test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ground Mounts, Are Lore Accurate?

bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 335 Arc User
I do recall once in a TNG Movie seeing a ground Vehicle, I Think it was in Nemesis. But makes me wonder why we haven't seen one, Ever. Then again the ground combat system is a little "Different" But would it even be possible to code in for ground mount application such as a Buggy? But furthermore, if its not, they could add new ground planet missions that have implemented for ground mounts only areas. As in a New hub of exploration in a new episode or something to make this a possibility, However preserving the old content that keeps you on your toes? What are some of your thoughts with this idea? Could STO use a new hub and allow for the use of ground mounts in game? I would love to see it personally and could add more bling to what I already have LOL!!

Haha I totally forgot about Rishi strangely enough all my time in STO I have only been there for 1 mission and it was raining.
klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    bcstar wrote: »
    makes me wonder why we haven't seen one, Ever.

It's come up on the weekly livestream a few times, but basically there are only a very small handful of planets where ground mounts would actually be useful so they don't feel it would be worth the time it would take to add one.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    ozwynozwyn Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I think leaving them out may be a good thing. Imagine a mess of mounted players filling up ESD like what can happen in SWTOR
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,408 Arc User
    If it's still based on the Champions Online code structure, they'd basically have to tear apart the way characters walk. When vehicles were introduced in that game, lots of folks wanted cars for their street-level heroes, but it turned out that there could only be a single point of contact with the ground (and my request for a unicycle for Captain Americlown was turned down because they weren't messing about with all the animations for the sake of my one character). Hence all the flying vehicles buzzing about Millennium City and speeding folks over Burning Sands.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,553 Arc User
    Once in one movie is technically canon (the best kind of canon) but away teams were on foot in TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Ent, Picard and Disco. So 99+% of the time on foot.

Thanks to transporters, no one drives. They walk, fly or teleport.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,183 Community Moderator
    Yea... really the only planet that mounts would be viable right now is Nimbus. Everywhere else is designed for players on foot. New Romulus has tight paths that would be too small for an Argo buggy.

Although technically I suppose floaters and surfboards are considered mounts, but only limited to Risa (And fleet colony for surfboards).

Also I think you guys also forgot a couple motorcycles in the Kelvin Timeline movies. The one from '09 that Kirk rode to Riverside Shipyards before joining Starfleet, and the one that was stored aboard the USS Franklin that Kirk rode in the fight to rescue his crew from Krall.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,664 Arc User
    The Argo system was meant for use on the rare planets where things like gravitic turbulence makes impulse drive impractical and something (like electromagnetic disturbances makes transporters useless), but a thruster-driven winged shuttle that does not depend on antigravity to function can sail right through it. Once you get down though using some kind of thruster-powered hover jeep would take too much fuel, so wheels or tracks are the way to go, hence the Argo buggy.

The way motorcycle in Star Trek Beyond was treated it seemed like was some kind of classic that someone restored for recreational use, like Garabaldi's Kawasaki Ninja in Babylon5, or for that matter the car that the Kelvin Kirk drove off a cliff in the 2009 movie.

They don't seem to use any ground vehicles at all for ordinary transportation in the Federation (or any Federation level of modern world elsewhere) in any of the Treks.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    show me Picard's horse.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,800 Arc User
    Sehlat Mounts on Vulcan would be awesome, they're like a cross between a Sabertooth Tiger and a Bear.
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > Once in one movie is technically canon (the best kind of canon) but away teams were on foot in TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Ent, Picard and Disco. So 99+% of the time on foot.
    >
    > Thanks to transporters, no one drives. They walk, fly or teleport.

Also, dont forget about the buggy in Prodigy.
  • Options
    Once in one movie is technically canon (the best kind of canon) but away teams were on foot in TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Ent, Picard and Disco. So 99+% of the time on foot.

BTW while we're on the topic of teleporting, I'm kind of curious if Starfleet's 32nd century personal transporters are reversed engineered from Romulan personal spatial trajectors.
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2022
    garaffe wrote: »
    > @davefenestrator said:
    > Once in one movie is technically canon (the best kind of canon) but away teams were on foot in TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager, Ent, Picard and Disco. So 99+% of the time on foot.
    >
    > Thanks to transporters, no one drives. They walk, fly or teleport.

Also, dont forget about the buggy in Prodigy.

Though it might work in Dyson Ground zone, if they allowed either the Prodigy ATV, or the Argo that came with the Shuttle... ...it's too bad they didn't sell them in a SET, buy the shuttle get Argo Vehicle.

I couldn't see it being used for Ground missions though, yet the Dyson Ground Zone is just big enough it could likely work. The question is will they agree, it's still fairly compact at perhaps < 6 ft wide though perhaps slightly longer than 8-9 ft in length.

I'd still be surprised if they allowed it at all, and agree with @davefenestrator for the most part.

https://startrek.com/database_article/argo-atv-all-terrain-vehicle#
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > They don't seem to use any ground vehicles at all for ordinary transportation in the Federation (or any Federation level of modern world elsewhere) in any of the Treks.

You have been right for the most time, shuttles pretty much made all kinds of ground vehicles superflous. However, the new animated shows, Lower Decks and Prodigy, both show that classic ATVs are regular occurences in Starfleet. There is a whole car chase sequence in LD on a space station with multiple vehicles and Prodigy's USS Protostar has one vehicle in it's hangar as well.

Their use is probably situational, but it's not uncommon any more. Considering that the cars in TOS seemed quite alien to Kirk and Spock, this is a change in tone.

The latter however also has a shuttle replicator. That's also a new one, up to this point it was canon that certain materials and components couldn't be replicated and star ships had to be assembled at least to a degree. Now technomogy exists that just 3D prints shuttles.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    angrytarg wrote: »
    > @phoenixc#0738 said:
    > They don't seem to use any ground vehicles at all for ordinary transportation in the Federation (or any Federation level of modern world elsewhere) in any of the Treks.

You have been right for the most time, shuttles pretty much made all kinds of ground vehicles superflous. However, the new animated shows, Lower Decks and Prodigy, both show that classic ATVs are regular occurences in Starfleet. There is a whole car chase sequence in LD on a space station with multiple vehicles and Prodigy's USS Protostar has one vehicle in it's hangar as well.

Their use is probably situational, but it's not uncommon any more. Considering that the cars in TOS seemed quite alien to Kirk and Spock, this is a change in tone.

The latter however also has a shuttle replicator. That's also a new one, up to this point it was canon that certain materials and components couldn't be replicated and star ships had to be assembled at least to a degree. Now technomogy exists that just 3D prints shuttles.

Something writers were told about the shuttles in TOS was that Enterprise had two ready, two that could be readied in a few hours or less, and stored parts that could be combined with shipboard-fabricated parts to make another dozen or so in a few days' time.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,408 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Considering that the cars in TOS seemed quite alien to Kirk and Spock, this is a change in tone.
    Kirk had a little trouble finding the starter button (in fairness, I'd probably have an issue with that myself), and he had no clue how a manual transmission worked, but the two of them did seem to be fairly cognizant of both what a car was, and the basics of how it worked (although that might be attributable to Kirk being a history buff).

The part that stymies me about that episode was how the Iotians built cars. Was internal-combustion technology really described in detail in "Chicago Gangs of the 1920s"?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,183 Community Moderator
    There's also details like how Paris was QUITE familiar with an old pickup truck in Voyager. And in Enterprise during their time travel to Earth's past Archer and T'Pol weren't phased by cars at all.

The way I see it, some form of ground transportation exists in Star Trek. Yea Transporters are a thing, but that doesn't rule out the existence of such vehicles outright. Rural areas, enthusiasts, historians, maybe even just average people will still have access to that. Will they look like modern cars or something similar to speeders? We don't really know. Our closest comparison might be the seen in Into Darkness where we see San Fransisco during Spock chasing Khan across vehicles. Yea they're in the air, but we also see some at ground level. Not sure if there were any seen in Picard other than that one thing helping out at the vineyard.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,301 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    There's also details like how Paris was QUITE familiar with an old pickup truck in Voyager. And in Enterprise during their time travel to Earth's past Archer and T'Pol weren't phased by cars at all.

The way I see it, some form of ground transportation exists in Star Trek. Yea Transporters are a thing, but that doesn't rule out the existence of such vehicles outright. Rural areas, enthusiasts, historians, maybe even just average people will still have access to that. Will they look like modern cars or something similar to speeders? We don't really know. Our closest comparison might be the seen in Into Darkness where we see San Fransisco during Spock chasing Khan across vehicles. Yea they're in the air, but we also see some at ground level. Not sure if there were any seen in Picard other than that one thing helping out at the vineyard.

There also could be that Transporters are the 24th-25th century equivalent of a plane trip, sure you use them but not for travel within the same city or so, I've yet to see Picard (the series that is) so I can't say for sure but wasn't Transporters used for a trip from France to US (to use modern locations) as in from the Picard Vinyard to the Starfleet HQ so that's quite a distance.
  • Options
    rattler2 wrote: »

That might be it, Cars might not exist in Kirk's time but something close enough or similar might taken it's place, the Federation would most likely outlaw cars in favor of a greener and environmentally friendly alternatives, then again land Vehicles may not exist in TOS but considering the constant changes caused by time travel land vehicles probably just popped back into existence, besides TOS was Pre-Enterprise while Discovery is Post-Enterprise, seeing as Enterprise itself takes place after First Contact, ENT was pretty much a way to reboot the Prime Timeline.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Most of the vehicles they show using roads (mostly in the various movies) hover along silently which implies that they are using the same antigravity that shuttles use along with a setting to keep it close to the ground like one of today's hovercraft. In fact, in early movie era they show flying trucks and cars at various levels, including within a few feet of the ground.

As for the ENT thing, Paramount denied any intention to "reboot" TOS when fans challenged them on the subject, official word was the TOS era was just as originally shown. There was no real attempt to eliminate TOS until NuTrek came along, and that was probably because of the fact that of all of the Treks, Moonves hated TOS the most.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    Pretty sure every time a scene on Earth came up, at least from TNG on, there was at least one hover vehicle somewhere in it, so clearly shuttles and transporters aren't used exclusively.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    faelon#8433 faelon Member Posts: 358 Arc User

The lack of vehicles in the live action Trek is largely a budget vs usefulness thing. Plus any future cars they build end up looking ridiculous. We’ve actually seen some form of rideable vehicles in every animated show. Lower Decks especially has Fed Utility 4x4’s in a number of episodes. Prodigy has a ground exploration vehicle that the Protostar can assemble if needed. The lower front of the ship is the garage.

This discussion has been closed.