test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Website!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,677 Community Manager
Hey folks! With its update today, Star Trek Online has launched a brand new website! Please direct your scanners to:

http://www.playstartrekonline.com

For all the latest news and info. Of course, if you'd like to continue using the arcgames.com address you certainly can, although I can personally attest that the forums work much better from the new link!
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 989 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Looks like the new site automatically lists your tweets on tge “News” page. I can see why you like it. Less work for you. The forums seem to be the same though. Oh well! At least the website will finally have occasional up-to-date information.
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,246 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    It feels like someone has designed this for looks over function making it’s a large step backwards and it fails on looks due to the low resolution of everything. It feels like its designed more as an advert to attract new players rather then be functional for established players who are the people who use it the most.

The poor quality very low-resolution video is not doing any favours on a desktop screen, its making the website look cheap and nasty. Not seen bit artefact blocks like that since the SD days of videos and that was decades ago. Same for the still imagery it’s all very low resolution. In the days of 1GB broadband we shouldn’t be seeing this low-quality resolution.

There is x10 to much movement on the page. Many gamers have two screens and have STO on one screen and the website on the 2nd screen. The constant movement and flashing is far, far too distracting and when you do look at it, the quality is very poor.
    The menus we use on a daily basis are small, hidden at the top out of the way on a desktop and on a tablet are hidden behind extra menus. Lots of extra clicking

The layout is over bright bright and white causing eye strain. Between this and the movement problems I can no longer leave the website open and dip into as the day goes on.

Forums just horrible, complete eye strain mess. At least they load fast. I couldn’t even see the box to type this feedback in as its white and blends into the background.

Still not found the options I use on a regular basis, how do I get to the wiki link for finding the info I use every other day to play the game? How do I transfer my characters to tribble? Where are all the other missing pages? How do I get to Ten Forward Weekly? e.c.t Where are all the pages that the current established player base use the website for?

There is lots of extra menus and clicking to get to what we use on a regular basis. When I do get to the news page barely any news is shown and I have to click more to get a decent amount showing. Then I find it’s the wrong news for consoles which I have no interesting in and have to click filters. This is hardly good design, what’s with the excess clicking and having to apply filters! Designed for looks over function.

Someone seems to be out of touch with the player base and Star Trek fans. The words Virtual Currency has very negative contentions. Very poor choice of words. Many gamers will go to a new game website and if that is the first thing they see will click right off and never even give the game a go. Virtual Currency with that wording will drive new players away. Players who would have played and spent money on the old website would be driven away with that negative contention.

Overall, it feels like a large step backwards. Like someone has deigned it to be a pretty advert of a website to attract new players with no thought on established players.

EDIT: Why is the edit button hidden behind a menu that has no other option apart from edit. Get rid of that menu and just place the edit button there. All this extra clicking doesnt make sense.

EDIT:
    When I talk about poor quality I mean the bit rate, resolution for the video. For the jpg its like someone did a really low DPI, its like someone did a good job deigning the video and imagery then exported at low quality.
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Well, the "update" made a mess of this forum, everything is much harder to read/find, and the other new one isn't looking any better... i mean, i did check in every now and then in the past, but i think i'm going to stick to Steam from now on, less painful for my eyes and mind.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,246 Arc User
    https://www.playstartrekonline.com/en/stormfall

going to the bottom of the page, looking for details that were given compared to the older sight, there appears as if there are none. is this going to be like this as well going forward? just a sentence or two and a video? no stats or more details? (while discussing as a whole, i am referring to the LD portion for this posting as an example)

not a fan currently of the new site. change my mind.

for reference, here is the old site link:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11516083-the-california-and-more-from-lower-decks!

+1 the new website doesn't contain what gamers will be looking for.
  • orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    That's one way of getting us non-whales to shut up I suppose. Make the forums an intolerable mess.
  • zaraszzarasz Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    Ive seen cheap adult pages with better forum and website upgrades. The edit button behind the three dots and white background on everything with no outlines is hilarious if it werent so damn sad. Its hard to tell the end of peoples comment and the start of their signature which is sometimes three times bigger than the actual comment and its all white without any seperators. Not even the formatting works properly as you can see with the huge spaces between paragraphs.

Cryptic actually hired someone to design this mess, someone was ok with this mess, its promoted as better regardless of feedback and now they will as always ignore any feedback about this mess. They didnt even have the brain power to make the white/black aspect of the page optional like half the modern websites have.

The people in charge are getting more incompetent by the day due to being not just out of touch with the players/customers, but with reality itself.
    I can personally attest that the forums work much better from the new link!
    Just like the last two ingame changes, Cryptic did something without announcing it or giving the players any chance to offer feedback that you people DESPERATELY need before you do it and now it will just stay this way no matter how much feedback about these bad updates we provide. This is nothing to be proud of.
    That's one way of getting us non-whales to shut up I suppose. Make the forums an intolerable mess.
    Seems to be the company slogan these days. Make everything as intolerable as possible with a smug smile. Which makes one of Kael's statements in the thread about how to have a discussion even more revealing: "Cryptic Studios, the STO development team, and the creatives behind Star Trek have and will do things that make you upset... I'm not saying any negativity will be frowned upon."

Ive seen a certain moderator troll criticism, invited people to troll and Kael did absolutely nothing about it. But yeah, give the forum a new paint job and pretend its all rainbows and cupcakes now.
    Post edited by zarasz on
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    It's got the typical lack of proof reading,

Der doktor as the role for picardo (accurate for a german translation not the english)
    Salome Jens also has her role similarly germanic
    A pluralised Tony Todd
    Nama (not Nana) Visitor

I'm assuming that the footage is from an old or inhouse version of the game due to the lack of visual splooge during the snippets of combat
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    ...wow, that's terrible.

And the forums are still a vast field of white, just formatted in a much more cluttered way.
  • guljarolguljarol Member Posts: 980 Arc User
    While I truly wish we eventually get other colouring options (the white is really unpleasant), I highly appreciate that this forum has the proper functionality, like "go to first unread" etc. The nested ARC forum didn't and was sometimes really hard to read.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,677 Community Manager

going to the bottom of the page, looking for details that were given compared to the older sight, there appears as if there are none. is this going to be like this as well going forward? just a sentence or two and a video? no stats or more details? (while discussing as a whole, i am referring to the LD portion for this posting as an example)

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11516083-the-california-and-more-from-lower-decks!

So, the page you're referencing is the landing page for Stormfall - it's meant to have a little bit of everything. Blogs like the one about the California class will still live on this new website. In fact, the one you referenced already does:

https://playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11516083
  • jennycolvinjennycolvin Member Posts: 1,100 Arc User

So, the page you're referencing is the landing page for Stormfall - it's meant to have a little bit of everything. Blogs like the one about the California class will still live on this new website. In fact, the one you referenced already does:

https://playstartrekonline.com/en/news/article/11516083

The option of a dark theme would be much appreciated by lots of people, if nothing else because it give us the ability of choosing to not be slapped in the face by all-too-bright pages.

Also, having a popup for the login form is not the best - a modal window would have been way, way better.

Other than that, we'll see how it goes.
    kv1Ohsx.png
    Not agreeing with someone doesn't give you the right to be an TRIBBLE.

Ci sono tre tipi di giocatori:
    - quelli a cui non va mai bene niente... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che sono talmente imbesuiti da credere a qualunque cosa i dev dicano, perfino che la luna è fatta di formaggio... e vanno sul forum a trollare;
    - quelli che credono a quello a cui è giusto credere, sono d'accordo con quello con cui è giusto essere d'accordo e sono critici con quello che non va;

Ai giocatori dei primi due tipi, gratis in omaggio un bello specchio lucente su cui arrampicarsi. E una mazzata in testa per la loro poca intelligenza e compassione verso gli altri giocatori che non la pensano come loro.
    Agli appartenenti al terzo tipo, invece, dico grazie. Anche se non sempre si riesce a mantenere la calma, siete quelli per cui vale la pena incazzarsi.
    And a limit on signature sizes would be something.
    And less buttons all over the place.
    And an option to increase the width of the page because we arent playing with 640x480 resolutions anymore.
    And outlines to comment boxes, between comments, around the signature...

Hell, just build a new one from scratch with someone who actually has extensive experience with forums and customer friendly designs.
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    I don't know who decided to go with this look for the "new" forums, but it ain't good. The white background is giving me a headache just typing this. Can't see most recent posts on the front page. Just absolutely horrible.

And if you think this is gonna push me to go to Reddit to get game info, you're dead wrong. I can't even ACCESS Reddit as all I've ever gotten when trying to visit it is the banner at the top and nothing else. Doesn't matter what link I follow, even just plain vanilla Reddit.com, same results across multiple devices.

So yeah, I preferred the look and functionality of the old forums. Whatever. You're gonna do what you want, it's your site. I just won't be visiting it as often. Kinda like the game of late. Interesting...
    Post edited by iamynaught on
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    4tr5tpxnx4wq.png

That's all I have to say.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • bigbadbarstowbigbadbarstow Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    Cool hope it does well
  • garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    > @ambassadorkael#6946 said:
    > Hey folks! With its update today, Star Trek Online has launched a brand new website! Please direct your scanners to:
    >
    > http://www.playstartrekonline.com
    >
    > For all the latest news and info. Of course, if you'd like to continue using the arcgames.com address you certainly can, although I can personally attest that the forums work much better from the new link!

I am confused. When this change first happened, you commented in a player's thread about the new look of the forums

"I have zero idea how this occurred, and I hate it. We'll get it fixed."

Does this mean that our CM was completely left in the dark and had no idea that this change was happening? You also seem to be taking contradictory positions saying that the new forums work great while at the same time saying that you hate it...

Maybe I am just misunderstanding what is going on...
  • age03age03 Member Posts: 1,664 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    How do I post a new thread to renew my old thread ?I would still like it if this were PWE game Where I spent $500.00 on PWI and STO/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Age StarTrek-Gamers Administrator
    USS WARRIOR NCC 1720 Commanding Officer
    Star Trek Gamers
  • minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    add please dark mode page..
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,442 Arc User
    garaffe wrote: »
    You also seem to be taking contradictory positions saying that the new forums work great while at the same time saying that you hate it...
    The new forum style is like a '78 Datsun 510. It works great, but it's ugly as sin.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Now its dark grey background with light grey font. And they say it was eye straining before...
    edited May 2022
    Font lit up. Good. Finally they are listening to customer feedback. Someone get the champagne.

Now that you are hopefully still reading here...

Do something about the paragraph seperators. It looks fine when writing but when posting the empty space is well... See?

The line between comments looks identical to the line seperating the comment and signature. Maybe put a similar white line around every second comment, make it look like a box. This should increase readability greatly with all the enormous signatures.

The edit button is still behind a menu that only contains the edit button. Maybe move the edit button next to the other two buttons (flag & quote) so the buttons arent all over the place anymore and nobody has to search for the three tiny dots.

Can you do something about the resolution? My resolution is 1920x1080 and there are huge empty spaces left and right. Text boxes can be stretched, not here, yet, and adapt to smaller resolution. Can it be adapted to adapt to bigger resolutions aswell?

There is a button in the upper right of my comment and on the right side in the line of all the formatting options, to "toggle full page". It turns the page completely white and only leaves the black comment box at the top.
  • solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    I would just like to ask: what do web developers have against "simple"? In all the years I've surfed the 'Net, my observation has been that it's almost universal that when a website is "updated", it looks shinier but becomes harder to navigate. Why? Just... why? This is the second time this year I've seen a website I use often go from (relatively) functional to eye-assaulting unfriendly. I hated the change the last time they did this, and this one is even worse.

Just... why?
    Just... why?

Its called incompetence.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Thread list should just be kept to titles and not have the first few lines of text thrown in for no particular reason.

Could be worse, for example the revamp ubisoft did to their forums last year.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    As I said in the White thread, I think this may be the worst forum layout I've ever seen.
    Just... why?

Seconded
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Well, the background isn't blinding white anymore, so I guess that's a good thing. The rest still isn't good though. I will accept the baby step forward in the right direction but there are still light years to go until this new forum is middling.

IMO
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • cxeronockxcxeronockx Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited May 2022
    1: I'm already happy that the bright white is gone.

2: It will take some getting used to the new form of the forum but we have to move forward instead of continuing to live in the past, life is also not the same as it was in my youth 50 years ago.

3: To be able to respond to a question or comment I do still have to log in via the charge page (they image - highlighted in yellow) but that may be due to the tracking blockers I use and so will have to keep using both versions of forum (website).

(Personal information removed - BMR)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    I can honestly say that i am NOT a fan of the new look for the forums OR the website. They just look really tacky and amateur for a both, with the previous versions being a lot less hard on the eyes.
  • minidariminidari Member Posts: 125 Arc User
  • n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 392 Arc User
    This is awful, whoever designed this....where you drunk?
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
This discussion has been closed.