test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Website!

2»

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,246 Arc User
    This is awful, whoever designed this....where you drunk?

To copy my post from another thread.

I think they deigned this for a mobile device completely forgetting the fact this is a PC game with PC gamers using the forums on a desktop monitor. The new website and forums feel like a cheap mobile design not something designed for a PC . Which is a poor design move given the bulk of the users will be PC based not a mobile phone.
  • doctorstegidoctorstegi Member Posts: 1,219 Arc User
    The new Forum sucks.
    C-Store Inc. is still looking for active members on the fed side. If you don't have a fleet feel free to contact me in game @stegi.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    HOW do you create a new thread?!?
  • timelords1701timelords1701 Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Got to agree with most here, whomever redesigned your forum majorly screwed up.
    Its just bland and not very liked by many, but i am guessing our words will not be heeded and the site will not be reverted back to the way it was..
    also something i noticed in the guest listings is zac quinto is named as spock alongside leonard nimoys spock, zac should have the name emergency medical hologram, not spock..
    And missing entirely from those named as guest voiceovers is the one and only kate mulgrew, cannot believe you left her out amongst the list..
    oh and one last thing that picture for dorns "worf" is not representative of how he actually looks in game.. you may want to update that picture..

nkouxm1d6abf.jpg
  • firebeard#3273 firebeard Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    Very clean and fast - WOW fast. The imagery is very vivid and denotes the majority of content. I just wish my copy of the game looked as good as the imagery :D Also, being able to purchase Zen from a simple link is great. Listing all the Actors was a really great idea. It gives them credit for their participation - maybe list their tours of duty and on which vessels. I can see the thought that was put forward.

If one was to find any fault, it would be with use of the windows surrounding the video(s) and links. By this I mean, there is nothing that really says, "Star Trek." I understand that the borders reflect the Nu-Trek but a lot of other Sci-Fi websites and TV/Movies use similar imagery. So, its use here seems to just fade into the crowd, so to speak. Perhaps use LCAR colours for Tabs and/ or Fly-outs. Or maybe use a Data-Pad for the Forum background(s). Just add a little more 'Trek.'

Also, please bear in mind that Designers use Linear RGB on Calibrated displays, while Consumers use Gamma-space and sRGB YCC. This leads to colour and contrast disparities. What Designers and Developers see is often very much different from what Consumers see. So don't feel too negatively about any Feedback, just understand that we are seeing different things.

Beyond all that, I do like the new site ..
    "Victory is not determined by whose armies are strongest. It is determined by who is left standing." - Napoléon
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @timelords1701 said:
    > Got to agree with most here, whomever redesigned your forum majorly screwed up.
    > Its just bland and not very liked by many, but i am guessing our words will not be heeded and the site will not be reverted back to the way it was..
    > also something i noticed in the guest listings is zac quinto is named as spock alongside leonard nimoys spock, zac should have the name emergency medical hologram, not spock..
    > And missing entirely from those named as guest voiceovers is the one and only kate mulgrew, cannot believe you left her out amongst the list..
    > oh and one last thing that picture for dorns "worf" is not representative of how he actually looks in game.. you may want to update that picture..

They obviously used outdated or concept art there, the characters all look off and there are typos and little mistakes scattered throughout ("Der Doktor", ZQ as Spock, spelling errors in actor names).
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • sinistergizsinistergiz Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/stormfall

going to the bottom of the page, looking for details that were given compared to the older sight, there appears as if there are none. is this going to be like this as well going forward? just a sentence or two and a video? no stats or more details? (while discussing as a whole, i am referring to the LD portion for this posting as an example)

not a fan currently of the new site. change my mind.

for reference, here is the old site link:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11516083-the-california-and-more-from-lower-decks!

So, the page you're referencing is the landing page for Stormfall - it's meant to have a little bit of everything. Blogs like the one about the California class will still live on this new website. In fact, the one you referenced already does:

https://playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11516083

Where are you going to fix the launcher issue's that are keeping people out of the game???

• scorpwanna#3529 scorpwanna Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    Oh my god, this is bad... I can't find anything, I can't even find an option to post a new thread.... Why change something that was working?
  • mrdesith#5215 mrdesith Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    A shorter version such as PlaySTO would be best.
    I'm tired of these MF'n Sith in my MF'n Jedi temple!
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,868 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    > @timelords1701 said:
    > Got to agree with most here, whomever redesigned your forum majorly screwed up.
    > Its just bland and not very liked by many, but i am guessing our words will not be heeded and the site will not be reverted back to the way it was..
    > also something i noticed in the guest listings is zac quinto is named as spock alongside leonard nimoys spock, zac should have the name emergency medical hologram, not spock..
    > And missing entirely from those named as guest voiceovers is the one and only kate mulgrew, cannot believe you left her out amongst the list..
    > oh and one last thing that picture for dorns "worf" is not representative of how he actually looks in game.. you may want to update that picture..

Thankfully, those were fixed at some point. The one I still notice is the Cassian military. It is supposed to be the Cardassian military. One I just noticed is the summary of the game that currently is written as the Alpha Strain Jem'Hadar. Shouldn't it be the Alpha Quadrant Jem'Hadar?
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
    edited May 2022
    Ok, since this comment I have checked out what the Patch Notes look like. Not all the patch notes have migrated successfully to the new website so it seems like it is a work in progress. The patch notes currently go from the most recent ones which are 5/27/22 to 5/12/22. The last patch notes that can be seen are from 7/24/15 which are labeled Star Trek Online: Release Notes: July 24th, 2015. Please finish the job of inputting the rest because right now there is a huge gap from 2022 and the last ones are 7/24/15. Another one is that in the Dev Blogs not all the dev blogs have migrated over only the most recent one and an old one for the previous Arc version called Come Grab Your Free Arc Gifts, and the media tab has nothing under it even though the previous website does have media. Thanks. :)
    Post edited by sthe91 on
  • zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    When posting a new topic the textbox for the title is still essentially invisible and we have to click around to find th right spot.

The "new thread" button is at the end of the page, discouraging people to create new threads because who would guess with the thousands of forums and the button to create a new thread at the top of the page, that here its at the end of the list of neverending categories.

There is still no seperator that marks individual comments. Its just text, lines, small text or pictures, more text, more lines, more text constantly reading signatures and wondering what that has to do with the topic.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,754 Community Moderator
    zarasz wrote: »
    When posting a new topic the textbox for the title is still essentially invisible and we have to click around to find th right spot.

The "new thread" button is at the end of the page, discouraging people to create new threads because who would guess with the thousands of forums and the button to create a new thread at the top of the page, that here its at the end of the list of neverending categories.

There is still no seperator that marks individual comments. Its just text, lines, small text or pictures, more text, more lines, more text constantly reading signatures and wondering what that has to do with the topic.

You're apparently accessing the forum through the old Arc website and not the new website, which this thread is about and is linked in the OP of this thread.

GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • psymantispsymantis Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    IMO signatures are allowed to be too big anyway. A single picture would be better than the amount of text some people have. Sometimes I log in just to be able to read a thread without continually scrolling past the same spammy text signatures. :|
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,115 Arc User
    Oh look - someone finally re-applied a stylesheet. Only took a month.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
    edited June 2022
    The new website and new forum link are still damaging to the brand with horrible to look at and an outdated cheap look. At least the old website and old forum link works now and are usable. If anyone is still having problem try

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/ this version works really well for me. Its only the links on the new website and the new website itself that are cheapy done.
    edited June 2022
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    The new website and new forum link are still damaging to the brand with horrible to look at and an outdated cheap look. At least the old website and old forum link works now and are usable. If anyone is still having problem try

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/ this version works really well for me. Its only the links on the new website and the new website itself that are cheapy done.

That's the old forums website. No idea how long that'll stick around now that it's redundant. Also, unless you want the uncategorized views that throws everything together, it's kind of awful to actually use other than the color scheme.
    Well I hope the old site sticks around as the new site is more designed as a poor advert that is missing the core functions and features and pages the old site has. If anything its the new site that's redundant in its current form. The new site so far is a waste of money it just cannot replace the old site with how much it has missing. At least not without a lot more work and a lot more content being added.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited June 2022

That's the old forums website. No idea how long that'll stick around now that it's redundant. Also, unless you want the uncategorized views that throws everything together, it's kind of awful to actually use other than the color scheme.
    Well I hope the old site sticks around as the new site is more designed as a poor advert that is missing the core functions and features and pages the old site has. If anything its the new site that's redundant in its current form. The new site so far is a waste of money it just cannot replace the old site with how much it has missing. At least not without a lot more work and a lot more content being added.

Well, looks like they went back to the old layout/site for Champions Online even before they did the same for Star Trek Online, and they should do the same for Neverwinter Online too.

I've no problem with something new and/or changes/updates in general as long as they're an improvement, but this new layout is not falling in that category.

Btw. did they test the new layout somewhere else before, or did they just dropped it in here for testing?
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
    edited June 2022
    regenerde wrote: »

Well, looks like they went back to the old layout/site for Champions Online even before they did the same for Star Trek Online, and they should do the same for Neverwinter Online too.

I've no problem with something new and/or changes/updates in general as long as they're an improvement, but this new layout is not falling in that category.

Btw. did they test the new layout somewhere else before, or did they just dropped it in here for testing?

They also tested this new layout for Perfect World International and the soon to be shutdown Forsaken World. PWI still has the black layout and FW has the blindingly white one. This was all Gearbox's doing not Cryptic's.

Edit: Neverwinter's forum has not yet reverted back to the old layout.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
This discussion has been closed.