test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Patch Notes for 10/20/22

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,674 Community Manager
edited October 2022 in Release Notes
Greetings Captains!
We will be having a maintenance tomorrow, 10/20 at 7AM Pacific for 2.5 hours. (What time is this for me?)
You can find our patch notes here.

=/\=
We value your feedback and want to help direct it to the right locations. Please check the following link to redirect to the best sub-forums to post your replies.
Experiencing a Gameplay Bug with our latest patch? Please click this link to be taken to our Gameplay Bug Report Section to file your reports.
Thank you for the assistance!
The Star Trek Online Team
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    The patch notes link seems broken, I can access them via the news page but the link here leads to an error page.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    For all those that want to read the notes.

https://playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11528763
  • finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    Is there anything going to be done about firing modes not activating correctly, i.e. going on cooldown without actually giving their benefit? I'm just wondering if this is considered a "known issue".
  • nikkobrisbanenikkobrisbane Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    Might wanna fix the constant lag people keep getting, instead of blaming players internet connection. its funny how other games work fine but STO doesn't. Its getting beyond a joke now guys come on.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    edited October 2022
    Might wanna fix the constant lag people keep getting, instead of blaming players internet connection. its funny how other games work fine but STO doesn't. Its getting beyond a joke now guys come on.

Except that, not everyone experiences constant lag, so it cannot be entirely on Cryptic. I know that I do not experience constant lag with STO or any other Cryptic game. In fact, I hardly notice any lag at all. 🤷‍♀️
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • divinepro#5818 divinepro Member Posts: 1 Arc User

Hmm, I don't know about that, but I am on a fiber internet and never had any constant lag, but the loading is getting even slower, even with fiber.
  • duddutcher#4834 duddutcher Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited October 2022

have to say i dont expirance lag at home, and i even play on a normal work laptop, only at university i get some lag but thats because a lot of peaple use the wifi there, and than its even playable.
    and i just suggest youre happy with what you got and dont yell at others. i used to play other games on my first laptop with 12 fps at most (often lagging to 7 eps when i did something) but it was all i had, i was happy with it and still fond of the memories from those times

btw i love the fact that rift space set comes out again, i mist it when i didnt play for 9 months or so and now i will have all my charachters kitted out with space gear!

• krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    I have noticed a difference in lag, stuttering, and rubber banding between AMD 8 core systems and Intel systems. Other players using fighter squadrons in the same TFO as me, causes my AMD system to stutter, rubber band, and fps drops real bad. when their pets are far away from me the game runs better. If there is multiple players using squadrons the trouble gets worse. I talk to them in chat and their game is running fine. When I ask what system do they run they say they are on either intel or laptops. When I talk to AMD users they describe the exact same experience as me.

I had my settings on max, i went in settings and put everything to default. Which defaulted to max, but for some reason the game ran better. No idea why lol, but still not perfect. Lighting 2.0 also seems to affect fps issues.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    It may be something to do with a specific line of processors or something and not all of a particular brand. For instance, I have an AMD 6300 / Nvidia GTX 1060 based system and the squadrons do not seem to be a problem for me, it is when the VFX vomit gets too bad that the system starts lagging badly.

It could also be the videocard since pre-built AMD and Intel systems tend to come with different GPUs, or even driver version issues.
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    It may be something to do with a specific line of processors or something and not all of a particular brand. For instance, I have an AMD 6300 / Nvidia GTX 1060 based system and the squadrons do not seem to be a problem for me, it is when the VFX vomit gets too bad that the system starts lagging badly.

It could also be the videocard since pre-built AMD and Intel systems tend to come with different GPUs, or even driver version issues.

It could also the way STO engine does certain things, I remember that when Foundry was still a thing one of the authors had bad lag when working with nebula assets but I had no issues, so something how our different graphics cards handled the nebula assets resulted in the very different results.

It's not all that odd to assume that different network hardware would work differently, that we know lag isn't constantly bad for everyone (I for example have little to no lag normally).
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    I think the lag is specific to Cogent. I haven't really had any lag that was bad enough to complain about lately, thankfully. There are maps in the game that can specifically lag out just because the server can't handle it, like the TFO you can have 20 people in. Why that is still in the game... I have no idea.
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    > @jcsww said:
    > I think the lag is specific to Cogent. I haven't really had any lag that was bad enough to complain about lately, thankfully. There are maps in the game that can specifically lag out just because the server can't handle it, like the TFO you can have 20 people in. Why that is still in the game... I have no idea.

I thought it was Akamai?
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    sthe91 wrote: »
    I thought it was Akamai?

Both have been problems in the past.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,406 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    > Both have been problems in the past.

That is what I thought. I just was not sure if he was talking about the past or the present.
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • roninwolf1981#2968 roninwolf1981 Member Posts: 551 Arc User
    I didn't see much lag before the patch, but it has become a problem yesterday.
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    Complicating it further is the fact that it is not Akami or Cogent by themselves mostly, the problem comes when crossing between CDNs like them. If you happen to be in the same CDN as the game servers and your packets never cross to another one, then chances are you will not see anywhere near the problems that someone on a different one from the servers (or where their packets have to cross boundaries and back for some other reason) does.
This discussion has been closed.