What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The new character select screen background

2»

Comments

• Options
    misachii87misachii87 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    My solution would be to unlock all the old screens to select from, like the previous one was esd, which did look strange for klings ect.
    this way we could custumize for each our characters a good background that fits that character, you know like an rpg or something.
  • Options
    cambera#8319 cambera Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    jonsills wrote: »
    I like it, personally. And as has been pointed out, it changes every season, so if you don't like it, just wait, it'll change.

If I have to wait a whole year for this to change then I will have probably left the game.

The length ppl go to, to find fault with the game, is astounding. :(
    The fact that characters are lost in the shadows and the ships guillotined at the top, shows that this was not properly tested.

Ships arent 'guillotined at the top.' You merely have a TRIBBLE computer, it seems. Ship is positioned slightly above the middle, at a near perfect golden ratio (see image I posted aove).

EDIT: Seems some ships actually are, according to the patch notes.
    Please allow a choice of backgrounds, or the ability to "switch it off" and have "No Background". This choice IS available at both the Tailor and at the Ship Tailor.

Please, Cryptic, don't waste time on this. If y'all want to undo something, get rid of the new email 'auction' system. Background is fine.

Please can you actually get your facts in place before flaming somebody or their computer. I actually love this game, but you don't play a game if it triggers you.

I get it that you feel there is a need defend Cryptic from the community, but please point out anything in my original post that isn't constructive, or simply pointing out an issue.

There WAS a suggestion that it hadn't been properly tested. This is borne out by the fact that vessels were incorrectly positioned on screen.

There is no attack on anything, not even the image. You like the image, great, me it literally gives a headache.

I ask you - if you know that something you interact with will give you a headache, are you going to voluntarily continue to use the system or are you going to avoid it?
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,340 Community Moderator
    I suggest that everyone remain civil to one another. Thank you.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    Yeah...the 'old' background of standing on ESD with your ship in the window was so much nicer than the current 'colored vomit' background.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Unbeknownst to me, but no doubt beknownst to Cryptic, you can apparently use your scroll wheel to zoom in/out on your login screen:

4dbejamqsl1y.png
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I've been able to do that for a long time.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    I will say one thing positive about the new login screen..

At least I don't have to look at it for very long.

That's all I have.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    Yeah, i'm not a fan of the new screen. I get the idea behind it, it just doesn't work for me (personally) as well as some of the older screens did.
  • Options
    One particular pet peeve of mine, while we're talking character selection screen: my Captain is rarely wearing her current outfit. It's mostly some seemingly random one (or the outfit is picked and under certain conditions I am unaware of). In case of my Captain being in her Colony outfit (above), that just happened to be the one she was wearing, for a change. But most of the time, it's just a completely random selection from the many outfits I have.

Nothing earth-shattering, really, but while they're at it, might as well fix that too.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,265 Arc User
    One particular pet peeve of mine, while we're talking character selection screen: my Captain is rarely wearing her current outfit. It's mostly some seemingly random one (or the outfit is picked and under certain conditions I am unaware of). In case of my Captain being in her Colony outfit (above), that just happened to be the one she was wearing, for a change. But most of the time, it's just a completely random selection from the many outfits I have.

Nothing earth-shattering, really, but while they're at it, might as well fix that too.

What I've noticed that if I'm in my ship it's the outfit that's first in my outfit list (MACO armor in my case)
  • Options
    edited May 2023

Please can you actually get your facts in place before flaming somebody or their computer. I actually love this game, but you don't play a game if it triggers you.

Please, can you actually read what I wrote?! Only a few minutes after I made my post, I edited it, to add:
    EDIT: Seems some ships actually are, [having these issues] according to the patch notes.

I only left my initial comment, out of correctness, as it were.
    I get it that you feel there is a need defend Cryptic from the community,

Hahaha, this was hilarious. BMR would feel differenty. o:) I've had many a post commented out for being too vicious towards Cryptic. :# But thanks for the laugh.
    but please point out anything in my original post that isn't constructive, or simply pointing out an issue.

No need: I had already acknowledged there was indeed an issue for some people.
    I ask you - if you know that something you interact with will give you a headache, are you going to voluntarily continue to use the system or are you going to avoid it?

In all honesty, while I like the pretty colors, the character selection screen is nowhere near important enough to me to lose any sleep over. And I will certainly 'voluntarily continue to use the system.'
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    spiritborn wrote: »

What I've noticed that if I'm in my ship it's the outfit that's first in my outfit list (MACO armor in my case)

Interesting. Thx. My Colony outfit certainly isn't the first on my outfit list, though. In fact, it's the last. So, maybe it sorts on given outfit name? Or last modified? Will do some more testing.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Interesting. Thx. My Colony outfit certainly isn't the first on my outfit list, though. In fact, it's the last. So, maybe it sorts on given outfit name? Or last modified? Will do some more testing.

I can confirm that if you are not on a ground map, it will default to the very first uniform slot. In my case for my main its a Sierra 1 uniform.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    rattler2 wrote: »

I can confirm that if you are not on a ground map, it will default to the very first uniform slot. In my case for my main its a Sierra 1 uniform.

Good call! ;) Because that does indeed appear to be the case. When on ground, I do get the current outfit; but, in space, the outfit from the first slot. Mystery solved. B)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    Personally, I like the pretty colors (which I guess are supposed to be warp flashes against a nebula judging from the group of ships flying out when the Login Screen first appears). I can understand why other people may not like it. I suggest an option to select your Login Screen to any of the previously available sets. Then people can use whatever they enjoy seeing.

Is that what causes that? I had frequently wondered why my Liberated Borg was occasionally in a uniform instead of having the assimilated body. That makes sense, now: she did not have the Lobi suit when she was first created.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,780 Arc User
    I'm glad consoles doesn't have this login screen, the faction bases suit them better, I would probably save this Login screen for when we get a Kitomer Alliance faction.
  • Options
    jslyn wrote: »
    Is that what causes that? I had frequently wondered why my Liberated Borg was occasionally in a uniform instead of having the assimilated body. That makes sense, now: she did not have the Lobi suit when she was first created.

Yup. If you want your Borg bodyarmor when you're not on the ground you're going to have to edit your first outfit slot.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    well, if the character devs are reading, I think if you chose a male and female from the staff and used their likenesses, making EVERY character appear on the character select screen as those two for April first would Hilarious. either that or a random opposite gender. something. the hilarity of people losing their minds would be well worth it
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    nixie50 wrote: »
    well, if the character devs are reading, I think if you chose a male and female from the staff and used their likenesses, making EVERY character appear on the character select screen as those two for April first would Hilarious. either that or a random opposite gender. something. the hilarity of people losing their minds would be well worth it

Better, the Dance Instructors from Risa. >:)B):D
  • Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,474 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    > Making everyone and their crew into Kurland would be worse.

Kurland here and here and here.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Is there any chance to get the old backgrounds back? Trying to be kind, but the new one looks terrible. Was this something that really needed to be changed?

Please revert this change. Thank you.

I get they want to keep the game feeling "fresh". Changing the Selection screen background is an easy way to do that. In the case of the new "Nebula" background, they stumbled a bit in execution, in my opinion, by hovering the Character's Ship in deep space and not centered in the Nebula. It really just doesn't look right as published.

• Options
    azyurionazyurion Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited May 2023
    To each their own. What exactly are our characters supposed to be standing on now? Open space?

Speaking of which, I remember when the game used to glitch and your avatar was actually in space, not your ship skin.

Ah, the good old days :)
  • Options
    jslyn wrote: »

Yup. If you want your Borg bodyarmor when you're not on the ground you're going to have to edit your first outfit slot.

Come to think of it, I just realized what the cause of this is. On ground, the game logs you in with your current outfit. In space, however, you have no outfit: you simply are the ship! Another way of saying this, is that in space your outfit is the ship (which is already shown).

Simon: "Well, my sister is a ship. We had a complicated childhood."
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    Making everyone and their crew into Kurland would be worse.

Or just make everyone Sulu - so when someone asks 'Where's Sulu?', a smartass Jeff Dunham connoisseur can reply "Over there, over there and up there."​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.