test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

how many keys does it take to get a t6?

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,344 Community Moderator
    I'm going to have to ask folks to keep their accusations in check,.please, or we'll have to close this discussion if it gets out of hand. Thank you.

may i inquire as to what accusations you are referring to?

People obviously have some pretty strong opinions about lockboxes, so things can get heated if those passions aren't governed. While I will not debate the definition of "gambling," legal or otherwise, people's use of that term could be interpreted euphemistically. But when people start using language like "predatory" or "scam," that is disparaging and accusatory, and crosses the line into violating forum rules. By all means, debate the merits of lockboxes. As moderators, we will not shut these conversations down, but we do ask that people are careful in how they word their opinions, so as not to fall into the category of flaming/trolling. Thank you.

This is a completely serious/genuine question. Are you:

A: a normal player like everyone else who just volunteers to help moderate this forum or

B: a paid/professional HR person who only pretends to be a volunteer while really doing a full-time job of defending the company

If you are "A" then please try to at least talk like a real person and not some kind of robot programmed by Cryptic.

Well, since you say you're being genuine and serious: I am most definitely A) a normal player like everyone else who just volunteers to help moderate this forum (among other things). This is how I would normally speak, though, if we were having a face-to-face conversation, so I apologize, but I will not be altering my speech. Now, I'll admit that my tone apparently comes across more harsh than intended, and that is something that I am working on.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    bjorjlen#6464 bjorjlen Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    As far as I am concerned @baddmoonrizin, you're all good in my book. Being a old school man and gamer who has been on many game forums, I can safely say your tone was fine; I have heard far, far worse in my days, and your doesn't even rate imo. Being a volunteer forum moderator can be a thankless job at times, and it comes with the territory, but in the end, when it is all said and done, on most forums its needed. So keep on keeping on I say... :)

Peace...

P.S: Oh, and as I was the one who said "scam", I apologize for my comment even though I stand by it (being a personal opinion an all). It may not be "politically correct" here or "appropriate" per forum policy, but with the lockbox T6 drop rate being .01% (generally speaking), that is patently ridiculous and a big finger to the gamers who play STO and have to pay for Keys (for the most part) imo, and that is wrong. But what do I know? At my age, I am losing brain cells daily and am lucky that its not running out of my ears lol... 😁
  • Options
    I'm going to have to ask folks to keep their accusations in check,.please, or we'll have to close this discussion if it gets out of hand. Thank you.

People obviously have some pretty strong opinions about lockboxes, so things can get heated if those passions aren't governed. While I will not debate the definition of "gambling," legal or otherwise, people's use of that term could be interpreted euphemistically. But when people start using language like "predatory" or "scam," that is disparaging and accusatory, and crosses the line into violating forum rules. By all means, debate the merits of lockboxes. As moderators, we will not shut these conversations down, but we do ask that people are careful in how they word their opinions, so as not to fall into the category of flaming/trolling. Thank you.

this is where some "we are all human" moments need to be looked at from your side (i.e. people at cryptic) and accepted as a PoV from players/customers, just as you (i.e. cryptic) have asked from us. it goes both ways mate.

to your point as well...how can we debate the merits of them if cryptic wont publish the details about them? without stats, the only thing left are opinions. and some of those happen to be as stated above.

my take. so you know where i stand (not that you would care): they are used too often, and devalue the game as a whole. as a one off on occasion, i think it would be accepted more as "fun" to try and get some neat stuff. but given its current overuse, abuse, etc, i find them to be very close to the words used above. cryptic is not the only game to have boxes that need keys to open them, but damn...they lean more heavily on them than any other game i have played. and its getting old...very old.

First, I am not Cryptic. I'm a player, just like others in this thread. My only "Cryptic side" in this is making sure the forum rules are followed. Second, I'm not exactly a fan of the lockboxes either. There have been plenty of ships go in there that I'd rather have seen go into the C-Store. Same goes for the Lobi Store. But I understand that they need to keep the lights on. I just wish the mechanic wasn't used so much these days. If we must have lockboxes to continue funding the game, then I am hoping that they adopt Neverwinter's new lockbox model.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2022
    But I understand that they need to keep the lights on.

Yeah, no. Trek fans are notorious collectors. Just putting ships like the TOS connie in the C-store would have made INSANE profits. See the huge mudds/anniversary bundles for examples of stuff like that. The thing is, they aren't happy with INSANE profits. They want GAMBLE profits.

So no, it's not about "keeping the lights on". It's about "we know we'll make WAY MORE from people gambling than otherwise".

Which brings me back to what I said earlier: I've lost all hope for STO when it comes to ships and gambling. But I do hope that one day we have laws that destroy this type of system and games have to survive just on being good games making good content again.

Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    theboxisredtheboxisred Member Posts: 455 Arc User

A: a normal player like everyone else who just volunteers to help moderate this forum or

B: a paid/professional HR person who only pretends to be a volunteer while really doing a full-time job of defending the company

If you are "A" then please try to at least talk like a real person and not some kind of robot programmed by Cryptic.

I admit that I have my issues with BadMoonRizin (the reasons are mine and, no, you can't have them), but I think it's safe to assume that Professional HR Person is an inaccurate description.

Professional HR People are a uniquely vile example of humanity and BMR just doesn't fit that particular bill.
  • Options

this is where some "we are all human" moments need to be looked at from your side (i.e. people at cryptic) and accepted as a PoV from players/customers, just as you (i.e. cryptic) have asked from us. it goes both ways mate.

to your point as well...how can we debate the merits of them if cryptic wont publish the details about them? without stats, the only thing left are opinions. and some of those happen to be as stated above.

my take. so you know where i stand (not that you would care): they are used too often, and devalue the game as a whole. as a one off on occasion, i think it would be accepted more as "fun" to try and get some neat stuff. but given its current overuse, abuse, etc, i find them to be very close to the words used above. cryptic is not the only game to have boxes that need keys to open them, but damn...they lean more heavily on them than any other game i have played. and its getting old...very old.

First, I am not Cryptic. I'm a player, just like others in this thread. My only "Cryptic side" in this is making sure the forum rules are followed. Second, I'm not exactly a fan of the lockboxes either. There have been plenty of ships go in there that I'd rather have seen go into the C-Store. Same goes for the Lobi Store. But I understand that they need to keep the lights on. I just wish the mechanic wasn't used so much these days. If we must have lockboxes to continue funding the game, then I am hoping that they adopt Neverwinter's new lockbox model.

In going through this thread, BMR, I think I've noticed a pattern and I wonder if you would be so kind as to illuminate.

When your text is blue you are writing as a player.

When your text is gold you are writing as a Forum Moderator.

Is this an accurate assessment?

If it is, it may be helpful for everyone if you were to specify as much in your "Signature," and if it were a practice adopted in some manner by the other Forum Moderators as well.

Until We Meet Again!
    (I'm too lazy to cut, copy, paste, link, etc... the image of Skelletor running away.)
  • Options
    faxmachine#9639 faxmachine Member Posts: 120 Arc User

In going through this thread, BMR, I think I've noticed a pattern and I wonder if you would be so kind as to illuminate.

If it is, it may be helpful for everyone if you were to specify as much in your "Signature," and if it were a practice adopted in some manner by the other Forum Moderators as well.

Until We Meet Again!
    (I'm too lazy to cut, copy, paste, link, etc... the image of Skelletor running away.)

this seems to be the case. and on that note i have a suggestion: @baddmoonrizin should stop coloring text in any post that is not an official mod post.

reason: if he is just a regular person/player like everyone else, his comments/posts are no more special/important that anyone else's and should not be made to 'stand out' as if they were. also, coloring all his posts may confuse people by thinking he is posting with 'mod hat on'.

so all posts not being made 'with mod hat on' should be normal colored text like eveyone else, not done up with a special color to stand out as different from others.
  • Options

this seems to be the case. and on that note i have a suggestion: @baddmoonrizin should stop coloring text in any post that is not an official mod post.

reason: if he is just a regular person/player like everyone else, his comments/posts are no more special/important that anyone else's and should not be made to 'stand out' as if they were. also, coloring all his posts may confuse people by thinking he is posting with 'mod hat on'.

so all posts not being made 'with mod hat on' should be normal colored text like eveyone else, not done up with a special color to stand out as different from others.

I've got a better idea: let's all start coloring out posts like BMR. I think I'll use this nice gold color from now on. It goes well with my 'Ferengi' theme. Everybody just pick your favorite color and let's have fun :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    But I understand that they need to keep the lights on.

Yeah, no. Trek fans are notorious collectors. Just putting ships like the TOS connie in the C-store would have made INSANE profits. See the huge mudds/anniversary bundles for examples of stuff like that. The thing is, they aren't happy with INSANE profits. They want GAMBLE profits.

So no, it's not about "keeping the lights on". It's about "we know we'll make WAY MORE from people gambling than otherwise".

Which brings me back to what I said earlier: I've lost all hope for STO when it comes to ships and gambling. But I do hope that one day we have laws that destroy this type of system and games have to survive just on being good games making good content again.

Hell, I'm a notorious collector myself. On top of that, I'm a completionist and am OCD, so I understand the pain. I was also disappointed when the first T6 TOS Connie went into a lockbox instead of the C-Store. They make way more off key sales than regular C-Store purchases (stated in livestreams), though, so I can understand why they might choose to put certain ships in a lockbox. I might not like that, especially with certain ships, but I'm glad that this game is overall free to play. If this were I subscription based game, I'd have never started playing. I can't complain about Cryptic's free to play model, personally. I wish more games did what they do. That's just my personal opinion, though.

I admit that I have my issues with BadMoonRizin (the reasons are mine and, no, you can't have them), but I think it's safe to assume that Professional HR Person is an inaccurate description.

Professional HR People are a uniquely vile example of humanity and BMR just doesn't fit that particular bill.

Well, I'm sorry that you have issues. I try not to have any personal issues with anyone here. Calls my integrity into question, so I do my best to not take things personally. Of course, that doesn't mean that folks don't end up taking things personally with me when I'm only doing my job. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Until We Meet Again!

That would be an accurate observation. I believe at least one other mod does something similar. I started doing that because I do enjoy participating in discussions with the community, and wanted a way to differentiate between my forum roles. I was hoping that in doing so, I wouldn't catch as much heat for offering an opinion because "that doesn't look good for a mod to be saying...." Regardless of what color I use, though, people seem to just see that forum title, and then I catch hell for just disagreeing with someone. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options

Until We Meet Again!

Well, that's certainly an interesting take, but there are plenty of other players who use colors when posting. So, I shouldn't be able to simply because I'm a moderator? I mean, you certainly have a right to that opinion, but I think I'll continue to do me, and let you do you. 😊

I've got a better idea: let's all start coloring out posts like BMR. I think I'll use this nice gold color from now on. It goes well with my 'Ferengi' theme. Everybody just pick your favorite color and let's have fun :)

Well, I don't have the color copyrighted or anything, so obviously you could. 🤷🏼‍♀️
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    That's just my personal opinion, though.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with any of that. My point was really about your "keeping the lights on" statement. Let's not be ridiculous and pretend Cryptic couldn't stay in business by just outright selling pixel ships, because they certainly could. They just know they can make more by having people gamble for them. It's kind of like this:

Profit Levels:

1: "keeping the lights on" (bare minimum to get by)

2: doing pretty good

3: doing REALLY good

4: doing INSANELY good

5: getting people to GAMBLE to get stuff

So no, it's not about "keeping the lights on" or even doing REALLY good. Numbers 1-4 aren't good enough for them. It's about that sweet sweet GAMBLING money B)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options

Until We Meet Again!

Since anyone can color the text of their post if anyone, Forum Moderator or otherwise, wants to take the time and make the effort to do so then more power to them.

In the case of BaddMoonRizin I find the use of an existing tool to differentiate is good, solid thinking. I also think that adding that explanation to his forum signature would make for a useful communication tool for those who may not pick up on the distinction through general use of the forum.

Alright, let's see if I can do this next bit without I should butcher the quote function...

(Well, that went belly-up in a hurry. I believe the colloquialism is "TRIBBLE.")

BaddMoonRizin:
    "Well, I'm sorry that you have issues. I try not to have any personal issues with anyone here. Calls my integrity into question, so I do my best to not take things personally. Of course, that doesn't mean that folks don't end up taking things personally with me when I'm only doing my job. 🤷🏼‍♀️"

It's not a personal issue and, ultimately, it's not that big a deal. Indeed, "issue," may be too big a word, but it has the benefit of being easily understood.

If we ever need to discuss the matter in detail I would prefer not to do so publicly. I simply don't believe the matter warrants such a discussion.

I only brought it up here because it adds a layer; "If even a rectal horror like myself will jump to the defense...," and so forth.

Plus, as a side effect, it has allowed us both the opportunity to be courteous. "Wins" all the way around, if you ask me.

In the interim,

Keep on Space Truckin'!
  • Options
    That's just my personal opinion, though.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing with any of that. My point was really about your "keeping the lights on" statement. Let's not be ridiculous and pretend Cryptic couldn't stay in business by just outright selling pixel ships, because they certainly could. They just know they can make more by having people gamble for them. It's kind of like this:

Profit Levels:

1: "keeping the lights on" (bare minimum to get by)

2: doing pretty good

3: doing REALLY good

4: doing INSANELY good

5: getting people to GAMBLE to get stuff

So no, it's not about "keeping the lights on" or even doing REALLY good. Numbers 1-4 aren't good enough for them. It's about that sweet sweet GAMBLING money B)

Ok, when I said, "keep the lights on," I wasn't trying to denote the level of profit the game is generating. I just meant that I know they have to make money. I recognize that your profit examples are just your opinion, and so I will choose to respectfully agree to disagree and not debate the matter.

Most businesses, though, are out to make a profit. Otherwise, why are they in business? I don't think anyone can or should fault a business for wanting to be as profitable as they can be. They may question how the business makes its profit, but then, if anyone really had that big of an issue with it, most people would just stop doing business with that business. That's their right as a consumer. I don't necessarily think that a consumer has a right to tell a business how they can make their profit, though.

And may I point out the irony in a "Ferengi" actually criticizing how a company makes its profit. No snark or offense intended, I just find that humorous. LOL 😆
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    Most businesses, though, are out to make a profit.

Of course. In fact, every business should have people to gamble instead of just selling things normally, right?

And may I point out the irony in a "Ferengi" actually criticizing how a company makes its profit. No snark or offense intended, I just find that humorous. LOL 😆

I know right? Life is funny! BTW what type of space creature are you? And how does that type of creature relate to your posts on the forum?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, I was wondering that as well Mr Ferengi 😋. While cool as heck, it does scare me a bit (jk - DON'T change it on my account please lol) and makes me wonder the same thing. Like are you Captain Werewolf in STO, who's ship is the ever furry "Howler!!!", or would that be "Grrrr!" instead? lol Either way, keep looking to the stars folks, and be excellent to each other too...

Peace...
  • Options
    Most businesses, though, are out to make a profit.

Of course. In fact, every business should have people to gamble instead of just selling things normally, right?

I know right? Life is funny! BTW what type of space creature are you? And how does that type of creature relate to your posts on the forum?

I feel like this post is just full of sarcasm, correct me if I'm wrong. 🫤

No, every business doesn't need "gambling" instead of just selling things. But tell me this, for argument's sake, if Cryptic did away with lockboxes and only sold ships directly from the C-Store, but in order to maintain their profit margin had to charge $300 per ship instead of $30, would you buy them?

I know that you're not an actual Ferengi, nagus, and that your posts don't have to correlate with any specific forum identity. I was just making a humorous observation.

Yeah, I was wondering that as well Mr Ferengi 😋. While cool as heck, it does scare me a bit (jk - DON'T change it on my account please lol) and makes me wonder the same thing. Like are you Captain Werewolf in STO, who's ship is the ever furry "Howler!!!", or would that be "Grrrr!" instead? lol Either way, keep looking to the stars folks, and be excellent to each other too...

Peace...

Would that there were werewolves in Trek. And if the Alien option had a way to make one, I'd probably have tried. No, the werewolf is just my gamer tag no matter where or what game I'm playing. In STO, though, I have a toon for every available, playable race and then some.
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    krisxr400krisxr400 Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    I think thegrandnagus1's comments are awesome coming from a ferengi. In their defense, Rom wasn't a typical Grand Nagus. Rom stood up for whats right and just. Probably the best thing to happen to the ferngi alliance. :)
  • Options
    Would that there were werewolves in Trek. And if the Alien option had a way to make one, I'd probably have tried. No, the werewolf is just my gamer tag no matter where or what game I'm playing. In STO, though, I have a toon for every available, playable race and then some.[/quote]

Yeah, I hear ya. The closest we got is the cat race (sorry, I forget their name atm), and even that falls short of the typical Lycanthrope model, but I guess it's better than nothing, right? Also, are you a CCR fan by chance? I ask because your handle, @baddmoonrizin, sounds like a direct play on one of their songs. :) If so, cool job. 😁

Oh, and @krisxr400, I am positive all the female Ferengi would agree with you BIG time lol...

Peace...
  • Options
    but in order to maintain their profit margin

That's really the entire crux of the matter. I think we all understand they CAN'T make as much money just selling ships outright. Even your proposed idea of selling them for $300 a pop wouldn't maintain the same profit margin, because a lot of people wouldn't actually buy something that expense. And yet, addicts and people with 'gamblers fallacy' will slowly work their way UP that high through lockbox mechanics. By the very name of gambling, it will always make more money than any direct price, no matter how high.

So to repeat my earlier point: just making ALOT of money isn't enough for them. They want to make that sweet sweet GAMBLING money. It's not about 'keeping the lights on', or 'staying in business' or any other little phrase that tries to make it sound like they have no choice.

As long as we can all be intellectually honest and just admit that, fine. But I will take issue with anyone trying to use any cute little phrase to make it sound like 'poor widdle Cryptic is just trying to survive' :p

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    But tell me this, for argument's sake, if Cryptic did away with lockboxes and only sold ships directly from the C-Store, but in order to maintain their profit margin had to charge $300 per ship instead of $30, would you buy them?

They do that already - it's called Mudd's Market, and people DO buy those despite constant criticism (most of which relates to the padding of offerings with undesired trash or not selling of ships individually), just as they do with keys. If people will buy 5000$ ships from a no-name IP for a game that has been in alpha for over a decade now and shows absolutely no signs of entering beta within the next decade, people will absolutely buy premier ships for significantly less from a world-wide franchise that is so well-known, even someone who has never seen it before can immediately identify any number of terms as coming from it.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    Part of the problem, IMO, is that this is the only Trek MMO. And unfortunately that means Cryptic has a total monopoly on this particular market. If you want to play a Trek MMO...you have no other options. If you want to have an end game Connie, you have no options except what this game offers and no way to get it except the insane price points this game has.

I actually hope another Trek MMO that isn't completely fueled by gambling does come out while STO is still alive. That way we can actually see how people respond when they have choices in different business models :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    As long as we can all be intellectually honest and just admit that, fine. But I will take issue with anyone trying to use any cute little phrase to make it sound like 'poor widdle Cryptic is just trying to survive' :p [/color]

this. but for the IP, this game would be far less where it is.

You know what really sucks? This game has taken a lot of the fun out of watching new shows, because the moment you see a cool ship you immediately realize the ONLY way you will fly it in this game is gambling. It's a pretty sad situation, TBH.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2022

understandable with the words posted. however, understand you do represent cryptic when you become a mod. and when you do mod, you often times are very rigid and staunch in how you view things from whats posted.
    that said, since cryptic refuses to post details on the LB internal values, i think some wiggle room should be allowed so people can vent frustration on how they feel.

again, i think they are used too often and have too much hidden in them. its almost as if cryptic feels they cant take pride in the work they do and what they offer by allowing it all to be in the store vs a LB. all in all, its money at the end of the day. call it what you will, scam, gambling, etc...it matters not, so long as the money rolls in.

as far as lights staying on...lol. while i enjoy a good VO for aspects in the game...im over it. id rather at this juncture see them use less VO from famous people in the IP, and more into the actual game. heck, they may even save a few bucks.

and as far as the NW LB take...i thought that was a good move. but still not solid enough for me to want to try. its funny in a way actually. i lean more towards buying what i want vs buying keys to attempt to get something. they (cryptic) have lost a lot of funding from me with this continual and abused approach to the game. would most of these item be in the store, id have spent a lot more (for me, ymmv). heck, if the LBs were a seasonal thing, or less, id probably partake every once and a while and find it exciting to try my hand at a win.

please note: i also lump lobi into LB since that is how you get it as well. (not withstanding some vents to get some)

I do understand that players view me as "representing" Cryptic since I have that title next to my name. But it's also why I include in my signature "Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic." As for "wiggle room," I think we provide plenty of wiggle room on this topic. We just ask people to stay within the forum rules when doing it. 😊

Gosh! I'd almost forgotten them needing to pay for the "guest star" voice actors. This is a criticism that I agree with. While I love to see Trek actors reprising their roles in STO, I believe that it's overdone and overused now. Instead of them adding "flavor" to the storyline, like yes, you are in the same universe with these well-known characters, they've taken on a much more centralized and critical role in the narrative. Gone are the days when our character, our captain, was the main protagonist. Now, we're the supporting character in our own storyline, the sidekick in our own adventures.

Would that there were werewolves in Trek. And if the Alien option had a way to make one, I'd probably have tried. No, the werewolf is just my gamer tag no matter where or what game I'm playing. In STO, though, I have a toon for every available, playable race and then some.

Yeah, I hear ya. The closest we got is the cat race (sorry, I forget their name atm), and even that falls short of the typical Lycanthrope model, but I guess it's better than nothing, right? Also, are you a CCR fan by chance? I ask because your handle, @baddmoonrizin, sounds like a direct play on one of their songs. :) If so, cool job. 😁

Oh, and @krisxr400, I am positive all the female Ferengi would agree with you BIG time lol...

Peace...[/quote]

Yes, I do like the Caitians and Ferasans that are included in game. I'd hoped we could've gotten Anticans and Selayans as well back with Legacy of Romulus. Or even the various Xindi races as playable when they were introduced in the game. Oh well. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes, I am a classic rock fan, to include CCR. And yes, my handle is a play on that old song. Thanks for noticing. 😊
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    Gone are the days when our character, our captain, was the main protagonist. Now, we're the supporting character in our own storyline, the sidekick in our own adventures.

Couldn't agree more! So not only do we have the player side-lined in the story, but a ton of money that could theoretically pay the salaries of additional team members (resulting in more content more often) is instead being spent on the celeb VO.

But hey, I'm sure their magic metrics tell them it's better to have a famous voice and have the player not be the main character, so it hardly matters what some silly poster on a forum (me) thinks!

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2022

understandable with the words posted. however, understand you do represent cryptic when you become a mod. and when you do mod, you often times are very rigid and staunch in how you view things from whats posted.
    that said, since cryptic refuses to post details on the LB internal values, i think some wiggle room should be allowed so people can vent frustration on how they feel.

again, i think they are used too often and have too much hidden in them. its almost as if cryptic feels they cant take pride in the work they do and what they offer by allowing it all to be in the store vs a LB. all in all, its money at the end of the day. call it what you will, scam, gambling, etc...it matters not, so long as the money rolls in.

as far as lights staying on...lol. while i enjoy a good VO for aspects in the game...im over it. id rather at this juncture see them use less VO from famous people in the IP, and more into the actual game. heck, they may even save a few bucks.

and as far as the NW LB take...i thought that was a good move. but still not solid enough for me to want to try. its funny in a way actually. i lean more towards buying what i want vs buying keys to attempt to get something. they (cryptic) have lost a lot of funding from me with this continual and abused approach to the game. would most of these item be in the store, id have spent a lot more (for me, ymmv). heck, if the LBs were a seasonal thing, or less, id probably partake every once and a while and find it exciting to try my hand at a win.

please note: i also lump lobi into LB since that is how you get it as well. (not withstanding some vents to get some)

I do understand that players view me as "representing" Cryptic since I have that title next to my name. But it's also why I include in my signature "Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic." As for "wiggle room," I think we provide plenty of wiggle room on this topic. We just ask people to stay within the forum rules when doing it. 😊

Gosh! I'd almost forgotten them needing to pay for the "guest star" voice actors. This is a criticism that I agree with. While I love to see Trek actors reprising their roles in STO, I believe that it's overdone and overused now. Instead of them adding "flavor" to the storyline, like yes, you are in the same universe with these well-known characters, they've taken on a much more centralized and critical role in the narrative. Gone are the days when our character, our captain, was the main protagonist. Now, we're the supporting character in our own storyline, the sidekick in our own adventures.

i have sigs turned off. :)

It's for the best. Not sure why, but some people seem to feel like they need a massive billboard announcing their presence every time they post, and it's gotten way out of hand IMO. I remember there used to be a rule that a sig could not exceed a certain size(I think mine is still whatever size that rule was, mainly because I'm too lazy to change it). Those were the good old days :)

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.