Install Arc
Options

Neo Constitution

13»

Comments

• Options
    jslynjslyn Member Posts: 1,784 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    During that era, the most advanced ship the UESPA had to offer was the NX-class. After the formation of the Federation, and the founding of the interspecies Starfleet, they developed the Daedalus-class, which looks like a dwarf version of the Discovery One from the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey. So a ship of such advanced design as the Shangri-La-class wouldn't make sense for that era, or indeed for any period prior to DSC (when it would have been a bleeding-edge design, an experiment that might not prove out, much like the original Connies).

Haaaaave you met my good Tholian? He'll send you a ship to any Era.

That aside, I get the Lore reasoning. I'd just like the old-school style Skin for a Neo-Constitution. ((Hopefully, I could keep it. I have lost two Promo Ships, most recently the 32c Crossfield. Just go to use them one day and they are gone. The Skins vanish along with them. At least I get to keep the Traits. I liked that Crossfield's Saucer Skin. Pity.))
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    Well... the Connie-III would probably devolve into the Shangri-La class rather than go full TOS retro.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    What I want to know is how is the Luna class the middle ground there? What was the design philosophy behind that lineage decision? One of these things is not like the others.
  • Options
    jslyn wrote: »
    What I want to know is how is the Luna class the middle ground there? What was the design philosophy behind that lineage decision? One of these things is not like the others.

I don't think it initially was. Just in the case of the Titan-A using parts from the previous Titan. There really isn't any design lineage across the Enterprises other than maybe the BASIC hull configuration.
    So it was basically
    1. Shangri-La class
    2. Luna class
    3. Constitution-III class
    for the name history of the Titan.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    morrow#1528 morrow Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    In all things that came true in STO from Ships, to Uniforms and Devices etc I heard rumours that a Neo Constitution is soon coming to Space Dock. Hoping she fits to the Constitution Class Variant selection when buying a new ship. Most fans and players would say "should get the Neo Constitution & Shangri-La Class as a Bundle" or "Lobi Crystal" ship for 900 lobi. Although the Shangri-La is a 23rd century heavy cruiser under the Command of Savvik namely call the USS Titan which was the Flag ship before the Enterprise B in 2293, I think it be great to have her in the game also and the Neo Constitution in the C-store to join the collection of Constitution variants rather than the Promo lock box.

Then again you can have the Neo Constitution, Intrepid, Sagan and Excelsior II in a special bundle all together with a expensive price 26,000 Zen or wait till they come as Promo lock boxes. The Sagan and Excelsior II are already in the promo lock boxes some can be sold at the exchange for a stupidly high cost. but we defiantly need a few new lobi crystal ships and devices like summon a Voth Cyber Rex etc.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,340 Community Moderator
    /merged threads
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I don't think it initially was. Just in the case of the Titan-A using parts from the previous Titan. There really isn't any design lineage across the Enterprises other than maybe the BASIC hull configuration.
    So it was basically
    1. Shangri-La class
    2. Luna class
    3. Constitution-III class
    for the name history of the Titan.

Fair enough.

What happened to the Luna Titan that required such an extensive overhaul? I never really got into the Star Trek books (although I've read a handful of them). If it was explained there, I haven't heard about it.

• Options
    jslyn wrote: »
    Fair enough.

What happened to the Luna Titan that required such an extensive overhaul? I never really got into the Star Trek books (although I've read a handful of them). If it was explained there, I haven't heard about it.

Don't know. Its possible she was heavily damaged, and would have been more work to repair. However there just happened to be a brand new Connie-III being built that could use some parts in the next berth over.

If they both used the same model computer core it would make sense to just salvage parts to aid in the construction of a new ship if the old one was too far gone. While its not quite a good comparison, the same thing happened in the anime High School Fleet. The Harekaze sank in Yokosuka harbor after stopping the virus infected Musashi, and by extension saving the world from being infected. While the student crew of the Harekaze were trying to figure out what was going to happen to them, a new ship was being built. Same class of Destroyer as the Harekaze. However... having access to the Harekaze's hull allowed them to get parts to finish the Okikaze ahead of schedule, and the Harekaze crew were presented with the Okikaze, which was soon after renamed Harekaze.
  • Options
    Okay. So, I didn't miss the explanation of the "actual" event that caused the refit. It simply hasn't been stated, yet. If they just salvaged some parts then it sounds like a borderline Ship Of Theseus scenario.

On a side-note, I have never heard of that anime. Was that a computer virus or a literal ship virus? Being anime, it could go either way.
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    Biological actually. The crew were infected with a virus that made them act like drones. Turned out one of the ways to suppress it was to expose the infected individual to seawater, as the crew of the Harekaze learned when one of their own was thrown overboard after going berserk. An actual cure was developed though. One of the ways Harekaze inadvertantly avoided getting infected was... they had a cat on board, and they were late to a rally point for training exercises due to engine trouble.

I thought it was going to be one of those schoolgirl slice of life types and wasn't really expecting to watch it all the way through. Turns out it had an actual story and plenty of action. Was a bit more serious than Girls und Panzer at times.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,519 Arc User
    It wouldn't be the first time; the original Constitution class went through the same thing in the conversion to Constitution II class in the 2270s where some of the internal framework and systems were taken and put into what was really a new class of ship as a sort of token continuance.

It might not have even been a damage issue, it could have been considered just an upgrade to a perfectly functional ship otherwise slated for retirement. For the Luna class Titan itself it could even have been a bit of superstition on top of the expediency of reusing parts, essentially an attempt to "transfer the luck" to its successor (which obviously did not work between the TOS Enterprise and its initial Constitution II class namesake), superstition has always a thing in armed services like that despite official denials.
This discussion has been closed.