test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 2 Trailer for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds Released👍

crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."

Comments

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,779 Arc User
    The klingons look good, surprised we got TNG klingons instead of TOS ones, was expecting SNW to reintroduce ridgeless klingons.

Also now that we've seen SNW Federation, SNW Romulans and SNW Klingons, we can get SNW uniforms for all 3 factions in game,

SNW Kirk not knowing how a revolving door works is weird, since I thought Kirk lived in Iowa and grew up on Earth, does Iowa not have revolving doors?
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,034 Community Moderator
    The klingons look good, surprised we got TNG klingons instead of TOS ones, was expecting SNW to reintroduce ridgeless klingons.

Also now that we've seen SNW Federation, SNW Romulans and SNW Klingons, we can get SNW uniforms for all 3 factions in game,

SNW Kirk not knowing how a revolving door works is weird, since I thought Kirk lived in Iowa and grew up on Earth, does Iowa not have revolving doors?

Well... the colors of the Klingon outfits reminded me a bit of TOS Klingon uniforms. Black undershirt with armor over it.

Also we don't know the context for the revolving door thing. Could be Kirk is more of a country boy and he didn't really see any in Iowa. Also they don't have any on starships, and probably don't have any at Starfleet facilities.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    I would think revolving doors had probably been phased out by the 2200s - you don't actually need them with motion-activated sliding doors, and they cause problems during emergencies anyway as they are way too easy to jam.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,801 Arc User
    Can't see the video unfortunately. Just a black screen over at StarTrek.com that will turn blue once I scroll down and let it disappear mostly.

And I'm not even in Australia! We're supposed to be one world by now!
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,779 Arc User
    Can't see the video unfortunately. Just a black screen over at StarTrek.com that will turn blue once I scroll down and let it disappear mostly.

And I'm not even in Australia! We're supposed to be one world by now!

Try YouTube instead, it's where I saw the trailer, I saw it 2 hours after it was uploaded, glad OP posted this before me, I saw the trailer, was about to post a thread about it on here and saw that OP already beat me to it.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,367 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    At least the Klingons look like Klingons again and not that atrocious Discovery weirdness.
    If you want to be that way, TOS Klingons should look like swarthy humans with heavy eyebrows and Fu Manchu facial hair.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,015 Arc User
    edited April 2023
    Can't see the video unfortunately.
    Try YouTube instead...
    Alas, those of us outside the US, and most likely Canada, cannot view the video.
    All this region-locking of content is rather pointless in our interconnected world.
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    If you want to be that way, TOS Klingons should look like swarthy humans with heavy eyebrows and Fu Manchu facial hair.

That would be a fair argument to make if we did not have the Enterprise episode "Affliction". At least to my knowledge, there was never anything in Discovery which explained the radical change in Klingon appearance. To be fair, I did stop watching the show after Michelle Yeoh left, so if it was explained sometime after that, I would not know.
    Should've stayed. They were basically an ethnic group in larger Klingon society, who shaved their heads as a cultural practice. After L'rell reunited the Great Houses, re-establishing the Empire, the head-shaving thing was abandoned.

Also, it was made pretty clear, I thought, that the plague released by Dr. Soong was quarantined by the Empire, meaning that most Klingons in fact did not lose their ridges. One might imagine the smooth-headed ones being assigned to patrol the Federation border as a sign of their dishonor...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    At least the Klingons look like Klingons again and not that atrocious Discovery weirdness.

Reminds me of the line from the song USS Blow S**t Up by Aurelio Voltaire..lol

And what is with the Klingons? Remember, in the day
    They looked like Puerto Ricans and they dressed in gold lamé
    Now they look like heavy metal rockers from the dead
    With leather pants and frizzy hair and lobsters on their heads. :D
  • Options
    You sound like someone whose taste canalized when they were, like, five, and can't admit that anything good has emerged from anywhere at all recently. I mean, you'd think I'd be the grumpy old man who can't stand all this newfangled fooferaw, but nope, you've taken my role.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,513 Arc User
    I would think revolving doors had probably been phased out by the 2200s - you don't actually need them with motion-activated sliding doors, and they cause problems during emergencies anyway as they are way too easy to jam.​​

The purpose of revolving doors is to minimize air exchange between inside and outside a building with a constant stream of people going through them. In Trek, forcefields would do a much better job of that and not bark people's heels if they get the timing wrong and would allow even more people to go through a particular door in any given time period.

Just showing TNG style Klingons instead of a mix is a bit of a disappointment, SNW would be the perfect time to lay the old "ever changing Klingon" thing to rest by showing all the major types of Klingon at the same time and making "Klingon" a matter of nationality and culture instead of just one race. That or just finally acknowledging that they have a number of different offshoots for various reasons and that they are radically different subspecies of the same root genome (of which the TNG type seems to be the most common).

The fact that particular types appeared more in various time periods could be more a matter of internal politics and who held the coveted military positions in the times and areas where each era's conflicts (or other interactions) with the Federation happened than some string of bizarre mutations of their appearance (back and forth even).

The TOS Klingons with their cleverness and slightly more flexible ideas of honor were probably put on the Federation border because humans are relatively charismatic tricksters who the TNG and DSC types seem to have some trouble anticipating the kind of tricks humans (as far back as Archer) used against them in the past.

Then, the Organians secured that border with their imposed neutral zone rules and the initial rush for planets tapered off the Klingon relationship with the Romulans apperently went downhill (eventually leading to the Khitomer massacre) the TOS type could have been rotated to that border to deal with Tal Shiar machinations.