test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

comparing ED to STO?

aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
edited October 2021 in Ten Forward
Does anyone know if the maps have the same features. I did some exploring in the game in ED. Especially between sol and the heart and sol nebula. Does anyone know if those are the same. I can't figure out where those and the inbetwee nebula are. Where is Qo'nos from Ed's standpoint?

For instance where would the following nebula be?

Heart and Soul Nebula
California nebula
Whitch head nebula
Little dumbell nebula
NGC 1333(I think this was in orions belt area or something. Near horsehead nebula. Or near california nebula.)

I'm not sure if the normal map orientation I used in Elite dangerous is the same as the STO map.

Is the mutara / eridon nebula heart and soul? Or is orion where horshead it and Badlands near where heart and soul nebula are? Klingon space seems to be one of the galactic arms. And orion is south of sol on the map.

I've only seen ngc 4447 in sto and can't find where it is in ED.
Post edited by rattler2 on

Comments

• Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    All of those locations are real nebula and are generally all within about 900-1000 or so LY from Earth. You can easily look up any of their location on a star chart or on NASA's web site.

As for where something like Qo'nos would be in Elite Dangerous.. I don't know for sure, but Qo'nos was only about 90 Light Years from Earth, so it would be much closer then something like The California Nebula which is 1k LY away. If you were playing Elite, you could get a descent exploration ship like a Diamondback Explorer from Earth to Qo'nos in 2 jumps. :smiley:
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    edited October 2021
    That is much closer than I thought. Yea I have a near max jump anocanda. But I don't play much anymore. I thought it was bigger than this.

My search results have been hijacked by previous views of sto other results. It only gives me bad ED or sto links and I can't find any information atm.

Can't find a single reference to azure nebula or ngc 4447 outside of endless start trek results.. I used to get tons of nasa and other websites while playing ed... I think google has messed me up because I only play one game at a time.

Sorry, that information is not easy to look up. It's all earth based information and very scarce.
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    aftulus wrote: »
    That is much closer than I thought. Yea I have a near max jump anocanda. But I don't play much anymore. I thought it was bigger than this.

Yeah, I have a fully kitted exploration Anaconda that can do just under 70LY so that makes it even closer.

Funny thing, when I played ED (I don't play much anymore) I made my home system LHS 3006 because there is a planet there named Vulcan and the station is Leonard Nemoy Station. I always thought that was cool.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    I don't know anything about ED specifically, but there have been a number of attempts to make Star Trek fit the real world star maps. One of the better ones is here:

atavachron.wikidot.com/calendars:base-maps
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    What the hell is ED?
  • Options
    vincetzuwu#5400 vincetzuwu Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    What the hell is ED?

Elite Dangerous
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,020 Community Moderator
    Moved to 10 Forward
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,366 Arc User
    Qo'noS is "out there". How far away it is depends on which story you're referencing, as Star Trek quite deliberately avoided real star designations for the most part (and a good job, as the one real star openly referenced onscreen in TOS, Gamma Trianguli, is an A-class young white star surrounded by a pre-planetary debris cloud that may never get the chance to coalesce into planets because of the star's rotational velocity, and definitely doesn't host an Earthlike planet as shown in "The Apple"). There are a couple of stellar systems that were intended for reference - for example, Vulcan orbits 40 Eridani A, and Wolf 359, while a red dwarf that hosts no useful planets, made a good rallying point for the Starfleet flotilla assembling to defend Earth in "The Best of Both Worlds pt 2" - but for the most part, they don't map directly to anything real. Qo'noS, ch'Rihan, even Andor (which was once assumed to orbit Procyon, but now can't because of the Battle of Procyon V, which would have been the Battle of Andor if it were there) are all as locatable on a real-world star map as Gallifrey or Narnia.

(On a side note, there is a gas giant orbiting 40 Eridani A within its Goldilocks zone; if we assume a potential super-Earth orbiting that gas giant as a moon, Vulcan could still be there!) :wink:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Qo'noS is "out there". How far away it is depends on which story you're referencing, as Star Trek quite deliberately avoided real star designations for the most part (and a good job, as the one real star openly referenced onscreen in TOS, Gamma Trianguli, is an A-class young white star surrounded by a pre-planetary debris cloud that may never get the chance to coalesce into planets because of the star's rotational velocity, and definitely doesn't host an Earthlike planet as shown in "The Apple"). There are a couple of stellar systems that were intended for reference - for example, Vulcan orbits 40 Eridani A, and Wolf 359, while a red dwarf that hosts no useful planets, made a good rallying point for the Starfleet flotilla assembling to defend Earth in "The Best of Both Worlds pt 2" - but for the most part, they don't map directly to anything real. Qo'noS, ch'Rihan, even Andor (which was once assumed to orbit Procyon, but now can't because of the Battle of Procyon V, which would have been the Battle of Andor if it were there) are all as locatable on a real-world star map as Gallifrey or Narnia.

(On a side note, there is a gas giant orbiting 40 Eridani A within its Goldilocks zone; if we assume a potential super-Earth orbiting that gas giant as a moon, Vulcan could still be there!) :wink:

That could also help resolve Spock's statement that Vulcan has no moon with a few scenes on Vulcan that show something like a large moon in the sky, given that Spock was known for being somewhat literal about some things if that was the planet Vulcan is itself a moon of.
  • Options
    Is this a necro? Kinda smells like a necro.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Is this a necro? Kinda smells like a necro.

Technically, it is a necro since the rules state "Posting to an old thread which has not been posted to in 30 days or more." However, since it is only 4 days after the 30 day deadline, then it is likely up to the Community Moderator's discretion.
  • Options
    Yea... I think I'll elect to torpedo this fresh zombie.
    Besides... ED and STO are two different genres set in different realities so to speak, so trying to compare them to each other, at least in my opinion, doesn't really work out. Especially in stellar cartography.

*Casts Holy Photon Torpedo*
This discussion has been closed.