DELL Optiplex 7010 Desktop Computer
    Intel Core i7 Up to 3.8GHz Max Turbo Frequency,
    16GB DDR3,
    New 1TB SSD,
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit,
    WiFi, USB 3.0,
    DVDRW, 2X Display Port.
    and according to the product page/more info,

Date First Available May 13, 2019 Now that 'may' mean first date available on Amazon.
    Post edited by matzdaad on
    MatzDaad
    Fleet: 8th Expeditionary Command
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    matzdaadmatzdaad Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    edited August 2021
    protoneous wrote: »
    Per my comment above you may not necessarily be able to use just any card. It would depend upon which model of Dell 7010 you purchased. You could potentially have size and/or power issues with some cards depending upon its form factor. Fortunately there's lots of information out there on what works, fits, and what's needed for upgrading various Dell refurbs.

I think it's great you have something newer en route and am sure you'll be able to use it, your GT 710, or potentially something better in it to get your STO up and running very soon and in an economical manner.

The GTX 1650 (4GT OC) is small form factor. A video showing the 1650 installed in a 7010 SFF, but I won't know which till I can do a dxdiag.

Edit: Going by the photo it looks lik I am getting a SSF (small form factor)
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    matzdaad wrote: »
    DELL Optiplex 7010 Desktop Computer
    Intel Core i7 Up to 3.8GHz Max Turbo Frequency,
    16GB DDR3,
    New 1TB SSD,
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit,
    WiFi, USB 3.0,
    DVDRW, 2X Display Port.
    and according to the product page/more info,

Date First Available May 13, 2019

According to this sheet, the 7010 was introduced 'Mid 2012' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_OptiPlex
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    According to this sheet, the 7010 was introduced 'Mid 2012' https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_OptiPlex

If the product page was wrong it will simply go back. (maybe)

Edit: It may still turn out to be better than my current one however, time will tell.

1. CPU i5 to i7
    2. Graphics HD2000 to HD4600
    3. Drive 500GB HDD to 1 Terabyte SSD
    4. RAM 12GB to 16GB (Both DD3)
    5. OS Win10 Home to Win10 Pro
    6. No WiFi to Wifi
    7. No Bluetooth to Bluetooth

So it looks like an overall improvement. :-)

More Edit: Called Amazon support and I can unbox and test, if it is not better I still have a 30 day window to return.

MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,993 Arc User
    Per my comment above you may not necessarily be able to use just any card. It would depend upon which model of Dell 7010 you purchased. You could potentially have size and/or power issues with some cards depending upon its form factor. Fortunately there's lots of information out there on what works, fits, and what's needed for upgrading various Dell refurbs.

I think it's great you have something newer en route and am sure you'll be able to use it, your GT 710, or potentially something better in it to get your STO up and running very soon and in an economical manner.

The GTX 1650 (4GT OC) is small form factor. A video showing the 1650 installed in a 7010 SFF, but I won't know which till I can do a dxdiag.

Dell 7010's come in four different sizes from ultra-SFF to mini-tower. Discrete GPU selection can depend upon what size you purchased. Here's some specs for the lineup -

https://dell.com/support/manuals/en-si/optiplex-7010/opti7010_usff/specifications?guid=guid-157e8495-34d3-4efa-ab61-1d9efba4c90e

7ypGwC2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2021

Dell 7010's come in four different sizes from ultra-SFF to mini-tower. Discrete GPU selection can depend upon what size you purchased. Here's some specs for the lineup -

https://dell.com/support/manuals/en-si/optiplex-7010/opti7010_usff/specifications?guid=guid-157e8495-34d3-4efa-ab61-1d9efba4c90e

7ypGwC2.jpg

From left to right I'm getting the second, plain SFF.

Re: your link, How do I get from the USFF page to the SFF page?

PS: That pic of all models helped, easy to compare amazon pic to #2.

1,2,4 are USFF, SFF, and Mini-Tower (MT)? What is #3?
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Whoaaa! I have been going into STO under STO safe-mode so I could SEE things...
    I just went in NOT in safe-mode and I could SEE! Even ran the video card from nothing to medium and the CPU up to75%.
    Didn't notice much change in graphics detail but the screen didn't go black on me. Somebody must be doing something!

And there is another scheduled upgrade tomorrow, cross your fingers.
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    edited August 2021
    meimeitoo wrote: »

It may be as old but the CPU is an i7 not an i5, 16 instead of 12GB ram, 1 Terrabye SSD instead of 500GB HDD and so on.
    Plus it is newly refurbished, not refurbished 5 or 6 years ago like my present set-up.

So even given its age (which I should be able to pinpoint with a DXDIAG) it seems a good replacement for what I have now.
    Mid 2012, as DELL replaces models in 12 to 18 months it could be Mid 2013 or early 2014. Who knows?

Anyway, it's coming in 2 days... Edit: Make that the 27th according to UPS/tracking.
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Rats! Now I can't even get in using safe-mode. I check safe-mode in options/save.
    Hit engage but there is no window to pick 'reduced graphics' and I'm back to being blind.
    Will re-try after the maintenance if over. (Hasn't started yet here on the east coast).
    Practically no change, blind most of the time but things do pop in and sometimes stay around a good bit.
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,993 Arc User
    Some links for you. Hope they help.
    The GTX 1650 (4GT OC) is small form factor.
    This article seems to agree that a 1650 compact model is a choice for the largest unsupported graphics card for a 7010 SFF (once graphics card prices come back down to earth).

https://hardware-corner.net/guides/best-dedicated-gpu-for-dell-optiplex/
    Re: your link, How do I get from the USFF page to the SFF page?
    Here's a link for all things Optiplex 7010 - https://dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/optiplex-7010/docs
    CPU i5 to i7, Graphics HD2000 to HD4600, Drive 500GB HDD to 1 Terabyte SSD, RAM 12GB to 16GB (Both DD3), OS Win10 Home to Win10 Pro, No WiFi to Wifi, No Bluetooth to Bluetooth
    All the things you listed are nice but just wanted to re-emphasize that for gaming graphics performance is more important than any of these items aside from the 1 year newer 2012 on-board graphics that comes with the Dell 7010. You're still likely going to have to swap the GT 710 from your Gateway or install an aftermarket card to see a significant improvement. Hopefully given the way your old PC seems to be working the new system will prove to be more reliable and consistent.

List of video cards that originally came with Dell 7010's - https://dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000149953/optiplex-graphics-card-options-discrete-video#OptiPlex_7010

Stock 7010 Dell discrete GPU card for sale - Link
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    All the things you listed are nice but just wanted to re-emphasize that for gaming graphics performance is more important than any of these items aside from the 1 year newer 2012 on-board graphics that comes with the Dell 7010. You're still likely going to have to swap the GT 710 from your Gateway or install an aftermarket card to see a significant improvement. Hopefully given the way your old PC seems to be working the new system will prove to be more reliable and consistent.

I managed to find the SFF/manual page but thanks.
    I do intend to put the 710 in but I want to see what the i7 integrated graphics are like first.
    Down the road a bit when prices stabilize I am thinking of a 1060 or similar,
    but as I am 71 I don't know how long that road is, with luck a good 10 or 15 more years :smiley:

I am replacing more for the reason that my Gateway was refurbished 5 or 6 years ago (at least)
    and the Dell is freshly refurbished.

Matz

MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    edited August 2021
    Rats! Now I can't even get in using safe-mode. I check safe-mode in options/save.
    Hit engage but there is no window to pick 'reduced graphics' and I'm back to being blind.
    Will re-try after the maintenance if over. (Hasn't started yet here on the east coast).
    Practically no change, blind most of the time but things do pop in and sometimes stay around a good bit.

I must be losing my mind! I disable Intel HD for STO then enable again when I leave.
    When I realized that I was still enabled I disabled and was able to 'see' again and all my characters 'requested DOFF's'
    and collected/re-assigned DOFF assignments.

Matz
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    edited August 2021
    7010 up and running, went into STO but still had to use safe-mode (although response was a lot quicker).
    After a bit of reworking (the 3 connections on the 710 had to be changed to DVI and HDMI in one slot and VGA in the second.
    Had already downloaded Geforce experience and the latest drivers (10 Aug 21). Gets me in without safe-mode and I can finally get around and do stuff. Movement is smooth and graphics are pretty good so it should hold me till I can get something like the 1650.

Thanks tons for everyone's help!

Matz.

Edit: Re still had to use safe-mode, I forgot new STO needed -ArcOverlayEnable 0 put in command line.
    No problems with having to use safe-mode now.
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012

• Options
    edited September 2021
    This may be deleted.
    MatzDaad
    Member since 2/15/2012