test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Fixing the Dil Exchange (No, Really!)

Comments

• yougetbanned#1188 yougetbanned Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    westmetals wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of that would be comparable to existing items and yet desirable, would be Romulan Science and Engineer BOFFs with SRO.

if you truly care about space deeps you make an alien ROM with a full SRO crew. Otherwise the Vanguards from the Gamma exp pack are more than adequate account-wide substitute for all your characters. Even reclaimable in case you'd dump them. With an embassy SRO you'd have to rebuy it.
  • gaynomolygaynomoly Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Today I was disgusted. The Zen has dried up yet we need more ways to spend dilithium? They have so many Zen related sales I have no need to worry about stockpiled dilithium. Why is this not an issue for them? You can spend real money for Zen. So instead make more ways to use dilithium- Today was a reroll and pass. I do it daily and usually have 47 endeavor rerolls and at least 39 admirality passes at all times. We just had 2 terrible years of economy but this is just a game and real world issues do not affect STO I guess.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    With the Exchange inert...that's it. You can only buy something from the C-Store, buy actually spending money to buy Zen. Over the years, people have always said that it's free-to-play and you never had to spend a penny to get what you want...but if you can't even grind to be able to buy something, then that's just cruel for the focus of the game to always be about the C-Store. Either there needs to be new outlets, like more interesting and varied items in the Dilithium Store...more vanity shields, purchasable Lobi Crystals, the buyouts on the Rep System being Dilithium instead, etc.

It's a real kick in the teeth otherwise.
  • nixie50nixie50 Member Posts: 1,268 Arc User
    I have not read through all three pages, I'll admit it. a short term solution to the glut would be a temporary dil exchange for lobi.. OR the ability to buy lobi ships you already own to unlock the ship for another character. and I think even if you make it semi ridiculously high, the folks with the glut of dil might dump enough to get the exchange back to balance. admittedly, it would be a temporary solution, and would hit Cryptic in the pocket book since folks would not be buying keys to open boxes to get lobi.
    u7acy6aymfw7.gif
    We Need BERETS in the tailor
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    nixie50 wrote: »
    I have not read through all three pages, I'll admit it. a short term solution to the glut would be a temporary dil exchange for lobi.. OR the ability to buy lobi ships you already own to unlock the ship for another character. and I think even if you make it semi ridiculously high, the folks with the glut of dil might dump enough to get the exchange back to balance. admittedly, it would be a temporary solution, and would hit Cryptic in the pocket book since folks would not be buying keys to open boxes to get lobi.

I'd give anything to be able to rebox some of the ships on my main toon, not to sell them, because I know they'll never agree to that, but to be able to move them onto my other toons...a bit like the vanity shields are account unlocked. Over the years, I just collected them on one character, then made more and don't feel strongly enough to pay exchange prices for the same ships that I have and don't use on one toon, etc.

Ship reboxing tokens, or the ability to move character bound things across the account...that would be a dream come true.
  • drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    I thought of one I know people will see as unpopular, but It's done in other games. But make the dil exchange serve also as a small sink that scales up as dil supply goes up: % fees.

No, seriously.

If I sell 1000 zen for 500 dil a piece, I should have to pay 50 for each zen sold. Say, 10% for sellers and buyers. I'd pay 50(paying 50 dil of that 500), but hey, it removes excess. If someones buying zen from me, they have to pay an additional 50 dil per zen. The rate is still technically 500, but I only get 450 and they are paying 50 extra. The 100 dil in that exchange is then just removed.

I know people will hate this idea but really if it removes SOME of that dil every time, it'd make it much, much harder for people to flood the dil exchange with dilithium to zen requests and the more they are demanding at a time, the more in 'fees' they have to pay. If a person can afford to try and buy zen at 500 dil a piece and theres over 700 THOUSAND zen being requested(Seriously look at the sell zen tab), they can probably afford to pay more dil to be removed forever.

Likewise the lower the dil to zen ratio gets, the amount would go down proportionately, so if it gets down to the healthy 250-300 mark then the fee would drop proportionately.

Basically, the idea makes the market demand also remove more dil from the exchange the higher the supply for dil is. It'd soft cap it.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    Why not put a cap on sales? You get artificial and don't meddle with people not particularly interested in purchasing.
    laughinxan wrote: »
    I thought of one I know people will see as unpopular, but It's done in other games. But make the dil exchange serve also as a small sink that scales up as dil supply goes up: % fees.

No, seriously.

If I sell 1000 zen for 500 dil a piece, I should have to pay 50 for each zen sold. Say, 10% for sellers and buyers. I'd pay 50(paying 50 dil of that 500), but hey, it removes excess. If someones buying zen from me, they have to pay an additional 50 dil per zen. The rate is still technically 500, but I only get 450 and they are paying 50 extra. The 100 dil in that exchange is then just removed.

I know people will hate this idea but really if it removes SOME of that dil every time, it'd make it much, much harder for people to flood the dil exchange with dilithium to zen requests and the more they are demanding at a time, the more in 'fees' they have to pay. If a person can afford to try and buy zen at 500 dil a piece and theres over 700 THOUSAND zen being requested(Seriously look at the sell zen tab), they can probably afford to pay more dil to be removed forever.

Likewise the lower the dil to zen ratio gets, the amount would go down proportionately, so if it gets down to the healthy 250-300 mark then the fee would drop proportionately.

Basically, the idea makes the market demand also remove more dil from the exchange the higher the supply for dil is. It'd soft cap it.

Why would anyone pay the "tax" for the desired commodity? It's not just that I hate it but that it's so far removed from the reality of the problem it would exacerbate the problem further. People are lining up and complaining that their dilithium isn't being traded for zen because it offers insufficient value. This won't encourage people to part with zen for even less value. If that that "worked" people purchasing zen would be more inclined to spend it on zen purchases, or buy less of it.

If you applied a tax to the dilithium sellers and stripped dilithium from their stock as "tax" (20% to start with and see how that flies) you would be removing some of the surplus from the market.

I think there should be a hard vendor's license renewed monthly that costs the equivalent of a couple coffees. $5.

battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    20% is way too steep.
    more like 4-5% like other MMOs.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited August 2021
    It would some work of the part of the devs but let's "Trekify" the experience for funsies. We could have Madran swoop in as your middle man and extend the privilege of helping your dilithium reach buyers. Imagine the amusement and hijinx when 20% of your dilithium vanishes into his "supply chain" 😅 . They might even be able to fill the queues for a follow up, "Ruin Madran's Day" TFO 😃.

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    It also does not address the core issue of LACK OF DEMAND FOR DILITHIUM. Even if you did tax the DL exchange... it ain't going to do squat if there is no demand for Dilithium in the first place. It will sit just like it is now.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    > @rattler2 said:
    > 20% is way too steep.
    > more like 4-5% like other MMOs.

My number was arbitrary because I was spitballing. I looked at the 10%/10% split and threw it together on the dil sellers side because the 10% on the zen sale side would discourage the desirable transaction.

@coldnapalm

Bingo! Reducing for profit dil supply could create scarcity. A high "tax" potentially has two effects.

1. It discourages some sellers from selling. These people want to bunker up with all their dilithium and dream of a day when they will sell at 150/z or some other old timey number they gravitate toward. Good. They aren't in the seller lineup and that keeps other sellers closing rather than complaining about stagnation.

2. It persistently chips way at surplus. Every sale contributes to a persistent takeaway.

This isn't a stopgap solution. It's a perpetual governor as active as the market it's imposed on. It hits every seller the proportionally and by units moved should hit the biggest sellers the hardest. It isn't the solution because there isn't one. It would work in concert with whatever measures are implemented.

• drunkflux#5679 drunkflux Member Posts: 215 Arc User
    @coldnapalm

Bingo! Reducing for profit dil supply could create scarcity. A high "tax" potentially has two effects.

1. It discourages some sellers from selling. These people want to bunker up with all their dilithium and dream of a day when they will sell at 150/z or some other old timey number they gravitate toward. Good. They aren't in the seller lineup and that keeps other sellers closing rather than complaining about stagnation.

2. It persistently chips way at surplus. Every sale contributes to a persistent takeaway.

This isn't a stopgap solution. It's a perpetual governor as active as the market it's imposed on. It hits every seller the proportionally and by units moved should hit the biggest sellers the hardest. It isn't the solution because there isn't one. It would work in concert with whatever measures are implemented.

"It isn't a solution because there isn't one"

This one gets it. Just adding one new sink will have zero longterm, or even zero short term, effect.

It isn't by itself a solution, just an idea I had that I figure needed to be brought onto the table. I also thought of it since yes, other games do it.

Other sinks would still be important, the main advantage this one would have is largely that it'd scale with excess dilithium; if theres more going towards zen exchange more is going to be removed over time. The trouble is any money sink for currencies that are 'vender' based lose effectiveness over time.

Honestly, it's almost like we're going to have to see a near overhaul to really get dilithium under control.

Thinking of ideas from lots of games for, dunno how long now.
This discussion has been closed.