test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Does it always take a couple of months for a bug fix???

vgerarnold#4379 vgerarnold Member Posts: 17 Arc User
I did not recieve the full 700 points for the Buy out. Instead i got 408. I had 3,000 so i needed 500. paid 1,160 Zen for the month i could not play. Watched the bar go almost to the end and quit. Short 98 points. So i paid about $12.50 to watch a bar get closer to something i cant have. This has not been fixed.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,471 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Depends on the bug and its priority on their list. Some bugs are harder to isolate than others. Some take days, others weeks, many years, and some long running ones decades until they are fixed. Even others are resurrected from the dead. Though what I have noticed is many bugs are fixed in years or decades and not usually weeks or months. Of course I wish their priorities were different. Such as prioritizing bug fixes and typos involving the C-Store (I know it is the Z-Store still does not ring to me because it is short for zen), the Lobi Store, and lockbox content. Then go to fixing the bugs involving episodes or mix those in with the other fixes. But again I am not Cryptic and do not know how things work there.
    Post edited by sthe91 on
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    From 0 to eleventy million days is normal for all applications.

SWTOR had a crash bug at the end of its very first raid that was not fixed for at least 5 years. I'm not sure it ever was fixed.

Microsoft Office apps also have bugs that have gone unfixed for many years.

Windows, macOS, iOS, Android, (insert any other app) -- bugs that persist for years.

Your best bet is to contact support and see if they can help you.
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    SWTOR never did squash that bug as of 2017, when I last played it.

Given this was a financial transaction I'd get a hold of support and get them to sort it. Make sure you have the receipt handy too. They are legally obliged to at least look at it, money is involved.
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    The issue is that few bugs are as simple to fix as the "Alien: Colonial Marines" AI bug where it was due to a single simple typo in the place that would be the first place to look.

With most long standing bugs it's not "there's an error in 'A' that's causing a bug to manifest in 'A'" but rather it's a case of "there's an error in 'F' that's causing an unintended effect in 'E' that's in turn causing unintended effect in 'D' that's effecting 'C' which in turn effects 'B' which in turn causes a bug to manifest in 'A'" and more often then not 'A' and 'F' are unrelated systems and QA has to follow that line to the root cause to be able to fix the bug and there could be hundreds if not thousands of possible routes they must look.

And in STO particular there's this annoying habit with some players that when they report a bug all they say is essentially "there's a bug" and go out of their way to not provide information that could be used to narrow down the path to the root cause.
  • Options
    Looks like i might be able to buy a new outfit. I would expect to get more than an outfit for $20. No temporal anomalies to forseen this situation thrue?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    With most long standing bugs it's not "there's an error in 'A' that's causing a bug to manifest in 'A'" but rather it's a case of "there's an error in 'F' that's causing an unintended effect in 'E' that's in turn causing unintended effect in 'D' that's effecting 'C' which in turn effects 'B' which in turn causes a bug to manifest in 'A'" and more often then not 'A' and 'F' are unrelated systems and QA has to follow that line to the root cause to be able to fix the bug and there could be hundreds if not thousands of possible routes they must look.
    My personal record was in COBOL, while I was in the Air Force. Missed one semicolon in the Data Definition section, which resulted in 235 runtime errors because the compiler missed it too. Since I was able to focus on just the one piece of software at the time, it only took me about a week to track the damned thing down. I can only imagine what it'd have been like if I'd had to hunt through literally millions of lines of code looking for whatever subtle error was causing an issue, especially if it's an intermittent bug that only triggers once every ten or twelve times...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    A couple of months would be extremely lucky. If that happens be thankful it wasn't a couple of years.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    jonsills wrote: »
    spiritborn wrote: »
    My personal record was in COBOL, while I was in the Air Force. Missed one semicolon in the Data Definition section, which resulted in 235 runtime errors because the compiler missed it too. Since I was able to focus on just the one piece of software at the time, it only took me about a week to track the damned thing down. I can only imagine what it'd have been like if I'd had to hunt through literally millions of lines of code looking for whatever subtle error was causing an issue, especially if it's an intermittent bug that only triggers once every ten or twelve times...
    Exactly especially because some issues aren't bugs per se, that is to say there's nothing technically wrong in code but rather there's a slight inefficiency in some system that's causing issues on another unrelated system and as I said before that chain is rarely simple or quick to isolate and correct.

Lets take that Destablizing Resonance Beam manual bug westmetals mentioned I suspect that took so long there wasn't the actual fixing but rather locating what was causing it and why it was effecting only some characters and not others.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    Post edited by vgerarnold#4379 on
  • Options
    Well to be fair it would sound like something Q would do if he was bored.
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    At the very least, the inconvenience has given birth to a wry sense of humor in the community.

Sense of humor...Please...Space Barbie is SERIOUS BUSINESS...
    ;)
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    urbanski#5793 urbanski Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2022
    Well I'm new to the game but in the short time I've played I've encountered numerous bugs. Some are just cosmetic, like on the select character screen, I'm showing one bridge officer in all of the BO positions or a phaser having the firing animation showing all the time. There are loads of these.

Others are annoying like traits disappearing and having to be applied on every login, or when swapping ships, all / some of the batteries / consoles / equipment stay on the old ship instead of being transferred. Again noticed many of these.

Then there are the game breaking bugs and disconnects of which I've encountered quite a few. Like enemies being able to shoot through walls and doors, like being stuck in an animation loop and numerous game crashes.

For a game this old I'm surprised how many bugs there. Also the optimisation is very poor. At starfleet HQ my PC sounds like it's going to take off. My rig is not new but it can play most AAA titles without any issues, this game overheats my PC which is ridiculous considering the standard of the gfx.

I'm guessing that bug fixing clearly isn't a priority.
  • Options
    Well I'm new to the game but in the short time I've played I've encountered numerous bugs. Some are just cosmetic, like on the select character screen, I'm showing one bridge officer in all of the BO positions or a phaser having the firing animation showing all the time. There are loads of these.

Others are annoying like traits disappearing and having to be applied on every login, or when swapping ships, all / some of the batteries / consoles / equipment stay on the old ship instead of being transferred. Again noticed many of these.

Then there are the game breaking bugs and disconnects of which I've encountered quite a few. Like enemies being able to shoot through walls and doors, like being stuck in an animation loop and numerous game crashes.

For a game this old I'm surprised how many bugs there. Also the optimisation is very poor. At starfleet HQ my PC sounds like it's going to take off. My rig is not new but it can play most AAA titles without any issues, this game overheats my PC which is ridiculous considering the standard of the gfx.

I'm guessing that bug fixing clearly isn't a priority.

the toon select screen has been around for a time. i am sure it will forever be around, never to be fixed. but as you say, once in the game all my boffs are there, not just the one that has been duplicated. but since it doesnt break the game, its not a priority.

the disappearing traits, etc...very annoying, and very aggrivating to say the least. it sucks. but, per cryptic, it doesnt break the game, so its not a priority.

in order of DCs experienced... delta quad is by far the most prone to DCs, for me. i loath anything having to do with that location. then map moves into TFOs. then finally the oddball map moves at other locations. load times also seem to cause DCs often lately and that sucks.

something with lighting 2.0 seems to make the rig run hot. i turn it off and it instantly reduces the fan speed and cools down. just my experience. ymmv.

Yeah...thanks, good to know it's not just me.

The veterans of STO must be at their wits end if this is the state of the game after 10 yrs. Having played a fair few MMORPGs I have to say STO is in a pretty sorry state.

The disconnects are quite regular for me at least once per session but usually 2 or 3 times. Like now for instance I can't even get into the game, I get to the character select screen, click play and it's says I've been disconnected.

It's a pretty poor experience if I'm honest and I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends.
  • Options
    westmetals wrote: »
    Disconnection issues might be a result of internet instability somewhere between you and the game server - if true, it's outside of their control.

Graphics load issues... have you tried adjusting your in-game graphics settings downward?

As for the traits issues, I have found that if you save the loadout on your ship, while in space, it becomes MUCH more stable.

This isn't the only game I play. I'm getting into other games no problem and my internet connection is fine. STO is just disconnecting me on a regular basis.

I've turned lighting 2.0 off to see how that works. Previously I turned gfx settings to low but it made no difference.

I'll save a ship loadout to see if that solves the traits issue for me.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,326 Community Moderator
    The "duplicate" BOFFs on the selection screen isn't really so much a bug as user "error" of sorts. All of your BOFFs are using the same name for their costumes in the Tailor. Just go into the Tailor and make sure that each BOFF has a unique costume name.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    This isn't the only game I play. I'm getting into other games no problem and my internet connection is fine. STO is just disconnecting me on a regular basis.

As westmetals said, it could be anything between your PC and Cryptic's servers that is causing the connection issues. Think of it like city streets, with your house being your PC and Cryptic's servers being your destination. Any number of things along the way can cause issues that have nothing to do with one end or the other.

In the past we've had issues with traffic going through certain nodes (intersections in my analogy) bogging things down because some service used by another company that controls that node thinks its DDoS activity and not normal MMO activity, and forcably SLOWS traffic down to counter the supposed threat.

Your connection to STO's servers is not a straight line, but goes through several nodes. Same with the rest of us. Your route may not be as stable as mine or another user's because of things between you and the server. In which case, it is neither your fault nor Cryptic's, but whoever is along the way. And in most cases there really isn't much that can be done on either side.

And trust me... when we have had much more blatant slowdowns and DCs because of said internet service confusing normal MMO traffic for DDoS attacks... we all get frustrated. And traceroutes usually lead to the same answer.

Speaking of traceroutes... maybe you should try running a traceroute. I admit I don't remember the command to do it off the top of my head, but it might shed some light on where any potential slowdowns are between you and the server. And I swear if I see a certain company name pop up on that traceroute I'm gonna scream.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    orangenee#2931 orangenee Member Posts: 837 Arc User
    I think it depends on the bug really. If it's something catastrophic like we had on console last week then they get to it fairly quick. There was a bug with not being able to convert boffs to manuals which got fixed fairly quickly too.

I'm not sure if it's a bug or just a wonky trigger, but the whole of the New Romulus arc is full of annoying triggers not firing when they're supposed to. Those second missions after each section only fire themselves outside of the mission area they're in, so players who don't know to do it manually end up having to do each main mission twice.

A classic New Romulus bug, which is the Golden Death where the bloom goes nuts seems to be on console too. Had it happen in the Iconian arc too.

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    I think it depends on the bug really. If it's something catastrophic like we had on console last week then they get to it fairly quick. There was a bug with not being able to convert boffs to manuals which got fixed fairly quickly too.

Serious game breaking bugs do tend to take priority, as that affects gameplay experience for players. But it also depends on a lot of other things. Back in "Season 7" when we switched over to the Reputation System from the previous random loot drops a bug happened where players couldn't get their accolade costume parts for their MACO armor even if they had the associated Accolades. Took them about a year to track that one down.

And a few times in the past when they fixed something totally unrelated, the Borg broke. I don't remember what they fixed at the time, but right after this one patch Borg Spheres got a supercharged Emergency to Engines. They pop that, they shot across the map like cannonballs. Not particularly gamebreaking, and a bit funny, but also a bit annoying to try and catch them.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
This discussion has been closed.