What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The artwork in this game is truly exceptional - I wish I could actually see it

2»

Comments

• Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    The one that I find most annoying is the old yellow plasma storm one since it is mostly opaque (the neutronic eddies console from the Risan weather ship is not quite as annoying unless a bunch are stacked since they are far less opaque than whatever the yellowish one is).

The Beacon of Kahless is also annoying, though it only lasts a few seconds (perhaps the whiteout could be shortened by a second or two to make it less annoying).
  • Options
    garaffegaraffe Member Posts: 1,353 Arc User
    Beacon of Kahless, electrified anomalies, neutronic eddies, plasma storm, others I cant think of the names right now.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    In addition to those, all those passive abilities that let your ship glow, draw arrows on it or circles below it all the time - none of these convey any useful information whatsoever.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited December 2021
    That's why on first page I suggested this:

A drop-down in Graphic Preferences for Visual FX to apply for Space & Ground?
    ♦ Most Visible 77% of FX, Transparent 23%
    ♦ Visible 70% of FX, Transparent 30%
    ♦ Moderate Visibility 58% of FX, 42% Transparent
    ♦ Limited Visibility 50% of FX, 50% Transparent
    TX9Djcx.png
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    edited December 2021
    The full screen flashing on ship explosions effect is insane.

At this point it's a constant reminder of why I won't ever spend another penny in this game or on this company, I don't care who owns it. If you have the audacity to troll your own player base with such visual assaults that also obscure the gameplay, ignorance of the problem is no excuse, you deserve nothing and you will get nothing from me.

I've provided ways to try to reduce this insanity: 3rd Party Programs Reducing Screen Flashing. Unfortunately they don't work well enough as the program does not launch reliably.

I tried to just 'suck it up' 'get used to it' 'tough it out' but it won't do, I'm back to playing on minimal monitor brightness to reduce the intensity of the strobing. I have no issue with strobe lights and laser flashes in your eyes at night clubs, those are limited to when you attend and don't go on nonstop like it does in some TFOs here.

I play planetside2 and rarely get hit with a single actual flash bang in my face despite those grenades being dirt cheap to unlock and quite spammable provided a resupply terminal is nearby. The developers there have actually put work (imagine that) to reduce excess visual spam, most recently in the form of overshield glow.

Yes, visual spam and extreme strobing can happen there too as with recent bugs (pilot pistol ADS), plasma weapons (which have flash suppressor options), other muzzle flashes lacking such attachments (TMG50), special guns (lasher, C1 charger) and very large fights which actually indicate extreme hazards (every single effect is a projectile that has consequences) unlike in STO where the flashing is completely redundant, blinding, and uninformative. A lot of players actually dislike the plasma weapons as especially at night they strobe a lot and are blinding to fight with and against going by the feedback of so many in game and on the forums over time.

Just look at the state of STO and screen flashing, recorded back in 2020 following those changes where a dev decided to make many ship types explode with an added screen flash. Really wonder where they got that idea that players will enjoy it, as if anyone enjoys staring into a strobe light 'for the fun of it,' nevermind the risk of seizures, eye strain and annoyance which has already driven some STO friends away from the game or certain TFO content altogether.
    https://youtu.be/t5GoH9ywtFw
    https://youtu.be/8GP3XVFGQ1Q

Enough is enough!
    Post edited by alcyoneserene on
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Ground isn't spared from the strobing and excessive flashing effects that have zero options to tone them down.

Remember when Sci ability Dampening Field used to be blue? (not my video)
    https://youtu.be/c5YiOnVJOJU?t=287
    Now it's orange. That along with Eng shield are less transparent:
    F7BYk16.jpg

Abilities like Eng orbital strike strobes really harshly. It's worse on a 144hz monitor than on 60hz, and I've tried setting the in-game options to 60hz on 144hz monitor out of curiosity and it still feels almost as bad as on 144.
    2Nbzdyt.jpg

There's a ground kit, terran agony field or whatever it's called, that strobes really bad as a shrinking or enlarging pulse of orange, has really low cooldown and a lot of players use it since it's apparently really good.

Even relatively tame abilities like visual dampening field obscure the vision completely for many seconds. Is it really necessary for a smoke screen with cloak to also obscure the vision of its user?
    2JLNNbT.jpg

All I ask is the OPTION to have the strobing turned OFF, along with excessive visual spam on my own screen, so those that enjoy these effects in their full intensity can continue to unaffected.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
This discussion has been closed.