test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Assignment: Exchange Contraband for Gold-pressed Latinum

corinthalascorinthalas Member Posts: 2,331 Arc User
Question: Why does this assignment even exist? Or perhaps it's a 'legacy' feature from a time when the game was different, so the question should be why does this assignment *STILL* exist? Because seriously, it has no business being in the game. The assignment rewards are worthless. Not 'kind of' worthless. Just worthless. GPL has no value in the game. None. It awards a completely irrelevant amount of trade xp and the standard 5-ore package for commodities that are worth 1200 ore total. It's a trap assignment for new players who don't know any better to effectively throw away high-value commodities, and that's a s*** move under any circumstance.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    I don't think its that bad. I agree with what your saying, just dont think contraband is that hard to acquire. Nothing wrong with some pitfalls in the trading assignment tab. I definitely don't feel as strongly as to say it's a s*** move.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,040 Community Moderator
    I seriously doubt that was the intention. We're talking about something that's probably been in the game for YEARS. Meaning it was around when things were different in game. The DOff system really hasn't been changed much. So its more likely just a legacy assignment that just exists. Its not designed to trick anyone. And if you're getting Trade XP... that's probably the only reason people would do it anyways.

Besides, you could probably turn around and use that GPL you got on an assignment that needs a GPL input.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    so what if they remove it? then remove dabo cause GPL is worthless. then they remove more stuff because someone says it's worthless, then they can just turn the servers off.. would that make the OP happy???
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • Options
    lillysaturnlillysaturn Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    Question: Why does this assignment even exist? Or perhaps it's a 'legacy' feature from a time when the game was different, so the question should be why does this assignment *STILL* exist? Because seriously, it has no business being in the game. The assignment rewards are worthless. Not 'kind of' worthless. Just worthless. GPL has no value in the game. None. It awards a completely irrelevant amount of trade xp and the standard 5-ore package for commodities that are worth 1200 ore total. It's a trap assignment for new players who don't know any better to effectively throw away high-value commodities, and that's a s*** move under any circumstance.

The assignment is from the Ferengi Trader on DS 9 at the Resturant. Ok it only gives around 3 contraband, but at least it gives us Feddies some more contraband then the usual: Take contraband from the ship Doff Mission.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,527 Arc User

The assignment is from the Ferengi Trader on DS 9 at the Resturant. Ok it only gives around 3 contraband, but at least it gives us Feddies some more contraband then the usual: Take contraband from the ship Doff Mission.

That is not the assignment the OP is talking about, rather the one that goes in the opposite direction where you are trading contraband for GPL, not the one you mention which nets you contraband instead.

From what I have read I suspect that GPL was supposed to take over as the main currency for buying consumables, but consumables never really took off and they more or less abandoned the idea. The idea of a million different currencies was popular in MMOs back then (especially in Korean grinders) but the trend has reversed and has changed to streamlining currencies since casuals (who do not tend to like overcomplicated economies) became the majority of gamers in the last five or so years.
This discussion has been closed.