1235»

Comments

• Options
    theanothernametheanothername Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    Terran Emperor Lorca?

Maybe; maybe not ;)
  • Options
    paradox#7391 paradox Member Posts: 1,777 Arc User
    Seems pointless to put all that effort into building the Terran ESD and not use it, it's gorgeous, definitely social zone material at the very least, also we got a portal to both universes, check out this video from ZEFilms, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHCe9eBG20&lc=UgxKOL9ZOJnUOHsnbPh4AaABAg.9SLKJlikWGP9SQ7q7iU35O
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    leemwatson wrote: »
    Except Firewall effectively backs-up the 'never happening' in this case.
    The mirror-us at the end?
    It's not the final nail in the coffin (IMHO anyway), but it does put a damper on the idea. That being said, things change.
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    joshmaul wrote: »
    leemwatson wrote: »
    Except Firewall effectively backs-up the 'never happening' in this case.
    The mirror-us at the end?
    It's not the final nail in the coffin (IMHO anyway), but it does put a damper on the idea. That being said, things change.

people with "Terran Toons" can explain it away as a transporter duplicate, like Thomas Riker.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    Just say you're from the other Mirror Universe? The one that had the cool yellow markings and the ISS Molly.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,790 Arc User
    Seems pointless to put all that effort into building the Terran ESD and not use it, it's gorgeous, definitely social zone material at the very least, also we got a portal to both universes, check out this video from ZEFilms, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKHCe9eBG20&lc=UgxKOL9ZOJnUOHsnbPh4AaABAg.9SLKJlikWGP9SQ7q7iU35O

I don't know if I would call it, building. It's just a cloned map that was retextured. I definitely want playable Terrans though! PWE definitely doesn't like to waste their time on unique assets though for one-off missions and TFO's though.
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    I'll say again: I am not interested in playing a Terran Captain. Not as my main.

If they allowed us to play as renegade Terrans then I would make one just to see the story. It's a safe bet that they would merge with the rest of us at level 10 so it would be a quick and easy look.

If there was a Terran recruitment event and they had bonuses for everyone based upon leveling that toon, then I suppose I would get around to it in time, but it would never be a priority.

As far as CBS, well, things change. I doubt anyone would have greenlit graphic violence and cursing in Star Trek not too long ago either, but we got that. The current state of Star Trek doesn't get to pretend that it is the family-friendly franchise that it once was. I have never seen an episode of Disco or Picard, but I have seen enough clips to know this.

Anyway, if they set up the story as you being a renegade, opposing the Terran Empire from the start, then no one is really playing "space Germans", right? They may live in "space Germany", but they are not followers of the cause.

But still, I go back to my thought that the Mirror Universe should be used sparingly. I am not advocating for playable Mirror universe characters, but the possibility seems obvious.
  • Options
    I'll say again: I am not interested in playing a Terran Captain. Not as my main.

If they allowed us to play as renegade Terrans then I would make one just to see the story. It's a safe bet that they would merge with the rest of us at level 10 so it would be a quick and easy look.

If there was a Terran recruitment event and they had bonuses for everyone based upon leveling that toon, then I suppose I would get around to it in time, but it would never be a priority.

As far as CBS, well, things change. I doubt anyone would have greenlit graphic violence and cursing in Star Trek not too long ago either, but we got that. The current state of Star Trek doesn't get to pretend that it is the family-friendly franchise that it once was. I have never seen an episode of Disco or Picard, but I have seen enough clips to know this.

Anyway, if they set up the story as you being a renegade, opposing the Terran Empire from the start, then no one is really playing "space Germans", right? They may live in "space Germany", but they are not followers of the cause.

But still, I go back to my thought that the Mirror Universe should be used sparingly. I am not advocating for playable Mirror universe characters, but the possibility seems obvious.

still failing to see the space germans, space soviets maybe but not space germans.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,507 Arc User
    edited September 2021

still failing to see the space germans, space soviets maybe but not space germans.

I don't see the various depictions of the Mirror Universe being solid and consistent enough to identify it with that kind of precision. The style varies wildly, in TOS it literally was a mirror where the virtues on one side were the vices of the other and so on, with the ships and people in the same places doing more or less the same thing in each though the details were the opposite to each other.

One clue that most people seem to miss is that the TOS ISS Enterprise never got the nacelle replacement that the Federation version did (the needles were removed from, and the spheres added to the back of, the nacelles between the second pilot and the series itself) which implies that they probably found the buoy left by the previous ship to find the galactic barrier and simply didn't bother to investigate further.

Later shows made it more generic and less in step with the the normal Trek universe, ENT going so far as to almost entirely break the causal connection with the paradox created by the Tholian's grab of the future Defiant. And DSC follows the ramifications of that paradox which results in the greatest divergence of any of them.

Taken all together no single real-world authoritarian regime actually matches it, it would require blending several at least.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    There's heavy Roman influence, but I'd say the Mirror Universe is just a case of all those authoritarian regimes succeeding where they failed in Prime, at least up to a point (they still likely got taken out by rivals eventually) - so Napoleon, Pol Pot, The Guy With The Moustache, Stalin, Khan, etc..​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    joshmauljoshmaul Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Some novels (non-canon, I realize, but... so is STO, to be fair) have Khan as Emperor at some point. The novel "The Sorrows of Empire" (which details Spock's rise to power over the Empire and its downfall to the Klingon-Cardassian Alliance) mentions a descendant being a potential replacement for Spock, implying that Khan's dynasty had ruled in the past - likely before Hoshi Sato (the book being released before Discovery, Georgiou is of course not involved at all; Hoshi was said to have ensured she would rule forever by use of clones).
    TW1sr57.jpg
    "There's No Way Like Poway!"

Real Join Date: October 2010
  • Options
    livinlifejb90#4082 livinlifejb90 Member Posts: 218 Arc User
    There's heavy Roman influence, but I'd say the Mirror Universe is just a case of all those authoritarian regimes succeeding where they failed in Prime, at least up to a point (they still likely got taken out by rivals eventually) - so Napoleon, Pol Pot, The Guy With The Moustache, Stalin, Khan, etc..​​

I think the MU takes various traits from all of the worst would be empires tbh. They've got some Roman ambitions, Definitely some Stalinism, and most definitely 1930's/1940's (word I can't say) German ideals.

I think they are more an amalgamation of all of them.
    gQytlm7.jpg
  • Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User

I'm just borrowing the analogy that was used.

Not commenting upon how accurate or inaccurate I may think it is.
This discussion has been closed.