which I hope happens soon, seeing as the FIRST episode new Fed players experience is currently unfinished), perhaps we can hold out hope that they will return with a mix of classic STO vibes while also taking advantage of newer game mechanics and design philosophy and deliver a great 'Star Trek' experience.

With that in mind, is there any old content that YOU would like to see return to the game, probably with a revamp? For me personally, I'd love to see Exploration Clusters return in some way (ideally without the Third Borg Dynasty), but to be honest I'd even settle for just the diplomatic/First Contact missions and make up for the rest by making the Alpha/Beta quadrant patrols replayable more than once per toon.

I also think it would be great to see the cut Cardassian Struggle missions make a revamped return. I always thought that the True Way was an interesting faction but I don't think the current Cardassian Struggle arc does them much justice.

Obviously the Foundry was retired, despite the devs' best efforts to keep it running for as long as possible, so I'm going to ignore that sad story in this case (as wonderful as it would be to have it back again).
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    I wouldn't mind exploring the artifacts of the 9th borg Dynasty
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    kurtronkurtron Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    I mean, let's start with the Klingon War missions they've been promising to revamp for almost 5 years now...

For the record, it's 3rd Borg Dynasty. And yea, that could be something cool to explore.
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    For me there are 3 things i would like to see returned to the game after all these years.
    1- Terradome, that was an epic group mission.
    2- The Guardian Of Forever, don't care if its a revamp of old or even something new for us as long as we get to see it again.
    3- The Salt Vampire mission. That was fun. And having them maybe appear during the Sompek TFO doesn't quite cut it..
  • Options
    dragon#2626 dragon Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    I got into the game in late 2017, Having said that, only thing that comes to mind is the missing Klingon War missions. As it stands, that arc is barely even coherent.
    I swim through a sea of stars. . . .
  • Options
    fred26291#2759 fred26291 Member Posts: 1,274 Arc User
    edited June 2023
    . . . .
    Post edited by fred26291#2759 on
  • Options
    corerunner#1772 corerunner Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    Maybe not too old but integration of the Defari and lost 2800 and for TOS captains a separate story arc for a reworked Specters. And for the Dominion maybe add a Vanguard Vorta style character to expand the Dominion a bit.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,799 Arc User
    I would like the Old Klingon War missions to return, However as for Revamps

1. I'll revamp New Romulus, having to double 2 missions is a pain, the video stuff should have been part of the same mission so you don't have to repeat them,

2. I'll then revamp the Dyson Sphere Arc, I'll remove that Awful "Tower Control" mission since you need to be level 65 and have a T6 ship to complete it,

3. Then I'll revamp the Delta Quadrant Arc, it's too long and filled with pointless Filler Content, I'll remove "Friends in Unlikely Places", "Enemies in All the Usual Places", "Know your Enemies", "Better with Friends" and "Taking care of Enemies".
  • Options

1. I'll revamp New Romulus, having to double 2 missions is a pain, the video stuff should have been part of the same mission so you don't have to repeat them,

2. I'll then revamp the Dyson Sphere Arc, I'll remove that Awful "Tower Control" mission since you need to be level 65 and have a T6 ship to complete it,

3. Then I'll revamp the Delta Quadrant Arc, it's too long and filled with pointless Filler Content, I'll remove "Friends in Unlikely Places", "Enemies in All the Usual Places", "Know your Enemies", "Better with Friends" and "Taking care of Enemies".

IMO the only way to truly fix the Delta Quadrant arc is to not force the player to help the bloody Kobali.
  • Options

IMO the only way to truly fix the Delta Quadrant arc is to not force the player to help the bloody Kobali.

Guess we could do that too, I mean the Kobali missions are skippable unless you're playing as a Delta Recruit or a Temporal Agent, where doing them is the only way to claim the Delta Arc.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,428 Community Moderator

You don't actually have to do those missions twice. You can turn them in before leaving the map, and run the video while you're still there, thus eliminating having to run it twice just to do the video part.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    You don't actually have to do those missions twice. You can turn them in before leaving the map, and run the video while you're still there, thus eliminating having to run it twice just to do the video part.

I know, but it would better if it was more streamlined, I only made the mistake once of repeating them, I quickly learned not do it after that first time.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,539 Arc User

I know, but it would better if it was more streamlined, I only made the mistake once of repeating them, I quickly learned not do it after that first time.

Yes, the fix would be to eliminate the second missions since they're no longer needed for the reputation, and just add watching the video as one of the objectives for the main missions.
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,793 Arc User
    For me there are 3 things i would like to see returned to the game after all these years.
    2- The Guardian Of Forever, don't care if its a revamp of old or even something new for us as long as we get to see it again.
    3- The Salt Vampire mission. That was fun. And having them maybe appear during the Sompek TFO doesn't quite cut it..

All of this and the one where we went to Terok Nor where the gas could turn your Bridge Officers against you. :D SO MUCH FUN!!!
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,539 Arc User
    I was just playing the Borg fluidic space episode on a new character and I vaguely remembered there being a fluidic space TFO back in 2012. I don't even remember whether it was fun, but it was an interesting setting.
  • Options
    jcsww wrote: »

All of this and the one where we went to Terok Nor where the gas could turn your Bridge Officers against you. :D SO MUCH FUN!!!

Have to pass on that last one. I deeply hate such mechanics.
  • Options
    darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,732 Community Moderator
    For me I want to see the Salt Vampire TFO come back along with Klingon Scout Force and Starbase 24. Those missions were extremely fun way back when. That Salt Vampire TFO could get super intense at times if one of the teams didn't know what they were doing. Even then if you just had bad luck of the draw on certain spawns it could be nasty. Still that was some of the most fun ground combat in the game imo. Terradome was another one that was great, along with some of the earlier stuff that first pointed towards the iconians.

I didn't do the exploration clusters alot but they were fun while in the game.

For me though, I still want my actual Typhoon class. Calling one of the command ships the Typhoon just doesn't cut it for me.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,884 Arc User
    Starbase 24 was fun. I'd also like to see that being made available again.

And yes, exploration clusters. I don't care that the stories made no sense, it was randomised and thus more-enjoyable-to-replay-content that involved some exploration without the fate of the galaxy all galaxies combined in all possible timelines and alternate realities being at stake.

Lastly, I wish they'd expand the New Romulus and Dyson ground maps. There is a lot of unused potential there.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    edited May 2023

And yes, exploration clusters. I don't care that the stories made no sense, it was randomised and thus more-enjoyable-to-replay-content that involved some exploration without the fate of the galaxy all galaxies combined in all possible timelines and alternate realities being at stake.

Lastly, I wish they'd expand the New Romulus and Dyson ground maps. There is a lot of unused potential there.

Hopefully New Romulus with a city, town or village, with an academy of their own, a Temporal Defense building, a New Romulus Prison, also PIC added a bit more to Romulan culture like polygamy (Nice, my Romulan can have 2 wives), warrior monks (so a monastery building too), Zhat Vash (technophobic branch of the Tal Shiar, would've probably fired Hakeev for his borg implant alone), Plus an Elevator to the Reman district, OK, I think covered everything New Romulus needs.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,884 Arc User

Hopefully New Romulus with a city, town or village, with an academy of their own, a Temporal Defense building, a New Romulus Prison, also PIC added a bit more to Romulan culture like polygamy (Nice, my Romulan can have 2 wives), warrior monks (so a monastery building too), Zhat Vash (technophobic branch of the Tal Shiar, would've probably fired Hakeev for his borg implant alone), Plus an Elevator to the Reman district, OK, I think covered everything New Romulus needs.

Maybe more cities on the other islands too?

Right now the entire Romulan homeworld is basically just one island. With their luck (which they don't believe in, but anyway) an asteroid will hit there.

And we still need that see that large predatory animal which the Heralds used in one of the lore blogs.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Divide et Impera >:)
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    jcsww wrote: »

Have to pass on that last one. I deeply hate such mechanics.

Then don't play it! Just because you don't like something doesn't mean others should be able to enjoy it.
  • Options
    Divide et Impera >:)

Before my time, but isn't that the one where you're basically forced to be an idiot?
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    No, that was the one where you were forced to commit a war crime - forced to be an idiot is basically half the missions in the game.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    How I miss being able to vaporize Tribble piles! This could literally be turned into an event where every few months, Captain's... ell, Fleet Admiral's run around vaporizing Tribble piles to help control the Tribble population.
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,622 Arc User
    edited May 2023

but you have to learn that the hard way. they should at least put that "there are non completed tasks" warning before you leave

under New Romulus Revamp, add some non-essential missions, a separate arc or two even, where you EXPLORE. maybe you have a goal of climbing a mountain, and it's essentially a maze to get to the top, or have a large map where you have to find critters or artifacts, preferably WITHOUT killing them. an episode where you help scout out the site for another colony. that could be 3 stages, scanning from your ship, flyover in a shuttle then a ground survey. again, WITHOUT killing
    and each stage of the exploration missions could grant an accolade.

speaking of accolades, if they could revamp THOSE. I don't think it's possible to get the accolades on Risa involving Pavel, and with changes to Paradise Lost, there are Nimbus accolades no longer possible
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,622 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    IIRC Cryptic has stated on several occasions they will not be creating any further adventure zones, nor would they be adding to any of the existing ones.

they also said on many occasions No end game Constitutions. Times, minds and leadership changes
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User

^^ This. The Delta Rising missions clearly only had 1 main purpose: to slow ppl down, as Cryptic didn't want us to progress too fast (from 50 to 65). I still have traumas from it. :p Seriously, let's revamp them, so the arc becomes enjoyable, this time.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    kaosbainkaosbain Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    I miss the mission that told the story of Thomas Riker. It was a little tragic, and the mission it self was a bit annoying destroying those turrets, but it was a conclusion to a character that to me was interesting. I don't know with the mission no longer playable, if a new story of Thomas Riker will be made eventually, even with voice over, but it would be nice.
This discussion has been closed.