test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Discovery Weapons and Beam Overload

toddmillhousetoddmillhouse Member Posts: 59 Arc User
Having tried all the Discovery ship weapons, with both Fire At Will and Beam Overload, I find they are most effective with Fire At Will. I'm not seeing the same damage with them compared to standard phasers when using Beam Overload. Plus honestly the audio and visuals of them just don't have any impact. So with Lower DPS and Audio and Visuals that are lacking I highly recommend Fire At Will if you are using Discovery Weapons, Sensor-Linked, Integrity-Linked, Emitter-Linked or the 32c phasers or 32c refit phasers. Sadly this also applies to the Kelvin Timeline weapons. None of these shot weapons work well with Beam Overload.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,637 Arc User
    I've not seen any large difference in damage between them and regular Phasers under Beam Overload or FAW. I wonder if maybe you got some lucky shield-offline Phaser procs in your testing, or perhaps things weren't quite a matched between them such as [mod]s and gear.

Looks wise, that's all subjective. Under Beam Overload: I like the 23C Discovery Phasers' blobs, am kinda neutral on 32C Discovery, and actively dislike the Kelvin Timeline weapons' red comet-like looks.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    tom61sto wrote: »
    I've not seen any large difference in damage between them and regular Phasers under Beam Overload or FAW. I wonder if maybe you got some lucky shield-offline Phaser procs in your testing, or perhaps things weren't quite a matched between them such as [mod]s and gear.

Looks wise, that's all subjective. Under Beam Overload: I like the 23C Discovery Phasers' blobs, am kinda neutral on 32C Discovery, and actively dislike the Kelvin Timeline weapons' red comet-like looks.

It's either this or they're likely bugged...
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I don't see this myself. I use the wide dual beam bank from the Disco rep on a number of ships and it does BO just fine.
  • Options
    raijinmeister#1931 raijinmeister Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    Having tried all the Discovery ship weapons, with both Fire At Will and Beam Overload, I find they are most effective with Fire At Will. I'm not seeing the same damage with them compared to standard phasers when using Beam Overload. Plus honestly the audio and visuals of them just don't have any impact. So with Lower DPS and Audio and Visuals that are lacking I highly recommend Fire At Will if you are using Discovery Weapons, Sensor-Linked, Integrity-Linked, Emitter-Linked or the 32c phasers or 32c refit phasers. Sadly this also applies to the Kelvin Timeline weapons. None of these shot weapons work well with Beam Overload.

What kind of test you did? Because I use the wide-angle beam bank from the discovery faction and is pretty effective in my beam overload build.
    But I agree they have both VFX and sound effects that are not really impactful. I avoid as much as I can using any of those phaser variants.
  • Options
    phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,511 Arc User
    They look and sound even worse in the show itself, it makes the combat scenes fall flat.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,395 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    Cryptic has always been bad when it involves making sounds for canon weapons, with the results always ending somewhere between "not exactly this but close enough I guess" and "did you even watch the show/movie with the sound on?".

For me, the worst offender was and always is the Kelvin Timeline torpedoes, especially since they have such a distinctive, consistent (and pretty cool) sound in the movies and apparently it was even explained how it was made it.
    That and the Tommy Gun.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    aftulusaftulus Member Posts: 668 Arc User
    "did you even watch the show/movie with the sound on?".

That would take an insane amount of bravery. Or a coma state.
  • Options
    chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    aftulus wrote: »
    "did you even watch the show/movie with the sound on?".

That would take an insane amount of bravery. Or a coma state.

I just finished re-watching S2 of Disco last night, and I enjoyed it quite a bit more than I did when it was new, and I noticed a lot of little things that escaped me the first time. The aggravating parts are still aggravating. For example -

It's the battle for the survival of all sentient life in the galaxy, every second counts, but they make time for Stamets to have a romantic reunion with his doctor boyfriend, that goes on and on. Or at the last second, Michael and Spock have to take time for ham-handed emo dialogue. But that's TV for you, I suppose.

I then watched E1 of S3, and I will admit to having mixed emotions about that, but I suppose they're doing the best they can.

Or maybe Disco just seems not-so-bad to me because Picard was so painfully lame.

Back on topic, I don't use phasers. I'm a science guy, and beam weapons are an afterthought for me, mostly there for set bonuses.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    They look and sound even worse in the show itself, it makes the combat scenes fall flat.

Funnily enough, this is something I agree with - the way they have them presented makes them feel like flare gun shots; I know they were trying to mimic the style of phaser from the KT movies, but they really should've gone the opposite direction and make the beams more Freespace-style, so they actually have some impact to them...ironically enough, both the S31 ships and the Enterprise's during the S2 finale WERE like that, and they did indeed have impact.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • Options
    toddmillhousetoddmillhouse Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    As far as tests, I used the same ship Miracle Worker Flight Deck Carrier, with beams both Normal Phasers and the Disco Sensor-Linked Phasers in a Conduit TFO, and the DPS from the 2 runs were off by about 10% between the two types of weapons. And all the weapons were modded the same MK XV (Epic) CrtD/Dm, Dmgx4.
  • Options
    legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited September 2021
    One test each isn't really enough data to work with, as there's damage variance (and piloting, for that matter, or lag...consoles...traits - I'm assuming they were the same between tests, but you never know) to consider, and unless you were pulling DPS numbers in excess of 100k or so, a 10% difference could easily fall within that variance.​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
This discussion has been closed.